My Ip address at home is tripping up spam detection

Obsolete, fixed, and incorrect bug requests and problems. Browse here before posting a new topic, to avoid duplicates.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

My Ip address at home is tripping up spam detection

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:18 am

Post by CooLDoG »

I'm going to have a harsh word with my apartment complex about their shitty networking. There is no password on the network. Their IP assignment is wack and constantly shifting, and it is tripping up the spam filter. When I get home from work today I will write down my ip and post it in here tomorrow when it does not trip up spam bot. I will also have a harsh word.
after a wank.
Invisibility
Invisibility
he or she
Jack of All Trades
Invisibility
he or she
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he or she

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:56 am

Post by Invisibility »

you didnt post it here
Invisibility is actually AWESOME!
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:19 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

he didn't post it here
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
ejjinami
ejjinami
Mafia Scum
ejjinami
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:56 pm

Post by ejjinami »

In post 0, CooLDoG wrote:I'm going to have a harsh word with my apartment complex about their shitty networking. There is no password on the network. Their IP assignment is wack and constantly shifting, and it is tripping up the spam filter. When I get home from work today I will write down my ip and post it in here tomorrow when it does not trip up spam bot. I will also have a harsh word.
actually, the same thing might be happening to me rn... I can use the network at home just fine, but I can't post on my phone because "my IP has been blacklisted" for some reason...
Does anyone know how to fix it?
should I PM a mod about it or sth?
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:04 am

Post by MathBlade »

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2955112 ... other.html

1) I am not a mod but know a small bit about networking.
2) Are you on WiFi or data on your phone? Try posting on WiFi on your phone if you were using data.

IP assignment can change from time to time but is very very rare. Something like that I would look into if someone is rebooting the router a lot or your internal hardware has issues or theirs.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:05 am

Post by MathBlade »

If you’re using a public WiFi or data your IP address can be different. Similar to but not the same as using a computer in a lab.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
ejjinami
ejjinami
Mafia Scum
ejjinami
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:58 am

Post by ejjinami »

Yeah, I was using data on the phone... I have no access to WiFi 80-90% of the time, which (if the problem isn't solved) will make playing FM rather difficult.

but thanks! now I at least know a bit about what's going on
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:20 pm

Post by MathBlade »

In post 6, ejjinami wrote:Yeah, I was using data on the phone... I have no access to WiFi 80-90% of the time, which (if the problem isn't solved) will make playing FM rather difficult.

but thanks! now I at least know a bit about what's going on
Because of how I think (as I am hypothesizing here) how the mods ban by IP that may just sporadically happen. If it was on WiFi then it would be another matter. I would try maybe a different router. What may (and I stress may) have happened is some mean person was spamming and your data got routed through that same router. There really isn’t much that can be done imho if that’s the case but maybe someone who is a better network person than me can say.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Post by MathBlade »

The good news is that in theory it will go away eventually.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
ejjinami
ejjinami
Mafia Scum
ejjinami
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:45 am

Post by ejjinami »

In post 8, MathBlade wrote:The good news is that in theory it will go away eventually.
well, I hope so :)
thx
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri May 03, 2019 5:52 am

Post by callforjudgement »

The thing about mobile data connections is that they normally have a small set of IPs that get rotated between people making data connections at any given moment. So if there's a spammer or banned person who uses the same phone company that you do, and is in the same city as you, you'll both be taking IPs from the same pool and the site won't be able to tell you apart by IP.

Large sites normally have some way around this (e.g. on Wikipedia it's possible to explicitly mark user accounts as legitimate but using suspicious IPs, so that they don't get autoblocked as long as they stay logged in), but coding that sort of thing is much harder than just applying IP blocks.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:38 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Hi, this is also happening to me!
KittenLicks
KittenLicks
Goon
KittenLicks
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:05 pm

Post by KittenLicks »

I seem to kind of have the opposite problem from what's happening here. My home wifi's blocked - which is super annoying - but my mobile wifi works.
Your IP 41.169.121.21 has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=41.169.121.21.
Is there anything to do except wait and hope? :(
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:57 am

In post 12, KittenLicks wrote:I seem to kind of have the opposite problem from what's happening here. My home wifi's blocked - which is super annoying - but my mobile wifi works.
Your IP 41.169.121.21 has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=41.169.121.21.
Is there anything to do except wait and hope? :(
That's an SBLCSS issue, implying that the IP address in question has been purchased by an email spammer.

The first thing to try is a full reset of your router; turn it off, wait a few hours (ideally while you're asleep so that being stuck without internet isn't an issue), turn it back on. It's possible that your ISP recycles IP addresses but fairly slowly, in which case you'll want to move onto a different address from the ISP's pool (and thus you need to give time to let that IP address pass to someone else).

If that doesn't work – meaning that
you
are apparently an email spammer – you'll want to do a full scan of your computer (and any other computers using the same router) using virus/adware removal tools. I assume you wouldn't be spamming intentionally, so this would presumably only happen if someone else had hijacked your computer.
scum
town
KittenLicks
KittenLicks
Goon
KittenLicks
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:07 am

Post by KittenLicks »

Oof, yes, I've got some people with less than stellar digital hygiene on my network. Thanks for the tip, I ran some adware removal tools on all the computers in the house, and it seems the IP has been delisted now. I don't know if that's because whatever problem is gone and Spamhaus has delisted the ip in response, or it's a coincidence, but everything's sunshine and roses now. (:

Thanks a bunch for the help!
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:21 am

Post by Fluminator »

Oh good it's not just me lol
NaCl
NaCl
Goon
NaCl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:41 am

Post by NaCl »

I also get this from time to time.

I wind up using TOR to get around it, but other things like VPNs should also work, I believe. It is a bit of a pain, though.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:12 am

Post by Kison »

I've tentatively removed the IP blacklist we had in place that prevented people from posting, but kept it in place to block registering new accounts. We'll keep an eye out to see if there's an uptick in spam.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:46 am

FWIW, this was affecting me too recently on a phone connection; given that all the connections are taken from a fairly small pool, if you're in the same connection pool as a spammer, there's often not much you can do (the spammer will keep resetting their connection to get a new IP whenever they're blocked, and other people forced to use the same pool of connections will be indistinguishable from the spammer).

It's a problem that can be quite hard to deal with sometimes, as when a legitimate user and spammer look the same in terms of the connections, how do you know who to block?
scum
town

Return to “Solved Requests”