new fire emblem fuck yeah.

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #20 (isolation #0) » Fri May 20, 2016 6:12 am

Post by Vi »

1) Birthright has nothing on Conquest.
2) Which part are you having trouble with - the ninja in the middle, or the apothecaries above them?

Once I finish the run I'm doing now I'm considering seeing if people here would be interested in a draft, probably of Conquest Normal.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #23 (isolation #1) » Fri May 20, 2016 7:33 am

Post by Vi »

Conquest has the best game design by a large margin, but is also the toughest for the same reason.

Birthright is the photonegative of that statement. :/ I don't want to suggest people aren't allowed to like it, but I don't.

For completeness, a lot of people hate Revelation but playing it blind Lunatic no-grind LTC was fun. Removing any of those qualifiers may have changed my mind though. (I'm not trying to brag with that statement; Conquest Hard - which I tried first and got walloped by - is tougher than the other two routes' Lunatic modes.)

@Spiffeh - Purchasing Conquest as Birthright DLC = discount plus other freebies.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #25 (isolation #2) » Fri May 20, 2016 2:49 pm

Post by Vi »

To be fair, this isn't the kind of genre where one-unit runs are interesting to start with <.<
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #30 (isolation #3) » Sun May 22, 2016 3:13 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 29, Hanasawa wrote:I took a gamble to think that one site would have the special edition after.
You're PAL, right? I heard that sold out in a few hours.
I still need to buy conquest OOPS

LEO IM SORRY
YOU CAN'T HIDE FROM HIM
I thought birthright was plenty hard and had the more interesting characters, beside carmella or w/e oppai dragon ladies name is
Really enjoying birthright so far, characters are great.
all fair
but
burning question: is rinkah one of your favorites

rinkah favoritism is something to get heated over
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #35 (isolation #4) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:26 pm

Post by Vi »

Takumi is a fucking asshat, and i love it when i get to murder him repeatedly chapter after chapter.
Tacomeat is great though. He's a much better character in this game than he is in Birthright.
(Plus I love how Fates not only has the guts to make a Sniper a boss, but makes that Sniper one of the most tactically interesting bosses in the series.)
In post 34, Heat wrote:I hate the hinoka fights though, i always feel kinda bad
Oh the Hinoka fights do make you feel bad, but not necessarily for sentimental reasons. :?
I think Hinoka round 2 is the hardest boss in Conquest.

--

Also I'm near the end of Conquest Lunatic and, um, I can see why the people who tried playing this blind have an unrelenting hatred for this game. As for my part, I think I'm just going to go ahead and get it over with. Siegbert's paralogue gives me Advance Wars 1 Advance Campaign flashbacks; it might be one of the most legitimately difficult levels in the series. Eight hours later I'm going to say I tried so hard and got so far, and in the end the kid doesn't even matter. (He's worse than my Percy statwise and comes at a higher level; why am I doing this to myself)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #36 (isolation #5) » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:10 am

Post by Vi »

In post 35, Vi wrote:Also I'm near the end of Conquest Lunatic and, um, I can see why the people who tried playing this blind have an unrelenting hatred for this game. As for my part, I think I'm just going to go ahead and get it over with. Siegbert's paralogue gives me Advance Wars 1 Advance Campaign flashbacks; it might be one of the most legitimately difficult levels in the series. Eight hours later I'm going to say I tried so hard and got so far, and in the end the kid doesn't even matter. (He's worse than my Percy statwise and comes at a higher level; why am I doing this to myself)
Update: Just beat Conquest Endgame. That
sucked
, although admittedly trusting Arthur with a Brave Axe was not the most pragmatic decision I've made. It's actually not a bad map in the sense that it really is a last stand - whatever you use and whoever you sacrifice doesn't matter as long as you hit the win condition and (Classic Mode) Corrin lives through it, so sell everything, buy all the tonics and the fancy weapons, and get whoever you can ready for some brutal staff-to-staff combat.

Spoiler: The final score:
*Nohr Noble Kana (via Elise): Could block two enemies in Chapter 26. Three could hit her.
*Paladin Corrin - +Str -Def. Spent basically all of the fracas hiding so he couldn't be dragged down by Enfeeble. 26 damage on the final boss was pretty cool and he dealt the first and last hit, although I couldn't get him to double.
*Paladin Siegbert - Originally supposed to fill in for Kana, but turned out better since he was a 9-move ferrybot. Got two crucial kills out of him, one being the Hexing Rod luser.
*Berserker Percy (via Effie) - Arthur without the downsides is so good. Did a fair amount of heavy lifting in the middle of the map, and also doubled as Arthur's shield.
*Sorcerer Ophelia (via Felicia) - The only survivor of the massacre at the end, because Vantage + forged Mjolnir + Vengeance. Even if you don't go full Numbers Emblem on her, as long as she inherits Vantage she's kind of ridiculous.
*Onmyoji Izana - Hid behind Ophelia the whole time. He had Enfeeble and Heal but he found a better use.
*Strategist Felicia - Failed to dodge two Silver Shirukens at 33% (Shirukenbreaker + Gate - Enfeeble) on Turn 3. She had all four breakers, but the last bit of the map is full of lances so I don't know what else she could have done had she lived. Held Enfeeble.
*Wyvern Lord Camilla - Got Enfeebled, and then blown up by a Malig Knight on like Turn 4. The original wielder of the Brave Axe, and I burned my only charge of Rescue getting her back after having her knock out the nearest Maid on Turn 1.
*Wyvern Lord Beruka - Filler + Rally Defense person. Got destroyed as a decoy on Turn 5.
*Songstress Azura - Actually got a kill supporting Odin while he did 0 damage to something. Got destroyed as a decoy on Turn 5.
*Sorcerer Odin - I think he actually got one kill on this map, not including the one where Azura helped. Got destroyed as a decoy on Turn 5.
*Maid Flora - Entrap + Freeze duty. Got destroyed as a decoy on Turn 5.
*Strategist Elise - Awful Skill meant that she was better off using Freeze. Got destroyed as a decoy on Turn 6 (thanks Arthur).
*Paladin Xander - Somehow didn't get Enfeebled much over the course of the battle, but he couldn't do much to the final boss, so he got killed by a rogue Bow Knight on Turn 6.
*Paladin Silas - Xander's pair-up. Didn't have a chance once Xander fell. Gave the final boss half their health back because of Lifetaker on Turn 6, which was really not what I needed.
*Adventurer Anna - Because Shining Bow at 33 Mag, plus no one cared enough about her to Enfeeble her. Died removing the final boss's Dual Guard on Player Phase 7.
*Berserker Arthur - Could have ended the battle on Turn 6 if he had connected with two of the three Brave Axe hits on the final boss (61% Hit, 29% crit). Instead he got one, and died getting countered after hitting hard with Berserker's Axe on Player Phase 7.

Izana - 0/0 - base level
Azura - 4/1 - ended at Lv. 30
Siegbert - 8/7 - Fifth to hit level cap
Flora - 42/22 - ended at Lv. 9
Kana - 47/28 - was at like Lv. 14 or something
Percy - 59/36 - ended at Lv. 19
Anna - 81/51 - ended at Lv. 14 or so
Ophelia - 89/58 - Fourth to hit level cap
Beruka - 114/60 - ended at Lv. 13
Camilla - 144/78 - ended at Lv. 19
Elise - 151/89 - ended at Lv. 17
Silas - 160/92 - ended at Lv. 15
Arthur - 200/102 - ended at Lv. 19
Xander - 205/102 - Third to hit level cap
Felicia - 230/146 - First to hit level cap
Corrin - 266/149 - Second to hit level cap
Odin - 293/131 - ended at Lv. 15
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #37 (isolation #6) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:25 am

Post by Vi »

Bumping this thread like I own this site.
In post 83, Andrius wrote:
In post 82, Vi wrote:Fates in particular probably has the best game mechanics in the series.
I know the Official Fire Emblem thread is dead (my GTKAS) but I'd love to hear your reasoning to this.
If the answer is 'Conquest', I'll just take you on your word as that's the only story I haven't played and have no intentions on doing so.
I've basically heard Conquest is the only challenging game mode if and of itself, but there are other things that just turn me off to Conquest.
Even aside Conquest, the Skill system is rad, the stances make gameplay fun if you're not playing Backpack Emblem, and Heart Seals are fun to play around with. There are absolutely flaws with it (ninjas suck in every game for one reason or another) but I think in the end it probably noses out the Tellius games simply because units don't have to be confined to one role (and plus I feel like the Tellius games wasted potential in some fronts).

Also if you like every other game in the series and you didn't like BR/Rev you'd probably like Conquest quite a bit? You don't have to play it on the highest difficulty; that stuff gets unreasonable near endgame and CQ Hard is more engaging than the other two routes by a wide margin.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #40 (isolation #7) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:42 am

Post by Vi »

I tried getting through Thracia but Manster really, really, sucks and by the time I got to the level after the gaiden after Carrion shows up I was completely out of fs to give about any of it. It's a shame because I really like the Capture mechanic.

The Tellius games are my favorites by a huge margin! (to such an extent that I ran two Mafia games in that setting <.<) IMO Path of Radiance is a lot more interesting if you don't use bonus experience, so yeah.

Awakening is okay. Fates Conquest is super-cool IMO, and you can decide whether you want to dump $40 more on it (knowing you've seen the best of it) afterward.
I think in an interview I read the producers started realizing people always restarted when a character died and begun to adjust the gameplay around fire emblem 6.
I'm pretty sure anyone who tries to no-reset FE5 is out of their mind. Fates is also really, really not designed for this. But the rest, yeah, it's pretty hard to get into a truly unwinnable situation.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #44 (isolation #8) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:07 am

Post by Vi »

In post 41, Andrius wrote:Ninjas are fast but no ninja has a decent enough strength growth to actually be useful. I feel like there are fewer actually good classes, even if Snipers are back to their RD-era level of absolute amazingness.
Saizo and Kagero are wondering wtf you're going on about. Kagero in particular stands out because her personal Str growth is 65%(!!). Also enemy Ninjas are total bollocks.

Conquest also has the best music if that helps. And ODIN DARK. I think you'd appreciate him even if he's kind of rubbish as a unit.

FE4 is a load of fun the first time and I adore the Game of Thrones plot in the first gen and how it tries to troll you in increasingly ludicrous ways in Gen 2, but it's so slow that I don't think I'd play it again.

