The Guide to Designing Setups

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #2 (isolation #0) » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:50 pm

Post by Jingle »

FUCK YOU ALISAE I'M GOING TO CONTINUE DESIGNING GAMES THAT BREAK ALL OF YOUR RULES AND ARE FUN IN SPITE OF IT!

ego
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #3 (isolation #1) » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:09 pm

Post by Jingle »

I think the biggest takeaway here is that most of the time, you should start designing with a clear goal. Why do you want to build this game? What single thing is most important to you?

I think the biggest thing that needs to be added, honestly, is also the thing that most new mods (and some veterans) forget. You're not building a game for you. You're building a game for your players. The question isn't "Would I like to be a Serial Killer who only has a night kill if the day ends with a lynch on town and is seen targeting every dead player by trackers?" (Yes. I would.) The question is "Would [Average Player] like to play a game where every post has to have a decreasing number of words." (No, they don't.)

Similarly, if you're building a game where there's a game ending Jester, invite people like Nancy and rooroo who love Jester games. If there's a cult, Korina is your dog. If it's multiball, tell Ali she probably doesn't want to touch that shit with a ten foot pole because she will straight up not have fun. Get to know the people and what they like, and you'll find your players will trust you when you say a game is good.

And if you want to design a Nightmare style game, please dear god for the love of all that is sane, have someone who has successfully run one of those games WELL look at your setup. It will take a lot of time. It will take a lot of effort. It will save you from a lot of pissed off players complaining about how your shit setup should never have been run for years to come.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #12 (isolation #2) » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:03 pm

Post by Jingle »

I think it's important that we all recognize that FG is putting 14 mafia into his 17 player games.

My breakpoints are usually

7:2
10:3
15:4
18:5

for a design starting point and then you adjust from there based on respective powers in the teams. I'm willing to admit that is at least partially because those are the sizes I'm most used to working with though.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #14 (isolation #3) » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:23 pm

Post by Jingle »

Depends on your baseline. If you're measuring from Mountainous, cop IS a lot of power.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #22 (isolation #4) » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:09 am

Post by Jingle »

I’m so good at moderation I fell off the scale am in the negatives.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #25 (isolation #5) » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:17 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 23, ArcAngel9 wrote:Any thoughts on 9(Town):2(Mafai 1):2(Mafia 2) based setups? Town of course will receive a lot of power!
You'd be surprised how little power town actually needs there. Mafia are actively looking to eliminate each other in most of those setups, both because it furthers their wincon (they can't be shot at night, and they look town for scumhunting) and because catching otherscum is bussing without the downside.

If you're looking for inspiration, Jungle Republic and Fire and Ice are both pretty decent opens. Be aware that a large set of players dislike multiball as a rule.
Last edited by Jingle on Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #27 (isolation #6) » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:22 am

Post by Jingle »

I don't like either of those setups, personally. They're both a fair jumping off point to look at multiball balance in a mini though.
This is a Parachute.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”