False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #427 (isolation #0) » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:26 pm

Post by mastina »

Hi I haven't read this game what should I know.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #433 (isolation #1) » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:32 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 430, Zenith wrote:
In post 427, mastina wrote:Hi I haven't read this game what should I know.
You can start by revealing your mod. Just the name of your mod please.
CBBE.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #497 (isolation #2) » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:18 pm

Post by mastina »

So with Pine dead as dead scum: why would removing scum chat be good?
Pine was their team's mastermind, guaranteed.
With him dead they already don't have leadership, so. Would they actually have any benefit from their scum PT?
That's my main concern with Thief; it feels like the stated benefit (disables PTs)...wouldn't be as much of a benefit as people think?
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #625 (isolation #3) » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:07 am

Post by mastina »

In post 544, wrong fish wrote:
In post 400, jjh927 wrote:Mastina replaces GIF.
This should be a clear positive if she is town, if she is scum we will know.
You'd think so but I'm kinda sorta understanding why GIF replaced out--
I'm having a really hard time getting invested in the game, following the mechanics, not really understanding where people were coming from in terms of past suspicion, etc.

This MIGHT have something to do with me reading at 4 am while I'm sick, butyeah. I'm posting today and TRYING to read because I don't want to eat a prod but I'm not going to solve the game until I can get into it.

I will solve it once I do get into it, just, uh.
Give me time, give me direction. I'll be the fine mastina you know once I can be in the mindset of "I want to play this game" rather than "ugh I kinda know why GIF replaced out" and right now I'm in the latter mindset rather than the former.

I'll get better. Probably in a week.
Or you can spur it to happen in less than 48 hours by wagoning me, triggering me, etc. :P
Butyeah.
I'm not "in" the game right now, I'll get in the game...well, when I get in the game, still going to try tho.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #726 (isolation #4) » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:14 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 628, alimdia wrote:Please just read the thread, this is the last time I'm answering something that I've already said
Some people are trying to do that but having an incredibly hard time parsing it so I'd appreciate a talk-to-me-as-if-I-were-a-dummy breakdown of it so that idiot-me can understand the context behind everything.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #727 (isolation #5) » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:27 pm

Post by mastina »

(I am basically at the spot of trusting Zenith's claim to be town and having minor gut townreads on alimdia and Formerfish but uh. There's nine players I have to read and I've got townreads on only three of them which is less than half the amount I need and even those reads amount to just looking at their posts and thinking "yeah I think that's probably town".)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #728 (isolation #6) » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:30 pm

Post by mastina »

Oh I guess Eve is also a maybe in townreads but it'd be of an even lower tier.
I feel like I can maybe maybe maybe if I am more awake get a read on Suji, but I don't have one yet.

So that'd be:
Zenith

Dongfish
alimidia

Eve?

{Blatant Scum, Wake, Aeronaut, Turkey} | {Suji}.
(Suji separate as like the others, no read, but unlike the others, probably can get a read, just...need to be more awake to properly process and create it.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #755 (isolation #7) » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:38 pm

Post by mastina »

Mod: One-day V/LA for today
Back in the day my signature had me noted as V/LA on the weekends, for good reason, particularly Saturdays; Saturdays like this one would be why I used to have that notification in there. :P
I ended up not keeping it in my sig because I had other things I needed + every mod for games I played in learned it, but since it's been a long time, figured it might be worth mentioning again particularly for today.

Saturdays are "busy, with rare exceptions", today is not an exception. :P
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #781 (isolation #8) » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:00 pm

Post by mastina »

sEnD hElP pLeAsE

(I realize most people won't get this. To put it simply: I got really really addicted to the above game, Cividilization 2--and it's not hard to understand why when you know what the game is. It is basically "Civilization, as an Idle game". As in. Sid Meiyer's Civilization, probably ~5-inspired, one of THE most infamous timesinks of all time.
Combined with an Idle game, a genre infamous for being a time sink in of itself. And it doesn't have many of the deterrents to most idle games--even when the game slows to a crawl, it still feels like you're managing your empire rather than trying to progress to the next level, or trying to grind and beat a high score, or similar problems many other idle games have; it's completely free of Pay To Win content, meaning there's literally nothing to deter me from playing, soooooo. HELP ME I AM ADDICTED DAMMIT.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #826 (isolation #9) » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:50 am

Post by mastina »

In post 809, jjh927 wrote:
Xtoxm replaces Aeronaut!
Now we just need to somehow con kuribo into joining us here. :P
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #865 (isolation #10) » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:47 pm

Post by mastina »

MOD: V/LA until the issues with my power/internet are resolved.

