December/January Title Event: Secret Santa Titles!

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

December/January Title Event: Secret Santa Titles!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:37 pm

Post by mastina »

This is the title event thread for December/January.
To make a normal nomination using the usual standard title nomination metrics, go here.
To discuss events, go here.

Secret Santa Title Edition:

Titles are Gifts!

This was a commonly suggested idea for a title event, and I agreed it was a good idea. I did my best to implement the process which I thought would be best for the event, and this is what I came up with.

The event is simple.
From December 1st until December 31st, users may sign up to participate in this event by typing "/in".
(expired on 2020-01-01 04:37:39)
On January 1st, everyone who /inned for the event, will be randomly assigned one person who also /inned to the event, who they are to craft a title for.
When creating a title, it is expected that you put the most effort possible into making the best title you possibly can for the user
--these titles are meant to be a GIFT to them, so put some thought into your gift. Don't half-ass it; put your all into trying to title the person.
You will have two weeks, until the end of January 14th, to assign a user a title.
By default, I will specify that you were the one who titled them, and if you include any reasoning in your title, I will by default provide it. You may, however, opt to gift anonymously, and/or opt to not provide your reasoning for the gifted title.
On January 15th, I will title everyone who participated with their gifted titles, sending any messages accompanying the titles (see above).
These titles may be kept for as long as the user receiving them wishes--they could be permanent!
So to stress again--when you are assigned a scummer to title, give careful thought to it and do your best to give them something which they will want.

Users who don't wish to receive a title, but who wish to gift one, may opt to sign up as a /replacement, as some people will inevitably flake on giving out their title gifts.
If you wish to give multiple title gifts, you may both /in and /replacement, and/or /replacement x(times you want to gift). This won't increase the odds of you being selected if someone inevitably fails to deliver on their title, but it will mean there's a chance you could be called on the number of times you specified.

For this event, I am going to stress:
This is not an event where you can get a title for any account.

You may only /in for this under one account--and when you /in on an alt, you MUST publicly disclose your main. (If you've switched main accounts, it'd also help to specify past accounts which used to be your main, e.g. if I /inned, I'd specify I was also mastin2 and Mastin even though mastina is my main.) So, choose who you want to participate on wisely and know that it will not be allowed to keep your alt's identity secret; the person who is assigned to title you would need to know that information anyway.

Now let me reiterate this with some ground rules:
-
Titles must follow site rules
It doesn't matter if both you, and who you're gifting, think the title of 'fuckwad' is a term of endearment. A title like that would be in violation of site rules, so even if I did make that title, it would be promptly and immediately removed by a red skittle because it's a violation of site rules.
-
Titles should not be insulting to the user
It doesn't matter if you think the term 'fuckwad' is a term of endearment, it is a fairly strong bet that the person who you're titling would take the title as an insult. Keep titles clean.
-
Titles cannot refer to an ongoing game
It doesn't matter if it's a game that only you would get, or only the user being gifted would get, it's still not allowed to refer to an ongoing game. If the game's ongoing during January, tough luck; you'll have to think of something else to title off of (and after the game ends, if it's that important to you, you can always propose your original idea that was referring to an ongoing game, in the normal title fairy thread once it's no longer ongoing!).

And most of all:
The spirit of this event is in GIVING titles, not in receiving them.

If you don't think you'll have the ability to title someone in January, this is not the event for you. Please, for the sake of reducing my workload, for the sake of requiring less volunteers, for the sake of the person who you'd be titling, don't sign up if you can't follow through. I get it, life circumstances change, you could think you can do it now and then later learn you can't, that's why I'll be taking /replacements. I won't refuse to hand you your title someone else gifted you, just because you can't deliver on your gift. But please be considerate to everyone who is participating in the event and try to evaluate your capabilities honestly.

Ask yourself: if you were assigned someone who you utterly hate, as the person to title--would you be able to give them an actually good, serious, thoughtful title as a gift? One which they would appreciate and accept? If the answer isn't 'yes',
this isn't the event for you
. You could be asked to title ANYONE. Even someone you loathe, even someone you would normally never want to title, even someone who you think doesn't deserve a title. You're still expected to deliver them a thoughtful, actual, sincere, genuine gift in the form of a serious title.

Ask yourself: if you were assigned someone who was a complete and total stranger, as the person to title--would you be able to give them an actually good, serious, thoughtful title as a gift? One which they would appreciate and accept? If the answer isn't 'yes',
this isn't the event for you
. You could be asked to title ANYONE. Even someone who has been on-site for as little as a month, even someone who has been gone from the site for years, and most likely, someone you haven't interacted with at all or very little.

The chances of you being asked to title someone you have the experience to call upon to title, are much lower than the chances of you being asked to title someone you lack the good experience to title--so please, for the sake of the person you are titling, only /in to this event if you think that
regardless of who you are assigned, you can give them a good title

I want to reiterate once more:
The spirit of this event is
NOT
"Oh if I /in to this event, I'll get a free title!"

If you want to /in to this event to get a free title, then entitlement is probably right up your alley--it's scheduled to begin April 1st, 2020! You can wait that long to get a free title which requires no real work from you, right?
Or if you want to /in to an event to get a title that you don't have to design, you can wait until July 1st, 2020, for Title Troll, the title event scheduled to begin then! I literally give you a free title there, and during both events, like this one, you have the very real chance of them being permanent titles you keep!
If you're wanting a free title, but don't want to put in the work--DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS EVENT! Please, be honest with yourself.
The spirit of this event is in the spirit of giving, not in the spirit of receiving.

