[Challenge] Team Mafia 2020

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

[Challenge] Team Mafia 2020

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:33 pm

Post by Micc »

I enjoy tinkering with open setups every now and then, but I'm only one person with one person's ideas. An event like
Team Mafia 2020
deserves a truly special Open Setup. In an effort to bring in as many ideas as possible, I've decided to enlist the community's help.

This special challenge is an opportunity for game designers to submit a setup for consideration to be used in Team Mafia 2020. Submissions can be made by posting in this thread before the deadline of December 8th. Me and the other Team Mafia moderators hope to select a setup from or heavily inspired by this challenge to be used for the event.

Team Mafia 2020 ChallengeSetups should meet the following requirements:
  • 15 players
  • Two factions: an informed minority vs an uninformed majority
  • Informed minority has a factional nightkill or equivalent.
Setups will be judged based on how well they meet our goals of having fair overall balance with little swing, and being enjoyable to play.

Spoiler: TemporalLich
In post 18, TemporalLich wrote:Here's an attempt at a setup with some flavor-mechanics.

Standard alignment means no multiball chaos or WIFOM involving third parties that are mostly just motivated to townside (damn I wanted a singleball Unjester setup), and low swing means stuff like smalltown and ++ setups are out...

Even though this isn't a semi-open, I am still feeling this setup is innovative and new while still fitting the challenge conditions (15p, standard alignment, scum factional nightkill, semi-balance, low swing).

A Number 15 Large With Extra Flavor
15 players

1 Mafia 1-shot Double Neighborizer
(once in the game, adds two people into the neighborhood)
1 Mafia 1-shot Role Cop

1 Mafia Mailman

2 Town Masons

1 Town Mailman

1 Town Pregame Role Flavorer
(during pregame chooses role flavor for everyone on the playerlist. Flavoring a Town Mason "Dragon" causes them to flip as Dragon, Town Mason)
8 Vanilla Townies

Mafia have a factional nightkill and inherent multitasking.

All PTs have daytalk.

Spoiler: BBmolla
In post 24, BBmolla wrote:
Doctor Lonely

15 players

1 Mafia Rolecop Neighbor
2 Mafia Neighbors

1 Town Indecisive Doctor
1 Town Phone Operator Neighbor
10 Town Neighbors

• Mafia have daytalk.
  • Every neighborhood has two neighbors.
  • Phone Operator checks a player each night and learns the identity of their neighbor. No result when targeting the Doctor or a player with a dead neighbor.
  • Every neighborhood with a Mafia neighbor has a Town neighbor.
  • Phone Operator could be paired with a Mafia Neighbor.

Spoiler: popsofctown
In post 25, popsofctown wrote:
Open Cyclic Mafia

12 Townies

3 Scum

Smalltown distribution of powers. Multiacting is inherent to the setup. All powers are cyclic, which means they can be used up to one time, and either way they are passed to another player after all other night actions resolve. A player holding multiple powers chooses a unique living target to pass his power to for each power, if able. Roles don't disrupt passing, but a dead player can't pass on their role, and when a player dies just before they receive a role it is discarded.
1 Cyclic Loyal Vigilante
1 Cyclic Tracker
1 Cyclic Psychologist
1 Cyclic Rolecop
1 Cyclic Compulsive Loud Visitor
1 Cyclic Compulsive Fruit Vendor
1 Cyclic Bodyguard
1 Cyclic Simple Doctor
1 Cyclic Neighborizer :the player who starts with this starts as a neighbor
1 Cyclic Scavenger : if the targeted player dies that night or the following day, his or her wishes regarding passing on cyclic powers are honored anyway.
1 Cyclic Complex Roleblocker
1 Cyclic Asceticizer
1 Cyclic Complex Bodyguard
1 Cyclic Motion Detector
1 Cyclic Hated

This is maybe an ambitious shitpost but I always wished the Eruci setup got used more.