Because right now, everything which can go fucking wrong, is.

Literally every possible fucking problem.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #965 (isolation #11) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:58 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 829, Sujimichi wrote:
In post 826, mastina wrote:
Xtoxm replaces Aeronaut!
Are you going to contribute anything of substance to this game?
Hard to say. It's kinda a bit demotivating to have no powers in a role madness game--like I said, I understand exactly why GIF flaked out of this game. It's incredibly hard to get motivated because I've got nothing to look forward to, nothing to engage on, and am not really getting much in the way of thoughts.

I gave this before:
In post 727, mastina wrote:(I am basically at the spot of trusting Zenith's claim to be town and having minor gut townreads on alimdia and Formerfish but uh. There's nine players I have to read and I've got townreads on only three of them which is less than half the amount I need and even those reads amount to just looking at their posts and thinking "yeah I think that's probably town".)
In post 728, mastina wrote:Oh I guess Eve is also a maybe in townreads but it'd be of an even lower tier.
I feel like I can maybe maybe maybe if I am more awake get a read on Suji, but I don't have one yet.

So that'd be:
Zenith

Dongfish
alimidia

Eve?

(Suji separate as like the others, no read, but unlike the others, probably can get a read, just...need to be more awake to properly process and create it.)
This is mostly unchanged, aside from me being able to mention that you said that your game in Jingle's micro was your first scumgame, which indicates you being town here, but there's the matter of whether you had the intelligence to fake that + needing to compare your play there to here and crossreference it to Gamma's game. Initial thoughts, I probably trust you there and think that this is probably town, but it's not definite town, so that's like:

Zenith

Dongfish
alimidia
Sujimichi

Eve

With last scum in {Blatant Scum, Wake, Aeronaut/Xtoxm, Turkey}.
Xtoxm's a lazy townread--not a real townread but a "eh, I'll let him be town for now" read out of laziness.
Which leaves 2/3 scum in {Blatant Scum, Wake, Turkey}. None of which I am townreading and none of which I am scumreading.

It's a bit survivalistic, but:
VOTE: Blatant Scum.
Leading wagon other than me + in the POE of three players most likely to contain scum.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #966 (isolation #12) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:01 pm

Post by mastina »

Also, Blatant Scum's role is the type of role which seems strong enough to be a scum role to counterbalance the strength of Zenith's role being town.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1088 (isolation #13) » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:31 pm

Post by mastina »

Still think this is the right vote:
VOTE: Wake88
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1192 (isolation #14) » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:23 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 1110, Something_Smart wrote:Mastina ISO is really unimpressive. I would like to hear more from her if possible.
So would I but this game is a real struggle for me.
In post 1119, gobbledygook wrote:I think the two scum are within {Wake88, Eve, Alimidia, Mastina}
I'd have replaced Alimidia with you if not for the cop inno on you.

Which is why my vote is on Wake.
Yesterday I thought the scum were in {Wake, Turkey, BS}. BS flipped scum, Turkey got copped, leaves Wake as the obvious vote.
In post 1157, Eve wrote:i haven't seen you give reasons for him specifically as scum yesterday or seen you vote him
I did:
In post 965, mastina wrote:
In post 829, Sujimichi wrote:
In post 826, mastina wrote:
Xtoxm replaces Aeronaut!
Are you going to contribute anything of substance to this game?
Hard to say. It's kinda a bit demotivating to have no powers in a role madness game--like I said, I understand exactly why GIF flaked out of this game. It's incredibly hard to get motivated because I've got nothing to look forward to, nothing to engage on, and am not really getting much in the way of thoughts.

