The Root of Toxicity in Mafia Games

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #300 (ISO) » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:55 am

Post by Krazy »

I mean the thread is about toxicity and over-valuing "winrate" is a frequent characteristic of toxic players.
vote conspiracy
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #301 (ISO) » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:42 am

Post by Psyche »

In post 299, Dannflor wrote:because then ppl have to admit rc is good at mafia
vry fair
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #302 (ISO) » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:43 am

Post by Ankamius »

In post 300, Krazy wrote:I mean the thread is about toxicity and over-valuing "winrate" is a frequent characteristic of toxic players.
less winrate and more stats in general
profii
profii
Jack of All Trades
profii
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #303 (ISO) » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:11 am

Post by profii »

In post 296, Krazy wrote:Probably too much to get everyone to vote on every player. But maybe people could do accolades to reward positive behavior.
You are right, I figured getting everyone to rate every other player rapidly increases the sample size and reduces the risk of 2 players joining a game to rate themselves and game the system.
In post 297, Ramcius wrote:You can't let people rate other people in the game, it literally invites more toxicity and ratings for likes/dislikes. But if good/experienced mods rated players in their games, then we might get something out of it
The idea was that if people remove toxicity from their play to invite likes and ward off dislikes... that's the point. I like the idea of the mod doing it though.
In post 298, Psyche wrote:i think winrates are fine! why can't we be happy with winrates
yeah people can fluke good winrates, but not over large samples
and if it's small samples, no good evaluative metric is possible
yall make this so complicated
You could do both, someone who is a well liked player, but we know they aren't good at finding scum. Or someone who wins a lot but does it by being an utter cockwomble in every game they play are both things that seem to happen on this site, so if we present both statistics, maybe people will be the change they want to see.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #304 (ISO) » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:26 am

Post by Psyche »

the dream would be to track smaller scale but still concrete stuff than win/lose so people have clearer feedback on skills they can improve on or are good at and maybe on a larger scale get a better idea of what makes someone good at mafia

with the right codebase, we could track wagon participation and outcomes across many games and measure individual differences in who and how often they start or join wagons, the outcomes of wagons they participate in or lead (do they result in bandwagoning? lynches? scum or town lynches?), and so on
can also track thread activity (posts per day, words per day, etc), amount of mentions by other players, how often they are the focus of wagons themselves, god i could go on forever
we might even be able to track sentiment about the player by other players in the game, though the nature of the game complicates this (say you like playing w a dude but also repeatedly say you want them lynched? is that gonna be read as positive or negative sentiment?)
parallels for scum also exist too (bussing? do they make mislynches happen? are they good at finding and killing PRs at night?)

can even identify stats with traits like "charisma", "accuracy", "engagement", etc to give everything verve/clarity

some people will seem to score favorably on just about everything tracked this way and still have worse W/L, but you'll know their strengths and weaknesses all the same

oh if only i had the time
Chara
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: it/its

Post Post #305 (ISO) » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:25 am

Post by Chara »

my take is i like playing games, and i find they're fun because some players win and some players lose. players who don't try to win are less fun, and players who care so much about winning they get nasty are also no fun.

my ideal game is always one where everyone tried, even if it doesn't end in success. even if you vig the cop because you thought they were scum. i can be happy with a loss with a fun game.
if i wanted to (only) shitpost/chat with friends i would be in GD.
"Sibling," Farkran asked, starting slowly.
"The CORE is full of lasers, and Chemist1422's entire existence depends on her eye. If she looks into a laser, she will almost certainly die. Did you think about that?"
"Oh yes, my brother. I love thinking about that."
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #306 (ISO) » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:28 am

Post by Psyche »

I WILL MAKE THE TIME
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #307 (ISO) » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:18 am

Post by Menalque »

Hypothesis: toxicity increases exponentially when the response to not knowing how to handle someone is defaulting to a SR instead of a TR/sort later mentality
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #308 (ISO) » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:27 am

Post by Ankamius »

That isn't a bad theory
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #309 (ISO) » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:17 am

Post by Ramcius »

Agree, so put more effort in looking towny/become easier to handle and there will be no toxicity in mafia
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #310 (ISO) » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:24 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

thinking...
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
CheekyTeeky
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #311 (ISO) » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:29 pm

Post by CheekyTeeky »

In post 304, Psyche wrote:the dream would be to track smaller scale but still concrete stuff than win/lose so people have clearer feedback on skills they can improve on or are good at and maybe on a larger scale get a better idea of what makes someone good at mafia
This is a great idea.
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #312 (ISO) » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:13 pm

Post by rb »

a lot of people seem to get toxic when they feel misunderstood or attacked for no good reason. fairly hard to reach consensus on what exactly is good reason or an attack though in a game like mafia

i've been pretty toxic in the past in mafia and i still feel bad about it to this day because above all it should be an enjoyable experience for the people involved. i don't think i'm toxic anymore and i just have a different idea about what mafia is, i guess. also in a very different life headspace though
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #313 (ISO) » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:34 pm

Post by Jingle »

In post 8, Flavor Leaf wrote:Like don’t get me wrong, I very much wanna make those star making plays, but I wanna see other people make those plays too, and I wanna battle against their plays with my own plays.

