[CHALLENGE] October Challenge

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:28 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

Aspirations
3 Mafia

10 Town

In addition to an alignment, the following aspirations are randomly assigned:

Aspiring Traffic Analyst
Aspiring Tracker
Aspiring 1-Shot Cop
Aspiring 2-Shot Watcher
Aspiring Doctor
Aspiring Rolestopper
Aspiring Jailkeeper
Aspiring Philanthropist (funding vote counts triple)
Aspiring Recordkeeper (whenever a player dies, learns their most recent funding vote)
Aspiring Neighborizer
Aspiring Ascetic 1-Shot Bulletproof
Aspiring Innocent Child (if town, can reveal at any time; if scum, obviously cannot)
Aspiring 1-Shot Vigilante

Each day there is a secret funding vote concurrent with the regular vote, determined by plurality when the day ends. The player who wins the funding vote is privately notified and permanently gains the ability they are aspiring to.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:18 pm

Post by northsidegal »

bumping this to say don't include my setup as it is now in voting, also maybe as a reminder to myself to rework it
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:37 am

Post by popsofctown »

Cantidates:
Ircher post 13
OkaPoka post 11
TemporalLich: post 42
Not Known 15: post 46
popsofctown: post 48
student: post 49
Something_Smart: post 50
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:20 am

Post by popsofctown »

popsofctown: I think electing a townread for a power is really cool/fun. I liked the concept of Crown on the Ground. I have a hot take that LyLo IC is a very underutilized role because it's not-vanilla, yet does not create "don't gotta prove myself" slot until LyLo when those slots often emerge in mountainous anyway, and it is impossible for the role to checkmate scum when the setup is designed correctly. In this case I used it in a special way to sneak partial information about the hidden powers into the setup.

Something_Smart: So this is really similar to my submission, but it uses PR secrecy instead of PR BP to resolve the EZ PR hunting problem. I like my solution better being the narcissist that I am. If scum can identify widely townread slots, those are the slots they want to shoot anyway, and it is not too difficult to shoot the PRs. There is lots of room for town to be tricksy and get around that, but I feel like it may be more enjoyable to have the freedom to townlock who you want to townlock and scumlock who you want to scumlock instead of thinking about the nightkill so much even when you didn't roll doctor.
All of this is pretty comparative this is like top 2% of percentile of open setup quality (since I designed the challenge I kind of set myself up for this kind of statement obviously) and I'd /in this pretty hard. It looks very low balanced and low swing without being mountainous.

student: I think this setup is a good example of how the Monthly Design Contest challenges can lead to interesting setups, because I actually think this setup is really good and looks fun in spite of (or, rather, because of) taking on more requirements than necessary to match the challenge. It is kind of the better way to do Ircher's setup since the VT ability to ping HP isn't governy. Admittedly the doctor in particular functions like a less democratic governor, but I'm less concerned about this setup becoming a "dayless" setup. I have some question marks about the balance here, I don't know if this is spot on or spot off.

OkaPoka: This is a really innovative setup with a very dayplay friendly core mechanic. My biggest concern with the setup is 4:2 6p being a very slow dayphase due to evensies being stacked on top of a group lynch (a group lynch that requires suicidality to tiebreak).

Ircher: My first impulse was that this setup is great, but afterwards are started to think and think and I have concerns. The town has a similar amount of lynching and governing power, essentially, and that can be an orange flag for how fun a setup plays, even if to be fair most governerish game throws are town's fault at the core.

Not Known 15: I like lots of things about this setup, but a potential early win condition seems like a bit much to me for an 11p. I'm more comfortable with instant win possibilities in smaller games.