I gave this before:
In post 727, mastina wrote:(I am basically at the spot of trusting Zenith's claim to be town and having minor gut townreads on alimdia and Formerfish but uh. There's nine players I have to read and I've got townreads on only three of them which is less than half the amount I need and even those reads amount to just looking at their posts and thinking "yeah I think that's probably town".)
In post 728, mastina wrote:Oh I guess Eve is also a maybe in townreads but it'd be of an even lower tier.

So that'd be:
Zenith

Dongfish
alimidia

Eve?

This is mostly unchanged, aside from me being able to mention that you said that your game in Jingle's micro was your first scumgame, which indicates you being town here, but there's the matter of whether you had the intelligence to fake that + needing to compare your play there to here and crossreference it to Gamma's game. Initial thoughts, I probably trust you there and think that this is probably town, but it's not definite town, so that's like:

Zenith

Dongfish
alimidia
Sujimichi

Eve

With last scum in {Blatant Scum, Wake, Aeronaut/Xtoxm, Turkey}.
Xtoxm's a lazy townread--not a real townread but a "eh, I'll let him be town for now" read out of laziness.
Which leaves 2/3 scum in {Blatant Scum, Wake, Turkey}. None of which I am townreading and none of which I am scumreading.

It's a bit survivalistic, but:
VOTE: Blatant Scum.
Leading wagon other than me + in the POE of three players most likely to contain scum.
In post 1188, gobbledygook wrote:So I would like Mastina to claim first. Then Alimidia. Then Eve.
I already did claim. It's literally in the quote above.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1230 (isolation #15) » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:55 am

Post by mastina »

In post 1194, gobbledygook wrote:Why is it more likely Wake is lying about being a bodyguard than Zenith lying, or me being scum with Dong?
Wake is a scumread. He could be scum lying about his role; he could be scum with a town role; this doesn't change the scumread. The role is not something which scum would never fakeclaim.

In contrast, Dong has claimed IC. This is a role scum would never fakeclaim--or at least, scum with any intention of winning the game while sticking to the claim and committing to it. Plus, even without the claim, I townread the slot.

Zenith's claim is mostly confirmed already. This means, not a fakeclaim. Plus, Zenith was a townread; Something_Smart continues that townread.

You were a scumread, but you have a cop innocent on you. My choices are,
-You are a godfather (nobody uses godfathers least of all in a mini, so no),
-My read on one of the two is wrong, or,
-My scumread on you is wrong.

The most likely of these is the third.
In post 1196, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 1192, mastina wrote:BS flipped scum
Come again? :P
Typo.
In post 1197, Something_Smart wrote:Mastina, what was the mod's justification for making you VT?
It doesn't do anything gameplay-wise and is for purely the male gaze.
In post 1198, Something_Smart wrote:Hey, guess what doesn't have an E in it?
"VT"
Sure but my role isn't VT, that's an abbreviation of Vanilla Townie, which does have an E.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1261 (isolation #16) » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:57 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 1235, gobbledygook wrote:Mastina, why would scum claim bodyguard?
I can give you a plethora of reasons from the game where I was mislynched as one where people kept on repeatedly saying "scum can fakeclaim bodyguard" as well as show you a game where scum did precisely that, fakeclaim bodyguard.

Suffice to say: bodyguard does not a town role make.

Role != alignment, barring extenuous circumstances such as masons, innocent children, and when someone has a cop clear on them.
In post 1241, Eve wrote:Mastina what does it say in the flavour part of your role PM for why you're s VT?
I answered the justification part already. The flavor is quoting the mod's wiki description, apparently.
In post 1252, Eve wrote:Bulletproof Khajit - in a phase where the thief stone is active i'm bulletproof
Wait.
So you're a BULLETPROOF when the THIEF stone is activated...
...When we have a VIG who is active when the THIEF stone is activated?

As in, bulletproof at the same time our vig has the ability to shoot?

...In a game where Something_Smart already claimed bulletproof?

