Grand Idea Mafia

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Sushi Martyr
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6578 (isolation #0) » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:19 pm

Post by Sushi Martyr »

Paranoid Cat Owner
(75% town, 25% mafia)

You are the owner of a paranoid cat who freaks out around canines (werewolves, bloodhounds, dogs, etc.) and people who smell like canines.

If you are visited at night by either (A) a player with a canine role (including werewolves, who are canines at least part of the time) or (B) a player who visited someone with a canine role last night, then your paranoid cat will scratch them, leaving visible red marks on their arms that the mod will announce publicly at the beginning of the next day ("[player name] has red scratch marks on their arms.") and causing their ability to fail that night (they will receive a message as if they were roleblocked, although tracker-type roles can still see them visiting you).

(You may choose to reroll this if there are no actual canine roles/werewolves in the game. Or if you think it's stupid.)
Sushi Martyr
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6917 (isolation #1) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:36 pm

Post by Sushi Martyr »

That One Role I've Seen In Here, Either This or the Other Idea Thread, That Lets You Break Up An Argument Between Two People and Make Them Talk About Other Stuff Instead (or at least not continue to tunnel on each other) - Town

Functionally a Named Vanilla Townie. Show this whole role card if you want.

((Note: I have the role in mind, just don't remember the post number or what it's called or what the exact wording on the card was. This text is a placeholder while I go look up the specifics. If I get tired of searching back through the thread and give up halfway through, I'm fine with this role being functionally a Vanilla Townie, but keep the name. I think it's amusing, and if you don't, I'm sorry you can't derive enjoyment from my sense of humor but I'm not changing it.

Also, if someone did get this role and it was functionally a Vanilla Townie, it's not technically wrong. Just some people can do this more easily than others.))

((Edit: Upon reflection I think it's probably better not to include roles that force people not to discuss certain things. So we'll make it a Named Vanilla Townie instead.))
my husband and true love, Tomonori Kotokura (Hiiro no Kakera 4)

How is that relevant? Uhhh, he would be great at forum mafia if he lived today and not ~1000 years ago in a fantasy setting.
Sushi Martyr
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6918 (isolation #2) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:53 pm

Post by Sushi Martyr »

That One Role I've Seen In Here, Either This or the Other Idea Thread, That Lets You Break Up An Argument Between Two People and Make Them Talk About Other Stuff Instead (or at least not continue to tunnel on each other) - Mafia

Functionally a Named Mafia Goon. Because it also works, it's just that your motives might be different.

How is that relevant? Uhhh, he would be great at forum mafia if he lived today and not ~1000 years ago in a fantasy setting.
Sushi Martyr
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6920 (isolation #3) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:10 pm

Post by Sushi Martyr »

^ You're right, thanks. :) I think I like the Arbitrator version better, though. What color is normally used for Werewolf alignment? None of the ones in the font color box look sufficiently brown.
----
Werewolf Arbitrator

Each night, you may target two players to prevent them from voting each other or targeting each other for the next Day/Night cycle.

The targets are informed that they were arbitrated and who they can't vote or target.
Last edited by Sushi Martyr on Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sushi Martyr
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6923 (isolation #4) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:44 pm

Post by Sushi Martyr »

Town Innocent Child with a Degree of Ambiguity

At any given point during the game, you may PM the mod to reveal yourself as an
Innocent Child.

No specific alignment will be given, but you will be mod-confirmed to have the role of Innocent Child.
Your alignment is Town.

Sushi Martyr
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6925 (isolation #5) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:03 pm

Post by Sushi Martyr »

Town 1-shot Moonlight Vigilante

Pretty much identical to , but you can't target anyone who has been announced by the mod to be dancing and howling in the moonlight at any time during the current phase (flavor reasoning: you can't get a good aim on them because they're dancing around).

(I know it may seem like I'm trolling, but I actually like the Moonlight Vigilante idea of having to weigh the benefits of the day kill vs. the night one when you know either way the target won't get to use their night abilities if it goes through. I just saw the word "moonlight" and my brain hitched onto the possible gimmick.)

