Other metaphors for the game of mafia

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Other metaphors for the game of mafia

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:41 pm

Post by popsofctown »

This was sparked by a thread ~somewhere~ but this is something I think about a lot anyway. Mountainous mafia's core mechanics are a group with discussion capabilities and a democratic ability to remove another players <discussion capabilities and democratic capability> one at a time in alternation with a secret subset having the ability to undemocratically remove one player's <discussion capabilities and democratic capability>, until all the secret or nonsecret people can't vote. It's not inherently violent. But since removed players remove all abilities they have to speak of, it's not unexpected that death is the metaphor that became popular for that function, it's a common, arguably lazy metaphor adopted by many games for describing that a particular player has lost all influence over the game.

The default metaphor is a village of people who can extrajudicially murder those among them with sufficient democratic consensus, on suspicion of being part of a secret group of people who murder others at night, either as members of organized crime, or a werewolf pack.
The default metaphor sucks a little bit for a few reasons:
1) Some alternatives might fare no better, but they sometimes require some of suspension of disbelief. If the villagers don't care about rule of law anyway, why don't they torture one Mafiosi to learn the others? Why don't they use a jail cell in place of death to keep this option on the table? Heck, why don't they volunteer to sleep in a jail cell if the odds of getting murdered at night is so high? With Werewolves, why not put them in shackles, verify they are werewolves when they transform, then kill them? And why don't multiple werewolves have multiple kills per night? (the mafia is an "organization" and gets somewhat more of a pass, there).
2) Group extrajudicial murder is bad in principle. In practice historically it has been used in accordance with prejudices rather than a tool that punished crimes (with an ultimate punishment that is now controversial or condemned even judicially). Nightly individual murder is also bad, creating a game with no protagonists. "Tragic heroes" in art can be well done, but this is not that.
3)
The metaphor poorly reflects the win conditions of the game
. It is likely the case that the metaphor accurately reflects the game's older, commonly understood win condition, or even what you can encounter that some casual party game players perceive as the win condition: that only living players can win. Well, now I'm not sure, chicken or the egg, on whether the metaphor leads to that misconception, or a previous conception led to the metaphor. But saying a dead townie has "won" is a bit presumptive about his/her/their moral code, some people are in it for themselves. Similarly, organized criminals often betray loyalty to avoid jail time, let alone death, so it is confusing for a dead Mafiosi to be considered a winner (though, with the level of fanaticism implied by "Cults", this works much better).
4) It's maybe kind of violent. Does everything have to be violent? This one's a bit more subjective.

I like hearing of and thinking about other metaphors for mafia. My last mini theme I ran, I used very different explanations for why each player lost their voice and their vote, and it grew on me pretty rapidly. "Purgatory" has its own metaphor, with less of the details on how the democracy works but a gratifying finality to decisions.

I'm hoping to hear people's ideas and brainstorms for how they've made metaphors that work or fit well (used and unused in game). Most metaphors won't fit perfectly one way or the other, but coming up with ways they can fit the mechanics is fun.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:50 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Here is the one I thought of:
An extremely talented Broadway company is premiering a brand new show at the end of the year. The company is full of headline actors that make every show the company has performed a success. It's won best show each year for the past five years. In fact, bookies are starting to take bets whether the company wins yet again.
There are whispers that there may be a conspiracy to "throw" the premiere with deliberately substandard acting to abuse the steep odds available in the bets. The show's director is in on it.
The company is unionized, and as a result of collective bargaining is able to discharge other actors for "personality conflicts" but only once per fiscal period. The director's creative control lets him release actors from the show, but since the producer has to pay them anyway he'll only tolerate it once per fiscal period.
All of the actors are so incredible that just one original company member supported by adequate understudies the producer is forced to contract can win the award for the year, preserving the reputation of the company. But if any actor who is part of the conspiracy to ruin the show is still a part of the cast, they will ruin the show, jeopardizing the long term careers of the honest cast members and cashing out bets that set them up for life.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (isolation #2) » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:57 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I think you know that's not what I'm looking for
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (isolation #3) » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:16 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Amongst the violent metaphors, I would be most interested in ones where the moral code or allegiance of the deceased entities can make it seem they've still "won". Pirates don't score great in that regard. It explains the missing judiciary institution well, it can be granted that.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (isolation #4) » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:25 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Yeah there's no reason the informed minority have to be the bad guys. I like dominant religion/suppressed religion a good bit more.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (isolation #5) » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:18 am

Post by popsofctown »

I liked both of those
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (isolation #6) » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:32 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I vaguely wondered about, what if the minority were the good guys, but that's a more developed version of the idea that I didn't arrive at. That works pretty well. Did you have something other than death for the lynch flavor?
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (isolation #7) » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:40 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I like that one
"Well, I..."

Return to “Mafia Discussion”