VOTE: Eve
I think those two (pretty much proven town) claims speak for themselves here for why Eve is lockscum.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1262 (isolation #17) » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:00 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 1256, Something_Smart wrote:If Eve is town then a scum strongman is likely.
Something_Smart, you've got a bulletproof.
Wake is a claimed bodyguard.
Xtoxm was a jailkeeper (a protective role).
popsofctown was a rolestopper (a protective role).
Eve is claiming bulletproof townie whose BP is active on the same night that our vig's vig power is active.

A full scum strongman wouldn't be able to explain all of the above being town.
A full scum strongman, versus two town bulletproofs, a bodyguard, a rolestopper, and a jailkeeper, is still townsided as fuck.

So there's no way that you, Wake, Xtoxm, popsofctown, and Eve are all town.
You are town, Xtoxm/popsofctown have flipped town.

Which means there's 1-2 scum in Eve and Wake.
Even if you don't think both are scum (I do), you can at least agree AT LEAST one of them must be, right?
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1268 (isolation #18) » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:30 am

Post by mastina »

In post 1264, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 1259, alimdia wrote:They're only bulletproof when the claimed vig can shoot.
I mean, if both mods are thief-related, that's hardly surprising. If Eve were scum bulletproof it would be identical from a design perspective if she were bulletproof on every night.
Yo, SS. This doesn't address my main points:
In post 1261, mastina wrote:
In post 1252, Eve wrote:Bulletproof Khajit - in a phase where the thief stone is active i'm bulletproof
Wait.
So you're a BULLETPROOF when the THIEF stone is activated...
...When we have a VIG who is active when the THIEF stone is activated?

As in, bulletproof at the same time our vig has the ability to shoot?

...In a game where Something_Smart already claimed bulletproof?

I think those two (pretty much proven town) claims speak for themselves here for why Eve is lockscum.
In post 1262, mastina wrote:
In post 1256, Something_Smart wrote:If Eve is town then a scum strongman is likely.
Something_Smart, you've got a bulletproof.
Xtoxm was a jailkeeper (a protective role).
popsofctown was a rolestopper (a protective role).
Eve is claiming bulletproof townie whose BP is active on the same night that our vig's vig power is active.

A full scum strongman wouldn't be able to explain all of the above being town.
A full scum strongman, versus two town bulletproofs, a bodyguard, a rolestopper, and a jailkeeper, is still townsided as fuck.

So there's no way that you, Wake, Xtoxm, popsofctown, and Eve are all town.
You are town, Xtoxm/popsofctown have flipped town.

Which means there's 1-2 scum in Eve and Wake.
Even if you don't think both are scum (I do), you can at least agree AT LEAST one of them must be, right?
There is a flipped town jailkeeper.
There is a flipped town rolestopper.
You are a claimed town one-shot bulletproof (with more on top of that role as well as the 1x bp, butstill).
Eve is a claimed bulletproof on the nights the vig is able to shoot--this implies that Eve's role is designed specifically to not be killed by Sujimichi, regardless of Eve's alignment. Eve is designed to specifically be immune to Sujimichi. Which alignment do you think is more likely to have a role designed to be immune to the vig shot?

Furthermore.
If you were to assume that scum have a strongman--and this is an ASSUMPTION, not a fact, an assumption of some unknown unproven scum role that you're theorycrafting as maybe possibly potentially being in the setup without hard proof. But sure, let's humor that line of thought. Let's even have it be an ungated full strongman even though were a strongman to exist it most certainly would have some limitation on it. But just for the sake of argument, let's say that there's a full scum strongman in spite of my reasons for saying this line of thinking is unlikely.

A full strongman.
Against a town 1x bulletproof.
A rolestopper.
A jailkeeper.
A bulletproof.
And a bodyguard.

Is still not balanced.

And we have proof that there isn't a full strongman, too--you're alive.
You are a claimed Oracle, the strongest possible town investigative with any modicum of competency from the person holding the role, who also happens to have claimed 1x bulletproof. Sounds like the absolutely perfect target for a scum strongman to take out, yes? Yet you're alive--so either the scum didn't have one able to strongman kill or didn't think to kill you with it. (The former of which is far, far more likely than the latter.)

You've got five claimed killstopper roles--one was your own, two have flipped.
And you've got reasonably good evidence suggesting against the existence of an ungated strongman if nothing else.
And those five killstopper roles, even with a strongman, would still be townsided if all town--and given the lack of a proven strongman with soft evidence against one, that's even more townsided if they were all true.