TemporaLich: I am ranking TemporalLich last purely due to my relationship with multiball. The setup seems really well designed for multiball I just don't like multiball.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:07 am

Post by TemporalLich »

My votes are this:

Subsystem Damage
(TL) - Cold hard bias, I think it's a decent three HP "everyone is a vig" setup. It's meant to be chaotic, so there's multiball and everyone having vigilante powers.
Doomed Districts
(Oka) - This seems complex at first but the district drawing is actually deceptively simple and fluid considering you eliminate districts (which always contain 3 players). I'd like to see this setup run, it's an interesting Splash Damage-esque setup.
One Way to Vig
(student) - You actually tried meeting all requirements when you needed only one... That alone is amazing, but the setup actually looks like a fun setup.
Hurting and Healing
(Ircher) - I'm not very fond of limited reveal but feel it is very well executed here. This is a pretty fun setup that diffuses the lynch. (and adds a govern/protection power making this a townhunt setup)
Aspirations
(S_S) - A smalltown setup based on the crown mechanic. It's okay I guess?
Tiara on the Ground
(Pops) - An interesting but flawed smalltown power up setup. The Omniscient is a quite powerful role but claiming it would be deadly. Commoners have it in their best interest to claim immediately though (a scum commoner might not, but that would be obviously scummy). Personally I'd replace the commoners with anastasia neighbors (neighbor PT is created when either gets the tiara) or something.
Dangerous Gifts
(NK15) - A complex setup with an additional phase that calls its pregame phase "power distribution". I feel like the crown of the realm is very liable to end up being the P1 power to be given out since its town autowin effect will be ineffective unless a D1 scum lynch happens. I don't really understand the setup either.
time will end
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:25 am

Post by Ircher »

Ircher
Temporallich- Really neat setup and simple too.
popsofctown
student
OkaPoka
Something_Smart
NK15 -- Seems okay, but maybe a bit too complicated?

I would comment more, but I don't have the time.
Links: User Page | GTKAS | Ratings
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [In Signups: 6/9]
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:02 pm

Post by Mathdino »

So Oka's idea is basically like implosion's Partition Mafia but open-ized and deswinged right? Because that mechanic had a LOT of promise.
Vote incoming.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:41 am

Post by Mathdino »

Votes:

Setups I'd play if still active:
OkaPoka
student

Cool setups:
Something_Smart
Popsofctown

Bit too much:
Ircher
NK15

Multiball:
TemporalLich
student
student
Watcher
student
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:52 pm

Post by student »

can someone do the algorithm thingy to figure out who won? I think it's oka or something_smart since both haven't put themselves first yet. I'm excited to see what November open challenge looks like and its almost middle of the month!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:59 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

Oops. Sorry.

Something_Smart
OkaPoka
popsofctown
Ircher
TemporalLich
student
Not Known 15
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:28 am

Post by popsofctown »

I am the person who does the algorithm thing half the time or more and also the designer this month but my motivation about this is low right now.

If someone would volunteer, much love.
"Well, I..."
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:23 am

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 60, popsofctown wrote:I am the person who does the algorithm thing half the time or more and also the designer this month but my motivation about this is low right now.

If someone would volunteer, much love.
hmm... I could try once again

if not, here's the winner calculator
time will end
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:49 am

Post by TemporalLich »

alright I calculated it and Doomed Districts (OkaPoka) is a strong Condorcet winner (regardless of default votes existing).

Code: Select all

1,Hurting and Healing
2,Doomed Districts
3,Subsystem Damage
4,Dangerous Gifts
5,Tiara on the Ground
6,One Way to Vig
7,Aspirations

5>7>6>2>1>4>3 # popsofctown
3>2>6>1>7>5>4 # TemporalLich
1>3>5>6>2>7>4 # Ircher
2>6>7>5>1>4>3 # Mathdino
7>2>5>1>3>6>4 # Something_Smart
2 # default vote
4 # default vote
6 # default vote
I'm fairly sure "2" is implicitly 2>everything else being = to each other so that should be easier to put in for default votes.
time will end
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:28 am

Post by OkaPoka »

OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:47 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

do i make a December challenge ?
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:34 pm

Post by Ircher »

I believe so!
Links: User Page | GTKAS | Ratings
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [In Signups: 6/9]
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:04 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”