FE8 is... well, it is. It was my first FE, and I liked it then, but had I played FE7 first I wouldn't have cared much for it. It felt really unmemorable, and I think a lot of that had to do with the monsters and the rushed pace of the plot. Ephraim and Innes were cool, though.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #46 (isolation #9) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:17 am

Post by Vi »

I'd put Path of Radiance over Radiant Dawn without a second thought; A Grasping Truth isn't going to make up for all the short-looping songs and the dull stuff like the dark level theme. I'll have to get back to you on Fates vs. Awakening, since both of them had sweet standout songs (Prelude, Divine Decree, Chaos, map theme, ...., "Run All You Like" vs. Road Taken, Dusk Falls, No Justice, Past Below, Alight, A Dark Fall, Glory/Ruin). I think Fates wins slightly on those, but nothing in Fates beats Don't Speak Her Name!.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #51 (isolation #10) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:28 am

Post by Vi »

In post 47, Andrius wrote:I never use Saizo. Mainly because his child is Gaius and I dislike the redone child characters. Kaze has no strength and my Kagero always turns out bad. Always. Luckily she makes a good wife for Ryoma becausr I have no idea what to do with him. shrug Enemy Ninjas are indeed the worst.

I actually dislike Odin. The only time I liked him was his S Support with Nah because shes like treat me like a woman not like a child. I have a hard time finding male characters I like in the recent games. :/

At least Laslow has Peri for best support of heartwarming.
The Awakening trio is so much better in Fates than they were in their original game. I'd give them a chance. Asugi is indeed a catastrophic failure of writing and makes me curse all fanservice forever. Caeldori and Rhajat are okay.

Ryoma's wife can be anyone who can handle THE LOBSTER.
FE 4 can be super slow. I liked it for the first generation; the second generation had the terrible desert map which was almost unbearable though Shanan was amazing. I got to the last chapter but never finished it.
The desert Chapter is slow but fortunately you don't really have to spend much time actually doing desert things. The last boss of that Chapter is bullshit though.
Radiant Dawn had some great music (The Devoted, Ascension or whatever the tower battle theme was)
The battle themes are fine, but I spend more time listening to the map themes :/
I love Justice RIP
I will fight you.
but I still cant stomach that storyline
Conquest's plot is better as a drinking game.
And, again, killing Scarlet would break my poor heart.
In fairness, Scarlet stands a good chance of breaking your poor heart without you killing her. She's quite a threat.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #54 (isolation #11) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:32 am

Post by Vi »

In post 53, RadiantCowbells wrote:We need to get Raskolnikov in here for his opinion on Sorrowful Prince Pelleas.
Good song.
Actually most of the cutscene music is good in RD. Except for what they did to Sanaki's Theme and
Pirates of the
Tibarn's theme.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #57 (isolation #12) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:48 am

Post by Vi »

In post 55, Andrius wrote:Oh also Yuri Lowenthal best voice for Corrin makes me happy hes in both this and XCX.
I'm not good for voice actors. Which voice is this? (2 is best for both sexes; 3 is second place for both)
Of all the things relates to FE you want to fite me over JUSTICE RIP? WHAT
It's as dull, tedious, and unfortunately obligatory as all of Japan's self-inserts.
That said, it's useful in that it plays in all the dull, tedious, and unfortunately obligatory Chapters so you know within seconds what you've gotten into.

Conquest also has JUSTICE in its most manly form, if it helps.
Last edited by Vi on Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #58 (isolation #13) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:54 am

Post by Vi »

In post 53, RadiantCowbells wrote:The only songs from PoR that truly stood out for me were Father's Back, Rally the Spirit, and the Daein/Ashnard/Black Knight themed musics.
All of the royals' themes, all of the overworld map themes (except the last one, which was hammy), all of the battle map themes, and yes, the music for Ashnard being evil. Like respect Congregation of Ambition that song was so good.

I don't feel like it's useful to compare the music from before FE9 because of the technical limitations. A good FE8 song can't hold a candle to later songs simply because it's in MIDI and the games after that were
orchestrated
in a literal sense of the word. That said, if we're going back that far, I'm nominating:
*FE8: Follow Me!
*FE8: Truth, Despair, and Hope
*FE6: the gaiden theme
*FE4: the themes to Ch.s 2, 3, and 10
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #61 (isolation #14) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:07 am

Post by Vi »

In post 59, Andrius wrote:I caved in for a 14hour airplane flight.
I feel your pain so much on this. I got Planet Robobot for mine, and I couldn't keep playing it long enough to make the flight bearable.

Spoiler: side note that should probably be in a different thread
I came away from Robobot thinking the Kirby series should either
1) give in and become a Real Shmup
2) give in and become Majora's Mask
3) die immediately
because they basically did everything short of outright say they had no new ideas besides "robots are cool".

IDK. I think the FE series is constantly reinventing itself, and we should be grateful for the times when they figure out how to do something right. Even the Tellius series had some blatant and unjustifiable weak points. Although I don't think they're going to give up on the low-grade waifu simulation any time soon since, let's face it, that's what saved the franchise.

If Conquest wasn't fun to play I would probably have given up on the franchise. :/
No Doors of Destiny? (5 in case you can't recall)
It felt really heavy, and the chords at the beginning of the loop are too angsty for how often they play. It definitely does give you the impression that you're heading for bad news, though.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #63 (isolation #15) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:56 am

Post by Vi »

In post 62, RadiantCowbells wrote:I think Radiant Dawn was the end of Fire Emblem being a truly cinematographic experience.
But fanservice! Why make huge 300-style battle scenes when you can spend that time animating cleavage? (While I stand by being nonsexual and understand that there was a lack of gender diversity in these scenes, I gotta say the laguz were hawt.)

After listening to the Awakening soundtrack again I'm really starting to waver on my Fates OST > Awakening OST stance. I think that a lot of the player phase songs sound really samey, and that probably contributed to my original rating, but I didn't hate any of the songs, which is more than I can say for Fates.

I'll probably listen to Fates' OST to be sure since it's also fantastic on the whole and it conveys a lot more variety than Awakening, but etc.

Also hearing the original Id ~ Purpose reminds me of just how awful the Smash arrange was.
Don't get me wrong, I love Morgan and Brady.
excoos me there is a strong lack of Lucina in this sentence

tbeh I didn't get most of the children in Awakening - partly because grinding and partly because I felt like it cheapened the first generation - and it's my understanding that I didn't miss much.

On that note, the one thing I got out of Heirs of Fate (Fates DLC) - besides the awesome Vs. Player Character battle theme - was that the second gen of Fates really should have had their own game. I mean, how can you turn down the excellent adventures of Frat Bro Lord, Fabulous Contempful Cross-Dressing Lord, Wannabe Protagonist Who's Way Out of His Depth Lord, and Adorkable Comic Relief Lord with a side order of Shade-Throwing Plot Device Man Who Should Get His Ass Handed To Him? It's all the comedy and personality conflict you could want, all in one place.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #66 (isolation #16) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:55 am

Post by Vi »

Path of Radiance is a good start, yeah.

Otherwise, as long as you're not starting with Radiant Dawn (direct sequel to PoR) or anything in Japanese, you're probably going to be fine.
Last edited by Vi on Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #68 (isolation #17) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:07 am

Post by Vi »

In post 67, RadiantCowbells wrote:I'm hesitant to say that people should start blazing sword because it's incredibly depressing and I feel like it's a hard place to start the series.
"Depressing" is not a word I would use to describe FE7 on the whole (or even in part tbqh). Path of Radiance turns dark hella quick, and of course Awakening has
that

FE7 is cartoons and saving the world and a dash of politics and a dude with a turban with occasional plot beyond that.

---

FE7 (Fire Emblem, otherwise Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword, GBA): The first game released in the US and what most people use as their baseline. Really cool graphics, generally well-balanced, and player characters feel awesome.
FE8 (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, GBA): FE7, but shorter, more polished, and with twins and a world map.
FE9 (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, GCN): Completely overhauled mechanics with a Skill system and a Shove system. Definitely the most well-thought-out plot of all the games, but the difficulty is somewhat low because this was the game where Nintendo was like "lol muricans are casuals" and removed the hardest difficulty. Gameplay is much slower than other games because they forgot to give an option to fully skip animations. Social justice themes are very real.
FE10 (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Wii): A direct sequel to Path of Radiance. It does its own thing and it doesn't care what you think about it. Accept it on its own terms and it's amazing.
FE11 (Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, NDS): A very faithful remake of the first Fire Emblem game. Dry, but mechanically sound and simple, so it's a good game for someone who wants a solid TBS.
FE13 (Fire Emblem: Awakening, NDS): The first installment in the latest generation. Includes a customizable player avatar, a world map, loads of customization for units, a Skill system, DLC, the ability for units to have children, and much more.
FE14 (Fire Emblem: Fates, NDS): An installment that is its own trilogy. Heavily improves on Awakening's engine in every way. Choose Birthright for the ability to go through the game in whatever way seems most fun to you; choose Conquest for a classic FE experience in the modern style that will provide an engaging challenge. The plot is something that I'd advise you to read but not to take seriously.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #71 (isolation #18) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:57 am

Post by Vi »

Andrius wrote:I think we've agreed on something once in this thread. haha
Full disclosure: Without suggesting that anything I've said is not my actual opinion, I'm actually trying to provoke waifu wars and such because I'm bored. Come on, let's have a fun thread :?
Yes, I marry Maribelle.
You can do a
lot
worse.
Lucina is a decent enough character, though it seems her entire character is limited by the LAST OF MY LINE SAVE THE WORLD so we never see her do something outside of that.
Well, yes. She's all about I MUST SAVE MY WORLD to such a degree that she has no idea how to act outside that setting and it's adorable.
The only children I get regularly are Kana and Kiragi.
Y...you're marrying Takumi? Oh god. :P
Sophie is super hit-and-miss because her father is and all the mothers I pick for her turn out to be terrible.
Sophie is super-mediocre no matter what tbh; the major thing she has going for her is that you're probably using Silas (esp. in Conquest) so she's likely to exist.
Also, in one of my random reclass runs I wound up with her in a Strategist class (with Felicia as her mother IIRC). The nice thing about kids is that even if you do stupid things like that their stats regress to the mean, so they can't be THAT bad.
Focus on the gameplay, not the dating sim elements that may or may not turn you off.
To be honest a lot of people play newFE for the hawtness. No one admits to it but it's true. Camilla can be your MILF, well-endowed big sister, and cow-eared yandere lover all at the same time to maximize the potential that you'll buy Fates. :V
Awakening is better than Fates b/c it has a better story and doesn't rely on dating/marriage/sim.
On both accounts, I'd add "...but still..."~
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #73 (isolation #19) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:36 pm

Post by Vi »

Malig Knight is awesome >:-[ Awesome name, cool set of weapons, cool Skills, and... uh... two people can use it well, max.

Silas gets a lot better when someone explains his personal skill. +3/+3 in the early game on a horsie for the low price of dunking Corrin to half HP is way too good as long as you remember to forget to heal them.

