Song Contest 143 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (isolation #0) » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:30 am

Post by toolenduso »

Probably should've posted this in the last contest, but for anybody who liked Moanin' (the jazz one), I wanted to note that that version of the song is not the original. The original appeared on Charles Mingus' 1960 album Blues & Roots. That version is slower, and since it's a combo instead of a big band, leans much more heavily on fewer instruments. I like the big band version more because of the energy it brings, but the original has one thing over it -- the big band version is polished and tight, all the instruments exactly on the beat for the entire song. The original version showcases, better than almost any other Mingus song, the magic he brought to the rhythm section -- instruments aren't exactly on the beat, but they know exactly where the beat is and they build around it. The result is a firm impression that the band is so good at what they do, and so comfortable playing together, that they can take the music wherever they want to go with it on a whim. Such is the spirit of jazz.

Coming off that, I somehow managed to lose my list of songs I was using to plan out my entries. The list was getting short anyway, and I was wondering if I was running out of music to show you guys. So I went looking, and realized I had forgotten all these bands and songs from when I was teenager and my musical tastes were...........let's say narrower. You guys are probably gonna hate a lot of it, starting with this one. Lol
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #78 (isolation #1) » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:01 pm

Post by toolenduso »

In post 68, Cyril wrote:I regularly get about a hundred albums a year
Anthony Fantano confirmed

best teeth in the game
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437

Return to “General Discussion”