xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

mini 620 - pxm - GAME OVER

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:55 am

Post by xyzzy »

It began to rain over Springfield, Missouri. This was, of course, a very common occurrence – it had rained many times over the past several months, and this really surprised no one at all. But it was extremely bothersome for MeMe, who was still walking along in the rain, in Cooper Park, across from the cemetery and only a very short distance from her house. She had no umbrella, you see, and it was very rainy, very suddenly. She began to run in the direction of her house, hoping that she did not get to wet, and hoping even more that she did not fall.

She continued to run until finally she was running through the cemetery. Of course, she was careful to take a path that avoided any of the numerous tombstones, but it was difficult to concentrate on getting out of the rain and getting through the cemetery at the same time. Perhaps, she thought, I should've merely taken a slightly longer route that completely avoided the cemetery, as she continued to run. She came to a very small tombstone, almost too small to see – and tripped on it. Landing in the wet grass, her body ached, and she began to get back up.

As she got back up, she noticed a dark vehicle slowly driving toward the cemetery. It was a hearse. Was someone being buried here today? Best to get out quietly, she thought. She scrooched down and began to slowly slide away on her now-soaked knees. Someone exited the hearse – a young woman she didn't recognize. The woman began to walk toward her, her black trench coat blowing in the wind. “MeMe,” the woman shouted, “It's over!”

“Who are you?” called out MeMe, a feeling of confusion and fear rising up within her. She got up, still clutching a bit of grass.

“MeMe,” the woman began, “I'm Ether. I'm ending this right now.”

“Ending what?” asked MeMe, feeling extremely scared.

“That game, the one Xyzzy is running. You know what I'm talking about. That game is a travesty to all that is good about Mafia – the rules are absurd, constricting, and not Mafia. Plus, he's banned rantbuddies! What's up with that? I want you to end that game now, MeMe. So go home, get on your computer, and tell him he's not running it. Alright?”

“No,” replied MeMe, slowly walking toward Ether. “I don't feel that's at all necessary.”

“Fine, then, MeMe,” cackled Ether, pulling out a gun. “Are you ready to die for that?”

“Don't shoot! I'm not shutting it down, what's wrong with you?!?”

A red stain slowly began to cover the tombstone that MeMe had earlier tripped on.

MeMe's TombstoneYou are MeMe, the list mod for Coney Island and Little Italy. Apparently some people didn't want you to let Xyzzy mod this game, and you left your house one day to calm your thoughts about the matter in the park...

You win when all threats are eliminated.

March 13 [year of birth obscured by body] – June 23, 2008

“Operative number one, do you copy?” said Ether into a walkie talkie. “She refused to comply. We're going to have to take a more direct route.” As she pushed a small blue button on the walkie talkie, the hearse was destroyed in a small explosion, and after several minutes a limo drove up to the edge of the cemetery. She stepped into the vehicle, and without speaking a word, was driven to Xyzzy's house.