Spoiler: TemporalLich
In post 26, TemporalLich wrote:
A Number 15 Large With Extra Flavor v1.1
15 players

1 Mafia 1-shot Role Reflavorer
(once in the game during night, changes role flavor for a target player. Role Flavor is limited to 30 characters. Flavoring a Town Mason "Dragon" causes them to flip as Dragon, Town Mason)
1 Mafia Mailman

1 Mafia Goon

1 Town 1-shot Double Neighborizer
1 Town Mailman

(during pregame chooses role flavor for everyone on the playerlist. Role Flavor is limited to 30 characters. Flavoring a Town Mason "Dragon" causes them to flip as Dragon, Town Mason)
9 Vanilla Townies

All PTs have daytalk.
Altered the setup by removing the scum 1-shot role cop, removing the town masons, changing the double neighborizer to town, and adding a scum 1-shot role reflavorer.

Hopefully this is a step in the right direction balance and swing-wise.

Spoiler: Klick
In post 35, Klick wrote:
Band of Misfits
15 players

1 Mafia Rolestopper

1 Mafia Doctor

1 Mafia Goon

1 Town Vigilante

1 Town Voyeur

1 Town Fruit Vendor

1 Town Bodyguard

8 Vanilla Townies

It's half 2 in the morning and I know nothing about open setup balance, but idk, it feels like it has potential to be fun with a bit of tweaking? The idea is that the town numbers imbalance is offset by them having a bunch of mostly situational roles (while still having some fun roles in the setup). The vig should probably be X-shot but idk how many shots so I just left it.

Spoiler: Gamma Emerald
In post 37, Gamma Emerald wrote:
Equivalent Retaliation
Mafia Odd-Night Rolecop
Mafia Even-Night Jailkeeper
Mafia Goon x2

Town Odd-Night Jailkeeper
Town Even-Night Rolecop
Town Vigilante
Vanilla Townie x8

Idea based on Tit for Tat, I’ve always wanted to renovate the setup because I just don’t like the backup idea. So instead each side has a Rolecop and Jailkeeper, arranges so one side’s Rolecop acts the night the other side’s Jailkeeper acts. Mafia has Rolecop on odds and Jailkeeper on evens which makes the setup still carry some of the old feel imo. Also no one has thought to suggest an 11:4 game yet so figured I would.

As for other submissions I like BBMolla’s idea and think it is worth discussion

Spoiler: Alisae
In post 39, Alisae wrote:there was also this MU setup I played a lot and I think could be adapted to 15p since this setup is 17p Mulch actually made this setup I think.

x1 Mafia Role Cop
x3
x2 Mafia Goon
x1 Town Day Vigilante | Even Night
x11
x10 Vanilla Town
x1 Town Vigilante | Odd Night

Spoiler: Not Known 15
In post 47, Not Known 15 wrote:Ok. Two factions.... uninformed majority vs...
informed minority.
Balanced.
Little swing(e.g. no Vigilante, at least not until the end of the game)
Enjoyable to play(e.g. not Mountainous)

Messed Up Setup11 Vanilla Townies
4 Mafia Goons
The Mafia does have a nightkill, but it is compulsive(they have to submit a list of targets to kill if they are not avaliable at the start of the game, and can change it at any time in the night chat if it is open)
Instead of power roles, this game has events(to make it most fun for all....)
The Mafia does have daytalk, and night talk, sometimes...
Event tableEvent 1Event 2Event 3
Day 1
Night 1Judgement IPopcorn ICAUGHT
Day 2Popcorn IIDisrupted Communications
Night 2Jail IDisrupted Communications
Day 3Jail II
Night 3CAUGHTPopcorn I
Day 4Disrupted CommunicationsPopcorn II
Night 4Disrupted Communications
Day 5LYLO:Locked Votes
Night 5Judgement II
Day 6LYLO:Locked VotesFINAL VOTE

EventDescription
JudgementIn the first phase, everyone submits a person. In the second phase, if the person selected by the Nightkill of Judgement I was or is a member of the Mafia, the Mafia must gladiate someone.
PopcornAt night the Mafia selects the first person to vote next day. The next day, that person selects both a vote to lock in and a person to do the same next. If anyone takes more than 48 hours to select someone, everyone may VOTE: END DAY. If a majority is reached before they select the next person, they get lynched. The last person can only vote people who have the most number of votes. Plurality lynch.
JailIn Jail I, everyone selects two people. The nightkill's targets will be gladiated the following day.
CAUGHTThe Mafia must select a member who isn't the nightkill target to get caught and die. The last member of the mafia cannot get caught, but that will force them to pick four people who aren't the nightkill that night to be revealed as town.
Disrupted CommunicationsThe Mafia chat is locked. The list is used for the nightkills.
LYLO:Locked VotesIf it is LYLO, or the last day, votes are final(can't be changed) for that day.(2 mafia Day 5 or 1 Mafia Day 6 is always LYLO)

