Lets Talk Pen & Paper RPGs (All systems welcome!)

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
thecoldheartedking
thecoldheartedking
Townie
thecoldheartedking
Townie
Townie

Post Post #802 (isolation #0) » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:28 pm

Post by thecoldheartedking »

How successful have play by post DnD/Pathfinder games been here?
thecoldheartedking
thecoldheartedking
Townie
thecoldheartedking
Townie
Townie

Post Post #812 (isolation #1) » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:36 pm

I was running Rise of the Runelords (Paizos first Pathfinder AP, anniversary edition) and was getting a bit bored with it after the manor arc. Also also a player had a baby. Also also also I remembered a certain villain that was going to 100% for sure TPK them to hell was coming up.

So with all that in mind, I proposed and they agreed to a change of scenery. It'd been about two months since the last session (because new baby), so to start the session off I decided to introduce them to a couple deities.

One, Falayna, a party member who multi-classed had already met; the other, however, was an adaptation between classic lore Loki (not Marvel Loki) and a deity Native Americans referred to as Coyote. Basically a pure trickster deity, which tbf Pathfinder doesn't really have.

To cut to the chase, I had them go from eventually stopping a Runelord from doing THE THING (no spoilers) to a sort-of fabric of time on the line planescape-slash-multiverse kind of campaign. Only 2/3 members could make it, but from what I could tell via their reactions I pulled it off okay. There were no eyerolls or bored faces! Victory!
thecoldheartedking
thecoldheartedking
Townie
thecoldheartedking
Townie
Townie

Post Post #817 (isolation #2) » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:25 am

The only thing about Rise that I'm not a huge fan of is that nearly every story hook is a note or a letter. This wasn't my first run through and, with only three players, they were going to get absolutely obliterated at the clocktower. Without a doubt.

It's a classic in the sense that, if ran as is RAW (meaning no extra loot, towns don't have everything the players want to buy, etc) it's a very refreshing challenge (keep in mind that this is immediately after 4e had come out and the community as a whole was pretty done with the endless splatbooks that were 3.5) and the story itself isn't all that bad.
thecoldheartedking
thecoldheartedking
Townie
thecoldheartedking
Townie
Townie

Post Post #819 (isolation #3) » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:16 pm

What are the things people like about 5e?

It just seems like kid gloved D&D to me.

Not trying to start an editions war. I'm legitimately curious.
thecoldheartedking
thecoldheartedking
Townie
thecoldheartedking
Townie
Townie

Post Post #821 (isolation #4) » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:07 pm

My sincerest apologies.

Idk why but I automatically assumed 5e D&D and that this Vampire thing was like a supplement or whatever. Question still stands about D&D 5e.

Thank you for the very clear explanation though! That game sounds like loads of fun.

Return to “The Arcade”