Also I wasn't referring to growths when I said you could do worse than Maribelle; I was thinking of people like Vaike, Tharja, and Noire.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #75 (isolation #20) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:14 am

Post by Vi »

The two Malig Knight users are Camilla and Elise, and even then, only if you make the magic that is Wyvern Elise happen (Conquest only; in Revelation just make her a Strategist at 10 and it's silly how viable she is). Camilla gets better axes with Wyvern Lord but her Mag is still passable and 8-Mov flying Mjolnir is just one of many services the god-cow has to offer.

Ophelia as Malig Knight is pretty wasted. Something like 25 Mag/25 Spd + Vantage + Trample at max level doesn't cut it for eight move flying magic with E Axes. I guess if you set up Corrin to be a Malig Knight and then marry Odin you can get a good Chosen Evil Dragon Heroine? but if you're building Corrin to go Malig you're already deep into playing around for lulz.

Yeah Silas's Spd can fall off hard lategame (mmm 50% growth deviations), so I guess you're supposed to replace him with Sophie later on. By that time you have better units anyway, though, so it's not worth it. Also worth pointing out that in Rev Silas is basically an armor knight with 8 Mov.

True story: Corrin's Res is going to be trash pretty much all the time. Even if you pick Calm at setup their Res is only ever going to be mediocre. TBH I like how Corrin is balanced in this game; if they didn't have all of their protagonist toys and had to compete on stats and class alone they would be Roy-tier bad.

IDK I feel like posting long rambly writeups no one will read about what I think of all the FE characters. If I get really, really bored, etc.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #77 (isolation #21) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:27 am

Post by Vi »

On phone so full response will be a bit.

Spear Master is decent. I feel like enemy SMs are the most difficult enemies in the game, behind maybe Ninja. Seal Defense is awesome in the early game, and if you want to hold a line the two Seal skills plus Guard Naginata is pretty tough to beat. On offense it kind of peters out by the end because you're basically not gonna see Lancefaire without lots of grinding. Also, TBH Oboro is mediocre and Shiro exists well after it matters, so etc.

Basara exists so all kinds of unlikely people can get Rend Heaven. Other than that pretty much no one wants it. Good magic > good weapons > being bad at either of them.

The real use for Quixotic is in getting mixed with Hoshidan Unity and the three activated Skills of your choice on a Str or Skl Corrin. Regular hits against enemies from Corrin become about as common as misses from other units.

Hoshido Noble looks fabulous and this is a strong point in favor of getting like three of them on your team.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #80 (isolation #22) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:31 am

Post by Vi »

In post 78, Andrius wrote:I didn't like the Hoshidan version of magic so I didn't have a single magic user. Which made certain levels very difficult but at least the FLAME DAGGER CANNOT BREAK.
The only good Hoshidan mages are kids so yeah. I guess you can use Orochi but she's really high on a long list of people who absolutely do not want to see Enemy Phase combat.

You didn't use Saizo? Well thar's yer problem, you picked the wrong ninja to bench.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #82 (isolation #23) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:49 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 81, Errantparabola wrote:I have a gamecube and a ds of the non 3d variety!
Path of Radiance (GameCube). Do it do it do it.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #83 (isolation #24) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Post by Vi »

In unrelated news I'm listening to the Fates soundtrack and I got to Alight and I'm really close to saying "who cares whether Awakening or Fates is better, I'LL TAKE BOTH".
Fates really went the extra mile for the in- and out-of-battle arranges.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #85 (isolation #25) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:00 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 84, Errantparabola wrote:holy crap, why is this game so expensive
isn't the standard like $50 for GCN g--
<does a search and sees it offered for $229>

. . . . . . . . . . I have no words.

Since the GameCube relies on memory cards, there shouldn't be any issue with getting it used whenever you find it.

EDIT: Apparently this game was released close to the end of the GameCube's life, and only in limited quantities because Nintendo has such faith in its franchises, and people have come to like the game now so there's demand for it.
Last edited by Vi on Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #88 (isolation #26) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:05 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 87, Fluminator wrote:Honestly, one the main reasons I never got it for around literally 8 years was I could never find it.
I eventually caved and dolphined it.
But yeah, if you own a hard copy, it's a pretty rare thing you got and worth a lot now lol.
Has the Dolphin reached a point where it can emulate it well? It's been a while, but when I last checked, etc.

Also *eyes tub of games off in the corner of the room*
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #90 (isolation #27) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:22 pm

Post by Vi »

The solution to everyone's problems is for people to come visit me. To spend 30 hours playing video games.

I guess me doing the visiting works about as well.

(Radiant Dawn was going for $120 fwiw, like come on now why did you go to such effort to make these games and then not sell them)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #101 (isolation #28) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:58 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 95, Fluminator wrote:We should just all play through the games starting from 1 to 14 or whatever number we're at. (skipping Shadow Dragon)
<takes Warp Zone to FE7>

Also that guy's name is Finn, aka Brave Lance Horse Guy.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #102 (isolation #29) » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:34 pm

Post by Vi »

yep I'm bored

Spoiler: FE:Revelation tier list - Lunatic efficiency no-grind no-DLC
God Tier

Reina
Camilla
Jakob

High Tier

Azura
Ryoma
Corrin

Mid Tier

Fuga
Xander
Takumi
Shura

I guess they're viable?

Leo
Silas
Hinoka
Felicia
Elise

Not completely useless

Rinkah (for her pair-up bonuses)
Hayato
Subaki
Gunter

atleastyoutried.jpg

everyone else

Jakob and Felicia are assumed to be starting servants, and are assumed to get the first Heart Seal.
note that I don't fully understand the concept of Shelter so that may change things maybe

Spoiler: FE:Birthright tier list, Lunatic efficiency no-grind no-DLC
Shellfish EXP Magnet:

Ryoma

Top Tier

Corrin
Azura (no Heart Seal)

Upper High Tier:

Hinoka
Jakob (with Heart Seal)
Silas
Saizo
Scarlet

Lower High Tier:

Takumi
Rinkah
Kaze
Reina
Azama (with Heart Seal)
Kagero
Asugi
Kiragi
Mitama
Rhajat

Upper Mid Tier:

Shiro
Oboro
Caeldori
Shigure
Yukimura
Hisame
Hana
Sophie
Kana

Lower Mid Tier:

Subaki
Felicia (with Heart Seal)
Jakob (no Heart Seal)
Izana
Shura
Nichol

Upper Low Tier:

Kaden
Azura (with Heart Seal)
Orochi
Midori
Tarba
Selkie

Lower Low Tier:

Sakura (with Heart Seal)
Felicia (no Heart Seal)
Setsuna
Dwyer
Daniela
Mozu (with Heart Seal)

Bottom Tier:

Sakura (no Heart Seal)
Candace
Funke
Hinata
Azama (no Heart Seal)
Hayato
Daichi
Mozu (no Heart Seal)

Jakob and Felicia are considered to be your starting servants; Jakob Ch. 15 is bottom tier and Felicia Ch. 15 is lower low tier.
I know when I last tried to sort this out I kept finding ways that the logic made no sense, so this probably shouldn't be considered authoritative.
One way I know the logic doesn't quite work is that it doesn't assume that nothing matters after Ryoma joins, which is the only reason Scarlet is so high and the kids are anywhere above a "lol who cares" tier at the bottom.

Come at me, baker.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #105 (isolation #30) » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:48 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 104, Andrius wrote:God-tier REINA?
What?
I mean she was better-than-decent in Birthright but GOD-TIER?
*comes in early and stronger than the enemies that are terrorizing the rest of your army
*one-rounds multiple bosses for Turn 1 clears
*doesn't stop being a bauss who snipes things from up to 10 spaces away, doubling to kill, until the end of the game

Reina is art. Specifically, the kind of art that depicts just how bad a unit can be and still be god-tier.

"I guess they're viable?" is the tier for endgame filler. Like Hinoka isn't ever good; she just flies and can be mediocre chip damage.
"Not completely useless" is the tier for people who have niche uses early on that usually have little to do with combat. Like Hayato is mentioned because he's the only filler unit with good 2-range in the silly snow level.

That said, I only played Revelation once too, and it was a blind low-turn no-grind no-DLC run. If any of those four restrictions weren't there it probably would have been the polar opposite of fun.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #109 (isolation #31) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:21 am

Post by Vi »

In post 107, Andrius wrote:
In post 105, Vi wrote:Like Hinoka isn't ever good; she just flies and can be mediocre chip damage.
I've found that her problem is flying.
I give her a spear and she goes crazy.
And apparently marrying Silas makes him do better?
In Revelation? I guess Falco/Kinshi Silas would be a lot better later on since he gets Darting Blow.
But everyone who can fly in the second half of Rev very much wants to; that's where Fates hid all the terrain shenanigans.

Back when I was actively playing these games (six months ago) I put together a huge :nerd: report on it all. I kind of burned out by the time I finished Birthright, and I never used Nina so I stopped there, so don't really look at the Conquest stuff too hard because I know I need to redo Elise at the very least, but--take a look if you want to see what it's like.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #113 (isolation #32) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:07 am

Post by Vi »

In post 112, Spiffeh wrote:My Oscar is like level 11 and hasn't received ONE increase in strength. Also Soren just sucks for whatever reason.
WHEN RNG ATTACKS

Oscar is pretty much the poster child for getting stat-screwed (him and Eliwood). I don't think I've ever had a good one.

---

Hay Andrius. If we're going to talk about Fates, would you like to guinea-pig an experimental draft format? Random characters with random reclasses in Birthright Lunatic. Crack pairings with wacky kids. Hopefully an enjoyable brand of masochism, for any number of participating players.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #115 (isolation #33) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:43 pm

Post by Vi »

Kana/Dwyer/Sophie/Midori/Shigure's paralogues use Revelation scaling so those are harder, but for everything else the difference between Hard and Lunatic in Birthright is like +3 HP on generic enemies and +5 HP/+3 Atk on bosses. Other than that I think Birthright throws a few more enemies in and a LOT more enemies when you trigger reinforcements. The major differences come starting in Ch. 23 when they start cramming in enemy density. Nonetheless, you should try it - I think you'll find it's not as intimidating as you're expecting. (Lunatic in Revelation is quite a bit harder because it's 100% stat inflation, and Lunatic in Conquest is MAXIMUM TROLLING.)

---

PoR Ch. 8 was one of the harder maps in the game IMO, because you don't have enough obvious defensive units to cover everything but you don't get a choice not to. If you're playing with restrictions it's pretty tough to KO the boss.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #120 (isolation #34) » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:21 am

Post by Vi »

In post 117, KittyMo wrote:
In post 113, Vi wrote: If we're going to talk about Fates, would you like to guinea-pig an experimental draft format? Random characters with random reclasses in Birthright Lunatic. Crack pairings with wacky kids. Hopefully an enjoyable brand of masochism, for any number of participating players.
/in
I ran out of time to make the post I wanted to make this morning, but--yay! We'll get started shortly. The game is for any number of players, so if anyone else wants in, etc.