The Town wins if they eliminate all mafia or nothing can stop that from happening.
The Mafia wins if they gain the majority of votes, if nothing can stop that from happening or if a member of the Mafia survives until Night 6(because of No Lynch)

Spoiler: callforjudgement
In post 58, callforjudgement wrote:
Ebb and Flow
  • 4 Mafia Goons
  • 11 Vanilla Townies
  • Normal day/night, lynch, etc. mechanics, except that scum nightkills are compulsive (town may no-lynch if they wish)
  • If town lynches scum on an
    odd-numbered
    day, scum must sacrifice one of their own the following night (although they still get a nightkill, in addition to the sacrifice)
  • Lynching scum on an even-numbered day does not have anything special about it

Inspired by White Flag, Red Flag and Desperation Day: days 1, 3, and 5 are all important (but lynching scum is still beneficial on days 2, 4, and 6).

Assuming I haven't messed my calculations up, EV is 38.98% to town, which seems about right for this mechanic.

In post 60, popsofctown wrote:
The Giver mafia12:3
Starting night one, each night the mafia distribute the "potential" roles to each town aligned player. The recipient doesn't learn their potential role. When there are not enough players for the roles, the bottommost roles are omitted:
  • Parity Cop
    Loyal Neighborizer
    Sane Cop
    Jailkeeper
    Watcher
    Roleblocker
    Friendly Neighbor
    Tracker
    Neighborizer
    Rolecop
    Mailman
    Fruit Vendor
Each day, after the lynch is decided, the town makes a plurality vote on a player to crown. If that player is town, the player is bulletproof for one night and can use their potential role for one night, and they can never be crowned again for the rest of the game. If that player is mafia, that player selects any one role from the full list to use for that one night and gains a 1-shot lynchproof.

Spoiler: Gammagooey
In post 68, Gammagooey wrote:Personally I'd want to keep the setup relatively simple and understandable, and not include a cop that can largely eliminate how much one player/team's effort into the game matters by giving the town a 100% unquestionable alignment check. 1-shot cop could maybe be fine but even then I'd prefer alternative roles than that to include.

My two suggestions:
Modified Tit for Tat

1 Town 2-shot Vigilante
1 Town Jailkeeper
1 Town Backup Rolecop (Becomes Rolecop once the Mafia Rolecop dies, returns vanilla on VTs and the Mafia Goon, full role on everyone else)
9 Vanilla Townies

1 Mafia Rolecop
1 Mafia Backup Jailkeeper (Becomes Jailkeeper once the Town Jailkeeper dies)
1 Mafia Goon

It's probably a little swingier than I'd like but it's fairly simple and gives the Mafia a big incentive to keep the Rolecop alive and find and eliminate town power roles in a fairly simple Mafia game.

Spoiler: Gammagooey
In post 68, Gammagooey wrote:
Modified Pick your Poison
(mostly stolen from Patrick's version here with a few changes: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14723)
Special Rules

The setup in this game is semi-open. There are only two factions: a three person mafia v a twelve person town. Initially you will receive one of the following PMs:
Mafia wrote:You are a part of the mafia, along with Y and Z. Your organisation would like to take over the town, but a direct assault is out of the question; look how many of them there are! Instead you operate in secrecy, attempting to turn the town against itself before they can weed out and kill your entire family. You can talk to your partners at any point in the game, and at night you may choose to send one of your number to kill someone in the town. You've also sabotaged some of the town's resources; but you'll have to decide what poweroles they have left before the game starts. You have 96 hours to talk pregame to decide on three town poweroles; see the third post for more details. Please use this quicktopic for all mafia communication: XXXXX.

You win when the town no longer has the majority, regardless of what roles are still alive.

Townsperson wrote:You are a townsperson. You've taken a vow to protect your town and destroy the mafia terrorising it, even if your own life is lost in the process. Of course, that would be alot easier if you knew where to look. You may well have some useful ability, but you'll have to wait until day 0 starts to find out.