----

@chennis: I actually got the idea from , hence the "degree of ambiguity".

Sushi Martyr
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6927 (isolation #6) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:02 pm

Post by Sushi Martyr »

Mafia 1-Shot Uncharismatic Cult Founder

Once per game at night, you may target a player and attempt to convince them to form a cult, converting their alignment to Cult with the normal Cult win condition of gaining control over 50% of the vote (or having nothing prevent their doing so). If the action succeeds, they also gain a cult PT and an ability to try recruiting one person to the cult each night. Due to your lack of charisma, however, your target immediately assumes full control of the cult and completely shuts you out, so you return to the people who have always had your back: the mafia.

You have the normal Mafia win condition of gaining control over 50% of the vote (or having nothing prevent your doing so); you do not win with the Cult. You do not have access to the cult PT or gain any information on the cult's actions at night. After you use your ability, you basically become a Mafia Goon.

----

Thoughts? There are probably loopholes and/or balance issues. For instance, I don't know if using the ability should be prevented in certain situations/with a certain number of players left alive. I'm also not entirely sure how this role would interact with any Cult roles rolled in the setup. Also don't know if it should be a thing where the target has to accept to join the cult, or if they should be auto-recruited in this case since the role is Mafia and 1-shot (I made it 1-shot because it seems too powerful to be a once-every-night recruitment action coming from mafia). There might be an obvious optimal strategy when getting a role like this that I'm just not seeing for some reason, and if so I have no problem changing it to a Normal role or something.

Also not sure whether it should be Unblockable or if that would give the role too much power.

Sushi Martyr
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6954 (isolation #7) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:53 pm

Post by Sushi Martyr »

(Okay. I'll try to relax. No promises though.

@ Ircher: Really? It's definitely a risky gamble for mafia, since they run the risk of getting overrun if they do it at the wrong time/pick the wrong person, but I was thinking the role might not be entirely negative-utility for a scumteam alignment. Sure, they can't win with the cult, but it creates another threat/possible source of chaos if nothing else and redirects a player's agenda slightly, which is bad for town and might make it worth the risk if you know the first member of the cult. Maybe.)

----

Town Hated Miller Pirate Ninja 3-Shot Bladed Vigilante

Both the Pirate and the Ninja modifiers apply to you; investigative roles won't see you performing kills, and should you happen to obtain any investigative abilities such as Tracker, etc., you will be able to see someone performing a kill even if they have the Ninja modifier.

Unfortunately, both the pirates and the ninjas view you with suspicion since you refuse to choose between them, so it takes 1 less vote to lynch you than it normally would. The rumors they've started about you are getting out of control; now they're accusing you of being affiliated with the mafia, of all things. And, well, you've definitely got a chip on your shoulder or two, so you can't really blame any investigatives too much if they buy into the rumors.

You don't mind using your swordsmanship for good, though. Or trying to at any rate. Your kills are performed with a katana, not a gun, so you result in a "yes" for bladesmiths and a "no" for gunsmiths. However, your blade's definitely seen better days, so you can only try to perform a kill with it three times before it becomes too dull to be of use.

You win with the Town.

Sushi Martyr
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6955 (isolation #8) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:22 pm

Post by Sushi Martyr »

Town Even-Day-Reflexively(?)-Randomly-Modifier-and-Shot-Shedding Hated Miller Pirate Ninja 3-Shot Bladed Vigilante

Like the above role in , but at the end of each day ending in an even number, you will randomly lose one of your blade shots or modifiers from among {Hated, Miller, Pirate, Ninja, Even-Day, Randomly, Reflexively, 1 use of Bladed Vigilante ability}. You will be informed of which one you have lost when night falls.

If you lose the Even-Day modifier in this way, this triggers on odd days as well. If you lose Randomly, you get to pick which modifier to lose. If you lose Reflexively, this shedding of modifiers/ability uses becomes optional (i.e., you can choose whether or not to randomly lose a modifier or bladed vig shot during each even-numbered day if you lose just Reflexively but not the others).