@RadiantDawnbells: Conquest in general is the cheekiest FE game since 4, and Lunatic basically goes out of its way to thumb its nose at you. Enemy stats are with very few exceptions the same as on Hard - which were no joke anyway - but a lot of the difficulty comes from things that have nothing to do with stats. For instance in Ch. 7, whereas on Hard all the Faceless had Poison Strike and a few also had Grisly Wound, on Lunatic it's the reverse. The boss of Ch. 8 is a Nosferatu Sorcerer, and on Lunatic they gave him Vantage. Ch. 9 sees one of the Archers in the boss room holding a Shining Bow, and one of the reinforcements holds a Bolt Naginata, and both of them have 7 Mag purely to ensure that they hurt. It's like that the whole way.

It's still pretty manageable until Ch. 23, when the game stops playing around and starts punishing you for your hubris. Ch. 26 and Endgame are notoriously punishing if you aren't ready to deal with status staves, to such a degree that the most common strategy for Endgame (other than seeing it coming and doing significant preparation for a 1-turn clear) is to keep your boss-killer hidden while their escort hurdles the dead and dying on the way there.

I mean, I do have everything set up to do a Conquest draft the same way I've been talking about Birthright, but Lunatic's lategame is so brutal that the last bit, at least, would need to be shifted down to Hard.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #122 (isolation #35) » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:59 am

Post by Vi »

All of that applies a lot more to Awakening (Galeforce Emblem) than Fates though.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #125 (isolation #36) » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:50 am

Post by Vi »

Eh, Conquest is very Skill-reliant (and enemies tend to have blatantly unlikely sets of them) but I don't really agree that they can't be planned around unless you're playing Awakening's Lunatic+.

I like how they add more differentiation between units and shakes the game up from having some statistically overpowered unit let a dozen units bounce off of them (FE4, FE9, FE10).

Don't forget FE7 and FE8 had activated abilities too.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #126 (isolation #37) » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:44 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 117, KittyMo wrote:
In post 113, Vi wrote: If we're going to talk about Fates, would you like to guinea-pig an experimental draft format? Random characters with random reclasses in Birthright Lunatic. Crack pairings with wacky kids. Hopefully an enjoyable brand of masochism, for any number of participating players.
/in
I'll give it 24 hours for any further participants (or for you to decide to back out :? ) and then we'll take it to Mish-Mash.

These are the rules, so you know in advance.

Spoiler: Experimental Draft Rules
*Check out all the weird units that get generated!
*Send your draft picks, consisting of ONE Corrin and SEVEN other units, to a neutral third party!
*If you were the only player to pick that person, they're on your team! Otherwise, negotiate with the other players to break conflicts. (72 hours or until everyone is satisfied)

*The winner of the draft is whoever beats the game in the fewest turns! The loser of the draft is everyone who doesn't finish! Everyone else is pretty cool :cool:
*Play Birthright Lunatic using only the units you drafted! Before you enter Ch. 21 (Burning Falls), use unlimited Heart Seals to place everyone in the class you drafted them in!
*You must deploy everyone you're allowed to use! (subject to the maximum number of units allowed on a given map, ofc)
*If you draft someone in an impossible class, you can use a backpack character to get them there; you just can't take them out of that pairing.
*Any kids you get are yours to keep! but they also have final classes they need to be in by Ch. 21.
*No Path Bonuses, no Challenges, no visiting others' Castles, no DLC. You are in a desert valley and, instead of finding water, you are unwrapping a fresh copy of Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright.
*If your drafted unit includes a "freebie", you may use ONE Path Bonus/DLC level. (This is to compensate for how late they come in.)

*Whatever you do until you get My Castle doesn't matter. Doing low-turns or low-units in Ch.s 3, 4, and 5 isn't fun so who cares.
*Turns spent in Paralogues and Invasions don't matter. (The usual draft rule is "the first 20 turns don't count" but unless you plan on doing things like grinding weapon ranks for hours etc.)
*If you can't not deploy someone, you can use them! (e.g. Reina in Ch. 11, or Hana/Subaki in Ch. 7)
*Captured units are yours to keep! (but if things get silly I may change this in a future draft)
*If you do use captured units, you're allowed to advance the clock via whichever means works for you (I think entering and then immediately exiting Challenges does this).
*If you are able to use Takumi, you are allowed to deploy Azura in Birthright 10 to recruit him.
*If you draft Ryoma, you may not use Raijinto as a weapon (but he can have it in his inventory).
*You may add 20 turns to your count to use Ryoma + Raijinto in any one Chapter, whether you have drafted him or not. This is a last resort!
*If all players agree to do so, everyone may shift to Hard Mode.

An example of what the draft pool would look like is as follows:

CHOOSE
ONE
OF THESE:
*Merchant Corrin (M), Sturdy but Sickly: Build 3, Hair 5, Acc 2, Color 19, Face 7, Detail 8, Voice 3, Jan 12
*Master Ninja Corrin (M), Swift but Dull: Build 3, Hair 7, Acc 1, Color 4, Face 7, Detail 5, Voice 2, Jul 3
*Bow Knight Corrin (M), Swift but Clumsy: Build 3, Hair 1, Acc 1, Color 1, Face 4, Detail 9, Voice 1, Jan 18

AND CHOOSE
SEVEN
OF THESE:
*Kinshi Knight Kaze (via Azura, Mozu, Hinoka, or Setsuna)
*Kinshi Knight Hayato (via Azura, Mozu, Hinoka, or Setsuna)
*Master of Arms Mozu
*Sniper Jakob (via Mozu, Setsuna, or Takumi)
*Kinshi Knight Sakura
*Priestess Azura (via Sakura or Azama)
*Onmyoji Hana

*Sniper Jakob (via Mozu, Setsuna, or Takumi) (yes, a second one)
*Mechanist Yukimura + 2 freebies
*Sniper Subaki (via Mozu or Setsuna)
*Sniper Mozu
*Maid Felicia
*Kinshi Knight Hinata (via Azura, Subaki, Mozu, Setsuna, or Takumi)
*Strategist Sakura (via Jakob)

*Onmyoji Hayato
*Spear Master Oboro
*Dark Knight Orochi (via Kaden)

IF YOU HAVE ANY KIDS, THESE ARE THEIR FINAL CLASSES:
*Kana is free as any class!
*Merchant Midori
*Strategist Dwyer
*Onmyoji Shigure
*Falcon Knight Caeldori
*Oni Chieftain Hisame
*Rhajat depends on her mother - Mechanist (Corrin 1), Master Ninja (Corrin 2), Bow Knight (Corrin 3), Sniper (Mozu), Priestess (Sakura), Kinshi Knight (Azura), Master of Arms (Hana), Maid (Felicia), Basara (Oboro)
*Sorcerer Selkie

Each player must exit the draft phase with one Corrin and seven other units. These units cannot be shared with other units. If after 72 hours there are still conflicts, the disputed units will be replaced with random "free" units from the list. If all players agree that they won't be able to resolve their conflict (e.g. if everyone picks that Master Ninja Corrin, which they sure as heck should), a unit can be removed from the pool and replaced.

Let me know if you're okay with this.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #128 (isolation #38) » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:36 am

Post by Vi »

If you have a branch of fate handy that would be fine. The only real difference is whether you get a few levels on your servant or not (if you pick the opposite-sex Corrin your servant's levels won't transfer).

If you want me to generate a one-player game for you (pick one of two Corrins and seven of nine others) I can do that too.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #130 (isolation #39) » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:14 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 129, KittyMo wrote:Please hit me with a one player thingy and later I'll let you know if I feel up to doing a draft
Okay. Heeeere goes:

CHOOSE
ONE
OF THESE...

Hero Corrin, Calm but Weak - Adult Male, Hair 6, Color 10, Face 4, Detail 9, Voice 2, May 23
Master of Arms Corrin, Sturdy but Unlucky - Young Female, Hair 4, Acc 3, Color 21, Face 1, Detail 4, Voice 2, Aug 17

...AND CHOOSE
SEVEN
OF THESE:

Master Ninja Kaze
Oni Chieftain Rinkah
Swordmaster Subaki
Blacksmith Hayato
Bow Knight Shura + 2 freebies
Falcoknight Sakura
Great Master Yukimura + 2 freebies

Master of Arms Ryoma (remember, Raijinto is banned from being used in combat!)
Basara Reina

...and if you get kids, these are their final classes!

Kana is free as any class!
Midori is Oni Chieftain (via Rinkah) / Onmyoji (via Sakura) / Swordmaster (via Corrin 2)
Caeldori is Oni Chieftain (via Rinkah) / Onmyoji (via Sakura) / Swordmaster (via Corrin 2)
Blacksmith Rhajat
Spear Master Shiro

If you go through with it, have fun! If you want my thoughts, here they are...
Spoiler:
What? No crack pairings? Booo. The closest thing the generator gave me was Subaki x Hinata, which... gives Subaki absolutely nothing.

First thing, the second Corrin is the obvious better choice. There's no way we're playing as a Bad Str Hero, and Master of Arms is right next door to Swordmaster.

Of note, Corrin 2 doesn't actually have to take the Samurai talent, since she can get MoA from Ryoma if you want to marry him. (I thought their S support was... kind of suspect, but there has to be a crack pairing in here somewhere.) This may actually be a decent idea, since at least you'll get a loaded Shiro out of it. The kids are... special in this draft, and it's unlikely that any of them other than Shiro and Kana will be worth it beyond having access to their paralogues for easy experience.

As for which units you want to cut... If you take both Shura and Yukimura, you're getting four freebies. That matters a lot more if you have the DLC, as you can dump Dread Fighters and -taker Skills all over the place. (Rinkah in particular wants to go Dread Fighter so she can mitigate the beatdown on Res she'll get in the lategame.) Otherwise you may as well save them for lategame where you can cash them in for using Raijinto in 23, 25, 27, and Endgame or something.

I'd throw Hayato out; he's really tough to train, he'll be working from E Axes, and physical Rhajat is a disaster. The other one you toss is honestly up to you. Lategame is pretty much going to be Corrin, Ryoma, and Shiro versus the world with support characters working backstage. The path of least resistance is probably tossing out Subaki, although you'll lose Caeldori's experience-clogged paralogue for it. Basara Reina is REALLY questionable for lategame (at least she has a good lance rank!) but having her in Kinshi for half of the game probably makes her worth it over Subaki.