You win when the mafia has been eliminated.
During the pregame stage, the mafia have a maximum of 96 hours as a group to decide on three town poweroles, from the list given below. Doubling up on the same role is allowed, but not tripling.
Weak Doctor wrote:You are a weak doctor. Every night you
must
send me the name of a player to protect; all nightkills against them that night will fail. If you protect a member of the mafia, they will kill you without a shadow of a doubt. Note that even doc protection would not save you in this scenario.
Jailkeeper wrote:You are a jailkeeper. Each night you can choose to jail someone if you so wish; they will be made immune to all kills that night, and will also be roleblocked.
Tracker wrote:You are a tracker. Each night you can send me the name of a player you wish to follow; I'll tell you whether or not they took a night-action, and if they did, I'll also tell you who they targetted.
Hider wrote:You are a hider. Each night you may choose to hide with someone if you so wish. Any nightkills targetted directly at you will fail, but if the person you're hiding with is killed, you will die with them. If you hide with a member of the mafia, they will kill you without a shadow of a doubt. Note that even doc protection would not save you in this scenario.
3-shot Vigilante wrote:You are a 3-shot vigilante. Why stand by passively when you just happen to own a gun? Each night you may choose to kill another player if you wish. You have 3 shots, but can only use one per night.
When the mafia have chosen, the poweroles are immediately distributed randomly to three town players. Then day 0 begins. During the day 0, everyone has to vote for two perks to give the mafia, from the following list:
Day Rolecop wrote:You are a day rolecop. Every day you can send me the name of a player and I'll tell you their role. Note that twilight is too late to send me a choice.
3-shot Roleblocker wrote:You are a roleblocker with 3 shots. On any night you may roleblock another player, preventing them from taking any action that night. If you roleblock a powerole, they will show up to a tracker as not having gone anywhere.
1-shot Janitor wrote:You are a one shot janitor. Once in the game, during the day, you can ask me to cover up the role of the player lynched that day; they will show up as ???? for the rest of the game. Twilight is too late to send me a choice. Note that you can cover up your own alignment in this way.
Assassin wrote:You are an assassin, and you have the power to perform two extra nightkills, on top of the normal mafia kill. Unfortunately, there are two restrictions:
(1) You can't use an extra kill if it could potentially end the game with an immediate mafia win.
(2) Your kills only work on town poweroles. If a kill goes through on a vanilla townie, it fizzles and you don't get it again. If a kill fails for some other reason, you do get to try it again.
During day 0, you can vote and unvote as normal, except that you have two votes, since you're giving the mafia two perks. You can't put both your votes on the same perk. Once both perks are chosen, the game starts straight away with day 1, and continues as a normal game. During the first 24 hours of day 1, the mafia have to choose which of their members gets which perk and which two stay as goons. No lynch can occur during the first 24 hours, not that that would ever happen anyway with so many seasoned players.

Clarifications
(list may grow if people ask me questions)
  1. Two hiders hiding with each other makes them both unightkillable, assuming no roleblocking inteference.
  2. Two jailkeepers jailing each other doesn't protect either, and if either were tracked they would show as going nowhere.
  3. A mafia member can't kill and use their night action on the same Night.
  4. An assassin can't use both extra kills on the same Night.
  5. Tracker is the only role that gets told if it was blocked from performing its action.
  6. An assassin always knows how many shots it has left to try.
  7. A janitor does receive their shot back if No Lynch occurs on the Day they use it.
  8. A janitor may retract their shot anytime before Lynch happens.

Spoiler: Not Known 15
In post 73, Not Known 15 wrote:
Messed Up Setup 2.011 Vanilla Townies
4 Mafia Goons
The Mafia does have a nightkill, but it is compulsive(they have to submit a list of targets to kill if they are not avaliable at the start of the game, and can change it at any time in the night chat if it is open)
Instead of power roles, this game has events(to make it most fun for all....)
The Mafia does have daytalk, and night talk, sometimes...
Event tableEvent 1Event 2Event 3
Day 1
Night 1Judgement IPopcorn IEscape I
Day 2Popcorn IIDisrupted Communications
Night 2Jail IDisrupted Communications
Day 3Jail II
Night 3Escape IIPopcorn I
Day 4Disrupted CommunicationsPopcorn II
Night 4Disrupted Communications
Day 5LYLO:Locked Votes
Night 5Judgement II
Day 6LYLO:Locked VotesFINAL VOTE