He wasn't home.

~~~

Several dozen vehicles arrived at several dozen houses the next morning. In those houses were several dozen people who in turn got in the several dozen cars, not quite sure why the angry-looking people were forcing them to get in. They were summarily driven to Xyzzy's house, and were read the following message:

Note appearing in all protown role PMsHello! I am Xyzzy, and you are a
townie
. It turns out some jerks want to kill me, and your life is of on importance to me, so I've decided to have you represent me – probably to the death. Please be smart and live – with you out of the way it won't be too hard for Ether's bad people to find and kill me. Please make sure you comply to the following rules that me and Ether agreed on over phone:

Rule One: Lynching.
All voting and unvoting must be in bold type, in the format “vote: Ether” or “unvote”. At the end of each day, whoever has had the most votes on them for the longest time will be lynched
even if that person already has a majority of votes on them before deadline.
You must unvote before voting. Failure to do so will result in your new vote not being counted.
Rule Two: Player Privileges.
Some players in this game are hydras – accounts held by two or more people who may discuss the game together. These people may talk to each other at any time. Members of the Mafia may talk to each other at night, and if a mafia member is a hydra, their members may individually talk other mafia members. All discussion must occur over a private medium that no one not playing can access. No one else may talk to anyone else.
Rule Three: Special Game Rules.
If you go 72 hours without posting, or if you make 100 in-game posts, you will die. Every 250 non-moderator posts, the mafia will be allowed to kill someone.
Rule Four: Don't Be a Dick.
Play to the spirit of the game: don't quote your role PM, don't try to use role PM wording to determine alignment, and don't use cryptography or other such things to keep statements hidden. Have fun, don't be mean, leave personal baggage out of the game, don't be disparaging, and don't flame others. If for some reason you can edit posts, don't. Don't post invisible text in any form, or try to conceal anything you write. Don't quote PMs from me or (if you're scum) your scum partner. Don't post when dead; don't try to pick fights with the moderator; don't hold grudges after the game. Have fun, and good luck.

These were those assembled:

Player List, stolen from MeMe and slightly altered
  1. ShadowGirl - MODKILLED DAY TWO FOR NOT ENOUGH ACTIVITY
  2. Icemuffin (icemanE & muffinhead)
  3. kabenon007 - MODKILLED DAY TWO FOR NOT ENOUGH ACTIVITY
  4. strife220
  5. Now a JDodge (Armlx, ShadowLurker, Pie_is_good, IH, Brutal Assassin, dahill1, klebian, Trojan Horse, & Xdaamno) (Eteocles read the PM but failed for several days to reply - I've taken the liberty of assuming he's out, since we've had enough delays already >: /)
  6. killa seven - LYNCHED DAY ONE
  7. Green Cow (aka Gorrad & hasdgfas) - LYNCHED DAY THREE
  8. maxwellhouse
  9. StrangerCoug - LYNCHED DAY TWO
  10. Tarmogoyf (SensFan & Natirasha) - MODKILLED DAY TWO FOR NOT ENOUGH ACTIVITY
  11. Lawrencelot & Muerrto (no separate account)
  12. ting =)

Roles will be randomized and sent out in a moment.

zu_faul will replace me should I disappear.
Last edited by xyzzy on Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:29 am, edited 7 times in total.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:28 pm

Post by xyzzy »

ALL ROLES ARE OUT.

DAY ONE IS GO.

IMPORTANT THINGS I FORGOT TO POINT OUT:

EACH DAY HAS A 120 HOUR DEADLINE.
ting =)
ting =)
Mafia Scum
ting =)
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:48 pm

Post by ting =) »

Vote:Icemuffin
for not knowing how to spell. It's IceCREAM.

Since we have a 100 post limit, I'm going to type out what I think of the setup in what is supposed to be my random vote post.

The multiheads scare me. Especially 'Now a Jdodge.' With that many people in that account, I'm not sure how easy it'll be getting a read. I've also never played with any of the people in that account except for xdaamno.

I'm going to be annoyed by people who make short-ish posts and will move to get them lynched. Every post just bumps the mafia kill. The more content we get in before the post count hits 250, the better.

I'm also going to be annoyed by people who don't post and will move to get them lynched. We have a 5 day deadline.

We should wagon someone.

---

Has any game like this been run before? This is the first game I'm in with a <1 week deadline, the first with multiheads, and the first with mod/nightkill based on post count. Are there any particular strategies for this kind of setup?
killa seven
killa seven
Mafia Scum
killa seven
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:11 pm

Post by killa seven »

vote ting

for beating me to the thread
Show
Games Won..
Mini 545 as town.
Mini 578 as scum.
mini 618 as scum.
Mushroom Kingdom as town.
Monty pythons as town.
mini 642 bodyguard 7 as town
Explosive mafia - as scum
mini 712 -town
Icemuffin
Icemuffin
Townie
Icemuffin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:24 pm

Post by Icemuffin »

