Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3425 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:00 am

Post by shaft.ed »

welp I got Paperback and Show & Tile

Paperback was deemed to have too many rules to be fun

Show & Tile (which is basically just Pictionary with a limited set of shapes) was deemed not enough like Pictionary

so I guess I'll go back to giving up
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3426 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:33 am

Post by Chickadee »

Oh nooo. Who is judging these games, is it your wife? Maybe we can help you find something better. Tell us what elements are desired.

Some easy games off the top of my head:
Catch The Moon
The game has tons of tiny ladders and you're stacking them in creative ways based on what a die tells you.
Dixit
(more fun with expansion sets, of which there are many)It's like Balderdash but with weird pictures.
Ice Cool
Dexterity game where you're flicking pieces. The theme is penguins in high school and one penguin is trying to catch the others, while the others try to go get fish to eat.
Machi Koro
Engine builder, on your turn roll a die and activate anything of that number (just do what the card says). Pretty simple mechanics, the fun comes in when you start building up a bigger city and lots of things can activate.
Instagram: BoneSpellArts

"Yo I'm so good at anime girls" - pj
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3427 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:53 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 3426, Chickadee wrote:Tell us what elements are desired.
basically a two player game with guessing involved and no point systems or rules beyond "do this thing". Core game shouldn't last more than 10-15 minutes, and open to replays

She likes:
Code Names
Scrabble (without points, note I basically refuse to do this anymore)
Pictionary (with just the drawing)

Catch the Moon might work, we've never tried dexterity games
Don't think we can do two player Dixit, although we could probably formulate something with AI?
Hadn't thought of Ice Cool, but I'm not sure if she'd like a flicking game
Machi Koro, although simple, is def still more complicated that she'd want

I was thinking maybe Pantone, but after her not like Show and Tile, I think theyre relatively similar

should probably just give up and try to start a board game group
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3428 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:34 am

Post by Chickadee »

There actually are rules for two player Dixit, but I wouldn't recommend it. Basically there are a number of randomly drawn cards from the deck included. With these parameters, I would check out:

Second Chance
- super chill doodle game, takes about 10 minutes and is literally the most easy and relaxed thing ever.
Catch the moon
- recommending again because I do think it fits the criteria. The whole rule book is one page and it's mostly pictures. And at the end you get a cool looking stack of ladders.
Welcome To...
- It's more like solving your own personal puzzle. It might have too many rules, because you do need to know what each kind of card does (there are maybe 5 or 6 kinds of cards), and it's technically competitive but it feels like solving your own little puzzle kind of like sudoku. No point system, just trying to fill the most of your town that you can.
Tsuro
- very zen like, you're just laying tiles and moving pieces on a board. No point system at all.

I'm not that familiar with simpler word games that would fit these boundaries, but I'm sure something exists.

I definitely think you should look into board game groups. There are a few on Meetup in your area. You might also check with local comic/game shops like Miniature Market, and the one in the loop if it's still there (it's been a few years for me haha). Many game stores have a game night nowadays. And I believe there's even a board game cafe somewhere downtown if i remember right.
Instagram: BoneSpellArts

"Yo I'm so good at anime girls" - pj
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3429 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:23 am

Post by PJ. »

You should like...materialize 6 more people and play telestrations
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3430 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:29 am

Post by PJ. »

Maybe Avenue might work.

But for real, I think the simplest games are party games, but like..that means you need a party. I could see her liking telestrations (literally telephone pictionary that ether runs on this site), fake artist in new york (spy fall with bad drawing), or even something like sheriff of Nottingham.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #3431 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:53 am

Post by GreyICE »

In post 3427, shaft.ed wrote:should probably just give up and try to start a board game group
This is probably the best option. If someone is dead set on not liking something, and Paperback is "too complicated" you might just want to find a group of friends who enjoy it.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3432 (ISO) » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:05 am

Post by shaft.ed »

yeah, my plan was always to draft gamers into my lab and have a board game night once a month or two. But I've only managed to draft one thus far.
just need to be more patient I spose

@chick, Thanks for the recs. I'll look into Second Chance and Catch the Moon. I bought Tsuro for my niece and we've played it, she didn't like it too much (wife not niece, niece loved it). I've seen playthroughs of Welcome To... and I don't think it'll work.

On the other hand, I've been playing paperback by myself while I'm brushing my teeth in the morning and the game is pretty cool. I think it would be fun to actually play.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #3433 (ISO) » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:09 pm

Post by Vi »

Spicy rice and board game cafe day.
*Argent: The Consortium - 6 (Exhufern, me) - 3 (Burman) - 3 (Monad)
There was so much frigging salt coming out of this game... and y'know what? Get frigging outplayed. You're welcome to hate the game, not the playa, but don't lose sight of how the playa in question didn't just accidentally land into a victory.

...not that I told them that or anything.

At some point I really need to compile and print off a list of frequently-occurring corner cases so we can FINALLY frigging feel like we're parsing them consistently and not however I hazily remember someone somewhere adjudicating them. I'm okay with rules-lawyering, but the rulebook for this game is quite bad (and the designer, who has a technical-writing background, has been savaged mercilessly for it) and doesn't cover a lot of the odd interactions that come up like five times every game.