EventDescription
JudgementIn the first phase, everyone submits a person. In the second phase, if the person selected by the Nightkill of Judgement I was or is a member of the Mafia, the Mafia must gladiate someone.
PopcornAt night the Mafia selects the first person to vote next day. The next day, that person selects both a vote to lock in and a person to do the same next. If anyone takes more than 48 hours to select someone, everyone may VOTE: END DAY. If a majority is reached before they select the next person, they get lynched. The last person can only vote people who have the most number of votes. Plurality lynch.
JailIn Jail I, everyone selects two people. The nightkill's targets will be gladiated the following day.
EscapeThe Mafia can remove a mafia member who isn't the nightkill target from the game(by majority vote) during Escape I. During Escape II they can remove up to two mafia members who aren't the nightkill(by majority vote). If only one mafia member escaped during both phases, after Escape II the four townies not being the nightkill target who are at the bottom of the list of targets gain public IC status. If no member of the Mafia escapes during these phases, they lose the game.
Disrupted CommunicationsThe Mafia chat is locked. The list is used for the nightkills.
LYLO:Locked VotesIf it is LYLO, or the last day, votes are final(can't be changed) for that day.(2 mafia Day 5 or 1 Mafia Day 6 is always LYLO)

The Town wins if they eliminate all mafia or nothing can stop that from happening.
The Mafia wins if they gain the majority of votes, if nothing can stop that from happening or if a member of the Mafia survives until Night 6(because of No Lynch)

Spoiler: OkaPoka
In post 86, OkaPoka wrote:
8-Balled Districts
15 players, Nightstart

4 Mafia Goons

11 Town Citizens

Mafia by default do not have a nightkill, but they have a compulsive "redistrict" and must choose one of the districts to 8-ball before each day phase. If they fail to submit a district, a district will be drawn automatically. There must be n+1 districts drawn, where n is equivalent to number of Mafia aligned players are alive and these districts must be drawn after the consideration of the nightkilled target. The difference between the number of living players of the largest district and smallest district may be no greater than 1.

They get a nightkill if the 8balled district is chosen to be killed, oh yeah you lynch districts btw.

Also the 8-ball will be publicly revealed at the end of the day no matter what. (4v11 w conditional nightkills seems scumsided, but idk, balance this)

[.spoiler=Creating the setup:]First, roll your players using some random number generator site, top four players will be assigned to mafia alignment.
Second, roll all your players with 1 "blanks." Then assign the players and the blanks using linear indexing into a 4x4 matrix.
(basically you have your players and blanks sorted in an order with blanks, then you use this order to assign them into the matrix. You have 16 spots, so the matrix spots would look like
1 5 09 13
2 6 10 14
3 7 11 15
4 8 12 16

Each position including blank will be considered a "cell"[.spoiler]These placements are to be public at all times and will remain unchanged.
[.spoiler=District drawing rules]This has to happen every night, otherwise a district will be auto drawn.
You may assign as many "cells" to one district as you would like, as long as you follow the existing rules of district drawing rules.
(There must be n+1 districts drawn, where n is equivalent to number of Mafia aligned players are alive and these districts must be drawn after the consideration of the nightkilled target. The difference between the number of living players of the largest district and smallest district may be no greater than 1.)
The cells must be adjacent to each other to be considered a district, no diagonal touching. Each cell must be in a proper district to have a functional proposal.

You can submit your proposal graphically or using text, to submit it thru text you can say something like: (Let's just say 16 is blank for convenience), you need 5 districts of 3 players at start.
1 5
09 13

11 15

8 12
credit to pops[.spoiler]

[.spoiler=Autodrawing a district]Start from cell 1, then include as many cells as you can going towards the right. If you fill up at any point thats when the next district starts. If you do not fill up, then draw all the way down, then to the left, then up...
You should get a spiral shape thingy in the end as your "path"
Largest districts first, smallest last. If you have 5 town and 2 scum, that's three districts and the sizes must be 3 2 2, so first district must contain 3 living players and next contain 2 ...[.spoiler]

Spoiler: RadiantCowbells
In post 141, Something_Smart wrote:
RC's Thunder
3 Mafia Goons

Town Odd-Night Cop
Town Jailkeeper
Macho Townie
9 Vanilla Townies

Spoiler: Volpe
In post 128, Volpe14 wrote:
The Four Kingdoms

11 Town Monarchists

4 Mafia Monarchists

The game phases always consist of Day, Twilight and Night.

