Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3500 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:42 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 3498, vonflare wrote:to clarify, your Mage Wars is basic Mage Wars and not Mage Wars: Arena?

also, interested in Quarriors. What shape are the components/cards in?
It came out before Arena was a thing. I *think* it's just the same base game but they renamed it later.
green shirt thursdays
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #3501 (ISO) » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:11 pm

Post by vonflare »

There are slight differences but yes they are essentially the same
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #3502 (ISO) » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:05 pm

Post by Vi »

Argent: The Consortium - 5 (Mannheim) to 4 (Trias) to 2 (Jesca, me) to 1 (Lavanina)

I thought I knew how to play this game, but honestly I got humbled so badly this time around. It was a gala event with no scarcity of anything, plus the utter nonsense that is Golem Lab A (or whichever side has "1 Merit 1 Mana = Place a Temp Mage and Lock its Room"). My first three Marks were Research and two colors, and I rolled it so hard that I wound up boxed in. Supporters and Influence were distant dreams, and everyone else was (in some cases literally) locking down the rest. I managed to lose both Intelligence and Wisdom - to different people. Maybe now they'll learn that when I say I can't win, I mean it? Or maybe that's just an open invitation to pick off what they can from me. Utterly vicious game from all parties; I think I learned that I (still) can't ever dump Influence and that in wide-open setups like this I simply can't stop people from getting what they want, so much as outrace them.

But at least everyone acknowledged that no one is challenging me for the fanciest bank-shot turns. I mean, I had Staff B for the entire game, and picked up both Dazzle and Future Power. Actual mid-turn time loops.

I'm still on the fence about whether Festival of Masks is a silly module. It sure does make whoever takes the last turn each round very sad.

this game started at 20:30 or so and the post-postgame ended at like 02:15 how did this become my life
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3503 (ISO) » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:28 am

Post by chamber »

In post 3502, Vi wrote:this game started at 20:30 or so and the post-postgame ended at like 02:15 how did this become my life
This has been my biggest complaint with the game the few times I've played it, seems to take forever for the experience I get. But it's always been with newish players (myself included). Hearing that it still took you this long makes me never want to play it again.
Taking a break from the site.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #3504 (ISO) » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:31 am

Post by Vi »

In post 3503, chamber wrote:
In post 3502, Vi wrote:this game started at 20:30 or so and the post-postgame ended at like 02:15 how did this become my life
This has been my biggest complaint with the game the few times I've played it, seems to take forever for the experience I get. But it's always been with newish players (myself included). Hearing that it still took you this long makes me never want to play it again.
The game doesn't have to be this long, but this was a
particularly
elaborate randomly-generated monstrosity of a setup with a new player and two overthinky types. Also by "post-postgame" I mean "after half an hour of everyone reliving their joys and agonies from the game, armchairing everyone else's moves in retrospect, and then after two people left me and the other person kept talking for a while longer while I decided whether I was awake enough to drive across town".

...But it's still a commitment. This experience is basically all the anecdotal evidence anyone needs to get the hint that this is not something you pull out for an evening of gaming, unless you're one of those weird not-me people who doesn't associate the AM hours with daylight. This is something you play on a weekend maybe once a month, getting some good food beforehand and then settling in for the afternoon. I would hesitate to play this game with five people not just because there's an additional person who takes their time, but because that's compounded by how the pressure becomes even more crushing when one more person competes for the same total number of voters.

It's still less analysis paralysis than Five Tribes.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #3505 (ISO) » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:47 am

Post by popsofctown »

So it was a 3 hour game? That's not that long? Do I have more endurance than normal people or can I not do math across midnight? Maybe both.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #3506 (ISO) » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:53 am

Post by Vi »

In post 3505, popsofctown wrote:So it was a 3 hour game? That's not that long? Do I have more endurance than normal people or can I not do math across midnight? Maybe both.
The game took about five and a half hours. Still not as long as Twilight Imperium (although I'm told that is also a good game if you don't mind losing the whole day).
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3507 (ISO) » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:52 am

Post by PJ. »

If it's longer than 90 minutes, it's too long
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3508 (ISO) » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:24 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

We played Spirit Island last night. Hooooooly shit what a dense game
green shirt thursdays
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #3509 (ISO) » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:27 am

Post by Vi »

In post 3508, xRECKONERx wrote:We played Spirit Island last night. Hooooooly shit what a dense game
preach

but did you enjoy it
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3510 (ISO) » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:35 am

Post by shaft.ed »

got to play a lot of board games visiting the fam

Unfortunately, my nephew has a bit of a cheating problem. He was caught blatantly cheating during games of Quacks of Q and Whitehall Mysteries

I kinda liked Quacks, but the games we played were a bit to luck based for my tastes. A lot of times someone would draw almost every chip besides their whites while someone else would explode within about 5 or 6 pulls. Seemed the amount of setup and effort needed for what felt like a luck heavy game wasn't all that worth it. Also didn't like how people losing towards the end are pretty much forced to push it to the max that last two or three rounds, which 9 times out of 10 just makes them explode and then get spaced further back. I don't know if there would be a way to accelerate the game (we played all rounds with simulataneous bag draws because of the nephews aforementioned cheating).