Hi everybody, muf here. Some people here I know and others Im playing with for the first time. Now as ting said we need to make as each post as big as possible which I dont think im going to have a problem with. Also I suggest the hydras gather up information then post it all in the single post. As for those on their own, Its proberbly best to put it all on word doucument or write it down. Or if you have a really great memory then use it. Also we only have a weeks till the deadline so we need frequency as well.

I dont know how but we need to make this random voting stage as quick as possible. Therefore this will be my only rv stage post (icemane may do otherwise his choice).

With that said
vote Now a JDodge
. What is NaJD without jd himself even playing? That in itself desearves a wagon lol. Also killer try to post bigger in future.
Green Cow
Green Cow
Townie
Green Cow
Townie
Townie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:20 am

Post by Green Cow »

Hi guys, how are you all doing?
First off,
FoS: killa seven
for making a small post so early. We shouldn't be wasting posts like this, for a few reasons. I won't go into them right now though, because everyone should be familiar with them.

I think we should wait to hear from more people before voting, as we don't want to randomly bandwagon and all just make vote: x posts later.

We have 5 days to make a decision, let's not do it the last day. We should have good reasons to vote someone before that, so let's not panic and do something dumb right at the end of the day.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:37 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

ting =), I agree that nine people to an account is pretty hard to manage. I was thinking it be two or at most three people, but damn, that's one big hydra.

killa seven, you just wasted your first post out of 100 by sticking only eight words in it. Care to explain that?

IceMuffin, that's an excellent plan you have there. Should get a lot of conversation going. Make your posts effective. Squeeze everything in one jam-packed box. I'm going to love this.

Green Cow, I understand your bandwagoning concern, but if short posts concern you as a waste of space, then why are you merely FoS'ing killa seven for it? I don't get it, and you seem overly cautious here.

Vote: Green Cow
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.

What Were You Thinking XV! is in progress.
strife220
strife220
Mafia Scum
strife220
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:45 am

Post by strife220 »

Vote: Killa Seven

We have post limits, but we don't have word limits to our posts. That means that you should be posting fairly infrequently (definitely not twice a day), while posting as much content as possible in each of your posts. Make up for quantity with quality.

I agree with Icemuffin, you should probably write notes as you go in a notepad file, and then combine them all when you finally do need to post.

Posting without content is what mafia wants most in this game, and thus it should be considered exceptionally scummy when someone does so. Asking people questions that will have short answers is fine: it's up to the person answering those questions to make sure they don't answer until they have a substantial amount to say. i.e. if I ask StangerCoug what his favorite color is, he shouldn't come back and say 'blue.' He should wait until he is forced to post by the time limit,

What I'm less sure of is if we should be trying to beat the deadline. There's a fair bit of math that can go into analyzing this game: 72 hour activity deadlines, 120 hour days, 100 posts per person, and 250 posts (5 pages) per scum-kill. It's not very intuitive what a good posting frequency is, and if we should be trying to get our lynches off before the last day. Anybody who wants to commit some time to doing some math would be appreciated.

My opinions on the hydras are mixed. NAJD has something like a dozen heads, which means meta, as well as reading their motivations, is just about impossible. If they're scum (or should we be calling them a he/she?), they're in a very strong position. Presumably, nobody will be posting anything without the others confirming it worthwhile. This also means no scum-slips, as there are too many people to catch them before it formally gets posted. I'd like NAJD to post their method by which they agree upon what gets posted. Actually, the same question can apply to all hydras: How are you choosing what to post?

If NAJD (and to a lesser extent, smaller hydras) is town, I'm not sure if we get the same benefits as they do if they're scum. That is, I think a dozen-headed hydra is a much stronger scum character than town. I'd love to hear others opinions why this is or isn't true, and why lynching NAJD is or isn't a good idea. Is a 12 headed hydra 12 times as good at scum-hunting? Are they more dangerous as scum than a 2-headed hydra, or even a single player?