On days there's always a standard lynch by majority.

On Odd-number Twilight, a
Commander
is chosen by majority votes. The Commander during the night following their twilight election will select one player to nightkill. Only during Night 1, the Commander is bulletproof and an invalid target for mafia factional kill.

On Even-number Twilight, a
Monarch
is chosen by majority votes. The elected Monarch, if town, turns into an
Deathproof Innocent Child
. If mafia, leaves the game. Regardless of alignment, an elected Monarch isn't a valid option in lynches or nightkills.

On Nights, mafia must compulsively choose a valid factional nightkill target, and if there's a elected commander, he also must compulsively choose a valid kill. Failure to do so will randomize the targets.

Once an mafioso is
lynched
, they must in their private topics compulsively elect a
Mafia Duke
, that if
lynched
causes town to immediately win the game. While also electing one
Mafia Duke Backup
, that will succeed the Duke title if the original Duke is elected as a monarch. One elected
Mafia Duke
is also revealed to have been the Duke before election, but the
Mafia Duke Backup
isn't revealed as a Duke Backup if lynched or elected.

Once an Town Monarch is elected, during the night following their election they must compulsively select two players as
Knights
. The two chosen Knights will be added into a Neighborhood with the chooser Town Monarch in it by the start of the next day phase. The Knighted players will not suffer a change in their original roles.

Town wins the game if they either: elect 3 Townies as Monarchs, kill 3 Mafiosos by any means or lynch the Mafia Duke. (Mafioso leaving isn't considered as killed for this win con purpose).

Mafia wins the game if they either: elect 2 Mafiosos as Monarchs or reach parity with town.

One mafioso can't target another mafioso with their
factional nightkill
. However, this doesn't apply to a mafioso elected Commander, that is able to nightkill partners with the Commander's ability .

Anything failing to reach majority decision will be decided by plurality or randomized, depending on the case.

Regardless, no one can self-target their abilities.

In post 131, popsofctown wrote:
15p dance12
Vanilla Townies

Mafia Goons

Day Zero, there is a single lynch. Night Zero, the mafia equally divides all the players in the game into ladies and gentleman.

Starting with Day One, a lady may post a bolded proposal to a gentleman for him to dance with her. If the gentleman bolds an acceptance, the two players become lovers and receive a PT. During Day One, players can't vote or be voted unless they are lovers.
There are three lynches each day. At night, the mafia kill one lover, and may additionally kill any number of players who are not lovers. The first four players to become lovers are immune to the nightkill.

Spoiler: Ircher
In post 132, Ircher wrote:
Mafia Exam

15 Players: 11 Town, 4 Mafia

Daytalk is allowed and standard lynch and night kill mechanics apply
with the exception that "No Lynch" is not a valid vote.
Added in version 2.0.

Each night, every town player must submit a list to the mod of who they believe is scum. Players may include as many names as they like (including all of them), but they must include at least as many names as there are scum remaining. At the start of the following day, each player will receive back a percentage from the moderator indicating how accurate their guess was. The person who scores highest is rendered bulletproof the following night; however, if there is a tie for highest, no one becomes bulletproof.

For instance, suppose the remaining players are Alex, Bob, Charles, Diana, Esther, Fiona, and Giles. Of those seven players, Alex and Fiona are scum. Suppose Bob guesses that Alex, Diana, and Esther are scum. Then Bob will receive "33% correct" back at daybreak since 1/3 of his guesses is correct.
Deleted in version 2.0.

At the end of each day until only one scum remains, every town player will receive a pm from the moderator noting the percentage of their votes that were on scum during the day. The town player(s) with the lowest percentage die at the end of the night while the town player(s) with the highest percentage are rendered bulletproof that night. (Note that voting the same person twice in a row does not count. If Alex, Bob, Charles, Diana, and Esther are playing and Alex and Bob are scum and Charles votes Alex --> Diana --> Alex --> Alex --> Diana, then Charles should get back 50% since the fourth vote shouldn't be counted.) Added in version 2.0
---
Maybe this setup is too swingy, but I think it leads to an interesting game. I don't think there is a breaking strategy as scum can fakeclaim even if someone receives 100% back. I could also drop the bulletproof reward for being the most accurate.