*Terror in Meeple City - 41 (me) - 30 - like 6 lol
None of us had played a dexterity game before, and the only thing I knew about them was that I should never play them. I think what saved me was having a terrible second turn that put me behind long enough to realize that you're NOT supposed to act in such a way that the pieces fly to the next table over. It's kind of a miracle that we (think we) found all the pieces afterward.

The game's okay? It has a cool theme but it's a lot more difficult than it initially lets on (e.g. the penalties for launching pieces off the board add up pretty darn quickly). I don't really have a baseline to judge this against.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Tatsuya Kaname
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3434 (ISO) » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:49 am

Post by Tatsuya Kaname »

Just bought Scythe: The Rise of Fenris, an 8-game campaign expansion. Already played through episode 1 and it's a great start so far.

Also, anyone using Tabletopia?
Embark the journey to life-changing fortune in Para{dice} Trinity: The Quest for Spirits' Fortune, a luck-based casual arcade Mish Mash game by Tatsuya Kaname!

Yes. Making too many hoods is moderator suicide. -Enter
I want to shoot this post in the face with a flamethrower. - zakk
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3435 (ISO) » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:16 am

Post by Plum »

I lost handily at both Terraforming Mars and Tokaido on Saturday (an uncharacteristically poor showing for me for those games in my regular group) but in each game I scored exactly 69 points, so who's the real winner?
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #3436 (ISO) » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:04 pm

Post by Vi »

you're saying it's a poor showing when it's actually a
nice
showing
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Spangled
Spangled
Mafia Scum
Spangled
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3437 (ISO) » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:33 pm

Post by Spangled »

Saw a game called Root; I’ve heard good things but I’m kind of sceptical.
Anyone played it before?
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3438 (ISO) » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:02 am

Post by Plum »

Can be a fun game, but so far sometimes we've had a player who gets stuck unable to do anything meaningful on their turn, which is very frustrating. Might just be an issue with those 1-2 factions in particular. The aesthetic is a big part of the draw if you like that aesthetic.
Suspicious
Suspicious
Goon
Suspicious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3439 (ISO) » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:48 pm

Post by Suspicious »

I've heard great things about Scythe. Always wanted to try one of those big-box kind of games, but the investment tends to be rather high, so I want to make sure I get something I wouldn't regret. Worth a shot?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3440 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:30 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I've never played it but it seems like one of those games you own exactly one in that genre/scale and that's it
green shirt thursdays
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3441 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:05 am

Post by chamber »

I'm not a huge fan of Scythe, despite liking most of Jamie's designs. Admittedly not my favourite genre either, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Taking a break from the site.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #3442 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:11 am

Post by GreyICE »

I really dislike Scythe.

If you want a big box game it's really hard to beat Twilight Imperium 4E. If you want something lighter, Inis is a fantastic game that is way better than Scythe.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Suspicious
Suspicious
Goon
Suspicious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3443 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:27 am

Post by Suspicious »

Whether it's heavily involved or not doesn't natter too much; I can dedicate time to an easy or hard-to-learn game. Just seeking quality first and foremost, since these games generally cost a fair bit.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #3444 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:00 am

Post by GreyICE »

TI4 is really about time. Do you have 6 hours to devote to a game? TI4 is worth it. Do you want something that's over in 1-2? Inis is a great game that rewards good play, and is constantly interesting. They're both wargames, while Scythe is a Eurogame, but since most people I find think that Scythe is going to be a wargame thanks to the mechs, it's worth it. And for my money, Terra Mystica is a better "euro with area control aspects" even if it's not my favorite game overall.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3445 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:27 pm

Post by PJ. »

Inis is really damn good.

I haven't played scythe though.

I have weird taste in games I think (or I might be basic, I actually don't know)
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3446 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:29 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 3440, xRECKONERx wrote:I've never played it but it seems like one of those games you own exactly one in that genre/scale and that's it
Again, haven't played Scythe but I feel generally the opposite. The dudes at my shop that play big euros like that generally seem to be like "I only play big euros" and the people that don't, just play other shit. Like they feel like "train game guy" or "war game guy" where it's like, I like this niche thing and that's it and everything else sucks.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #3447 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:30 pm

Post by vonflare »

Clank is a pretty good board game. Like dominion but dungeon-delving-themed
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3448 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:38 pm

Post by PJ. »

I heard bad things about clank but I heard clank in space fixed it.
Suspicious
Suspicious
Goon
Suspicious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3449 (ISO) » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:06 am

Post by Suspicious »

In post 3444, GreyICE wrote:TI4 is really about time. Do you have 6 hours to devote to a game? TI4 is worth it. Do you want something that's over in 1-2? Inis is a great game that rewards good play, and is constantly interesting. They're both wargames, while Scythe is a Eurogame, but since most people I find think that Scythe is going to be a wargame thanks to the mechs, it's worth it. And for my money, Terra Mystica is a better "euro with area control aspects" even if it's not my favorite game overall.
Thanks for the suggestions! And yeah, the mech theme had me intrigued; guess it's not as battle-heavy as I might have hoped?

Resource management is enjoyable, but I do like getting my hands dirty with some conflict.

Return to “The Arcade”