Another thing I think is important about the game is bandwagoning. I think it is more crucial here to form good bandwagons than the average game, because bandwagoning = straight to business. Indecisiveness leads to more frequent posting, which is bad, since more posting = more scum lynches. As such, we will have to adjust more than usual to accepting other people's decisions on who is the scummiest. I considering going off on your own to make votes that aren't backed by sufficient logic as 'noise' posts. Noise = scummy. If you oppose a wagon, you should give a good reason why your vote is more well placed.

That's all I can think to say right now. Want to hear other's opinions on most everything I said. There is a unique strategy for town to play this game, and I think the more people put their 2cents in, the closer we'll come to finding that strategy. In particular: posting rates, what do scum want to do this game, how hydras should be treated, etc.
Limited access, Aug 29 - Sept 3
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:38 am

Post by Lawrencelot »

Hi guys. These are my thoughts on the post limit:
We should all be careful with posting. I think the multi-heads should talk to each other via pm before posting, and better let only one person in each multi-head post.

Secondly, if possible we should skip the random voting stage. As said before, we've got less than a week, so a reasoned vote or a reasoned "not changing your vote" in every post is what I'll be looking for.

I too am concerned about Now a Jdodge. With so many persons, he will be extremely hard to read. As scum, they will have lots of options to mislead the town, and if they're town, it's pretty possible they will confuse us all. I think Now a Jdodge would be a good place for my vote now.
Vote: Now a Jdodge

Lastly, Muerrto told me he is suspicious of Green Cow and Killa 7, and I agree about killa. Killa, if you keep making posts like that, we'll not have enough info after 100 or after 250 posts, whichever happens first (heh that looks dumb, but you know what I mean). This is not a normal game.
FoS: killa7
. I'm less suspicious about Green Cow (Muerrto found it odd he didn't vote) because he clearly stated his suspicions, but on behalf of Muerrto:
FoS: Green Cow
for his stance on voting.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:13 am

Post by xyzzy »

A couple of points of order - klebian asked to be removed from NAJ. I'm okay with people leaving a hydra if they wish, but no additions can be made. Also, I'd like to point out, since it's not 100% clear, that this game is mountainous with 2 scum and 10 townies. If they wish, hydra players may post with their main account, but they will still be treated as one entity.

Votecount 1-1icemuffin: ting =)
ting =): killa seven
Now a JDodge: icemuffin, Lawrencelot-Muerrto
Green Cow: StrangerCoug
killa seven: strife220

Not voting: ShadowGirl, kabenon007, Now a JDodge, Green Cow, maxwellhouse, Tarmogoyf
Now a JDodge
Now a JDodge
Townie
Now a JDodge
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:34 pm

Post by Now a JDodge »

hi
vote Green Cow
Tarmogoyf
Tarmogoyf
Townie
Tarmogoyf
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:54 pm

Post by Tarmogoyf »

/confirm and such.

In addition to what Icemuffin and Strife and, well, everyone who made a really long post said, I have a few things to add.

1. For hydras, post who is the actual poster of the post. This post, for example, is being written by Natirasha.
2. I don't make long posts. Never have, never will. I will attempt to do better in this situation, though. Sens is better at it than me, though.
3. Sens and I have somehow been able to time our V/LA so that one of us will be here.

Anyways, I'm going to join the NAJD bandwagon because I know they are in the game to screw around AND because of that first post they made.

Vote: NowAJdodge

-Natirasha
Ban It.
ting =)
ting =)
Mafia Scum
ting =)
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:35 pm

Post by ting =) »

unvote:vote NaJD.
You're getting lynched at deadline unless you can convince me why I should unvote.

Okay, I was running some numbers. There are 3 things to worry about and keep in mind when posting.
  1. The 100 posts limit.
  2. The 250 posts nk.
  3. The deadline.
Since we have a 10:2 setup, this game will last 4 days maximum. Assuming you want to spread you posts over the 4 days, that's 25 posts per game day, or 5 posts per real time day. That's actually not as bad as I thought it would be. The 100 post limit is probably the least of our worries.

The 250 post nk is more troubling. Assuming we do make 5 posts per day to maximize the number of posts of we can make in this game, that's 12*25 posts in one game day, or 300 posts - the nk will happen before the day ends.

So, if we want the nk to roughly coincide with the end of the day, we should only have 50 posts per real time day, or ~4 posts per person.

Technically though, we could just wagon people right now and squeeze 10 days in before the mafia even have an nk. We need to find a ratio we're willing to work with. Having 5 days before night sets in would be awesome, but we'd have so little information to work with, the votes would be random.

I'm thinking 2 lynches/night kill is a fair lynch:information ratio.

I was thinking a graph would be a good way to represent all this, but I don't have the software to make one.