Basically.
Mechanically.
There is every reason to call at least one of Eve/Wake's claims bullshit, with the very high chance that Eve is a scum bulletproof designed to be immune to the vig's nightkill.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1269 (isolation #19) » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:33 am

Post by mastina »

In post 1265, gobbledygook wrote:Scum definitely have a strongman and it looks to be Mastina.
If I were a scum strongman then Something_Smart's slot, the claimed bulletproof Oracle, would be dead instead of Xtoxm.

So either I'm not scum or scum don't have a strongman. Pick your choice. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. Either scum lack a strongman (in which case the idea of five killstopping roles being town is laughable, and thus, at least one of Eve or Wake must be scum), or I am not scum (in which case, the chance that Wake/Eve are scum skyrockets via sheer raw poe).

In either case, the lynch shouldn't be me. It should be one of Eve/Wake.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1271 (isolation #20) » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:47 am

Post by mastina »

Like. I've been not very motivated this game, but this is where I AM in my element. Mechanics are something I am
good
at, and it is painfully obvious.
There is reasonably good proof that we do not have a full ungated scum strongman. There could be a scum strongman in select circumstances, but even given the existence of one, a scum strongman does not a counterbalance make to five claimed killstoppers.

Like, Something_Smart, in a mini, would you consider this setup to be balanced:
1-shot Bulletproof 2-shot Cop (this is probably the loose power of your role if we convert it into a Normal role--I'd argue stronger, like, ungated Cop, but I'll give you the benefit of your restrictions meaning it's not an ungated cop)
Nonconsecutive Jailkeeper Neighbor (probably the closest Normal modifier to roles that are reliant on a specific stone)
Nonconsecutive Rolestopper (as per above)
Nonconsecutive Bulletproof
Nonconsecutive Vig
Bodyguard Neighbor
VTx4

versus,
Scum Nonconsecutive Rolecop
Scum Nonconsecutive Strongman
Scum Goon

(With either the goon or a VT as a third neighbor)

...Or would you consider it to be townsided as fuck?

If all of those town roles were claimed in a game, with only the scum rolecop flipped, would you posit "hmm, maybe a scum strongman would balance this out", a violation of occam's razor, or would you posit, "At least one of these claimed PRs for killstopping is lying"?
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1291 (isolation #21) » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:35 am

Post by mastina »

In post 1274, alimdia wrote:But I still agree that theres too much protective/non dying shit
So why are you voting me instead of one of them (Wake/Eve).
In post 1285, gobbledygook wrote:Mastina, why are you hypothesizing a goon when everyone has claimed an ability, except you? Are you the goon?
I didn't.

I used a goon for the hypothetical Normal setup but you'll also note I listed three VTs there, because role madness in a Normal isn't allowed. You could flip your question around and ask why I am hypothesizing three VTs when I am the only one who has claimed not to have an ability, and the answer would be the same.

I dumbed down the setup from this game to the pertinent parts--the roles we have flipped, and the roles relevant to the point I was making. That point being, no amount of scum power, none, would make it not be townsided as fuck, if you assume all claims to be true. Thus...at least one claim must not be.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1292 (isolation #22) » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:37 am

Post by mastina »

In post 1286, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 1283, gobbledygook wrote:SS’s role is too op to be bulletproof AND a joat with all those abilities. Basic setup design
You don't know what my modifiers are, nor do you know what power the scum has. I don't see how you could make this judgement...
Something_Smart
: I am feeling awfully ignored here. You're clearly reading the game thread and yet every time I have asked you for your thoughts on the mechanical impossibility of Eve/Wake being town, you just...

...Say absolutely nothing.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1430 (isolation #23) » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:17 pm

Post by mastina »

I DEMAND that the scum PT be released as to let everyone witness the glory of my song.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1433 (isolation #24) » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:35 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 1431, Something_Smart wrote:GG. I'm definitely a fan of how Zenith played the early game (the bulletproof claim, the "what is everyone's flavor?", redacting bulletproof from Eve's mod name, and crumbing eccentric but not claiming it).

