You can tell if someone will replace out based on their name

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

You can tell if someone will replace out based on their name

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:20 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I've thought this kind of seemed like kind of maybe a trend and decided I would waste some time out of my life gathering enough data to feel like it's a statement you can say. Maybe someone else has done this before for mafiascum, I don't know. Inferences based on username are definitely not a novel concept in online gaming.
My hypothesis was usernames of newbies for which the last character is a digit are more likely to replace out than usernames for which this is not the case.
I looked at the player lists for all the newbie games going back to 1900.
If a slot was in the bottom 3 slots, it was ignored (that's where the SEs go). If the fourth to last or fifth to last slot were also marked SE, same treatment, entire row is ignored. If someone replaced into a newbie slot, I treated them as a newbie unless the mod marked their entrance SE, even in cases where I knew the player was SE. Science is about removing bias more than removing inaccuracy.

It would have been more tedious to count unique identities of players and I think if I did the correlation may have been even more dramatic, the same few ends-in-number players constituted a lot of the numbered completions, but that happens a lot for unnumbered players too, it might come out the same.
The results can be made a little more

Ends-in-alpha game completions: 320
Ends-in-alpha game replace-outs: 146
Ends-in-number game completions: 38
Ends-in-number game replace-outs: 36

Percentage of alpha players who end their involvement in a game by replacing out: 31.3%
Percentage of number players who end their involvement in a game by replacing out. 51.4%

Number players are responsible for 10.6% of game completions, but 19.8% of the replace-outs.

I don't have much reason for posting about this besides amusement and I have little to no idea why the trend trends this way. I guess it can be useful to predict a replace-out as scum but it's way less useful than the greeting tell someone did with data diving.

There are other name characteristics that might be correlated with replace-out rate or possibly other elements, like strength of play, and I would actually default to assuming other users besides myself with multi-word, not-camel-case names are a bit more likely to replace out and maybe a bit weaker than average, even though I don't replace out, and I'm massively weaker than average :dead: .
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (isolation #1) » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:04 pm

Post by popsofctown »

zoraster wouldn't ban me for making a bad thread would he :X

If I could figure out why the numbers players don't stay, it'd be helpful to decide which of my friends to recommend mafia to, or which market to target if I ever realize my third tequila shot fantasy of draining my savings to digitally advertise mafiascum for no gain.

I think there is some kind of underlying reason, but I am skeptical of chennisden's explanation.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (isolation #2) » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:38 pm

Post by popsofctown »

(1) is applicable in other environments but unlikely here. The number of new accounts that are "wow that simple English word wasn't taken?" is through the roof. So the possibilities are, they were forced to use the extra numbers in a different context with a more crowded namespace and have stuck with it for consistency (popsofctown is an AOL instant messenger name, which was a very popular service for a time, so that's my excuse, but I could have done far better), or they assumed mafiascum is far more popular than it is and didn't even attempt their preferred username with no numbers the first time before adding numbers.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #26 (isolation #3) » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:54 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Notice that the data showed that the number of people who register at all with a numbers name is vastly lower as well. So "the top 50 posters mostly don't have numbers" and "The last 50 MD thread creators mostly don't have numbers" isn't necessarily reflecting a retention difference because the users you're hoping to retain aren't distributed 50/50.

It's a hypothesis I'd also take but those seem like poor reasons.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #37 (isolation #4) » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:31 pm

Post by popsofctown »

my ctrl+F of MD isn't any stronger than yours, it was a thing. Also based only on newbie games. Don't think that thread's old enough to even be a proper necro yet.
"Well, I..."

Return to “Mafia Discussion”