Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #399 (isolation #0) » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:18 pm

Post by Pine »

In post 398, the worst wrote:mastina and pine were both in from the start and aren't eligible for a white knight nom.

moment of brilliance for the entire dead thread is markedly better than the individual nom imo (jjh/DEB's gambit, FL's fake guilty & agenda against you guys as town, all the townies who contributed to solving in there). there's a lot of quality material. mastina/Pine coming in with a cool calm collected correct solve at endgame was bloody awesome, but was just a part of the greater whole. :)
Agreed on all points, we are not eligible for White Knight.

Thank you for the praise, though!

(Also JJH and OSTENTATIOUS/the worst are quality WK noms. If we still had a Best Performance in a Losing Cause Scummy, JJH would be a shoo-in)
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #437 (isolation #1) » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:58 pm

Post by Pine »

In post 436, Jingle wrote:
In post 0, Scummies wrote:Community Contributor: This award is awarded to the player who did the most to contribute to the overall health of the site. Maybe this person arranged an in-person meetup to foster community, or maybe they really evolved mafia theory discussion to a new level with their MD articles. Perhaps it's a user who goes out of their way to put on fun contests or events for the site, or maybe someone worked on a cool mafia tool in their spare time. Whatever they did, if they worked to improve the site outside of the Mish Mash or Mafia forums, this is where they belong.
^ This would fit, imo.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #442 (isolation #2) » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:02 am

Post by Pine »

Ahhhh, something similar happened way back in 2011, in my first scumgame, There Will Be Blood...incidentally the game where Mastin bet her username that I was Town (this giving rise to Mastin2). Good times.

Nth nom

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #453 (isolation #3) » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:59 pm

Post by Pine »

In post 450, Flavor Leaf wrote:I’m probably going to nominate multiple rising stars.

I think a lot of those haven’t been done yet because it’s body of work for the year, and the years not done, but i generally think anyone involved heavily in the community should definitely at least nominate one person per body of work section.
Similar, but for Modfather. I also have a Rising Star I’m evaluating.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #477 (isolation #4) » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:32 am

Post by Pine »

Nom it anyway

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #503 (isolation #5) » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:40 pm

Post by Pine »

Rising Star
10/30/19
Pine
Menalque
Menalque is a splendid example of a Rising Star candidate. Although he is new to our community as of this summer, only a few months later he has already made a significant and favorable impression. I had the distinct pleasure of playing with him in two of his first games on Mafiascum - in Newbie 1934: Tundra as an opponent and in Pokemon Ruby as his mentor in scum tactics. He has the rare talent of both standing out as obvious Town when he is and blending into the background when he is scum, while still not giving ground on a meta front. On top of that, he is a pleasure to play with, both against and in concert, and has seamlessly joined our wider community. Finally, in Alisae V Pine, Menalque gamely stepped up to the plate against some of MafiaScum's most experienced players and acquitted himself adroitly and with class. Welcome, Menalque!

Ha! Beat you to it on one count.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #517 (isolation #6) » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:27 pm

Post by Pine »

No Modfather noms either, but I'm about to rectify that, and until a little while ago only one Rising Star.

Body of Work noms need time to simmer. It's almost November, time to serve them up.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #523 (isolation #7) » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:31 pm

Post by Pine »

I'm writing the BJingle one now, don't rush me.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #555 (isolation #8) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:08 pm

Post by Pine »

In post 503, Pine wrote:
Rising Star
10/30/19
Pine
Menalque
Menalque is a splendid example of a Rising Star candidate. Although he is new to our community as of this summer, only a few months later he has already made a significant and favorable impression. I had the distinct pleasure of playing with him in two of his first games on Mafiascum - in Newbie 1934: Tundra as an opponent and in Pokemon Ruby as his mentor in scum tactics. He has the rare talent of both standing out as obvious Town when he is and blending into the background when he is scum, while still not giving ground on a meta front. On top of that, he is a pleasure to play with, both against and in concert, and has seamlessly joined our wider community. Finally, in Alisae V Pine, Menalque gamely stepped up to the plate against some of MafiaScum's most experienced players and acquitted himself adroitly and with class. Welcome, Menalque!

Ha! Beat you to it on one count.
Feel free to endorse or add though

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #647 (isolation #9) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:51 pm

Post by Pine »

Screw what he wants. If you think he's the best choice, nom him. Let the judges take that into consideration.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #652 (isolation #10) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:33 pm

Post by Pine »

In post 648, popsofctown wrote:Will he be barred from judging the category if he's nominated?
I'm guessing he'd vote "no" on his own DC.
I don't know how any of this works
That's true of any Scummies judge

Personally I think he doesn't want to be nominated because he doesn't want to judge a BoW category :mrgreen:

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #654 (isolation #11) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:50 pm

Post by Pine »

Oh fine, don't nom him then.

