Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #455 (isolation #0) » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:02 pm

Post by popsofctown »

In post 452, Almost50 wrote:Can I nominate someone to be my representative so they can nominate people on my behalf for different categories?
QFT

I don't feel like I have a good sense of who should get nommed for what things.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #476 (isolation #1) » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:22 am

Post by popsofctown »

It seems odd that best mechanical play is only allowed for town, since scum can have PRs too. So can third party. Was coming here to do a mech play nom but I guess not.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #479 (isolation #2) » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:03 am

Post by popsofctown »

My inherent shyness is doubled when such lawlessness is involved
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #481 (isolation #3) » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:56 am

Post by popsofctown »

Master Strategist
October 17,2019 popsofctown Lady Lambdadelta Anime uPick Heart of Shadow Lady Lambdadelta rolled "Role-janitor", a very weak night action for a stacked role madness large theme. But she identified it to be at its strongest if a player were to soft or hard claim a role planning to rescind later, and went to use "every part of the buffalo", engaging in a gambit that would be riskier if she didn't also note her role had resilience to roleblocks.
She fakeclaimed masons with another player, identifying a townie that would be interested in a temporary relief from pressure, and the townie corroborated. Then she killed the corroborater (which did not in and of itself imply a desire to hide a lack of mason ability, since all players had multiple abilities) using the role-janitor. She was then "confirmed" town, which won her faction the game.
Last edited by popsofctown on Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #482 (isolation #4) » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:57 am

Post by popsofctown »

I Am Insurrection
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #487 (isolation #5) » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:44 am

Post by popsofctown »

I changed "role" to "night action" to clarify that her role PM was powerful when passives are taken into account.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #542 (isolation #6) » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:08 am

Post by popsofctown »

Nth lld dc
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #556 (isolation #7) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:20 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I played with him in newbie 1951, where there was an argument to be made that town won the game in spite of him rather than because of him. But the features of his towngame that may have been a problem in 1951 seemed to drop off like vestigial appendages in Alisae V Pine (where he similarly didn't dominate control of the popular wagons, but became less frustrated and continued to clear his own slot and generate readable interactions), and improvement and positive y axis trajectory is what the category is about, as I understand it. Nth.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #584 (isolation #8) » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:04 am

Post by popsofctown »

I feel like you should have to start in the bottom 50% of players to qualify for Rising Star so skitter doesn't qualify
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #597 (isolation #9) » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:09 pm

Post by popsofctown »

No one or virtually no one gets statistically relevant sample sizes in a year. Subjective assessments like the one RC is making seem worthwhile over straight W/L.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #618 (isolation #10) » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:48 pm

Post by popsofctown »

In post 614, RadiantCowbells wrote:Creature getting a scum play nom

tempi cambi
Bold your nths
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #621 (isolation #11) » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:08 pm

Post by popsofctown »

LLD for DC, I'm just not smart enough to write it up.

RC promised us a spicy DC nom
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #629 (isolation #12) » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:10 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I was thinking the other day that the problem with trying to come up with modfather nom is the modding experiences I've liked haven't come from prolific mods and the prolific mods have let me down some.

Oversoul just nommed someone even though they're not prolific and that kinda makes sense
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #634 (isolation #13) » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:23 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I don't know how many games nsg modded this year, Oversoul mentioned she had fewer than the other nom so I assumed it was low.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #644 (isolation #14) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:21 am

Post by popsofctown »

Mad Scientist
December 16, 2019 popsofctown Something_Smart Undertale Semi-Open, Undertale Semi-Open 1.1 The May Open Setup Design Contest was stacked with strong entries. Yet Something_Smart won the contest and it wasn't even close. The reason was because his setup was a truly innovative concept that added new angles to mafia without subverting the informed minority dynamic.
Undertale Semi-Open is both "vote for town" and "vote for scum", allowing players to dynamically swap between those choices, unlike other setups that have presented "vote for town" before. It also features a kill-immune neighborhood for "vote for town" nominees, which can have social deduction implications. The features of the game's endgame change based on how much "vote for town" and "vote for scum" was used. Undertale Semi-Open was put into practice twice, and the paradigm shifts and endless possibilities suggested by the concept were by and large realized.
The endgames are balanced enough that players frequently disagree which one is best. This can shift further when the gamestate favors a certain route due to the dayplay, or when the randomized PR incentivizes one of the routes. The first run featured scum!volxen making the case for pacifist being the best route for town while privately admitting otherwise, before going on to win the pacifist route. The second game featured PR!mastina making a post that seems intended to manipulate town into her PR's favored route
The spared neighborhood is a sort of build-your-own masonry, and it can hide information from scum and be powerful. In the first run of the setup Elements conjectured chennisden might be a viable mislynch, but found out later chennisden had pretty effectively cleared his own slot in the privacy of the spared PT. Again, this "masonry" has NK immunity, but town has to pick out actual townies to put in it themselves. The amount of town agency involved in building the spared PT is another fascinating feature, sparing chennisden is considered a reason town almost won the first run of the setup, and failing to spare him for similar play in the second run of the setup was believed by some to be a reason the game was almost lost.
Last, but definitely not least, presenting the opportunities to reach innocent verdicts or guilty verdicts side by side creates gameplay scenarios that I can't imagine paralleled in traditional mafia. The second run featured a death-lynch being lolhammered by a player who was very concerned about the accuracy of the heal-lynch and wanted to "counterwagon" it. Here are the pertinent posts: post 790 post 791 post 797
I became a first time mod after eleven years of staying away from it just because the concept behind this setup was so innovative and impressive. While I did some design work with regards to balance and did the modding here, I had absolutely no hand in the core innovation of sparing and endgame routes and there is no self-nom to this (note this is Mad Scientist, not Rube Goldberg).
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #646 (isolation #15) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:32 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 645, mastina wrote:
In post 629, popsofctown wrote:I was thinking the other day that the problem with trying to come up with modfather nom is the modding experiences I've liked haven't come from prolific mods and the prolific mods have let me down some.
Is this the problem behind the scummies lacking nominations where people think someone must be prolific in order to nominate them?