So, in total, my first guess at moves would be--
*Ch. 7 - Dread Scroll Rinkah to Dread Fighter, Dread Scroll Kaze to Dread Fighter, Heart Seal Sakura to Sky Knight
*Ch. 14 - Heart Seal Corrin to Talent (Cavalier)
*later - get Ryoma to marry Corrin after a while; Partner Seal Ryoma to Cavalier and Corrin to Swordmaster
*use remaining two Heart Seals to get Rinkah and Kaze back to their original classes and use Master Seals to pump them up well ahead of Lv. 20 so they can get Lethality and Death Blow at a reasonable time
*Ch. 21 - get Kana and do idk
*Ch. 21 - get Shiro, passing down Vantage/Astra/Dragon Fang/Elbow Room/whatever
*Ch. 21 - use loads of money to swap everyone to their final classes before entering Burning Falls
*Ch. 25 - use freebie to get Raijinto
*Ch. 27 - use freebie to get Raijinto
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #138 (isolation #40) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:18 am

Post by Vi »

In post 135, Andrius wrote:If its Fates and Awakening-heavy Ill pass.
From what I've heard it will be.

Would you mind letting me know what a Warriors game is like?
Just a plug in if you've played and loved Fire Emblem you will almost certainly love the Paper Mario series, also by IS.
These series are of different genres entirely.

Not that the first two Paper Mario games weren't good, although you have to take them for what they are.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #144 (isolation #41) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Post by Vi »

FE2 was originally a questionable game so it will be interesting to what kind of rehab it gets.

Why have new games and attempts at epic stories when you can marry the anime girl of your choice? <__<
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #207 (isolation #42) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:10 am

Post by Vi »

To be fair they've been able to smooch for a while, just not with you.

(but yes Awakening and Fates have Casual Mode; they also have grinding so you can play Pokemon Emblem if you want)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #210 (isolation #43) » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:03 am

Post by Vi »

Talking of bushido. I just managed to get through my second Conquest Lunatic Random Reclass run. It's the ultimate in useless procrastination, but it's fun to assign myself crack pairings and make them work.

I didn't have someone who could body the final boss, so I had to do Endgame the honest way. If you've heard what Conquest's endgame is like... yeah, all of it is true. My dear son Percy died for a good cause, but I managed to keep everyone else alive by making my two staff users work overtime. (It was all the cheese staves - I only healed twice, and one of those heals clearly didn't save mah boi.)

Spoiler: The team looked like...
Kristen
- +Skl/-Spd Bow Knight by way of Outlaw Talent. Bow Knight is amazing... on other people. -Spd blew, although Bow Knight managed to pick it up a bit before endgame. She got stat-screwed and only capped Strength. Was probably below average compared to the rest of the team.
Jakob
- Great Knight. Married Azura, and got all the Skills for Falcon Knight and Paladin as well. Picked up A Lances pretty early on. Was basically a battering ram with Darting/Armored/Warding Blow and a +Def backpack for Percy. Also the only person with Shelter for Ch. 25.
Arthur
- Hero. Married Corrin, which was about as funny as you may expect. Chairman of smashing things with extreme righteousness and hoarder of Goddess Icons. Had Movement+1 and Lucky Seven off A+ Niles. Not as hilarious as when he's a Berserker, but a lot more reliable.
Niles
- Malig Knight (from undrafted backpack Camilla). I didn't miss Camilla, because what I got was even better. Got Gamble and Sol from Arthur, which mattered briefly before he picked up Bolt Axe. An absolute monster until endgame. Got Boots so he could have 11 Mov after pair-up, which made most of the game pretty silly.
Azura
- Kinshi Knight. Azura is supposed to cap Strength. She was five off. About the only good things about her were Amaterasu and how reliably she could plink. (To be fair, Amaterasu + Healing Descant kept Corrin alive while Ryoma was torturing her.) Ended with 9 Def (her average is an already-paltry 12).
Haitaka
- Put him through both classes, ending with Spear Master. The Basara skills are nice, but I'm not sure it's worth keeping him out of Spear Master for most of the game. Worth recruiting purely for having Rally Defense all game long.
Selena
- Falcon Knight. Not a great unit to start with and got screwed in her already bad stats of Str and Skl. Wound up being the staffbot for lategame, and got Arms Scrolls dumped on her so she could use Entrap in Endgame (off 14 Mag = ~50% Hit, how wonderful). Picked up like five levels in Invasion 3 because it's a lot easier to train people when you have +7 Atk +15 Hit or whatever.
Laslow
- Master Ninja. Solves a lot of problems, especially when they use magic. Inevitable End stops him from being an actual god of war, but on Hard, use this guy.
Leo
- Dark Knight. He's already slow, but this time around he ended with 19 Spd. That gets doubled by at least half of everything. Still, he's the only tome user I had, so having someone who could use forged Lightning at all was nice.
Zhara
- The boss of Soleil's paralogue. Went straight into Bow Knight after promotion because he comes with Sol and he was the only person I drew who could use Shirukenbreaker. I mean, he was okay at it, but I'd rather have had Silas.
Dwyer
- Azura's son, Kinshi Knight. Usually kind of useless, but he capped Res of all things and became a lot better once he hit C Bows for Killer/Shining Bow. Having two units who could use Amaterasu was incredibly helpful.
Shigure
- Jakob's son, Falcon Knight. Surprisingly good at everything, although he spent a lot of lategame flailing staves around. Plus I drew an absurd number of lance users, and was running out of good lances by the time he showed up.
Percy
- Corrin's son, Nohr Noble. You basically can't do Conquest Lunatic without one unit with massive Def, and that's where this guy came in. He was hitting 52 Def by Ch. 23 after extreme smurfing, which solved a lot of problems. Alas, he got magic-nuked in the last thing I needed him for.
Soleil
- Selena's daughter, Mechanist. I didn't actually think she turned out well this time around, but it's tough for a Mechanist to be all that bad, especially once Replicate comes in.

Stuff like this makes me think that as long as
>you have someone who can hit the Def benchmarks in Ch.s 21 and 23
>you have one unit with Shirukenbreaker (that isn't Corrin) by Ch. 25
>you have one competent staff user and pick up Silence from Ch. 25
you can clear Conquest Lunatic with an arbitrary team.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #233 (isolation #44) » Sat May 06, 2017 4:52 am

Post by Vi »

In post 217, PJ. wrote:Yeah both PoR and Radiant Dawn are like 90 dollars on ebay.
...and that's cheap.

They removed PoR's Maniac Mode for the US release because IS has to screw at least one major thing up per game. I think the most fun I had with it was when I didn't use bonus experience and only used the last five units recruited.

Another way to screw around with the game was to play a random casualty playthrough - every Chapter a random unit dies. :]

I mean, the enemy units are actually pretty decent, it's just that yours are way better once they get some training.
Ranulf is my favorite character
...and you haven't even gotten to his best scenes yet.

But yes, the worldbuilding and characters in Tellius are by far the best in the series. Come at me FE4.
Also yeah, I'm disappointed Mordecai never starts transformed. The chapter is usually almost complete by the time he's around.
Laguz Stones are basically made for this. Mordecai's physical durability when transformed is absurd, so etc.

--

Also, I'm playing another random reclass run, this time of Birthright.
I'm only now getting a true measure of just how awful this game is.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #238 (isolation #45) » Sat May 06, 2017 6:28 am

Post by Vi »

In post 236, Spiffeh wrote:
In post 233, Vi wrote:Also, I'm playing another random reclass run, this time of Birthright.
I'm only now getting a true measure of just how awful this game is.
Yeah I've never finished any of the Fates trilogy because
1. Birthright bored me to tears and I stopped halfway through
2. For Conquest (admittedly the best one and the only playable one) I'm stuck on the mission with all the fucking ninjas and other shuriken-armed things
3. Revelations has an ridiculous difficulty spike out of nowhere that only your Avatar can stand up to???

I'm really hoping Echoes is good
Birthright is unredeemable garbage in every way and the only thing that makes it tolerable is that you can basically skip everything from Chapter 14 on with the MIGHT OF THE LOBSTER GOD. (my tour of the game's awfulness stems from how I'm not doing that)

Conquest is like that :] Ch. 17, right? That's the first of several levels where being able to hit a certain Def threshold makes the game so much easier (in this case, it's 25, 27, or 29 depending on difficulty).
Xander starts with 23 Def, gets 4 from Siegfried, can get another 2 from Defense Tonic, and can get another 4 by holding a Knight or Great Knight (e.g. Effie or Benny). Add Demoiselle from Felicia or Elise for an additional +2. Chivalry is a surplus +2 in case something screws up. I'm pretty sure that stack completely stops him from taking any combat damage from the knife-throwers even after getting debuffed.)

I don't really remember a difficulty spike in Revelation, except Ch. 17, Iago's level. That's pretty much the point where either you're grinding, or the number of viable units shrinks to people with crowns next to their name + Reina + Silas.
Last edited by Vi on Sat May 06, 2017 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #241 (isolation #46) » Sat May 06, 2017 6:44 am

Post by Vi »

In post 240, Spiffeh wrote:
In post 238, Vi wrote:Conquest is like that Ch. 17, right? That's the first of several levels where being able to hit a certain Def threshold makes the game so much easier (in this case, it's 25, 27, or 29 depending on difficulty). What's your team like?
Don't remember off the top of my head (it's been like at least 3 months since I've played) but I'll boot it up later today and let you know :P
I edited my post with something that should help you no matter what your team is. Conquest becomes a lot more fair once you know how to stack stat buffs.
Andrius wrote:Uh BIRTHRIGHT is the only path where you get SCARLET for more than a chapter.
That counts for something.
Yeah, and she still gets hosed on the supports~

They even threw in a character who is canonically hot, and it still can't save Hoshido Quest. Only the royal chin armor can carry this experience.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #243 (isolation #47) » Sat May 06, 2017 7:31 am

Post by Vi »

In post 242, Andrius wrote:"Canonically hot"? Is that a Flora joke?
In my headcanon there are like five people who had the opportunity to join Corrin's party but really wanted to get out of Birthright's plot while they still could, and Flora in particular panicked when she realized that she didn't have any good excuses to blow the heroes off.

But no, I'm talking about Rinkah.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #245 (isolation #48) » Sat May 06, 2017 8:14 am

Post by Vi »

In fairness,
*Felicia definitely mourns at the scene, and brings it up in the intro to the next Chapter.
*Fates' roster was basically as small as they could get while still giving each important character two retainers. The only real extras were Charlotte, Nyx, Benny, Shura, and the others who just show up.

The thing about Fates' writing is that it was actually not that bad
except
for the plot and the one-gimmick characters (which, to be fair, was most of it). :/
If they were going to write a shonen anime in video game format I wish they'd had some self-awareness around how difficult it would be to take things seriously.