I won't be kicking people out of the event because I think they're being disingenuous. So this is something that I am asking you to self-enforce, self-regulate, self-analyze. If you think you can deliver a good gift to title any given scummer, then yes! You can sign up! But if you're just looking to get a free title and don't really want to put in the work to title someone...please don't.

With that said, let's get the event started!
Participants:

SleepyKrew - Snarknado (from MewThree)
(Title changed from "Did His Job")

Keychain - Chained / Grounded (given) (from chennisden)
Creature - Solve This Game (from RadiantCowbells)
(Titled changed from "Of Habit")

Pink Ball - Quarrel of Laughs (from McMenno)
(Title changed from "The Power Of Love")

Annadog40 - Owl of Sitechat / Owl of the Chat / Owl of the Night / Owl of the Night Chat (given) / Owl of Minerva (from Creature)
(Title changed from "Waiting in the Sky")

RadiantCowbells - Solid Criminal (from Annadog40)
(Title changed from "Smooth Criminal")

Wooper (alt of the worst) - Unaware (from Pink Ball)
Gamma Emerald - Straight, not blind (given) / Coming to a GameStop near you! / Pokemon: Chernobyl (from Saladman27)
McMenno - One For Aren't-We-All (from Gamma Emerald)
chennisden - Macho Pichu (from SleepyKrew)
Saladman27 - Green Light (from Keychain)
MewThree (alt of vonflare) - I am not a cat! (from Chemist1422)
Chemist1422 - Chesto berry (from Wooper)

Replacements:

Aristophanes
Enter
Jingle
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:42 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

/in
To be clear: quack
Keychain
Keychain
she/her
Mafia Scum
Keychain
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:07 am

Post by Keychain »

/in, getting to give someone a title sounds fun
You're under no obligation to be the same person you were 5 minutes ago.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:06 am

Post by Aristophanes »

A Secret Fairy event? That's super cool :)

/replacement
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:07 am

Post by Creature »

/in

My title is pretty okay but I want to see if I can be creative
Sigh
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:58 am

Post by Pink Ball »

/in
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:03 am

Post by Pine »

/in
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:03 am

Post by Annadog40 »

/in
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:10 am

Post by Pink Ball »

@mastina can we give more than one title to our assigned player? So they get to chose from a pool of titles
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:04 am

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 8, Pink Ball wrote:@mastina can we give more than one title to our assigned player? So they get to chose from a pool of titles
Make sure you give them gift receipts
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:12 am

Post by Enter »

/replacement
Last edited by Enter on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
is cancelled. Apologies to all who signed up.[/color]
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:17 am

Post by Maruchan »

/in
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:24 am

Post by mastina »

In post 8, Pink Ball wrote:@mastina can we give more than one title to our assigned player? So they get to chose from a pool of titles
I feel like that is within the spirit of the event (there's a minimum requirement of one gift but no maximum on giving gifts!), so yes, I'll allow you to submit multiple titles.

If you do submit multiple titles, I'll list them all for the recipient and give the recipient the INITIAL title of whichever title you listed first (unless you specify otherwise), and inform them that they can switch to any of the alternatives. (Probably within a limited timeframe tho. Like, if you give five titles for a user, and they decide to alternate between them all for months, even years…seems a little bit more work than I'd want. So I'd probably cap out their choice time to like, a month or two to decide on their favorite of your titles.)

Seem fair? (Am of course open to feedback especially on "on the fly" decisions like this.)
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:42 am

Post by Jingle »

I notice that there is no mention of not telling the person you got their name, and assume that is an oversight.

Is there some method by which a person can request not to be paired with a specific other person? I know there are some legitimate beefs on site and much as I’d prefer it not be necessary, a private blacklist for when you make pairings might make this run more smoothly.

Also, /replace for now but I might make this an /in.
This is a Parachute.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:39 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

/in
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Wooper
Wooper
Unaware
Wooper
Unaware
Unaware

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:24 am

Post by Wooper »

/in, alt of the worst
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:26 pm

Post by Pink Ball »

In post 15, Wooper wrote:/in, alt of the worst
You know I'm giving you Ric Flair as an option if I get to be your secret santa, right?
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:31 pm

Post by gobbledygook »

/in
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:23 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

/in emphatically
Also mastina are you gonna throw your own hat in the ring or no?
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Wooper
Wooper
Unaware
Wooper
Unaware
Unaware

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:40 am

Post by Wooper »

oh for the record despite the grey area of organisers getting involved in Secret Santas in general, I v much thing Mastina should get involved
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:24 pm

Post by McMenno »

/in
mafiascum is on life support
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:38 pm

Post by Pine »

You should /in as the worst too, and mastina can "accidentally" or "randomly" assign you to yourself bilaterally
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:45 pm

Post by chennisden »

/in
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:47 pm

Post by chennisden »

In post 19, Wooper wrote:oh for the record despite the grey area of organisers getting involved in Secret Santas in general, I v much thing Mastina should get involved
nth
Wooper
Wooper
Unaware
Wooper
Unaware
Unaware

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:25 pm

Post by Wooper »

In post 21, Pine wrote:
You should /in as the worst too, and mastina can "accidentally" or "randomly" assign you to yourself bilaterally
/in as the worst too!!

Return to “Player Titles”