Setup was pretty townsided, I think. Most of scum's tools were only useful when they were already in trouble (mastina's janitor, and Eve's deathproof), while town had vig, IC, and parity cop which is already 4 clears, not even considering tracker/roleblocker results or the fact that BG can usually die in place of a confirmed town.

Setup concept was really clever though, with the stone-related powers and the levelers. Town power just needed to be weaker and scum power needed to be stronger.
I ranted quite a bit about this in the scum PT (will be released soon) and in the dead PT (which was released) and said much the same in much much stronger words. :P
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1434 (isolation #25) » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:40 pm

Post by mastina »

Spoiler: my setup ranting
In post 78, mastina wrote:
In post 76, jjh927 wrote:So now I get to defend the setup from Mastina
It's still not balanced.
Conditional deathproof traitor is literally the entirety of the scum's power.
The ENTIRETY of the scum's power, is a role that they know NOTHING about.

We knew there was a traitor.
We knew fuckall about the traitor. Not who they were, not how to recruit them, not even that we COULD recruit them.

My role REQUIRED me to die--and the deathproof traitor is ALSO incentivized to die. Two scum REQUIRED to die to use their roles. Did you not think about what it means for all but one scum, to be REQUIRED to eat a lynch/nightkill, in order for their roles to come into affect? Yes, one of said scum would survive said role coming into affect, but it's still them requiring to eat a death, when the scum want deaths to be on town players.

Deathproof scum being lynched, is worse than town being lynched.
Janitoring scum being lynched, is worse than town being lynched.
Deathproof scum being nightkilled, is worse than town being nightkilled.
Janitoring scum being nightkilled, is worse than town being nightkilled.

Scum were incentivized BY THEIR ROLES to eat lynch and/or vig and/or their own factional nightkill.
That is a lynch which isn't on a town player, or a vig that isn't on a town player, or a factional nightkill that isn't on a town player.

Then on top of that--town has the strongest possible town investigative in the game with laughable restrictions.
Being macho means fuckall, the role is still brokenly powerful. Scum killing it is a free shot, sure...
...IF they can get a shot off on it.
Because, again.
They are incentivized, as scum, to eat deaths, AS SCUM, that should be aimed at town.
And then on top of that--jailkeepers might not save the oracle if protecting the oracle, but can block the scum's nightkill.
Rolestoppers, if you go by Normal standards, can block the scum's nightkill--Macho means protective actions fail, but rolestopper isn't classified as a protective action, it is classified as a roleblocking action that roleblocks everyone else targeting the macho player.
That, not to mention the town roles on top of that.
Another protective who can protect anyone other than the macho player.
A neighborhood which was PAINFULLY obvious via ridiculously easy to deduce setup spec was a masonry instead of a neighborhood. (Anyone with half a brain could tell that all three members of the neighborhood were town, Xtoxm was dead on the money with his setup spec and reasoning for believing the members to be town because he nailed it through simple logic.) Like, the town thinking the members aren't town is pure stupidity on their parts to be frank.
There's whatever alimidia (apparently an investigative of some sort?) and Turkey (who is apparently not actually the traitor) are.
There's an IC.

There was never a realm scum really had a chance at winning this game from a role-design perspective. The town had a BOATLOAD of tools at their disposal. The scum had fuckall in terms of tools.
The scum lacked information, as the "informed" minority.
The scum lacked interaction with the mechanic the setup is based around, whereas the town roles were built and based around it.
The scum were incentivized to eat lynches/nightkills rather than to lynch town/nightkill town/have town be vigged, in order to utilize their roles.

The scum, simply put, didn't have any of the tools at their disposal, that make scum be scum.
Scum have the tools of being the informed minority (we lacked information) and being able to remove players from the game during the night (there were multiple killstopping roles in the game and the scum's own roles were MEANT TO DRAW KILLS).

The roles I mentioned in my post might not be the ones in the setup.
The sentiment behind my song stands.

Scum could never win this game even if Suji didn't vig two scum basically in a row--because the town has tools which give them far, far more information than what the scum have at their disposal, have multiple kill-denial methods, and the scum's normal tools weren't at their disposal.

