[CHALLENGE] September Challenge

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

[CHALLENGE] September Challenge

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:30 am

Post by callforjudgement »

For last month's challenge, see the August Challenge thread.

We've had a lot of rules to encourage complexity and weird ways to think about Mafia in the past challenges. This month's challenge takes things in the opposite direction, though: how simple can a setup be whilst still being playable?

September ChallengeCreate a new
open
or
semi-open
setup. (A semi-open setup is a random choice between a fixed number of open setups, with the players not knowing which was chosen.)

Requirements:
  • The setup (or each subsetup individually in the case of a semi-open) must meet the Normal Game guidelines. This means Normal roles
    and Normal mechanics
    only.
  • At least 7 and at most 13 players. (As the game is also Normal, this means it's Town vs. Mafia or Town vs. Werewolves, no third parties.)
Must have:
  • The possibility of daytalk for the anti-town faction (either as part of the game rules or via an Encryptor).
  • At least as many Vanilla Townies as non-vanilla players. (In a semi-open, each subsetup must individually comply with this restriction.)
Must not have:
  • Roles which have a choice of which personal night action to use (e.g. Town Jack of All Trades and Town Cop Doctor are disallowed), or that can use multiple personal actions on the same night (e.g. Town Combined Doctor Roleblocker is disallowed).
  • Modifiers applied to non-vanilla roles (e.g. Town Neighbour is allowed, as is Bulletproof Mafioso; 1-shot Town Cop and Town Weak Doctor are disallowed). Exception: Multitasking is allowed for anti-town players.

Feel free to submit your setups in this thread all through September (and to use it to discuss other people's submissions); when October comes, this thread will then be used to vote on which of the proposed setups is the best. If there's a clear winner, they'll be in charge of the requirements for October (unless they choose to delegate to someone else). Good luck, and have fun designing setups!
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #3 (isolation #1) » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:46 am

I'd been meaning to change the format as soon as I got a chance, but BNL did so first. It's more consistent to have all the challenges tagged the same way.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #7 (isolation #2) » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:47 pm

6:3? I'd expect that to be very scumsided. (Add four VTs and it's possibly balanced, but might even then be scumsided.)

NK15, how do I read your table?
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #9 (isolation #3) » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:52 pm

It's strong, but I don't think it's
that
strong. (Admittedly, last time I ran a Micro vig setup the vig was northsidegal, so town wrapped it up pretty quickly, but you can't rely on that happening every time.)
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #13 (isolation #4) » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:23 pm

In post 10, OkaPoka wrote:uh # of vts >= non vanilla including or excluding non town aligned players?
Including non-town-aligned power roles. (Excluding Mafia/Werewolf Goons, who are vanilla.)
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #28 (isolation #5) » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:03 am

A role has to be explicitly listed as Normal to be Normal, under the current rules. If it isn't mentioned on the page it isn't allowed.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #31 (isolation #6) » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:05 am

There are three scum total, so if the Enabler dies first, it makes a difference.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #43 (isolation #7) » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:04 pm

I consider "X Enabler" to be a role, not a modifier. The role isn't actually and cannot be an X, after all (and trying to write a role worded as though it's an X just doesn't work). So the Universal Backup version is legal.

I consider "Backup" to be a modifiier "you can't use your ability until an X has died", so that version isn't legal.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #65 (isolation #8) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:34 am

I think Miller Neighbourizer is a combination role. I'd meant to ban that but looking at my wording, it seems like I didn't, so it's fair game.
Jingle wrote:Setup 4 is new. Vig/JK is a lot of power but slightly negative interactions. My guess is that it'd be fairly balanced.
I suspect it's very townsided. Vig is a confirmable role, after all (and it doesn't really help with symmetry because scum can't plausibly fakeclaim it). Even though the town roles can interfere with each other, they probably won't.
scum
town

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”