Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #7725 (ISO) » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:31 am

Post by popsofctown »

After the ban it doesn't really seem possible for Neoform to not at least be part of the Nash equilibrium deck choices for modern.
Grafdigger's cage is great... if you get to play at least one turn of magic.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #7726 (ISO) » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:24 pm

Post by Micc »

Yeah, there's always going to be a subset of decks that don't have the tools to consistently answer the questions neoform asks. Thankfully there are enough answers now with the printing of force of negation because without that card I think neoform is broken.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7727 (ISO) » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:32 am

Post by popsofctown »

Man it's a pretty cheap deck
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7728 (ISO) » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:02 am

Post by popsofctown »

I'm gonna put 2 Veil of Summer in my dredge sideboard
Spicy or stupid?
Ravenous Trap is black even if colored mana wasn't spent to cast it.
"Well, I..."
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7729 (ISO) » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:25 am

Post by Micc »

I imagine it would be fine for counter-boarding against ravenous trap, although pretty narrow. Veil has been at its best for me as a counter to thoughtsieze/IoK, and that doesn't seem like something dredge puts to good use. Note that I've never actually tried playing dredge.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7730 (ISO) » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:19 am

Post by popsofctown »

Ravenous Trap is a little disproportionately popular at my local store meta.
What would be broader? Leyline of Sanctity?
Most decklists I look at online don't seem to have any cards in the 75 targeted at Ravenous Trap because it's totally different than the ones needed for Leyline of the Void which is more popular globally but I feel like given the info that RavTrap is very popular at my store I should pick up some percentage on that somehow.
It doesn't really have to be a 0 or 1 drop really, I notice people are careful to hold back and not cast RavTrap until a later turn.
Wait
Do I run
GRUUL SPELLBREAKER???
"Well, I..."
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7731 (ISO) » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:28 pm

Post by Micc »

Veil sounds like the best fit for what you're looking for. I've been happy with it against any blue/black deck because at worst it cycles for 1. Dredging in response to things like surgical extraction seems pretty nifty too.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7732 (ISO) » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:06 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Cool

The moment I give up looking for the blasting zone I know that I have somewhere and start cracking these war of the spark packs I'd prefer sealed, I will immediately find the misplaced blasting zone
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7733 (ISO) » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:57 pm

Post by popsofctown »

It took 6 of my loose packs and a quarter of the box to hit the first blasting zone
Opening a pack with foil bolas's citadel and T3feri and feeling disappointed was weird

I wanted to keep the box sealed as a memento of doing well at the GP :(
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7734 (ISO) » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:16 am

Post by popsofctown »

Some post Hogaak-ban dredge league results have come out now. People weren't trying Hogaak at all in dredge before the ban probably because if you were playing the inferior graveyard deck it was probably to avoid buying any cards whatsoever.

The card people are cutting to fit him in is Prized Amalgam it looks like. But Prized Amalgam seems SO GOOD. All the cards in dredge seem so good... is the thing.
It seems so wrong to cut a card that can help cast Hogaak itself. There's a part of you that wants to cut a nongreen nonblack Narcomoeba but you definitely don't want to cut Narcomoebas when you still have 4 Prized Amalgams.
I cut one of the Conflagrates instead. Both Conflagrate and Hogaak are dredges that say "how can I get the last 6 damage". But the other thing is adding Forgotten Cave to the deck should mean a lot of change to the LftL a jillion times -> big conflagrate play pattern when it is not competing with the LftL -> Cycle Forgotten Cave and spray both face damage -and- chump blockers play pattern.
I almost want to double down on Forgotten Cave. Such a crazy land cycle.
Then in addition to cutting Conflagrate I cut one of the black dredge 3-4s, can't remember if it was thug or darkblast, for a Dryad Arbor. This I anticipate regretting and doubling back on but I want it to be good.
"Well, I..."
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7735 (ISO) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:48 pm

Post by Micc »

I ended up 7-9 (2-4 limited, 5-5 modern). Lots of ups and downs, good plays and bad ones. Pretty happy with the result and real glad to have been lucky enough to have such an awesome opportunity. I'd say I'm hoping for another one, but the future of high level organized play in paper is looking really grim and that makes me sad.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7736 (ISO) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:54 pm

Post by popsofctown »

In post 7735, Micc wrote:I ended up 7-9 (2-4 limited, 5-5 modern). Lots of ups and downs, good plays and bad ones. Pretty happy with the result and real glad to have been lucky enough to have such an awesome opportunity. I'd say I'm hoping for another one, but the future of high level organized play in paper is looking really grim and that makes me sad.
Yeah it is rapidly becoming a concern and since organized play support is 90% of my preference for MtG over other options it is impacting me.

I am scheduled to skip FNM to play a board game I like this Friday even though I just updated my dredge deck.
"Well, I..."
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7737 (ISO) » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:59 am

Post by DeathNote »

I'm taking a break from magic. I was out of town for about 10 days and couldn't play at all so I was eager to get back into it.

But then I remember how much I hate the RNG of it and how frustrating it can be and how toxic it makes me.