Because uhhh...nowhere in the scummies does it say a user must be prolific to receive a nom?

If you see something nomworthy, regardless of the user, then nom it. Doesn't matter if someone won Paragon last year, you can nom them again this year. Ditto don corelone. Similarly, you can nom someone as a rising star even if they've won one, or both, of paragon/don corelone at some point. And the vice-versa is true as well. Doesn't matter if they're a total unknown--if they do something which you think is award-worthy, then nominate it!
1. Yeah I was kind of thinking aloud "oh yeah maybe I should stop caring about prolific".
2. I feel positive RC is the Don Corleone of 2019 but he said he doesn't want to be in the pool of nomination because he's already won the award :shifty: .
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #648 (isolation #16) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:57 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Will he be barred from judging the category if he's nominated?
I'm guessing he'd vote "no" on his own DC.
I don't know how any of this works
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #650 (isolation #17) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:09 pm

Post by popsofctown »

But then RC will be mad @ me and I like RC :/
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #653 (isolation #18) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:35 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Should I decline the paperback nom and run for office of flavor judge so I have an excuse to read a bunch of flavor posts

DC is a body of work category RC is actively seeking to judge btw
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #656 (isolation #19) » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:39 am

Post by popsofctown »

Do siteflaked users stay in consideration for things they got nommed for?

Instinctively I feel like they should.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #660 (isolation #20) » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:18 am

Post by popsofctown »

im sry o.k.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #685 (isolation #21) » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:35 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I noticed a lot of people referring to Starry Night over and over again later in the year like it had become prominent in consciousness or something
I wasn't in gay dance or masquerade to know if they became even bigger
I can't really be the person to nom that game though I am maximum salt wounded
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #689 (isolation #22) » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:00 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Yes
RC gets Don Corleone every year
that's the universe I want to live in
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #690 (isolation #23) » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:00 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Don't ask how many paragons you don't wanna know
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #698 (isolation #24) » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:55 am

Post by popsofctown »

You should link the third game.

RC's start in Magical Girls UPick was mislynch town, vig agreed with one of his reads and vigged scum, put town at L-1 day 2 but clear it because of the claim. I don't know how that is "RC had scum correctly pegged on day 1".

Oh maybe you flip flopped magia record and magical girls?
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #700 (isolation #25) » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:17 am

Post by popsofctown »

It should say that instead, then, that's not an equivalent statement. They're both very positive statements. It's not necessary to exaggerate the truth to demonstrate you play well as town.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #705 (isolation #26) » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:15 am

Post by popsofctown »

How many nths does it take for a nomination to be in consideration?

Asking for a friend who wants to keep her support for RC paragon informal to better stay butthurt about losing a game.

But really I am kind of confused about the nthing dynamic since some categories like White Knight seem like they might not have enough people familiar with the performance to nth it even if it deserves to win, so I would hope they're not required, but Ali posted "bold your nths" a bunch of times so it must be important.

Are they used when a category gets crowded enough it'd be too much work to judge them all?
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #707 (isolation #27) » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:33 am

Post by popsofctown »

Who are the judges?
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #744 (isolation #28) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:10 am

Post by popsofctown »

"Whatever they did, if they worked to improve the site
outside of the Mish Mash or Mafia forums
, this is where they belong."
Assuming "Mafia forums" means Road to Rome+Coney Island etc, Plotinus can only be judged for "how to setup and mod a game" thread for Community Contributor, not the act of modding a jillion newbies himself.

I would kind of rate all that modding as a community contribution, though, when good mods jam up the newbie queue it keeps, uh, less good mods out, probably the site retained 1-2 long term users from Plot modding instead of the generic replacement though you'd never be able to say which one. New users can be the most important. I think if my first game was modded as poorly as
Death List
I likely wouldn't be here, but since it was my 34th game it's not going to shake me away.

It is kind of a poor fit to modfather in the sense that there were no special considerations like heavy neighborhood management or setup design.

Can we make up an award called the Plotinus award and give it to Plotinus? Because I don't like either category >_<
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #799 (isolation #29) » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:21 pm

Post by popsofctown »

In post 775, Alisae wrote:The OP should be updated with the new banners, Datisi did a really good job with them!
Ank won Starry Night and Guns and Roses one but I think there's too much focus on whether games were won or lost overall vs. playing well. I think playing well and losing should matter more than coasting to a win with weak play.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #807 (isolation #30) » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:35 pm

Post by popsofctown »

In post 800, Alisae wrote:ok pops
please give me games
ty
:]
Do you mean games she played well even though she lost?
I don't really understand Ank's towngame and am not at the front of the line to nth it but I felt like I liked her play more in AvP than Starry Night.
"Well, I..."

Return to “2019 Scummies and Mashies”