I agree that multiheads should probably discuss before posting, but that'd slow the game down a bit, which is pretty bad considering the deadline. NaJD probably can't wait until all 9 heads agree on something before making a post.

Obviously, we need to keep watch of our 100 posts, but I think squeezing as much information as we can before the 5 day deadline hits will be more important than waiting for agreement from other heads.

Unless you normally post once every hour, the multiheads should be safe posting normally with the 5 posts per real time day thing.

@strife.
I agree that Scumdra is definitely more dangerous than normal scum. I'm not sure how to approach getting a read on the hydras. I have a feeling I'll end up with conflicting reads on the heads of some of the hydras later on in the game. We can't just policy lynch hydras though, so I'm not sure.

Towndras are probably going to be pretty helpful because of their varied insight. Assuming NaJD is town for example, that's already the same number of players as the rest of the town scumhunting. As long as they can work with the limits and deadlines, they'll probably contribute more than us.

Given the choice between lynching a hydra and lynching a normal player, where both of them have equal chance of being scum though, I'd lynch the hydra. :hides from all the enraged hydras:

Whew. Uber long post by page 1. I'm cringing at the thought of the massive walls of text we'll have later on.
Now a JDodge
Now a JDodge
Townie
Now a JDodge
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:35 pm

Post by Now a JDodge »

Hi folks. Trojan Horse here.

unvote

I have no idea which of my fellow heads made that first post. I sent a PM (NAJ to NAJ) asking about it, but it doesn't look like anyone has read it yet. I wanted to take time to discuss things with my fellow heads, but that does not look likely. Looks like I'll have to lead until they start showing up.

A few comments:
ting wrote:Since we have a 10:2 setup, this game will last 4 days maximum.
I have no idea how you got that. Even with a nk between each lynch and the next, this game could last 5 days.
ting wrote:Assuming you want to spread you posts over the 4 days, that's 25 posts per game day, or 5 posts per real time day. That's actually not as bad as I thought it would be. The 100 post limit is probably the least of our worries.

The 250 post nk is more troubling. Assuming we do make 5 posts per day to maximize the number of posts of we can make in this game, that's 12*25 posts in one game day, or 300 posts - the nk will happen before the day ends.

So, if we want the nk to roughly coincide with the end of the day, we should only have 50 posts per real time day, or ~4 posts per person.
One thing you should realize: as people are lynched, those 50 posts per real time day will be split between fewer and fewer people. That 100 post limit may be the least of our worries now, but it'll probably get more worrisome the later we get into the game.
ting wrote:Towndras are probably going to be pretty helpful because of their varied insight. Assuming NaJD is town for example, that's already the same number of players as the rest of the town scumhunting. As long as they can work with the limits and deadlines, they'll probably contribute more than us.
Don't count on that amount of help. With klebian's departure, there are only 8 of us heads left. SL hasn't posted since Tuesday. BA hasn't posted since Wednesday, and he's off at Starkadium (if I'm not mistaken). That leaves 6 heads that might be around, and I wouldn't be surprised if only 2 or 3 of us end up contributing. We'll just have to put in an extra effort to make up for our slacker heads.

Anyway,
vote killa seven
, pending a relevant post on his part.
ting =)
ting =)
Mafia Scum
ting =)
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:56 pm

Post by ting =) »

NaJD-trojan wrote:I have no idea how you got that. Even with a nk between each lynch and the next, this game could last 5 days.
Oops, I misread it as 10 total players, 2 of them scum. My bad.

New numbers:
Assuming spreading out, it's 20 posts per game day, or 4 posts per real time day. Everything else in my previous post should be fine.
NaJD-trojan wrote:One thing you should realize: as people are lynched, those 50 posts per real time day will be split between fewer and fewer people. That 100 post limit may be the least of our worries now, but it'll probably get more worrisome the later we get into the game.
Yes, that's why I mentioned going on the assumption of spreading the posts out. Also why I suggested graphing the information actually.

You just made me realize something though. If our rate of posting remains constant irregardless of deaths, the nk happens further and further apart. It should make for an interesting mid-end game.
NaJD-trojan wrote:Don't count on that amount of help... That leaves 6 heads that might be around, and I wouldn't be surprised if only 2 or 3 of us end up contributing.
Actually, I feel better that there's only 2 to 3 heads around. 9 is way pass the point of diminishing returns. I've never played with multi heads yet though, so I'm not so sure how it works really.

---