I really liked Whitehall Mysteries. Fun game with a lot of pins and needles regardless of what side your playing on.

Niece also really enjoyed Kingdomino. She's still a bit young and has more compulsions about finishing her square or matching up tiles instead of optimizing for points. But it has a nice quick play speed and is challenging enough to keep the 'adults' interested

Push was also a great family/filler game. Would recommend if you're looking for a nice 3-6 player filler card game that is exceedingly easy to teach.

Also got a couple more playthroughs of Clank! in. This might be one of my top games currently, although I only have 3 plays on it. Really like the hybrid of board game and deck builder. ALso like how sometimes the game goes really fast because someone tries to get in and out really quick and trap everyone down below, and sometimes we all delve into the depths and pull out obscene point totals. Last play I got knocked out one space from the exit (from time out) and my brother got KO'd two spaces away (clank heavy deck). I still managed to win without the 20 point exit bonus.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3511 (ISO) » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:36 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 3508, xRECKONERx wrote:We played Spirit Island last night. Hooooooly shit what a dense game
I still haven't ventured into a game of Spirit Island with other people as I'm terrified of trying a playthrough with someone that isn't up for that kind of density
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3512 (ISO) » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:59 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

I did enjoy it. I crave playing it again. But I need to PREPARE my brain.

Funny enough, the other game I was gifted for my bday was fucking Food Chain Magnate. My brain gonna be doing a big hurt for the foreseeable future.
green shirt thursdays
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #3513 (ISO) » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:04 pm

Post by hiplop »

i really like dominion
third best scummer of all time
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #3514 (ISO) » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:01 pm

Post by vonflare »

yeah dominion is pretty great
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #3515 (ISO) » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:35 am

Post by Equinox »

In post 3507, PJ. wrote:If it's longer than 90 minutes, it's too long
any game shorter than 120 minutes does not feel like a game was played.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3516 (ISO) » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:54 am

Post by DeathNote »

Finally played Captain Sonar and I am in love.

We got the full 8 too which was awesome.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #3517 (ISO) » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:11 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 3515, Equinox wrote:
I want to play board games with Equinox!
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3518 (ISO) » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:16 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

why not both?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3519 (ISO) » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:21 pm

Post by zoraster »

Well boy howdy do I have a suggestion for a game to play again, Equinox!
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #3520 (ISO) » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:27 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 3510, shaft.ed wrote:Unfortunately, my nephew has a bit of a cheating problem. He was caught blatantly cheating during games of Quacks of Q and Whitehall Mysteries
wild
In post 3510, shaft.ed wrote:She's still a bit young and has more compulsions about finishing her square or matching up tiles instead of optimizing for points.
never heard of this game but this sounds like me tbh.
In post 3511, shaft.ed wrote:
I still haven't ventured into a game of Spirit Island with other people as I'm terrified of trying a playthrough with someone that isn't up for that kind of density
spirit island is so sick. do you normally play solo? i was thinking of trying the table top simulator for it solo
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3521 (ISO) » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:19 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

Past 120 minutes a game has to be very special to hold my attention.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3522 (ISO) » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:39 pm

Post by implosion »

Fun thing: i've decided to start tracking my board game plays this year. Bought a random app that seems to do the job nicely.

So far I've only played one game... five times... and it's terraforming mars :shifty:. Enjoying it more than I feel I ought to. The first time I played it, my reaction was more or less "this game seems somewhat fun but also probably really poorly designed??" and now i have the more nuanced opinion of thinking that No Pun Included's review of saying it's "fun, but not for the right reasons" is kind of right. But also it's really fun so. Got several expansions as well (prelude, alternate boards, colonies) which are all quite solid.

I did play a ton of different games the couple of weeks before the turn of the decade, though. Probably like 10-15 different games over those weeks, since friends and I were off school and I opted to have a rule for a while that we couldn't play any game twice.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #3523 (ISO) » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:52 am

Post by Vi »

In post 3522, implosion wrote:No Pun Included
this seems like the worst name for a commentator
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3524 (ISO) » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:59 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 3520, Errantparabola wrote:i was thinking of trying the table top simulator for it solo
the table top simulator is WAY better for solo

I started playing on the simulator while I was waiting for the game to arrive
I barely use the physical game because it takes up a lot of time and space for something that works fine on the PC

Return to “The Arcade”