Yeah I'm just going to stop playing so I can stop beating my head into a wall (literally sometimes)
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: With the Flying Pumpkin That Shoots Laser Beams Out Of It's Ass

Post Post #7738 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:46 pm

Post by Inferno390 »

I whipped this together today after feeling a little pissed at all the janky crap in silver tier rn
And oh baby does this overperform

Have had a few not great games that I lost, but for the most part it just straight up wins against just about jank crap I've seen
It needs a better land count, but other than that I'm really happy with the deck.
"Do I have permission to....refute some of the bs that Inferno just spewed out?"--TywinL

“Does anyone know if Inferno is prone to going of on huge tangents of twisted logic regarding basically alignment neutral posting? Asking for a friend ...”—MagnaofIllusion

Inferno390 GTKAS

Mafiascum Moderator Society
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7739 (ISO) » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:54 am

Post by popsofctown »

I'd omit the blue mana until you have access 8 shocks and a few additional nonbasics. The blue splash is barely worth for people who own all the lands so I have trouble believing it's worth it for 7 spells. Especially if you're in the lower brackets because the 3/2 elemental who gains life (the apparent risen reef replacement) will steal you extra wins against the people who are going smaller and more aggressive than this deck.

The spells in the deck look mostly like pretty good midrangey elementals deck with Chandras to attack from that other angle pretty good stuff
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7740 (ISO) » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:52 pm

Post by popsofctown »

SDAIFJSDPOFKAJSPFDK THEY BANNED FAITHLESS LOOTING

I agree with the ban but it has a huge financial cost for me.
"Well, I..."
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7741 (ISO) » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:00 pm

Post by Micc »

yeah big shake up. Modern MCQ by me this weekend and not only do I not have a full deck to play, I also don't know which of the half decks I should be trying to borrow missing pieces for.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #7742 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:01 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

figured I'd build Temur since I had the Cavaliers and
most
of the wildcards. with this, mono Red, Grixis, and Simic Flash, I'm all geared up for rotation resistant decks now.

[edit] pulled a 4th Nissa so swapped out the Tamiyo that was there previously. current upgrade path is either -1 P-Druid/-1 Cavalier of Gales or -2 Cloudkin Seer, then +1 Omnath +1 Krasis.

Spoiler: old post
probably could stand to go -2 Cloudkin Seer and -1 Tamiyo, +1 Omnath/Nissa/Krasis then
maybe
swap a Paradise Druid for a 4th Coil depending, but Seers cycle and have a few decent synergies and Tamiyo's Regrowth minus can be useful. the Cavalier of Gales over a third Thorns because again, wildcards, but it's done okay the few times I've seen it. could also drop Gales/4th P-Druid instead of -2 Seers. either way I need a 4th Nissa on my next rare WC, and an Omnath-maybe-Krasis on my next mythic.

sideboard seems fine, I'd say the 3rd Ceratops is a flex slot
maybe
but there's nothing I can think of as a must-include to replace it. maybe something for the aggro matchups (4th Coil, Fight With Fire, 3rd Flame Sweep)? the deck already kinda dunks on control with Veils Negates and a ton of can't-be-countered spells, and Feather/Vampires gave me minor issues when I ran into them on ladder
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7743 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:17 pm

Post by popsofctown »

It doesn't seem possible for Cavalier of Gales to be correct, it's not a full tier of power beyond other cards of its cost like Niv Mizzet but constitutes the only triple blue card in your deck - the only double blue card in your deck, even! - and therefore it's either making you play more blue nonbasics than you otherwise would have to, or it's not consistently being castable, I don't know which without playing the deck.
Edit: Oh looks like you're already planning to nix it, man what a wasted mini-essay
It is indeed plausible that you need a wildcard to replace it, if you don't have the 3rd cavalier of thorns right on hand. It is obviously not so silly to be running it that you should just put Boreal Elemental in or something terrible.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7744 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:19 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I love Temur but hate tribal so this archetype is such a lovehate struggle for me
The blues and reds and greens are so pretty.

I'm trying to not buy a rotation proof deck, core sets are not my favorite and Ravnica I dislike too. I'm trying to save up money and buy a lot of whatever the new fairy tale set is about.
"Well, I..."
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #7745 (ISO) » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:12 am

Post by InflatablePie »

yeah I was gonna save up but I figured all I was crafting were some Stomping Ground/Nissa/Omnath/Hydroid Krasis and I'd say the card that'd be most likely to
not
see play of that bunch is the 3x Omnath (depends on 3c manabases*), so it was probably fine. aside from 1-2 mythic WCs, I'm also gonna be saving up; figured I have a few weeks after Eldraine release too until the meta forms/draft strategies come out, so there's that

Cavalier of Gales does okay, there've been a few games where I've been stuck on 2x blue (but also haven't drawn it) but the manabase isn't actually too rough otherwise and 3x blue is fairly common. don't feel like crunching the numbers at the moment.

(*allied fastlands pls)
Last edited by InflatablePie on Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #7746 (ISO) » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:14 am

Post by InflatablePie »

also glad that someone else recognizes Temur as the most aesthetically pleasing shard

now gimme my Jund Shards of Alara Forest on Arena, Wizards; I need to color-coordinate my basics :(

popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7747 (ISO) » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:17 am

Post by popsofctown »

So actually when I fell in love with Temur is when I played the Elder Dragon Highlander tournament we did on mafiascum, and I won first place with Intet, the Dreamer :)
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7748 (ISO) » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:20 am

Post by popsofctown »

When I bought a bunch of matching basics to go play the limited GP in Seattle a couple months ago one of the sets I picked was Shards of Alara.
Can't remember which one, I think it was the Swamps?

They were probably out of Shards forests, the site I bought the basics from was out of stock of tons of basics.
"Well, I..."
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #7749 (ISO) » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:25 am

Post by InflatablePie »

always been an Izzet mage with Golgari-splash-tendencies, but my moment was probably after jamming a ton of some MTG Online cube and usually grabbing the Maelstrom Wanderer

basically if the card says 'you may cast without paying', I'm in

[preview edit] Shards has great basics. with a few exceptions, I usually just go full-art in paper. then I think on MTGO I used various foil basics (this Kamigawa Mountain was one)

Return to “The Arcade”