Saying one of your other heads did 'scummy action x' as a defense is cheap. You're essentially voting killa seven for the exact same thing you did.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:27 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

OK, I have to admit, this is my first theme game, and all the math involved in just this specific game is killing me right now. I think I'm safe with one post every calendar day (and by "calendar day" I mean from midnight to midnight local time, in my case Mountain Daylight Time), but it may come a time where more frequent posting is in order. For now, better safe than sorry.

I agree with strife220 that contentless posts are exactly what the Mafia wants. His argument about questions that only have one-word answers being OK if the person also adds game-relevant information is OK as far as I can figure out (if anybody's curious as to his specific example, my favorite color is actually purple), but I think even those questions should be asked as infrequently as possible. The more information we can get, the better.

I don't like Now a JDodge's first post at all—it's even worse than killa seven's first post, only three words long. Way to waste space. His second post is hypocritical as well.

Unvote: Green Cow
Vote: Not a JDodge

Two posts down and 98 to go for me.
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.

What Were You Thinking XV! is in progress.
Green Cow
Green Cow
Townie
Green Cow
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:33 am

Post by Green Cow »

Yo, Gorrad here. I agree with my partner, except that he went too easy.
Vote: K7

The NAJD wagon is not a good one. While yes, it is harder for us to get reads on them, they will also make, in general, significantly more posts. This means they'll reach the post limit before any of us. This goes for all the hydras, but NAJD more than any.

All that said, I do NOT like NAJD's first post. It was probably Jathan.
maxwellhouse
maxwellhouse
Goon
maxwellhouse
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:52 am

Post by maxwellhouse »

i've been trying to think of something meaningful to contribute before actually saying anything because of the limit post... but i was prodded so i must talk.

i'm not entirely sure about nowajdodge. the random pop-in to say "hi i vote green cow"? what was that? i suppose it could be a random slip up of not reading the rules, but i kinda feel like it was a slip up of poor communication, as in the hydras talked but did not clear up everything of their vote.

killa seven, i think that was a slip up. based on what he said, he seemed very "normal" mafia lynching. the reason he hasn't responded with he reasons could be his making up for the short post. so i don't think we should jump on killa seven just yet.

green cow makes a good point- hydras = more posts as more of the heads try to surface with opinions.

so... as for now...

vote: nowajdodge
kabenon007
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
kabenon007
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: Cannot be disclosed, as it would jeapordize my mission

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:27 am

Post by kabenon007 »

I do not have much time to post, I do not have much time at the moment to read, but I do not want to waste my post, nor do I want to be modkilled for not posting in 72 hours, so consider this an obligatory post in which I will try to have some thoughts as well.

I for one think that having Now a JDodge include in their posts who is making the posts, so that meta is indeed possible. I do not like how the wagon is growing so quickly on him, because with so many heads, it is likely that their post count will also be higher than others, and therefore they will reach the limit more quickly.

Vote:killa seven for making a short post that furthered a mafia kill and lowered his vitality, while providing us no information. Kudos.
I put the "laughter" in manslaughter.
icemanE
icemanE
Mafia Scum
icemanE
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:31 am

Post by icemanE »

This is IcemanE. I only have time for a quick question for the mod and will make a much more comprehensive analysis post soon, if the answer to the question I'm about to ask is no. I believe NAJD has already been lynched, with maxwell's being the hammer vote: Am I correct?
Icemuffin
Icemuffin
Townie
Icemuffin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:33 am

Post by Icemuffin »

EBWOP: Wrong account above. Sorry. Here is the post again on the correct account:

This is IcemanE. I only have time for a quick question for the mod and will make a much more comprehensive analysis post soon, if the answer to the question I'm about to ask is no. I believe NAJD has already been lynched, with maxwell's being the hammer vote: Am I correct?
Now a JDodge
Now a JDodge
Townie
Now a JDodge
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:42 pm

Post by Now a JDodge »

Trojan Horse here again. Long, busy day; finally got the time to post again. Here are some more of my thoughts. (Also, I'm including a thought from fellow head Xdaamno; he requested that I add it in.)

