Best way to do relationship charts?

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #27 (isolation #0) » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:41 am

Post by Klick »

I thought about posting Rainbow Dash's alliance graph but it didn't seem to be exactly what you were after
I'm sure there's a nice answer for this and I've been thinking about it for the last few days, but I haven't figured it out yet
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #29 (isolation #1) » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:01 am

Post by Klick »

That's the problem - different players view their connections using different metrics and what you're looking for in part is a method of standardising those connections. An optimal solution would probably have some sort of spectrum for how close players/alliances are to each other.
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #33 (isolation #2) » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:56 am

Post by Klick »

Yeah (c) becomes really complicated because different players (and sometimes even the same players on different days) use different levels of (a), (b), and other factors to determine what they actually want to do about people.

On a personal level I'd enjoy putting together my own subjective inference-based chart of how a game is going using my own read on (c). I could even see a situation where a decent chunk of a spec forum worked together to craft their generally accepted version of what was happening in the gamestate and charted it. Both of these feel like they'd be similar to Edgic in terms of their subjectivity and how you'd go about collecting the data.

But if you're looking for something more practical, then yeah going the (a)/(b) route, asking direct questions to the players and making a chart based on responses seems like it would be your best bet. Snakes did something like that in Equestria, and I thought the results were really interesting and gave some strong insight into why the game unfolded the way it did from around F8 on.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”