Edit: Changed it to be based on votes since flips broke the previous version of the setup. The elimination of the player(s) with the lowest percentage disincentives people from voting only a few times. This also reduces the odds of someone receiving 100%.

Spoiler: gobbledygook
In post 135, gobbledygook wrote:
Next Stop11:4

24 hour Pre-game phase where the mafia team select two teammates to be
Consigliere
and
Godfather
-
Consigliere
Day 1 Neighborhood will be revealed to contain Consigliere
-
Godfather
last mafia allowed to leave, mafia immediately lose if Godfather is lynched

Day 1 will be 14 days, broken up into two 7-day sections
- 1st 7-day section game will broken up into 5 3-person neighborhoods. Neighborhoods are completely random except that Consigliere must be with two townies
- At the end of this 7-day section, the Consigliere's neighborhood will be revealed. This neighborhood will also be revealed as containing the Consigliere
- 2nd 7-day section is a regular day ending with a lynch

If mafia lynched Day 1, mafia get 2 nightkills on N1. Start to leave on N2
If town lynched Day 1, mafia get 1 nightkill on N1 and 1 leave on N1.

No lynches are not allowed, if a majority has not been reached at any point in the day phase, the day will end with plurality lynch.
Mafia can leave every other night. Therefore, if Mafia are lynched Day 1, they will be able to leave N2, N4, N6. If town are lynched Day 1, they can leave N1, N3, N5.

Wincondition for mafia is Godfather must leave, or nothing can prevent the same.
Wincondition for town is lynch two mafia, or lynch the Godfather.

I like the fact that mafia have a lot of choice in how to play this game starting in pre-game. I also like how this messes with the race to the bottom that we commonly see in games like the Flags and other mostly vanilla games.

I have no idea if this is balanced, but I think we should probably aim for something that is 30-40% winnable for town seeing as the Team Mafia mechanic is inherently townsided.

Spoiler: Farkran
In post 147, Farkran wrote:Hello, decided to try this because it sounded fun while i was thinking about it

YOU SHALL NOT ACT
2 Mafia Multitasking Roleblocker
1 Mafia JOAT (Roleblocker, Rolestopper, Rolecop, Tracker) all 1-shot

1 Town Roleblocker
1 Town Doctor
1 Town Vanilla Cop
1 Town Fruit Vendor
1 Universal Backup
7 Vanilla Townies

Mafia has Daytalk
Mafia roleblock take precedence over Town roleblock
Mafia rolestop does not block kills

Heavily PR loaded setup to encourage PR hunting by scum and nk/rb dodging by town. Massclaim is very dangerous.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:41 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

15 players?

Wait are you running a large!?!? :O
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:51 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Are players allowed to try to submit?

I have little confidence that anything I try will make it, since I have very little experience with this particular form of design, but if I can try I would like to maybe see if I can strike the flint if my mind and create a spark of inspiration.
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:56 pm

Post by Micc »

In post 2, Gamma Emerald wrote:Are players allowed to try to submit?
Yes
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:50 pm

Post by Alisae »

not really a set up suggestion because this is a 13p setup, but a modified version of this would be fun to see.
GTKAS
| here.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:29 am

Post by Something_Smart »

Baton Pa- nah, can't even say it with a straight face. :lol:
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:32 am

I feel like it would be a good idea to adapt an open setup that's been run and enjoyed many times rather than creating something completely out of the blue.

C9++ and Stack the Deck are both candidates for such an adaptation.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:35 am

Post by Alisae »

as a player I would love to play in a setup with some sort of income mechanic.
GTKAS
| here.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:38 am

Post by Alisae »

if we want a super standard setup, cop with a n0 random inno check and like a double lynch d1
if we want an open setup that is truely special like how Micc describes in the op, then trying to design something with an income mechanic is going to give off that special feeling.
GTKAS
| here.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:50 am

In post 8, Alisae wrote:if we want a super standard setup, cop with a n0 random inno check and like a double lynch d1
Pretty sure that would fail the swing criterion. Some variant of frenemies would probably be better but still prone to one side tanking.
if we want an open setup that is truely special like how Micc describes in the op, then trying to design something with an income mechanic is going to give off that special feeling.
My only concern is that a setup like this would be very hard to balance, and I probably wouldn't feel good about it never having been tested (and the setup it was inspired by only being played a few times).