That's why it's more fun to only refer to the plot by way of memes and shitposting. Actually talking about what happened in any serious way just makes everyone feel bad.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #250 (isolation #49) » Sat May 06, 2017 9:14 am

Post by Vi »

In post 247, Fluminator wrote:Actually, can you
[marry Camilla]
? Or was she your sister
Yes. Kinda. Basically? She could pass as your mother, too...
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #252 (isolation #50) » Mon May 08, 2017 12:15 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 251, Fluminator wrote:Naesallo or however you spell it. (The Raven king) Might be my favorite villain so far.
Naesala (not bad).

We're talking about Tellius again, which means it's time for me to melt into a puddle over how fabulous everyone is.

(also, you're far enough along in the game that I can show you this)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #255 (isolation #51) » Tue May 09, 2017 1:10 am

Post by Vi »

In post 253, Fluminator wrote:Haha! Yeah, just beat the 4 parter. Oliver was such a wierdo.
All my units are promoted now!
Tibarn scares me. Birds should not be that muscular.
I know exactly what to link in response to this, but it's late into Radiant Dawn, so have this instead.
Tibarn is the best though (like so many other characters). He has such a dry and understated sense of humor.

While I'm digging through my collection (which I haven't visited in five years and that makes me sad), I feel compelled to show you this.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #258 (isolation #52) » Thu May 11, 2017 12:26 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 257, Fluminator wrote:Trying to decide if I should pair Ike with Soren or Lethe. He's got B supports with both right now.
10 out of 10 fangirls say Soren. Lethe has at least one other option to A-rank, anyway.

Also, this exists.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #262 (isolation #53) » Thu May 11, 2017 1:59 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 260, Fluminator wrote:I am unfortunately not using that sexy beast Makalov to even out the riders. His sister is fighting well enough for the both of them though. (Lol at them not even having a support)
To be fair, that recruitment conversation pretty much made up for the two of them not having a support.
Also, Shinon and gatrie have no right being in that rainbow! I can forgive Shinon but Gatrie knows better.
Gatrie's, like, one of the very few blondes in the game (yes yes I know, Andrius). Being in the Greilbow was his
destiny
Andrius wrote:<stuff>
This is just my sensibility, but IMO let them get one playthrough in before showering advice on who's good and who's not and
just wait until the next chapter~~
. It's more fun for everyone that way.

(plus I disagree with everything you said but that's not important)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #264 (isolation #54) » Fri May 12, 2017 12:35 am

Post by Vi »

In post 263, Andrius wrote:
Spoiler:
Knives on Sages is still a dumb idea and I'm so glad they fixed Bastian in FE10.
Spoiler:
Knives on Sages only works because you can have Emo Soren.

(But to be fair it also balances Calill, who would otherwise be Pent all over again.)

(Bastian is underpowered in so many ways and it makes no sense.)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #268 (isolation #55) » Fri May 12, 2017 4:32 pm

Post by Vi »

And... I finally completed my random reclass run of Birthright. Hopefully this cures my desire to dump time into Fates for a while.

Things I learned on this run:
*You can basically promote whenever you want. Skills > stats. Plus, even taking my sweet time getting through the game (without challenge battles), the only units that hit the level cap were Corrin and Yukimura.
*As long as you have one or two units who can kill units on enemy phase - not even every unit they fight, just one or two - and not get killed in return, you can beat the Lunatic difficulty spike.

Spoiler: The team
DLC swag for drafting Yukimura: 1x Boo Camp, 1x Fell Brand
DLC swag for marrying second gen: 1x Exalt's Brand

*Hapimasuku - Strong/Sickly Merchant (via Apothecary talent); ended at 20/20; married Caeldori. So named because he was a merchant who had squinty eyes, although his hair was cropped red. HP Bane eventually stops being a problem, but the early game is really painful. Str Boon takes a long time to kick in since Yato transforms so late in Birthright, but combined with proc skills it becomes disturbingly overpowered later on. Spendthrift was overkill for pretty much everything except the final bosses; after hexing the last boss Corrin was able to orca the chump. Spent a few levels in Falco and Great Knight for Darting Blow, Elbow Room, and Luna.
*Sakura - Falcon Knight; ended at 20/16; married Subaki. It never fails to piss me off that using Sakura pretty much means she gets the early Heart Seal. She turned out pretty decent, except for how she wound up
seven points behind
on her Spd, because I really needed a horsebird who gets doubled in a game that already has Subaki. She got Arms Scrolls dumped on her so she could use the Hexing Rod in endgame (50% Hit, ewww).
*Subaki - Great Master; ended at 13/18; married Sakura; friended Saizo. After eight levels, Subaki had gained zero Str, zero Res, and one Spd, so I promoted his sorry ass on the ghost ship and used him as a Jeigan. It helped me cram levels into him so he could get his good Skills early, which is probably the best thing you can do with Subaki under normal circumstances anyway. Picking up the Renewal+Camaraderie combo fairly early made him pretty clutch as bait in the midgame. Later on I burned my Fell Brand on him and stuffed levels into him so he could get Rally Spectrum, then switched him back so he could use good weapons. Being a rallybot for +6 Spd +10 Lck(!) +2 everything else was a pretty nice retirement.
*Silas - Master Ninja; ended at 20/19; married undrafted Kagero. Silas is way too good for this game.
*Saizo - Blacksmith; ended at 15/18; married undrafted Rinkah; friended Subaki. Leaving the Ninja tree meant that his bad Spd and Res became noticeable and he couldn't use shirukens, but I can ignore a lot of flaws from someone who gets 4x crits with the Great Club over 84% of the time. He was under all his averages while unpromoted, which only made Saizo reasonably powerful early on.
*Mozu - Merchant; ended 14/19. Since Sakura got the early Heart Seal, I had to train her as a Villager. It wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be, but it was still pretty bad. It took her most of the game to become usable, and even Spendthrift didn't make her particularly great in the endgame because Merchant caps her Spd at 27.
*Setsuna -
Falcon Knight
Great Lord; ended 20/15; friended undrafted Hinoka. Rounds out the team of S people. It's not that Setsuna is total garbage so much as that she never, ever wants to take her hands off a bow. I didn't really know who else to give the Exalt's Brand to, so it went here. It didn't make her any better.
*Caeldori - Falcon Knight; ended 20/17; Sakura's daughter; inherited Miracle and Renewal; married Corrin. She flew, had reasonable defensive stats, and recovered 40% of her HP at the start of each Player Phase, and that was good enough for her to get a niche slightly beyond a generic combat unit.
*Asugi - Master of Arms; ended 20/18; Rinkah's son; inherited Death Blow and Seal Resistance; nearly married Sophie. I thought Rinkah was supposed to ruin kids, but Asugi got good stats in most places and became a go-to combatant thanks to Death Blow. Life or Death was kind of nice in the endgame because Rinkah did kind of screw her kid's Strength stat but bless his Def instead.
*Sophie - Great Knight; ended 20/17; Kagero's daughter; inherited Poison Strike and Defender; nearly married Asugi. To contrast with Asugi, Sophie got a stupidly good Strength score and had rather awful Defense. A lot of Sophie's problem, if it could be called such, is that she was more useful as Silas's pair-up than as an independent combatant, so she didn't see all that much combat.
*Kana - Mechanist; ended 20/18; Caeldori's daughter; inherited Elbow Room and Renewal. I'm still not sure if I should have married Mozu instead, but getting another Renewal unit is certainly a point in favor of the way things turned out. I had no idea what to do with Kana this time around, but I remembered she had Mechanist access, so I decided to test if it's really true that everyone who can be a Mechanist wants to be a Mechanist. It sure looks like it; she was super-clutch in the lategame despite never getting more than D-ranks.
*Yukimura - Mechanist; ended ??/20. I swear by this guy. Good Def right when you need it, Potent Potion/Quick Salve for excellent independent tanking, easy Replicate access, weapon ranks to use Silvers immediately, and I tried out the Spy's Shiruken this time around because neither of the final bosses can do much about it (lol birthright). Nary a complaint.

---
I like the story, but I find it pretty hilarious that Mist had an amulet that contained a dark god and that anyone else who touched it would turn into a deranged psycho killer, and Greil and Titania never thought it was a good idea to tell the kids that. "Oops, Ike accidentally grabbed Mist's amulet for her. RIP"
In anime, children are responsible people who do what they're told.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #271 (isolation #56) » Tue May 16, 2017 3:58 am

Post by Vi »

Spoiler:
In re: dark god - It's better to be able to release the dark god than to get it strong enough to break out on its own.

The fight against the Burger King was the worst-designed part of the game IMO. Even if you cram all the resources into Ike and Mist, you still have to get lucky to actually win (preferably before the reinforcements show up) and if you screw up you have to play a long level again. At least it doesn't really matter.

The FE fandom thinks that Ashnard is the best villain in the series, actually. Rather than the usual omnicidal dragon thing, Ashnard was a psycho warlord who not only presented a radically meritocratic worldview in a plot that discusses the responsibilities of royalty and has a deep skepticism about nobility, but also wanted to release a dark god purely to further his belief that this worldview was the right thing (and, while he may not have survived the encounter with said god, he likely wouldn't have cared because that would have fit in his philosophy). The odd thing is that the game doesn't spell it out clearly unless Ashnard fights... Reyson.

But yes in terms of plot and setting it's probably the best game in the series.

Did you have a favorite BGM? (Don't forget to try a Trial Map before answering.)
Favorite character?
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #274 (isolation #57) » Wed May 17, 2017 1:37 am

Post by Vi »

(BGM is background music.)

These are all good choices for best character in every respect. Although there aren't many bad choices, to be fair.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #278 (isolation #58) » Thu May 18, 2017 6:45 am

Post by Vi »

Dump all of them for Innes. Edgelord sniper with ice hair > everyone else.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #283 (isolation #59) » Fri May 19, 2017 4:46 am

Post by Vi »

Floomy - given your response to BGM I know exactly who you'll cotton to in the next game :D

(many of the recent BGMs have issues with punching bears in the face; this one will not)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #291 (isolation #60) » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:58 am

Post by Vi »

In post 287, Andrius wrote:Vi, I can replay Awakening. Awakening was good but not in my Top 3. Awakening also has best daughter.
this had better be lucina
if you say noire i will never let you claim to have good taste ever again
I can't replay Fates. Fates I wouldn't recommend to anyone for [story, gameplay] since they basically have to choose ONE OR THE OTHER.
The 3DS comes equipped with a START button that lets you skip the story as it comes.

