Song Contest 146 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #6 (isolation #0) » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:38 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 5, Amrun wrote:Seriously though I wanna go along with the theme - which is metal, right?
it could also be the reggae contest
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #65 (isolation #1) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:47 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 64, Cyril wrote:very bad contest. had to give points to two mediocre songs.
dahling please, giving points to two mediocre songs is pretty standard

I've finished my first pass. I think this contest is slightly better than average, although tbh my idea of the average is pretty low.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #71 (isolation #2) » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:54 pm

Post by Vi »

Second pass done. The entries fell into five tidy tiers, and deciding the order was pretty tough in each of them. I'll revise my earlier statement to saying this contest is unambiguously above average.

Spoiler: throwing out the numeric ratings because they're not really helpful except to say that the tiers aren't close together
|
|
---TIER: POINTS!

(12) POLAND -- Fozzy {Judas}
-- Definitely the best music video. Another song that's suitably intense with the euphony I always hope for. No complaints; please send more.

(10) HUNGARY -- Siddharta {Nastalo bo}
-- Very smooth, and that synth feels like all the Eurosongs I should feel more embarrassed about enjoying. I was afraid the vocals would ruin it, but they fit in quite well. I want to say that I'm getting tired of hearing metal, but that's not really this entry's fault. This is a rather well-done ordinary song though.

(8) MADAGASCAR -- Babymetal {Distortion}
-- If you told me this was something out of IIDX (ported to DDR) I would believe you. I suppose that gives away that this isn't too far from what I have a bundle of experience listening to anyway? I normally complain that songs aren't intense enough, but this qualifies. It's further out of my comfort zone than the entries above it, but I am still deeply sad that this is only getting 8 points.

===TIER: POINTS

(7) DJIBOUTI -- The Dali Thundering Concept {The Myth of Happiness}
-- This is probably the
funniest
song in this genre so far, beating out the intense small dick energy of the A Day to Remember entry from a few contests back. I'm overrating this highly for how staggeringly stupid it is, but I mean, get those points one way or another I guess. It IS pretty accessible for this genre, I suppose. Also I feel like this song is bait for a really, really awful Aggretsuko crossover.

(6) ASGARDIA -- lezbeepic {Stereo Sayan 3D [lezbeepic Remix]}
-- I suppose this does qualify as music under the rules. Still, I laughed. If you can't submit something good, getting me to laugh is a good alternative goal. Would I listen to this sooner than I would the entries below it on this list? Honestly, yes.

(5) LIECHTENSTEIN -- Slash ft. Miles Kennedy & The Conspirators {World on Fire}
-- Can confirm this is something I'd expect my father to listen to. Come to think of it maybe I should recommend it to him. These vocals don't do it for me but this is generally okay, notwithstanding that I feel like I've heard it before somewhere in the Guns 'n' Roses/Velvet Revolver catalog.

(4) ICELAND -- Devin Townsend {Why?}
-- This feels like something where if I told someone that I liked a single Blind Guardian song, they would smarmily suggest that I'd like this. It feels like the more obnoxious kind of novelty song, with shades of the talent that could produce something better. Like if it was just the second half I would rate it way higher; as it is I'm strongly tempted to throw it in the next tier down.

===TIER: POINTS.

(3) USA -- Four Year Strong {It's Cool}
-- It sounds decent but it doesn't really do a lot for me. It's the kind of generic that I want to throw out for a novelty entry.

(2) GREENLAND -- The Republic of Wolves {Oarsman}
-- Possibly the most mainstream harsh vocals. It sounded slightly better than okay for longer than it really had to. The song strikes me as very, very white.

(1) NIGER -- Blindspott {Nil by mouth}
-- This is actually kind of okay. I would still be embarrassed to listen to it in public though. Why is the guy vomiting on the microphone and calling it the song's hook?

---TIER: NO POINTS

SUDAN -- Lingua Ignota {MAY FAILURE BE YOUR NOOSE}
-- This is my pick for "song that places 3rd or something in this contest for reasons I don't understand". I don't actually hate the distortion or really anything about this; I just don't particularly feel anything positive toward about it. The titles of the tracks in the related videos are A++.

TANZANIA -- Coheed and Cambria {The Crowing}

COSTA RICA -- Gogol Bordello {Dogs were Barking}
-- It feels like an excellent Eurovision entry. Honestly if it was the second half the whole way through it would probably get a higher rating.