Pops for site admin 2020

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #755 (isolation #12) » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:43 am

Post by Pine »

Shit shit only a few hours to get my modfather nomination for Jingle in

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #771 (isolation #13) » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:52 am

Post by Pine »

Modfather
12/31/2019 Pine Jingle Vengeful Ghosts
Alisae V Pine
Thirteen other games, linked herein.
Jingle is a fantastic game moderator, and a fine example of the best MafiaScum has to offer. His games are impeccably well-run and moderated with a rare combination of class and humor. If I see a Jingle game in the queue, I know that even if it turns into a hilarious nightmare of a game, the moderation will be on point.

To the best of my knowledge, Jingle has run a breathtaking
fifteen
games this year, including three Marathon games, seven games in the Micro queue, including a three game series, an Open, two Newbies, an inventive Mini Theme, and the colossal undertaking which was Alisae V Pine.

I chose two only put these last two in the nomination box because I feel they really define Jingle's character as a game designer and moderator. While the other thirteen games speak for themselves as a body of work, these two games were clearly a labor of love. Jingle is a craftsman when it comes to his passion projects, and is incredibly original and patient in their design and execution. They don't always work out as well as intended (would anyone like a fruit?) but the creativity and willingness to experiment is what makes him one of my favorite moderators to grace us with their work.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #812 (isolation #14) » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:19 pm

Post by Pine »

In post 809, Jingle wrote:She's the reason town won Perfect Masquerade.
My apathy was also a major contributor to Town’s win. I should have been your doom, but instead I gave you an easy scum to pick off.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #863 (isolation #15) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:32 pm

Post by Pine »

Menalque had echoes of Cassandra at times in Ali vs Pine. Near endgame, he was one of the only Town players with his head on straight, and he was being ignored. Nth the...wait a minute I already nommed him for RS. Mastina you spammy so-and-so!

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #867 (isolation #16) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:52 pm

Post by Pine »

What the actual hell, mastina. A dozen noms in the same category, including two people twice each? What are you smoking (and do you have more?)

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #890 (isolation #17) » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:37 am

Post by Pine »

In post 880, Menalque wrote:
Don Corleone
02-01-2020 Menalque Pine Newbie 1934: Tundra;
Pokemon Ruby Mafia;
Added to the Group Chat;
Alisae V Pine: Trees Apparently Make Good Treestumps
Honestly, I'm shocked this hasn't been done and slightly disappointed that it's necessary for me to do the write up because I doubt I'll do it justice. However, to the point:

Pine has consistently demonstrated excellent scumplay throughout the year. He's shown capability in an individual level (which we all already knew), once again displayed an excellent strategic understanding of the game and how to set up his team to win, but also has an element of daring that makes him a fun opponent and not just a solid one.

For instance, in this game he gambited, acting as if he thought he'd been hammered, and came impressively close to avoiding the D1 lynch despite his slot being in an awful position on his rep in. His play also set up his partner to make it through to 5p at which point she was caught mechanically. Pine has also demonstrated a willingness to share his knowledge without being overly domineering. I had the benefit of this first hand upon repping into Pokemon Ruby in which I was given a crash course in scum theatre, emulating townplay, and positioning, all tips which I'm convinced helped us to nearly make endgame before being mechanically caught. You may be sensing a trend here, which is that unless you get him mechanically, you're up against it when facing pine scum.

The last two games I'd like to mention are also games where I've been involved with pine!scum first hand. Firstly, Added to the Group Chat a game which should have been a town win but which was saved for scum by a last minute gamble from Pine, where he outed himself as scum but offered to concede if town was able to identify the other scum member in 5p lylo. Clearly, the correct move would be to lynch the WIFOM spewing open wolf, but Pine very nearly had me persuaded to go for it and vote who I thought his partner was, and did in fact manage to make a different towny do exactly that. The most impressive testament to Pine's scum game though, is that he was able to open wolf here and
it wouldn't even have mattered if we'd lynched him
because he'd done such a good job of setting up his partner that they were likely to win regardless.

Finally, maybe predictably, there's AvP. I haven't read the scum PT here, but I can imagine that within it there is a great deal of strategising, team support, discussion, scheming, and probably laughs. Because another point is that playing scum with Pine is, in my experience and in what I can infer from what others say, just good fun. He does what he needs to do to win, and to ensure a scum team victory, but he also does it while having a laugh. All in all, he is a thoroughly deserving candidate for DC this year.

A final point that occurred to me right before posting this is that these games also demonstrate something else: Pine is a scum player who can win and lead his team regardless of size and activity level. And lastly, none of this has come at the cost of his town game, where he's keenly analytical and able to town tell and avoid paranoia lynches despite his reputation as scum.
Uhhh, you know I
lost
half of those games, right? I had some fun moments (the Faustian deal at the end of Group Chat - where I was
also
caught scum - and the delightful disaster that was AVP) but this was
not
my year.

While I am honored by the consideration and touched by Menalque's warm words (and Turkey's nth), may I decline? I don't feel this was an exemplar year for my scumgame, and I was quite looking forward to judging this category.

The Goodfellas nomination, though, I accept graciously. If the judges would like access to our team Discord server, it still exists.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare

Return to “2019 Scummies and Mashies”