Giving scum a conditional deathproof traitor, does no counterbalance the detrimental nature of the game to the scum.

Like, was popsofctown a bad nightkill?
No, a rolestopper in most games is a DAMN fucking good nightkill.
Was Xtoxm a bad nightkill?
No, a jailkeeper "neighbor"(read, mason) that upgrades the town's roles, in most games, is a DAMN fucking good nightkill.
Was Sujimichi a bad nightkill?
No, a Vig, in most games, is a DAMN fucking good nightkill.

But the scum have too fucking many players to nightkill, and not enough nights to kill them all, especially not when so many of those nightkills very easily could have not gone according to plan.

We can't nightkill them all, we can't reliably steer the vig into vigging them all, and we can't get the town to lynch them all.

The town had multiple roles capable of basically confirming themselves as town.
The town had multiple ways of PoEing the scum.
And the scum had one role that could MAYBE give them an edge, POSSIBLY, if used in a very specific way in a very narrow window.

I feel like my rant is fucking justified here.

I won't deny that Sujimichi is a god at vigging; that's undeniable. This isn't the first time Sujimichi has made clutch vigs.
And I won't deny that multiple town players have played well--Xtoxm did, Suji did, and Something_Smart's slot has done so the whole game.
So like--the town still has earned the win and scum did nothing to deserve the win and everything to deserve the loss on play.

But like.
That doesn't excuse the setup.

It is in no way even remotely close to balanced and is TREMENDOUSLY townsided.
In post 79, mastina wrote:To put it another way:
Even if every town player aside from Something_Smart that was alive, were a VT or even strictly-100%-negative-utility role that couldn't help the town in any way shape or form even remotely.

I'd still call the setup townsided by a reasonable margin, even with Something_Smart being macho.

That they are probably not lying about having roles even if they're fibbing about the exact nature of their roles, just serves to tip the scales even further.

There's a reason that the town was expecting strong scum roles like a fucking full scum strongman--Eve's BP being deathproof traitor scum (and thus, not a town role) and SS's slot inverting macho<->bulletproof and whatever other lies there are, don't do enough for people's expectations to not be there.

The town had SUCH strong roles, that they are very right to suspect scum had strong roles.
Except we didn't.
We had a negative utility role and a role of situational utility that was also more negative utility to the groupscum than it was positive utility. The Deathproof Traitor is, in of itself, a NET NEUTRAL role overall, if I'm being GENEROUS; a role that could have equal good and bad for the scumteam in its use (but a heavy lean towards it being more bad).

Yet the setup was balanced with the expectation that said role would be incredibly strong for the scumteam, that it would be a huge net benefit for them, that the scum would with that role alone be super-brokenly strong, so the town got to load up on things to counterbalance a role that was just not thought out with how its implementation would have consequences on the scumteam's ability to function as a scumteam.

I'm not mad about the inevitable loss; I don't give a damn about it. If the game were 9 VTs + a town vig, versus three goons, then I'd have proudly ate the loss to the town anyway because Suji is a god and deserves the win and wasn't the only town player to play good.

But I don't think calling the game even remotely close to balanced is in any way remotely accurate. It just outright wasn't.

More than that--it's just not fun.

I'll happily play a game that's unbalanced if it is in any way, shape, or form, fun.

But this mechanic isn't.
It's not fun to the scum.
I doubt Eve is having fun with this role.
I most certainly wasn't having fun as scum; the only fun I had was that which I created with the song.
And I actually wouldn't be surprised for the town to also not be having fun, for much the reasons popsofctown mentioned. The role of the deathproof traitor just isn't fun for them to play around, and this game having the mechanics it does, just isn't very conductive to fun, though maybe I'm mistaken there. (I wasn't town so I can't speak to if town is having fun, but I can tell you that if I were town here, I probably wouldn't be enjoying the game much more than I did as scum.)

If something's unbalanced but still enjoyable, it's something I can accept.
If something's balanced but not really enjoyable, probably not ideal, but I can still accept it.
But when something is incredibly unbalanced AND incredibly unfun.

I feel like I'm in my fucking right to rant about it.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”