Like, don't get me wrong, playing Conquest as my first of the three I felt insulted as a thinking human being by the script. Then I played the other games and it somehow got worse. But after the first playthrough, you've already absorbed the pain and you come to grips with how the plot is only good for the memes, and you enjoy Conquest. If you're not playing Conquest then you don't really enjoy anything and waste your life and money.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #293 (isolation #61) » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:19 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 292, Andrius wrote:Its a FIRE EMBLEM game. I shouldn't have to SKIP the STORY to play FIRE EMBLEM.
Archanea
FE6

(also the image isn't loading)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #299 (isolation #62) » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:41 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 294, Andrius wrote:(Morgan is best daughter. The recruitment conversation had my heart instantly.)
Moderate choice, not-Lucina/10 but also not-Severa-or-Noire/10
Cabd wrote:No rampant reclassing of ALL THE THINGS
why do you hate a completely optional mechanic that adds depth
and why do you like the previous game that did reclassing much worse
FE 11 was just bad
It's more dry than bad IMO.
Then again, the only real way to play this game is to kill all of your units and play with replacements. I get more worked up about losing Penvo than Gordin.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #305 (isolation #63) » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:02 pm

Post by Vi »

You basically don't have FE4 without incest though.
Like the plot of the game is literally "defeating the evils of incest through the might of lesser forms of inbreeding".

cut: that
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #308 (isolation #64) » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:08 pm

Post by Vi »

see I haven't spoiled myself on FE:H at all

after Fates I'm not sure if I like where this conversation is going

(I've actually heard the game is good in some ways, and Gaiden in several other ways; I'll probably get it when I finish this next Fates random reclass run and decide I don't need free time)

fake edit: wait no I'm going to get it before Calimeet! Five or six hours of plane rides yea~h
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #312 (isolation #65) » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:12 pm

Post by Vi »

oh whoops weeeeee~w sorry, got confused about the like four post-Fates games they've announced
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #317 (isolation #66) » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:57 am

Post by Vi »

Everyone thinks the Dawn Brigade chapters are the hardest, so yeah.

The familiar faces should start to trickle in soon, if they haven't already.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #319 (isolation #67) » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:03 am

Post by Vi »

Haven't you heard? Exposed midriffs are all the rage among scrawny teenagers these days!

(the fangirls kind of hate it from what I've seen)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #322 (isolation #68) » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:40 am

Post by Vi »

Vika isn't as stoned as someone in Fates. :?
She and Ilyana lost the character design lottery this time around.

No one from Serenes is dead who wasn't dead before.

Unit selection in FE10 is plot-driven. You always have the units you need, but outside your core group, people will come in and out as the story dictates.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #324 (isolation #69) » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:48 am

Post by Vi »

I-F is one of the hardest levels in the game if you don't use the super-OP units IMO.
The boss has three leadership stars (+15 Hit / +15 Avo) and you're going against height (+50 Hit / +50 Avo against lower units IIRC).

Spoiler:
What's weird is that the game tried to make Jarod a vaguely tragic villain after it gets revealed that he got screwed over.
Never mind that he's still a mass murderer and proud of it.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #328 (isolation #70) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:28 am

Post by Vi »

Currently playing through Echoes. I just finished Act I.

My succinct impression of this game is "lackluster interactive anime". I feel like I've been lied to by all the hype, because this is somehow more brainless than Birthright.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #330 (isolation #71) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:09 am

Post by Vi »

Update: Just finished Act 2. Not much has changed. Super tactics tech in this game appears to be "choke that point" and "don't throw low-Res units at mages".

Quickly checking around, it looks like this game is pretty polarizing in the fanbase. This must be what I get for liking Radiant Dawn so much.

Genny and Celica could probably take Act 2 on by themselves. Genny is not fair in all the best ways.
Last edited by Vi on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #333 (isolation #72) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:16 am

Post by Vi »

Not-an-edit: Mae is the best part of the full voice acting by far.
Cabd wrote:It's definitely nothing like the GBA or Console era; but that's okay and I enjoy it on its own merits.
(how?)
Andrius wrote:I tried to convert Papa Zito to try FE7 in sitechat yesterday so maybe he'll be joining us here.
Good choice. Despite being the first game released in the US, FE7 may still be the overall best experience.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #335 (isolation #73) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:18 am

Post by Vi »

In post 334, Cabd wrote:How what? How is it different, you mean? Or how do I enjoy it?
The latter.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #337 (isolation #74) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:27 am

Post by Vi »

Oh right. I appreciate how Faye is either a closet yandere, or
should
be one.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #339 (isolation #75) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:38 am

Post by Vi »

Spoilers.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #341 (isolation #76) » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:58 am

Post by Vi »

I had to put Echoes down. I just couldn't bring myself to drag myself through it any more. I got as far as Jedah's map without touching Act 4 Alm.

(It looks like low-deployment is the way to play this game?)

---

So instead I finished another Birthright random reclass run, because I was not yet cured of wanting to play this game. Birthright is still bad but this team was too hilarious not to try.

In this run I learned that Hayato is basically the worst unit in Fates. I also got to test my theory that it doesn't really matter when you promote; it's basically true. I think I nailed the promotion schedule, actually; people only hit the level cap in Ch. 27.

Spoiler: The team
DLC swag for marrying second gen: 1x Boo Camp. Because Birthright sucks, you get better experience from this than progressing through the story.

*Kiyomi - Lucky/Slow Bow Knight (via Outlaw talent); ended at 20/19; married Asugi. Picked a random Japanese name. Managed to get Lck-screwed but still managed to cap eventually. Slow is a nasty bane but at least Bow Knight made up for it. Movement+1 and Boots are great to have in one place; she could easily reach Garon at melee range in Endgame. I would have posted this sooner but she whiffed the enormous hulking dragon at 93% and got killed on Enemy Phase the first time I tried.
*Azura - Mechanist; ended at 21/18; married undrafted Saizo. Azura is pretty much always held back by crappy weapon ranks, which is a shame because she's a crit machine. Replicate is awesome.
*Silas - Kinshi Knight; ended at 19/19; married Mozu. Silas might be the best unit in both routes, and I'm getting tired of seeing him. He's kind of wasted as a Kinshi Knight (as is a lot of people) but keeping B Lances is pretty awesome.
*Hinoka - Kinshi Knight; ended 15/18; married Kaden. Hinoka is the only person who may challenge Silas for best unit in Birthright, but she's also kind of wasted as a Kinshi Knight. Got absurdly blessed in this run, but still wound up 6 Str behind Silas. *tear, tear*
*Setsuna - Master of Arms, ended 10/12, married undrafted Ryoma. I wasn't going to deal with this crap again. I used her as little as I could, made her queen of Hoshido, and then used her as a backpack for the rest of the game.
*Hayato - Mechanist, ended 10/18, married undrafted Orochi. It turns out that physical Hayato is never good. Magic Hayato was starting to approach good (with Orochi as a backpack, so keep that in mind) but I didn't get a chance to find out. I pounded experience into him so he could pass Replicate, and then he basically hung out for the rest of the game. Replicate was awesome anyway.
*Mozu - Kinshi Knight, ended 16/20, married Silas. She got to A Bows, so she got to play with Spy's Yumi for the last few Chapters. Fairly standard Mozu, except for how she adamantly refused to gain Str (she wound up 6 points under her average).
*Kaden - Basara, ended 14/20, married Hinoka. I promoted him near-instantly and only left him as a fox long enough to get Even Better. He's pretty much always going to suck at magic, and wound up being super-mediocre throughout.
*Sophie - Paladin, ended 20/18, Mozu's daughter, married Shiro IIRC, inherited Aptitude and Luna. She's actually kind of good, especially on offense. I'm not sure why I never seem to use her. She was the only primary sword-user other than Corrin, so she got to play with the Wakizashi and a forged Venge Katana.
*Selkie - Basara, ended 20/19, Hinoka's daughter, inherited Even Better and Camaraderie, married Shigure. It turns out that you can make magic foxes mighty if you dump two Spirit Dusts on them (up to 17+2 Mag at endgame) and give them the best mother ever. Horse Spirit and the two healing skills she inherited made her virtually indestructible. She hit B Tomes but honestly nothing was better than Horse except maybe Gate.
*Asugi - Mechanist, ended 20/19, Azura's son, inherited Voice of Peace, married Corrin. Bad Def and HP, good everything else. Replicate is awesome. Of the Mechanists, he was the only one to start with either weapon rank, so he wound up getting the good shurikens and ultimately wound up chipping with Spy's Shuriken. That thing (with its huge debuffs and Poison Strike) is insane. On a similar note, Replicate is awesome.
*Shigure - Mechanist, ended 20/19, Saizo's son, inherited Voice of Peace, married Selkie. Super-buff and does everything well. Managed to get to B Bows, so his smug face got to show up in a lot of combat. Replicate is awesome.
*Shiro - Spear Master, ended 20/18, Setsuna's son, inherited Quick Draw and Vantage, married Sophie IIRC. Shiro is honestly kind of mediocre and Setsuna is a crappy mother (he even got Spd-screwed!), but he held up well and his utility went way up in the last few Chapters when he picked up the Waterwheel. That weapon is sickeningly good.
*Rhajat - Blacksmith, ended 20/19, Orochi's daughter, inherited Replicate, tried to marry Kana (I clearly hate Kana). I went to so much trouble to get her, and she still got screwed at everything. Still, a Chapter of axe-whacking and an Arms Scroll later, she did exactly what I hoped - hold the Bolt Axe and crush all who opposed her. D Swords also let her hold the Sunrise Katana if she ever had a need to survive Enemy Phases. Did I mention Replicate is awesome? Because I can think of one thing that's better than a vindictive witch who uses her thor-hammer to one-round Generals...
*Kana - Mechanist, ended 20/18, Asugi's son; inherited Voice of Peace and Movement+1. Took his sweet time getting born, but having an 8-Mov Mechanist is legitimately awesome. He did more Mechanist things and wasn't bad at them. Replicate is awesome.

In case you weren't counting, that's 15 units that expands to 21 units. Normally I have to do Ch. 27 by dealing with one or two groups of enemies at a time, but in this run I just killed the entire bottom half of the map by the end of Turn 2.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #348 (isolation #77) » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:57 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 347, KittyMo wrote:
Gray
[...]
also somehow went from my fave kid to least fave adult rip
You are not alone in having this opinion.
Andrius 343 wrote:Spoiler: Fire Emblem Player Archetype Chart I found on Reddit and love
This wasn't perfect but better than I expected.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #351 (isolation #78) » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:26 am

Post by Vi »

In post 349, popsofctown wrote:I put 200+ hours into advance wars dual strike but haven't finished a Fire Emblem game yet. Maybe I am playing the wrong ones. I can't remember the name of the last one I played but like you get Lucina from smash late in the game and every other level enemies ambush from the edges of the map unannounced and that's kind of annoying because permadeath??
I usually find the dialogue cute enough but the gameplay doesn't feel compelling/fun.
Awakening.
Awakening is a game that's awesome when you play it blind and
incredibly
mediocre afterward. If you're not having the experience of it being awesome when you play it blind, you're not going to like the rest of the game, so put it down and play moar Conquest. Or FE7.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #360 (isolation #79) » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:27 am

Post by Vi »

In post 359, Gamma Emerald wrote:Apparently there were plans to remake Path of Radiance for 3DS but they were scrapped when the Bowser’s Inside Story remake failed and AlphaDream collapsed as a result
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance -and- Ike's Mercenaries

<gags>

I'm all about that Tellius but a bullet might have gotten dodged there... especially since PoR needs some serious balance changes and Nintendo probably wasn't going to let any more effort be spent on the game than needed for it to print money.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #368 (isolation #80) » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:55 pm

Post by Vi »

I guess I can post here now. Still playing blind.