If they win, I’ll learn from it, try a different approach next time, and vice versa.
I see mafia the same way I see EDH in magic. It's not about winning or losing. It's not even really about being good. It's about having a game both factions can be proud of at the end. If I build a ridiculous combo deck and win all of my games, I still won't have as much fun as that one time that someone radiated a chaos warp and we had to shuffle 100 card decks 89 times, despite the fact that it was a completely ridiculous game with a bunch of garbage-y cards.

Similarly, my favorite times in mafia are things like outed scum trolling the thread after successfully faking a guilty or exceptional gambits paying off. Solving the puzzle is fun. Winning the game is fun. But it's worthless if you don't enjoy the people you're with because having fun with those people is the reason to play mafia instead of whatever video game is your choice.
This is a Parachute.
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #314 (ISO) » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:42 am

Post by Klick »

+1
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #315 (ISO) » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:14 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

Whenever people lack complete empathy and think the world revolves around them. That’s the difference between ego and insanity.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #316 (ISO) » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:49 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 307, Menalque wrote:Hypothesis: toxicity increases exponentially when the response to not knowing how to handle someone is defaulting to a SR instead of a TR/sort later mentality
I feel like I get more toxic when people put me in null because they don't want to handle me then give me arbitrarily bad town or scum reads.

I feel as though I enjoy scumreads most of the time unless I expect the person I am playing with to think my actions should be null at best though. So :shrug:
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
profii
profii
Jack of All Trades
profii
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #317 (ISO) » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:08 am

Post by profii »

In post 307, Menalque wrote:Hypothesis: toxicity increases exponentially when the response to not knowing how to handle someone is defaulting to a SR instead of a TR/sort later mentality
I did this in the game you modded

I never played with skitter or pops before and I didnt find they play style to radiate town anywhere near as much as everyone else in the thread so I was hella confused and it really drove me to scum read skitter in particular which probably came across toxically (or at least I felt it did) (hurrah for making up words!)

In the end it turned out that penguin fake claim was just causing friction amongst the town and because I wanted to deal with that weird roles by lynching a PR earlier than anyone else - that was probably one of the root causes of that episode

So sorry pops and skitter:D
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #318 (ISO) » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:45 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 317, profii wrote:

I never played with skitter or pops before and I didnt find they play style to radiate town anywhere near as much as everyone else in the thread so I was hella confused and it really drove me to scum read skitter in particular which probably came across toxically (or at least I felt it did) (hurrah for making up words!)

In the end it turned out that penguin fake claim was just causing friction amongst the town and because I wanted to deal with that weird roles by lynching a PR earlier than anyone else - that was probably one of the root causes of that episode

Hypothesis, there are toxic players, and self-aware players concerned they are being toxic, and no overlap between these two groups.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
profii
profii
Jack of All Trades
profii
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #319 (ISO) » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:49 pm

Post by profii »

:)
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #320 (ISO) » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:45 pm

Post by Enter »

In post 318, popsofctown wrote:
In post 317, profii wrote:

Hypothesis, there are toxic players, and self-aware players concerned they are being toxic, and no overlap between these two groups.
p sure i am both toxic and self-aware of this
is cancelled. Apologies to all who signed up.[/color]
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #321 (ISO) » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:59 pm

Post by Krazy »

I think toxicity is also directly tied to saying literally anything other than "gg" when a game is over
vote conspiracy
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #322 (ISO) » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:24 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 0, Alisae wrote:is from the game itself.
Its not fun.
It pisses people off.
It doesn't work as a competative game or a fun party game.

In a competative video game, you have a clear chance to just whoop some ass if you are a good player.
Do you really have that option in Mafia?

In a fun party game, your friends can get into it and, have fun.
But in Mafia, what happens is you get into fights and get mad at each other and start yellin.
The only time you get to really connect with your friends is when you're shitposting memes and literally not playing mafia.

And then you get to late game where honestly, no one really cares at all they just want the game to be over because the game has just gone on for way too long.
GTKAS
| here.
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #323 (ISO) » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:00 pm

Post by Ramcius »

In post 321, Krazy wrote:I think toxicity is also directly tied to saying literally anything other than "gg" when a game is over
:lol:
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #324 (ISO) » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:54 am

Post by chkflip »

In post 321, Krazy wrote:I think toxicity is also directly tied to saying literally anything other than "gg" when a game is over
Preach.
"Fuck you. I opened up my heart to you and you stabbed it a thousand times." - Gamma, to me, right before confessing to being the town vig and murdering my scum partner N1.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”