Best Role Ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2 (isolation #0) » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:14 pm

Post by Vi »

I hope this qualifies...
You are a
Mediator
, neither condoning nor permitting violence wherever possible. If at the end of a given day you do not have a standing vote against someone, you may choose to act as a Doctor or a Roleblocker that night. You may not act as the same role toward the same person on consecutive nights, nor can you apply either role to yourself. You may cast a vote against someone during the day, but you must unvote before the end of the day to be permitted to use your Night Action. You win with the Town.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #50 (isolation #1) » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:29 am

Post by Vi »

You are the
Bomb Squad Recruit.
Explosives are fun, stopping murder is morally right, and so you can use the supplies you "acquire" at the office to become a
n
hero! :D

Each night, you may target someone (yourself included) and go to their house. Doing so will let you learn if anyone else went to that house - in other words, if anyone targeted your target. If you get a positive result, you will be told everyone who targeted your target. You may then choose to flee the house or attempt to set up a time bomb. Of course, you're not actually going to blow up the house; it's just a threat... but you can't seem to keep track of which wire to cut for each bomb to defuse it! If you set up the bomb, the Moderator will PM you back with the option to cut the red wire or the blue wire. (The Moderator will decide which wire is "correct" randomly.) If you cut the correct wire, you will block all actions that would have been performed on your target. If you cut the incorrect wire, you, your target, and everyone who targeted your target that night will die.

You are, of course, allied to the Town and win with them.
In case it's not clear, this role is a Watcher that can take a gamble based on who is doing the Night Action to either block the action or cause a nasty multikill that night.

Actually, this might be better if the Bomb Squad Recruit didn't kill himself on a failed block attempt. I'm not sure.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #77 (isolation #2) » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:55 am

Post by Vi »

Are you sure you didn't miss the other thread as well? If votes->Bob and NKs->Bob get redirected, you have Bob Almighty.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #124 (isolation #3) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:09 am

Post by Vi »

Worst Role.
You can't lose, and you may as well not worry about creating the rest of the setup (if the game is properly advertised).

It sounds like something that would be funny to see in a Marathon Day game though.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #588 (isolation #4) » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:54 am

Post by Vi »

You are a
Duelist
(attention!) with
PLAYERNAME

You win if
PLAYERNAME
is lynched or killed before you die or the game ends, PROVIDED you were on the lynch wagon or killed
PLAYERNAME
. When you win, you will leave the game.

If
PLAYERNAME
is lynched and you are not on the wagon, you will become a Duelist with the hammerer. If
PLAYERNAME
is killed and you did not kill them, you will become a Duelist with the person who killed them. You will not be told who your new Duelist is.

You are also a one-shot Shield-Shot Vig. Once during the game at Night you may shoot another player. Doing so will render you immune to all other kills that Night.
The subject of Lynchers came up elsewhere, and I thought of this.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #591 (isolation #5) » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:17 am

Post by Vi »

Mafuyu wrote:Presumably both players are duelists, so firing at each other leads to a null. The shield-shots are a bit like playing chicken.
Mafuyu gets it.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #597 (isolation #6) » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:04 am

Post by Vi »

Max wrote:In this game it might be worth having it "RAF" style.

Shoot other, shoot self or do nothing.
I think this may work.
The "being duelist with the one who kills the other" would be epicly hard to do, altough still possible.
Think of yourself as a Townie on a mission.~
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #604 (isolation #7) » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:08 pm

Post by Vi »

dramonic wrote:
Vi wrote:
You are a
Duelist
(attention!) with
PLAYERNAME

You win if
PLAYERNAME
is lynched or killed before you die or the game ends, PROVIDED you were on the lynch wagon or killed
PLAYERNAME
. When you win, you will leave the game.

If
PLAYERNAME
is lynched and you are not on the wagon, you will become a Duelist with the hammerer. If
PLAYERNAME
is killed and you did not kill them, you will become a Duelist with the person who killed them. You will not be told who your new Duelist is.