Spoiler: up to the end of month five
Playing on Hard Mode because I don't feel a need to be mad. The mock battle is still the most difficult thing so far.

Went with Black Eagle House because, despite Claude's best efforts, going with the searingly serious white-haired woman was the most likely outcome from the beginning.

Byleth is okay. Giving enhanced experience to adjacent units is something I should have abused a lot more up until this point. The game doesn't let them throw fisticuffs, which is frigging criminal. Action punching is the best thing in this game; it's everything knives should have been in all the previous games. It occurs to me that there's something wrong with a system where Byleth is good at teaching other people skills that they're good at, but has precious little chance to be better than their students at anything. I'm not sure if a flaming whip sword is better than a flaming chainsaw sword.

Edelgard is okay. Stands in front of army and takes damage. Smash is basically how I got through the early game. Unlocking her budding talent means she can be an axe mage, which is much more my speed.

Hubert is decent enough. I really like what they did with magic in this game; it feels a lot more like how D&D Wizards
should
. He shows up and nukes things a few times on each map, and that's enough. The devs absolutely knew what they were doing when they gave him Mt +5 on gambits.

Ferdinand is okay. Stands in front of army and takes damage. But I already have two people who do that and they're main characters, so... I'm not sure if this guy really serves a purpose.

Linhardt is like the most railroaded mage since Soren. Still, gotta have a healer somewhere. He lacks 3-range, killing power, and durability, so his experience growth is the lowest in the army.

Caspar is not my Hero. He very much does not have the Con for axes. Brawling ability makes him substantially better but he still doesn't take hits well. Hoping he sucks less on a wyvern.

Bernadetta... is a character who calls herself Bernie in 2020. Blatant meme character is blatant meme. But, considering that I favor archers, she has 3-range from the beginning of the game, and she occasionally gets extra hits in, I see a lot of her.

Dorothea is like Hubert but bad. She shows up to hit things with Thunder at 2-range, and then dies if anything comes at her. Later she improves to hit things once or twice with Thoron at 3-range, and then dies if anything comes at her. I'm not convinced she's salvageable, which is a shame because I like her character.

Petra is basically better Caspar. I like her personal skill, as she does seem to wind up in situations where she can one-round but not one-shot enemies at half health. It occurs to me as I type this that if I'm going to sit her on a horsebird I should probably get her trained in lances.

I recruited Sylvain who seems like Better Ferdinand. Mage focus >> no mage focus. Also I think the students outside my House autolevel faster than my actual units, which... hmm.

Overall this game feels like the next evolution of the series after Echoes (and to a lesser extent Fates).
*Combat Arts using durability and not locked to specific weapons feels like how it should have been done to begin with.
*Map quality is dreadful. I really hope I get to hear a second combat theme at some point.
*I've heard in passing that a criticism of this game is that ~everyone can be everything~, and it's kind of true. Classes in all of the prior games are well-defined based on their stat spread and weapon types; here I have the choice between a Myrmidon who doesn't have to use swords, a Soldier who doesn't have to use lances, a Fighter who can use like everything except magic, and a mage that isn't locked to magic. There's no evident difference between three of these (their stats are negligibly different); of course I'm going to go with the mage. Really this gets to one of the things that pisses me off most about FEs from Awakening onward - they make it impossible to plan things in advance because they don't tell you really important things about what staying in a class gets you. I mean, maybe it's always been kind of like that because of hidden growth spreads, but it feels like core mechanics aren't being explained to me. I have little faith in IS to make a balanced roster of classes, so I'm sure there's a right answer in this huge menu of options but the only way I'm going to learn is to spoil myself.
*This game feels very, very slow, and a lot of it is the Explore feature doubling the playtime of the game. I have to wonder if the game is playable if you skip it, because it takes so much more time than the Barracks and My Castle before it. If not, I have a hard time seeing myself replaying this game.
*In fact tbh the turn-based grid combat in this game feels almost like an elaborate minigame, a sideshow to ~plot~ and ~look at this castle~ and, more than that, an idle clicking game. Like I'm pretty sure this game was meant to appeal to people who like seeing gauges go up, without necessarily seeing a reward from it. It's like a distillation of RPGs to where the gameplay is menuing and the awful UI is the main antagonist.

Gambits are kind of neat - I've always wanted an FE game with developed mass combat - but at this particular month-end skirmish (the one in the tower) I'm suddenly becoming very aware of how bullshit they are when enemies use them. Would be nice if they were included in attack ranges or anything like that, but again, the UI of this game leaves a lot to be desired. Also this was released in 2019 and there are still ambush spawns.

I want to like Rhea - partly for the bird name (my first Corrin was named Rhea) and partly because green-haired vaguely sinister woman - but she's like a somewhat stoned somewhat evil Emmeryn. Ah well.

Usually in FE Speed is the most important stat by far, as doubling and getting doubled is a huge deal. In Fates ~Conquest~ it was harder to double people, so Defense became the most important stat. Now the most important stat is weapon weight. 0 AS gets doubled as early as the first map and the bar keeps going up from there, so losing 7 AS from an Iron Axe is suddenly an awful proposition. More reason to go for mages and punching.

So yeah so far I think it's okay but it's not living up to the high praise I'm told this gets.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #372 (isolation #81) » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:04 am

Post by Vi »

In post 370, AcRv wrote:and you're not relying on a slightly inconsistent red arrow indicating who enemy units will be attacking but not their damage output.
If you hover over the enemy it will show you their damage output and accuracy. It's not always accurate since things change mid-turn but it's always nice to know that two of my units are absolutely getting doubled and killed with perfect accuracy; that's probably
not
going to change short of physically removing the unit that's doing the attacking.

Spoiler: At the end of Crimson Flower
The plot twist of this game is actually pretty cool. Would be nice if they gave you the chance to back out before prematurely ending an Explore day though. From what people are saying, though, Crimson Flower REALLY drew the short straw in rushed development. "...and so Edelgard did what she set out to do, more or less taking the most direct route to do so. Then all the stuff that's been built up to about purging the evil people happened and everyone lived happily ever after."

I kind of came to the conclusion that once you get midway through the game, characters' stats don't really matter. It's like Awakening in how everyone has good growths in everything, and after 35 levels usually everyone is at-least-passable in whatever you want them to do after factoring in class growth rates.

The difficulty curve is more of a difficulty mesa. Everything from Ch. 12 on is much more difficult than everything that came before it except Ch. 1, and the final chapter is impressive in putting lots of enemies in the middle of the map that are more dangerous than the actual final boss. I appreciate how the last three chapters increasingly punish the player for being mounted, which is basically the point of being in a Master class. Flying on the other hand never stops being god-tier; my Petra was more bowverpowered than any Fates-era Kinshi Knight.

The class system is still dubious. As far as I can tell the Master classes don't even have better stats or growths than some of the Advanced classes, but they have better movement and most of the time that matters more. Keeping the rewards for class mastery secret is incredibly dumb because it prevents the player from having the only relevant factor in making a decision to stay in an inferior class. I don't know why Mercenary/Hero exists when Thief/Assassin does; the growths aren't that different and the latter comes with 1 extra Move. I'm not sure why Mortal Savant exists.

Hidden or confusingly-sorted information about battalions and forging and gardening and so forth isn't much better; that bit from my previous post hasn't changed. I'm still not sure if seminars and resting are ever good ideas.

The writing for this game is much better than it was in Echoes (although I maintain Echoes was engineered to suck in some ways), which makes the voicing work much better. The exception was the final boss in the intro to the last Chapter, which was jarringly amateur. It did bother me a lot that a lot of the supports were like "so our parents kind of hate each other, and may have killed each other, but we're friends! :D " which... became a bit monotonous after a while. It made it more interesting when the trend was broken, but in large part it was monotonous. Also Hubert A+ Ferdinand was crackfic af and I enjoyed it.

Honestly given all of the above I'm not sure I can bring myself to replay this again. The game is very, very slow, and the characters/classes ultimately don't seem differentiated enough to make something fun of it. Still, I got 90 hours out of it and I enjoyed the blind playthrough so the experience was worth it.

Also Dorothea is indeed a treasure. She really got the worst fate, setting out with the goal of marrying up but finding that she has a crippling disability in that she's unable to form a single sentence without radiating
sizzling
lesbian energy.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #374 (isolation #82) » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:59 am

Post by Vi »

In post 373, AcRv wrote:Or you could have a simple damage calculation method. Unless I'm just silly and am missing something really obvious.
Prt and Rsl are intended to be units' final damage reduction. As far as I know all attack buffs go into Atk. Granted, moving units can cause these things to change (e.g. with Sacred Power, which is +3/+3 to adjacent units).
Hidden or confusingly-sorted information about battalions and forging and gardening and so forth isn't much better; that bit from my previous post hasn't changed. I'm still not sure if seminars and resting are ever good ideas.
I only use seminars if I'm trying to get a skill up to recruit someone and can't be bothered actually using the weapon. They also increase motivation which is good with a low professor level/if you're sick of running around the monastery giving people gifts. You can also quickly adjust the goals of the people who you want to have motivation to be what the person is lecturing in, get the motivation, and then switch their goals back before the bit that actually gives them experience. They're basically a way to continue the game if you're sick of fluffing about in the monastery. Which I was for the last quarter or so of the game.

It's not a bad game but it certainly wasn't as good as the hype makes it out to be.
TBF in the last bit of the game the monastery doesn't matter so much because you've already done everything you need to do.

As far as how good the game is, this is what I'm thinking atm.

GAMES I WOULD CONSIDER PLAYING AGAIN

Fates ~Conquest~
Radiant Dawn
Blazing Sword
Path of Radiance
---Three Houses
Sacred Stones
Awakening

GAMES I WOULD RECOMMEND WITH CAVEATS

Binding Blade
Shadow Dragon
Genealogy of the Holy War

GAMES I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND

Fates ~Birthright~
Fates ~Revelation~
Echoes
Thracia 776

Return to “The Arcade”