Song Contest 143 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:54 pm

Post by Aurathebirb »

time to submit my fave
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #73 (isolation #1) » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:31 am

Post by Aurathebirb »

Well I know none of these artists and the profile pictures seem eclectic so high hopes for interesting discoveries
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #121 (isolation #2) » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:11 pm

Post by Aurathebirb »

(6/10) Croatia - Damjan Mravunac - I'm a fan of Talos Principle! This is definitely a solid track, love some cathedral music. Not sure it works as well on its own though, which is the main issue with game soundtrack music. Would put into a work playlist just to get surprised every so often

(2.5/10) Iceland - An Isolated Mind - Ew metal. Okay i dunno if I'm just not cranking this enough but its kind of sleepytime music until like 2 minutes in where I had to lower the volume cause my ears were telling me to stop. Appreciate the end a bit.

(4/10) San Marino - Itchyworms - Seems like a pretty average rock ballad, so will score it as such

(5/10) Spain - Ambitious Lovers - Feels like an 80s/90s sitcom theme is trying to break into my house. I can't actually complain to much its kind of alright. Solid new wave guitar playing.

(3/10) Sealand - Sirenia - Going for sort of a fantasy battle vibe here. Doesn't really work that well in my opinion, feels a bit off. Comes off as loud and not epic. Reminders of the bad video game music era between cool retro and cool modern

(3/10) Canada - Brooks and Dunn - I dunno its kind of bland country rock. Can't see the draw.

(3.5/10) Djibouti - Jason Richardson - Like obviously they are very skilled musicians but its still boring af... wtf the country interlude. Okay that was a good part. Not sure having random country and jazz breaks counts as creative but any break from metal is welcome.

(6/10) Chad - The Deadly Syndrome - Yeah this is some mid-tier indie rock. Luckily for you I like indie rock. Could listen to again, not in a huge rush to though. The progression was almost great. Almost. Just missed.

(1917/10) Russia - Toad - Perfect

(5.5/10) Australia - AMOYLC - This fits a niche of very chill stoner rock. And I'm for it, but the chorus kind of kills the chill. Don't like how squeaky that part is. Which is why I can't give this high niche points.

(2/10) Liechtenstein - Sick Puppies - Was definitely not going to enjoy this from the get go. As much as I admire emo aesthetic it always comes with bad music. Very teenager lyrics.

(1.5/10) USA - Ice Nine Kills - I'm not sure I can finish this given its like everything I dislike in music for 9 minutes or so. Fairly hit or miss on USA songs in general I think. Oh wait the song wasn't that long. Still no. I watched just enough of the video around it to be confused

(1/10) Iran - Saweetie - On a lyrical level I don't think I can enjoy this much. Its a bit unsubtle for me. Also the music track is very early 00s pop which is a big oof.

(2.5/10) Greenland - Beta State - I kind of forgot I was listening to this. Feels like that. Is the type of song you hear many times already.

(8/10) Ecuador - Sub Urban - This isn't really a genre I would listen to but I really enjoyed this song. Very interesting music, has a great hook. Good use of tempo change near the end.

(6/10) Hungary - Ginuwine - This is definitely some sexy R&B stuff. I can enjoy this, though I wouldn't probably listen to it. Nice beat.

(3.5/10) Poland - Two Gallants - I'm pretty meh on it, its a bit plainish. Not huge on the guys voice.

(5.5/10) Somalia - Maylene and Sons - I mean this is tolerable metal stuff. Don't really like screamy but somehow this guy's voice works cause its got a bit of raspiness to it (is that the right word? Idk). Dunno that I'd listen to it again or anything but it was fine to listen to. Can see why someone would enjoy.

(5/10) Turkey - Eric Whitacre - I only vaguely know of Eric Whitacre from that thing he did with the internet chorus. I didn't really mind this, I just thought it was a bit meh. It feels like its trying too hard to be classical music while not being too innovative about it. I could be missing something due to my lack of knowledge about classical music.

(4.5/10) Egypt - Rina Sawayama - This is okay for a modern pop song. Don't like it that much but its fine for listening to in the background.

(8.5/10) Comoros - Tricot - This opening is pretty mmm... the way the parts seem chaotically running around each other reminds me of Dirty Projectors in a good way. Just works. Like the dissonance, like the bouncey chords. The chorus actually works and builds on the verse which is great to hear because a lot of songs with this kind of energy ruin it in the chorus. Solid and good.
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #122 (isolation #3) » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:16 pm

Post by Aurathebirb »

I guess I could consider this a good song contest since the all the scoring countries were above my "meh" mark
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #131 (isolation #4) » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:34 am

Post by Aurathebirb »

In post 127, Formerfish wrote:Costa Rica- Of Montreal- ... but all their songs end up sounding the same after a while.
what

I couldn't name an artist this applies to less
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #153 (isolation #5) » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:40 pm

Post by Aurathebirb »

Honestly better than expected

I guess I can see people liking djiboti