Flavor: you've spent too long living the cushy life up in town, and your sneaking skills, eyesight, and blade aren't as sharp as they used to be. Fortunately, the whole drama with the ninjas and pirates seems to be dying down a little, maybe. You've been trying to retain and control the rate at which you lose these skills and get back into everyone's good graces... Hopefully it pays off.

You win with the Town.

((Is it Reflexive or Compulsive by the way?))
Last edited by Sushi Martyr on Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sushi Martyr
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6956 (isolation #9) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:09 pm

Post by Sushi Martyr »

Town Multitasking Super-Atheist Macho Gun-Carrying Pirate Random-Modifier-Shedding Tracker

Each night, you may choose to lose a modifier at random among {Multitasking, Super-Atheist, Macho, Gun-Carrying, Pirate, Random [as applied to the shedding of modifiers]}; you'll be informed of which one you lost at the start of the next day. You may also choose to track someone to see where they go each night.

Multitasking lets you use both of your abilities (the modifier loss and the Tracker ability) in the same night.

Super-Atheist: You are
really
adamant about not being in a Cult. So much so that even investigative roles which normally do not receive information in the form of "Cult/not Cult" will be informed that you are not a member of the Cult when they attempt to investigate you, and no other information.

Macho: You can't be protected from kills.

Gun-Carrying: You return a "yes" result to Gunsmiths.

Pirate: Your tracking abilities, and any other investigative abilities you may acquire, work on ninjas.

Random: If you lose this, you get to choose the modifier you lose whenever you use your modifier loss ability.

Flavor:
You're an ex-pirate, putting your scouting abilities to good use helping this town. Admittedly your social skills might have suffered a little during your time at sea. But seriously, what do people take you for, a cultist? You are NOT a cultist.
Last edited by Sushi Martyr on Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sushi Martyr
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6957 (isolation #10) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:47 pm

Post by Sushi Martyr »

Mafia Modifier Cop

Each night, you may choose a player to learn all modifiers that currently apply to them.

Sushi Martyr
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6958 (isolation #11) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:49 pm

Post by Sushi Martyr »

Town Modifier Cop

Each night, you may choose a player to see all modifiers that currently apply to them.

----

Not sure if they should see Miller or not. I'm leaning towards "yes" for normal Miller (kind that only shows as mafia to cops) but for the version where they get the worst possible result in every situation, like Trackers see them visiting the killed person and the like in addition to the Cop red check, that should probably be undetectable by this role too. Eh, mod discretion, I guess.

Sushi Martyr
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6959 (isolation #12) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:33 pm

Post by Sushi Martyr »

Werewolf Modifier Cop/Modifier Thief

Each night, you may choose to visit a target and either use your modifier cop action, to see what modifiers currently apply to them, or your modifier thief action, to steal all modifiers that currently apply to them (i.e., your target loses all of those modifiers and you gain all of them).

Sushi Martyr
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6961 (isolation #13) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:52 pm

Post by Sushi Martyr »

Town Modifier-Dependent Doctor/Vigilante

Each night, you may target someone. If this person has fewer than 3 role modifiers, you will attempt to heal them from one attack. If this person has 3 or more role modifiers, you attempt to kill them instead.

Flavor:
When your little town came under threat by various sinister organizations, you decided the people could use a good doctor. You know the basics of medicine and have no problem treating people who are pretty close to normal. However, when things end up being more complex than they were at first, you have a tendency to panic and, uh, end up making lethal mistakes sometimes.

Sushi Martyr
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Sushi Martyr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6964 (isolation #14) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:12 pm

Post by Sushi Martyr »

Town Cop

Each night, you may investigate a player to see if they're a member of the mafia.

((
Mod Notes:
Starts Sane. The first time this player investigates a role that is not Town or Mafia, their sanity flips and they become Insane; this applies the night after their check on the player with non-town/non-mafia alignment.))

Return to “Mafia Discussion”