TRANSNISTRIA -- Avantasia {Death is Just a Feeling}
-- Here's a band YouTube has been recommending to me recently. This feels like something where if I told someone (in this case YouTube) that I liked a single Blind Guardian song, they would earnestly suggest that I'd like this. Also the chair of Level 99 Games just said this was one of their favorite bands, which... well, see rating.

===TIER: NO POINTS.

CHAD -- My Analog Journal {70's Turkish Anatolian Rock Vinyl Set}
-- This is what I would hear if the Indian co-worker who sits behind me plays their music too loud, and they listened to something remotely modern.

TURKEY -- Eyes of the Defiled {Apokalypsis}

NEW ZEALAND -- Chimpanzilla vs. Virt vs. Timmy Trumpet & Savage {FreakzWaltz}
-- Novelty entry with a smooth feel and a beat? Yeah, this one's mine. When I watched a playthrough of Crypt of the NecroDancer's Repainted Mod, this part concerned me because... it was actually good. Seriously, this is better than all three of its component parts. (How did Freaks get to be #1 in New Zealand? What the heck does sheepshagging do to your brain; it's awful.)

Uh this is the only part of the Repainted soundtrack I'd recommend. If I *had* to recommend another BGM it would be 5-3, but etc.

FWIW, NecroDancer is a complete and enjoyable game without the Amplified DLC; I don't think the game with Amplified is qualitatively better or worse than the base game. Musically, though, you're only missing Notorious D.I.G. and Funk Fiction's three contributions to the OC Remix.
Last edited by Vi on Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #73 (isolation #3) » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:05 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 64, Cyril wrote:very bad contest
I decided to organize my thoughts on this and tier the contests I've participated in. Yes yes difficult to do when there are many metrics one can rank by but etc.

Great

144 (2020 February) - Chico Buarque "Construção"

Good

141 (2019 December [Christmas Contest I]) - Edison Glass "Let Go"
136 (2019 September) - Myrath "Endure the Silence"
146 (2020 March) - This one!
145 (2020 February) - The Protomen "The Hounds"

Mediocre

142 (2019 December-2020 January [Christmas Contest II]) - Billie Eilish "When the Party's Over"
143 (2020 January) - Jason Richardson & Luke Holland feat. Rick Graham "Hos Down"

Torture

140 (2019 November) - Ghost "Cirice"
139 (2019 November) - Jump, Little Children "Cathedrals"
137 (2019 September/October) - BROTHERS OF METAL "Yggdrasil"
138 (2019 October) - きのこ帝国 「パラノイドパレード」

I'm glad I entered with 136 because immediately after that the contest was an
ordeal
for a subjective eternity.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #78 (isolation #4) » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:57 am

Post by Vi »

In post 75, PJ. wrote:Oh hey, I won the one you liked the least. That's pretty cool.
I gave it my 3. God Module and E-dub weren't enough to salvage six atrocious crimes against decency at the bottom.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #86 (isolation #5) » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:06 am

Post by Vi »

(I on the other hand hate the hard limits to my freedom that come with being on deadline.)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #107 (isolation #6) » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:00 am

Post by Vi »

I have been forsaken by Looker and pops

but yeah the whole novelty entry thing wasn't as exciting as I was hoping. I'll have to settle for overrating other peoples' ironically unlistenable entries.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #112 (isolation #7) » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:38 pm

Post by Vi »

All right, I'm here.

SHEEPLE

VashtaNeurotic
|
Formerfish
schadd_
|
[3/4 sheep]

Cyril
Panzerjager
|
|
Amrun
[midpoint AKA Keke]

Dr Easy Bake
toolenduso
pickemgenius = ceejayvinoya
|
Plotinus
Vi
[3/4 snow]

|
|
Xtoxm
SNOWFLAKE

Sorry panda. VN voted for both Asgardia and New Zealand, and still managed to have the lowest disparity by a large margin.

----

Reciprocity...

TEAM EASY EXISTENTIAL BABYCORE - Panzerjager <-> pickemgenius <-> Dr Easy Bake
TEAM WIRES (PRONOUNCED WHY-OARS) - Cyril <-> ceejayvinoya
TEAM HUNGARIAN HEEL - Plotinus <-> VashtaNeurotic

Me and Xtoxm don't qualify but considering how things worked out we should probably go out for drinks.

Return to “General Discussion”