Zero Escape

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #151 (isolation #0) » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:31 pm

Post by northsidegal »

anyone here play AI: The Somnium Files? feels fitting here rather than creating an entire new thread.

i'm pretty proud that i solved the mystery before it was revealed but maybe everyone did.

also aiba is the best.
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #153 (isolation #1) » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:32 pm

Post by northsidegal »

Spoiler: response
you're playing in the same order i played! don't worry, honestly i've seen some discussion about it and thought about it myself and i think that it's the best order to follow, although it's obviously very possible that i'm biased.

any more theories on what's going on? i'm just interested to hear more about what you're thinking so far from someone who's gone down the same path i did. i've seen one other person who played the same route i did and it was pretty interesting hearing her thoughts, especially compared to what i was thinking at the time!

and yeah, it was first getting to mayumi's somnium that really vindicated the whole concept for me.

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #155 (isolation #2) » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:34 pm

Post by northsidegal »

it's a little bit of a different experience. i think a lot of the charm of the zero escape games is both the setting mystery (e.g. where you are, how you got there, why you're there, what's going on, etc) as well as the individual mysteries and fantastical elements that get brought up frequently and keep you wondering. staying very general, i'd say that AI is a lot more focused in its mystery, as well as really being more about the cast of characters (there's also the fact that it's not a "wake up in a mysterious location" mystery. have i said mystery enough?).

anyways, i think it's good, and probably better than ztd. get it for aiba, she's great.

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #157 (isolation #3) » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:03 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 156, CaptainMeme wrote:
In post 153, northsidegal wrote:
Spoiler: response
you're playing in the same order i played! don't worry, honestly i've seen some discussion about it and thought about it myself and i think that it's the best order to follow, although it's obviously very possible that i'm biased.

any more theories on what's going on? i'm just interested to hear more about what you're thinking so far from someone who's gone down the same path i did. i've seen one other person who played the same route i did and it was pretty interesting hearing her thoughts, especially compared to what i was thinking at the time!

and yeah, it was first getting to mayumi's somnium that really vindicated the whole concept for me.
Spoiler: very spoilery response
So, right now I'm working on the storyline that involves a frozen Iris corpse that mysteriously disappeared and somehow she's still alive. I think this current line is the one that's confusing me most so I'm just going to ignore it for the moment while writing this :D

A theory I've had from very early on is that Date was the original Cyclops killer - it makes sense with the missing eyeball, the loss of memory 6 years ago, and Aiba's constant references to increasing his medication dosage that he always reacts in a shocked way too. Somehow they wiped his memories and use Aiba to keep him in check (although this doesn't explain how they dealt with him for the first year).
The whole #89 story throws that off a bit, but I think the original theory was close. Date's original Somnium was the scene where Iris' mother gets shot in the shoulder, which was where the assassin sent to kill #89 barged into the house - which indicates that Date is that assassin. I don't think that entirely rules out the possibility that Date is the OG Cyclops killer too because #89's story doesn't seem to entirely match up with the description Pewter gave of the killer.

That... doesn't really help with the new Cyclops killings though, because I seriously doubt Date is doing any of those. It's pretty clear that the mutual connection between everyone and everything is the Kumakura gang, but they don't have a good reason to be committing these murders nor do they seem like the kind of people who would (and yes, I know they're Yakuza :D ). Iris is definitely in on it, I'm tempted to say to the point that she was in on her own death in the cold storage warehouse, given that she took the knife from Ota's mother - but I think she's an accomplice rather than the actual killer. That leads me to suspect her mother, because her mother had a very good reason to be angry at the Kumakuras (them going after #89) and killing off people who worked with them, in their own style, seems like something she might do in revenge. The question is really could she have been able to fight off Ota in that Polar Bear costume with her arm like that, and more to the point, would she really have killed her own daughter with the ice cutting machine?

And I have no idea where So Sejima fits into all of this. He said 'killed by your own father' when he shot me so I assume he's Date's dad, but I don't see how that ties into everything. Overall I think I've still got a loooong way to go :D
Spoiler: response, random musings
funnily enough, i actually never saw that line from so when i played, only from seeing other people discuss it.

anyways, keep going! i think the right path has a bit of a different tone than the left one, interested to hear more when you get further in. also, this is a bit random, but i felt like the localization was worse in the right path than in the left path. have you noticed anything similar? i can elaborate more if you don't have any idea what i'm talking about. (this is not a spoiler thing at all)

things fall apart

Return to “The Arcade”