You are also a one-shot Shield-Shot Vig. Once during the game at Night you may shoot another player. Doing so will render you immune to all other kills that Night.
The subject of Lynchers came up elsewhere, and I thought of this.
I actually used something similar in Scummers Mafia.
Battle Mage was part of the mafia and had the special clause of having to be the one to kill/hammer Benmage. If somebody else did he then had to kill/hammer that person.
Except he had to FIND benmage. Then again he had a Rolecop.
After getting burned in Death Note Mafia I'm really not liking the idea of having to find your target.

Actually, the idea for this originally came from the idea of two Lynchers who knew they were each others' targets.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #623 (isolation #8) » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:50 pm

Post by Vi »

Battousai wrote:... I think I was told that Tar was a player, maybe?
Correct.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #644 (isolation #9) » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:08 am

Post by Vi »

RichardGHP wrote:Cops are fine, as long as they're unconfirmed sanity and not in the presence of a protective role. Crazy and dumb variations are giving the role a bad name.
Aren't unconfirmed-sanity Cops under the umbrella of "crazy and dumb variations"?
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #650 (isolation #10) » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:04 am

Post by Vi »

SaintKerrigan wrote:
andrew94 wrote:
3rd party evil genius

you know who everyone is, you know what their abilities are.
you win when you are in the final 3
I have strongly considered using a role very similar to this in one of my distant-future games...

*stops self before giving away all the secrets*
Beyond_Birthday used something very similar to this role in one of his themes. Immense swinginess ensued.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #657 (isolation #11) » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:34 am

Post by Vi »

SaintKerrigan wrote:
Vi wrote:
SaintKerrigan wrote:
andrew94 wrote:
3rd party evil genius

you know who everyone is, you know what their abilities are.
you win when you are in the final 3
I have strongly considered using a role very similar to this in one of my distant-future games...

*stops self before giving away all the secrets*
Beyond_Birthday used something very similar to this role in one of his themes. Immense swinginess ensued.
I was counting on that. :twisted:
Here's the game I was talking about. And okay, I was ALMOST right on B_B. >_>
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #659 (isolation #12) » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:59 pm

Post by Vi »

Dark Horse wrote:
Cautious Vig:
Each night, you may select one person to kill. If that person is mafia, he/she is shot. If that person is town, however, they vig will not kill that person and can select someone else.

The Cautious Veg wins when all threats to the town have been eliminated.
This role could be balanced... if and only if this role is also in the game.
Naive PGO:
Any Town-aligned player who targets you with any action will be reflexively killed.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #704 (isolation #13) » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Post by Vi »

PokerFace wrote:
You ain't nothing but a
Gold Digger
. You may target a player at night. If said player has an action they are performing that night it will be blocked. You will be told when you successfully do this as you will be able to perform their action on any player of your choosing during that same night. Thats right, if they got something good, it is yours. There is no point in messing with them broke nillas. You win when _____.
Lord I seriously apoligize for that pun.
It's not a pun, it's a reference.

Reading the thread backward I was hoping for something like
You are a
Gold Digger
At Night you may sit around and pick your nose. Go on... Pick me a winner!

You win with the rest of the Town, etc.
It's a V. Townie.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #707 (isolation #14) » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:27 pm

Post by Vi »

zoraster wrote:
Vi wrote:
PokerFace wrote:
You ain't nothing but a
Gold Digger
. You may target a player at night. If said player has an action they are performing that night it will be blocked. You will be told when you successfully do this as you will be able to perform their action on any player of your choosing during that same night. Thats right, if they got something good, it is yours. There is no point in messing with them broke nillas. You win when _____.
Lord I seriously apoligize for that pun.
It's not a pun, it's a reference.
[/spoiler]
"broke nillas" is a pun.
:oops:
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #812 (isolation #15) » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:27 am

Post by Vi »

Herodotus wrote:x_X (town, sk, survivor; super-rare; 4+ players): You can kill with a glance ("x_X [player]"). You act during the day, not at night. Your ability can only be used once. Actions: (day)kill (1 use)
(If looks could kill...)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #921 (isolation #16) » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:44 am

Post by Vi »

In post 920, izakthegoomba wrote:That is it's own special kind of horrible.
...if by horrible you mean
perfectly legitimate and awesome way of playing

Return to “Mafia Discussion”