1. I/We are at 6 votes right now, not 7, Icemuffin (at least by my count). So it's not over yet. I will say, though, that I'm sure that the mod will count both of your posts (both the one as Iceman and the one as Icemuffin) against you. You didn't need to come in and post under the hydra account; the mod said that posts under the individual accounts are legal.

2. I still have no idea who made that first NAJ post. Green Cow, I really doubt it was Jathan, considering that he hasn't been posting for several days (though that certainly is his style of post).

3. I'm sure at least one of the scum- possibly even both- is on my bandwagon right now. Obvious first round target for the scum, since the fewer minds trying to deduce who the scum are, the better for the scum. Who's most likely? My fellow head has his suspicions:
Xdaamno wrote:Natirasha (Tarmogoyf), your vote is perplexing; Now a JDodge is not just here to screw around, we're actually playing mafia - though even if we were, that wouldn't be any reason to vote us. While I can sort of deduce you were semi-joking, the second half of your reasoning isn't much clearer. What about that post made you think NaJ is scum? Do you really think anyone in this hydra at all is stupid enough to blatantly try and lose the game for town single-handedly? WIFOM dosen't apply, as town wasting posts can't possibly be interpreted as town, therefore scum would have no alignment-based reason to do so. To clarify, null tell.

Seems like looking for excuses to vote, from my POV.

~ Xdaamno
My fellow head may well have it right, but my eyes are on a couple of later voters, namely StrangerCoug and maxwellhouse. I tried to make a meaningful contribution after a rogue head of mine made a meaningless post. And they push us to the brink of being lynched AFTER I've made my contribution? StrangerCoug is the more suspicious of the two, in my opinion, based on this:
StrangerCoug wrote:killa seven, you just wasted your first post out of 100 by sticking only eight words in it. Care to explain that?

Green Cow, I understand your bandwagoning concern, but if short posts concern you as a waste of space, then why are you merely FoS'ing killa seven for it? I don't get it, and you seem overly cautious here.

Vote: Green Cow
Um, it sounds very reasonable to me for someone to make a FOS in their very first post, instead of a vote. That's not a scumtell to me. Based on having (IMO) a bad reason to vote Green Cow, and based on what looks like an opportunistic vote on me:

Unvote K7
Vote StrangerCoug

Note: I'm not letting K7 off the hook yet; I still want him to come in and make some kind of contribution. But at the moment, StrangerCoug looks scummier to me.
Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by Muerrto »

Lawrencelot seems to be MIA for the weekend so I thought I'd post for us.

First off

Unvote

JDodge was being bumrushed far too quickly, especially without hearing anything of content from a few players. The time limit isn't that short people.

Second, I agree with Jdodge that pushing his lynch that quickly even after he explained the first post is kind of strange and oppotunistic. I'm still wary of the many heads but we haven't even heard from a few players still(Shadow girl and Killa7, I don't count his first post as posting).

Maxwell defended Killa7 in his post(slip up?) and then attacked and VOTED JDodge for the exact same reason(the short post). How's 1 bad and 1 a slip up? And the vote put him at lynch -1. In a normal game you'd have to answer for a risky move like that for a horrible reason.

Answer for it.

Vote: Maxwell
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

I feel for the rest of the players every time I get a town PM.
strife220
strife220
Mafia Scum
strife220
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:14 pm

Post by strife220 »

Lawrencelot wrote:Lastly, Muerrto told me he is suspicious of Green Cow and Killa 7, and I agree about killa. Killa, if you keep making posts like that, we'll not have enough info after 100 or after 250 posts, whichever happens first (heh that looks dumb, but you know what I mean). This is not a normal game.
FoS: killa7
. I'm less suspicious about Green Cow (Muerrto found it odd he didn't vote) because he clearly stated his suspicions, but on behalf of Muerrto:
FoS: Green Cow
for his stance on voting.
I really appreciate this form of hydra-play. Making it clear who your partner is and what each of your thoughts are is definitely the pro-town way all hydras should be playing. Hydras who post like this will be much easier to read as scum, and no less effective as town. Hydras who are not clear like this should be treated with suspicion.

@Ting post 12:
Thanks a load for doing the math. I agree, the 100 post thing is pretty much irrelevant.

I think everybody sticking to about 1 post per day max is a good idea. Just save all your thoughts and post them together at the beginning/end of the day.

The way I understand the game is that there is a formal 'night' every 5 days, however town and scum can make as many kills during the day as votes/posts account for? So theoretically we could finish this game before scum even get a chance to make a kill? I must be wrong here, since the game would be broken in favor of town in this case. All town would need to do is develop a system to lynch randomly, and scum would have a slim-to-none chance of winning.