It might be feasible to put this together quickly and run it as a blitz before the challenge deadline; I would be down to help design and co-mod but I'd need a very active co-mod because I can't do blitzes on my own.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:53 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 9, Something_Smart wrote:Pretty sure that would fail the swing criterion.
I mean it essentially is a modified 13cop setup and since the play for that setup is really standardized, its not that swingy. I only added the double day to make it seem closer to the 13p setup
GTKAS
| here.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:55 am

Post by Alisae »

Like with hypoclaiming that setup isn’t as swingy as you think it is, and if that were the setup that would be used, hypoclaiming is a thing you should definitely expect to see.
GTKAS
| here.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:04 am

If town can lose 100% of its power in one night, that's too swingy.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:06 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Odd-Night Cop
Jailkeeper
Named Townie
VT*9

Mafia Goon*3
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:09 am

Macho townie would probably be better so they can't claim and monopolize the game.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:01 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

I'm so tired I didn't even consider that

Seems like a good idea
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:22 am

Post by TemporalLich »

Are independent third parties (e.g.
Survivor
Unjester) allowed or does this challenge only accept standard alignment setups?

Also, are semi-opens allowed? (I assume yes for this one)
time will end
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:22 am

Post by Micc »

In post 16, TemporalLich wrote:Are independent third parties (e.g.
Survivor
Unjester) allowed or does this challenge only accept standard alignment setups?

Also, are semi-opens allowed? (I assume yes for this one)
Please stick to standard two alignment setups with no third party. Semi-open is acceptable, but the individual setups should be well defined and balanced. NewD3 being a good example and Great Idea being a bad example.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:57 am

Post by TemporalLich »

Here's an attempt at a setup with some flavor-mechanics.

Standard alignment means no multiball chaos or WIFOM involving third parties that are mostly just motivated to townside (damn I wanted a singleball Unjester setup), and low swing means stuff like smalltown and ++ setups are out...

Even though this isn't a semi-open, I am still feeling this setup is innovative and new while still fitting the challenge conditions (15p, standard alignment, scum factional nightkill, semi-balance, low swing).

A Number 15 Large With Extra Flavor
15 players

1 Mafia 1-shot Double Neighborizer
1 Mafia 1-shot Role Cop

1 Mafia Mailman

2 Town Masons

1 Town Mailman

(during pregame chooses role flavor for everyone on the playerlist. Flavoring a Town Mason "Dragon" causes them to flip as Dragon, Town Mason)
8 Vanilla Townies

All PTs have daytalk.
time will end
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:03 am

The double neighborizer is just gonna be lynched if they ever use their power...
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:05 am

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 19, Something_Smart wrote:The double neighborizer is just gonna be lynched if they ever use their power...
That's my attempt at including a scum neighborizer in a setup without having a town equivalent...

1-shot double means they act in only one night, but add two people to the neighborhood...
Last edited by TemporalLich on Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
time will end
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:06 am

But what's the point of a role that you can never use?
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:07 am

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 21, Something_Smart wrote:But what's the point of a role that you can never use?
That's basically a named mafioso then, which does nothing for the mafia (especially considering a Goon would work just fine!).
time will end
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:20 am

Post by TemporalLich »

anyway my suggestion is to replace the 1-shot double neighborizer with a 1-shot role reflavorer (night action, changes target's role flavor, something zero-swing but still adding a small amount of power to the scum) and to clarify there is a 30 character limit on role flavor.

the masons might be iffy on swing terms though but I prefer them to a 1-shot cop tbh. I might consider removing them for balancing reasons though.
time will end
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:18 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Doctor Lonely

15 players

1 Mafia Rolecop Neighbor
2 Mafia Neighbors

1 Town Indecisive Doctor
1 Town Phone Operator Neighbor
10 Town Neighbors

• Mafia have daytalk.
  • Every neighborhood has two neighbors.
  • Phone Operator checks a player each night and learns the identity of their neighbor. No result when targeting the Doctor or a player with a dead neighbor.
  • Every neighborhood with a Mafia neighbor has a Town neighbor.
  • Phone Operator could be paired with a Mafia Neighbor.
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”