Looking for
mod
confirmation here: Do scum only get to make kills every 250 posts? Or every 250 posts + after every town lynch?

@NAJ: If you have someone on your team that's going to be useless and post 5-word posts, you deserve to be lynched.
@ the competent member of NAJ: Ting got it right here:
ting =) wrote:Saying one of your other heads did 'scummy action x' as a defense is cheap. You're essentially voting killa seven for the exact same thing you did.
If one of you does something scummy, you all do something scummy. I'm not suspicious of those who voted you even after TrojanHorse made his post - "I'm sorry" doesn't cut it for a hydra anymore than it does for a regular player.
Xdammno as part of Now a JDodge wrote:Natirasha (Tarmogoyf), your vote is perplexing; Now a JDodge is not just here to screw around, we're actually playing mafia - though even if we were, that wouldn't be any reason to vote us... Do you really think anyone in this hydra at all is stupid enough to blatantly try and lose the game for town single-handedly?
Did you read your Hydra's first post? Either they were screwing around, or.... they were screwing around. And that IS good reason to vote someone. If all your posts were going to be as useless as the first one, then all your character would be doing is driving up the post count and increasing # of mafia lynches.

Now all that said, if that was a one-time incident, then I have no major qualms. Your last 2 posts were worthwhile, and I hope it continues that way. If you start posting excessively (using 'well there's 7 of us!' as an excuse), or if another non-accidental useless post is made, then I will think you're hands-down the best D1 lynch. I hope you can understand why people would be unhappy with your first post and it's blatant disregard for what is pro-town here.

@Greencow:
Green Cow wrote:The NAJD wagon is not a good one. While yes, it is harder for us to get reads on them, they will also make, in general, significantly more posts. This means they'll reach the post limit before any of us. This goes for all the hydras, but NAJD more than any.
I don't understand. More posts = more scum lynches = a bad thing. And how is hitting the post limit a good thing? I find this post suspicious, and would really like to hear an elaboration. As far as I can tell, you just explained why NAJ was a good lynch, yet said his lynch is "not a good one."

@Icemuffin:
More wasted posts... Firstly, you should be able to count for yourself. NAJ was at 6 votes: L-1. Secondly, the double post was completely unnecessary.

@Everyone:
I'm not sure what xyzzy's position on this is, but if you screw up a post for whatever reason, you should probably PM him. Example being Icemuffin posting on the wrong account, or Kabenon007 forgetting to bold his vote in post 18.

Also, does anyone think there's ANY reason to make people claim here? I know there's only vanilla scum and vanilla town, but I personally have flavor in my role-pm. That is, I'm not a 'vanilla townie,' I'm a *something else* that has no powers and is pro-town. It's possible everybody has a unique title, in which case claims may actually be useful in case scum claims a title that town has.

EBWO..posting in pieces:
Just checked the intro post again and read the rules more closely.
xyzzy wrote: Rule One: Lynching. All voting and unvoting must be in bold type, in the format “vote: Ether” or “unvote”. At the end of each day, whoever has had the most votes on them for the longest time will be lynched even if that person already has a majority of votes on them before deadline. You must unvote before voting. Failure to do so will result in your new vote not being counted.
Sounds like this is not a standard lynch. I interpret this to mean that every 5 days, there will be a lynch, and that lynch will not simply be whoever has the most votes on them. Moreover, 7 votes on someone right now does not get them lynched. It's whoever got the most votes over the day, and in the case of a tie, whoever had said number of votes on them for the longest amount of real-time.
Limited access, Aug 29 - Sept 3
maxwellhouse
maxwellhouse
Goon
maxwellhouse
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:26 pm

Post by maxwellhouse »

first off, i came to post only because i was prodded and don't want to be eliminated because of that. second, i voted because i didn't want to waste a post by not voting, and i thought voting would make NAJD respond and defend themselves. i guess that was some faulty decision-making on my part, sorry about that.

honestly, i am a bit baffled at who to vote for. but now that i'm reading stuff, i am hesitant to go through with the voting. maybe i am easily swayed but...

unvote

though now that i am reviewing, the icemuffin seems to be contributing not so much besides the writing down the ideas in a word document. both people seem to be filling up more posts than necessary. the first post did not really have much "meat" to it and the second two... couldn't you have asked the question AND had the analysis in the same post? it would take up less posts.

vote: icemuffin

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”