Dance of the Title Thread: Resurgence in wild?

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #360 (isolation #0) » Fri May 31, 2019 7:49 am

Post by Zaphkael »

So I've been thinking about this for a while and I want to know what others think about this.

I want to nominate wgeurts for
Platinum

The first, hopefully rather obvious reason is that it is a pokemon game. He plays pokemon on a competitive level and it's a big part of who he is. I think this part is fairly self-evident?

Secondly, we regularly see a wgeurts thread rating songs. He obviously isn't the only one doing it, but we see him in the song contest from time to time too. I'd like to think platinum is a rather nice play on how albums/songs can earn platinum when they're good?

Lastly, platinum is a unique, precious metal. I think it describes wgeurts well in terms of personality, but also in his unique creativity when it comes to designing mafia games (I believe he won a scummy for that too?) and in all the work he has put in the wiki, which is also a thing very few people have done to that extent.

So yeah, I hope this rambling makes at least some sense.
Last edited by Zaphkael on Fri May 31, 2019 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
But I know, at the end...
Shoot me a message if you need a game reviewed!
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #394 (isolation #1) » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:06 pm

Post by Zaphkael »

I thought of Pokédex as well, and I think it's a very elegant solution.
Nth
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #2064 (isolation #2) » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:05 am

Post by Zaphkael »

What about
Meta Maniac
?
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #2087 (isolation #3) » Wed May 06, 2020 6:01 am

Post by Zaphkael »

In post 2086, Pine wrote: I would not be opposed to fighting Zaph on this. Name the terms and I'm there.
Oh man, that's not even necessary, I can easily name a handful of people who would beat me, including you
but we can necro the fiction rumble?
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #2122 (isolation #4) » Thu May 14, 2020 1:13 am

Post by Zaphkael »

I also really like Twenty Two Faced and prefer that over Alisae's suggestion.
nth Twenty Two Faced
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #2155 (isolation #5) » Tue May 19, 2020 12:41 am

Post by Zaphkael »

What about
Shapeshifter
? It has the idea of being so good at disguising yourself (and deceiving others) that you're quite literally someone else, and fits the many alts just as well.
I think it has the extra layer of how MariaR is usually very nice and banter-y but can get really serious when she needs to, though I guess that is not as specific to her
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #2231 (isolation #6) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:17 am

Post by Zaphkael »

I don't know if I know him well enough to say if this title suits him, but I do think he's been a very distinct personality on this site that definitely is deserving of a title. I'll
nth
this one for now though!
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #2249 (isolation #7) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:08 am

Post by Zaphkael »

There have been a couple of good title suggestions in the past few pages that didn't really get discussed further but that do have a good thought behind them, so similar to nero cain's, I'm going to bring them up again and see if there's some interest in them. I hope I'm not overstepping my boundaries here?
In post 2089, Knightmare491 wrote:
nominate Isis for "Fairy Godmother"

She's one of the most helpful people on the forum when it comes to setup related doubts etc. I've PMed her several doubts I've had while running a game on this other site and I've always got useful and crisp answers.
In post 2096, Kanna wrote:Actually,
Nom Isis for “Best in Class”

I think this suits her because
  • it’s a reference to her avatar, Scholarship Student Isis
  • it implies she’s “best in class,” no matter if it’s mafia, rpg class, or overall classiness
  • it’s fairly original(?)
In post 2105, northsidegal wrote:nom MariaR for
Twenty Two Faced

When looking back through the old title threads I think there was some pretty good discussion on a title for Maria that never ended up making it through because the title fairy changed at an inopportune moment. I personally think that "I Have Many Names" was the best of the titles suggested back then but I prefer Twenty Two Faced for a few reasons.

First, to justify either of the titles, among the traits that Maria is most well known for are being very good at scum, and having a lot of alts. "I Have Many Names" certainly fits the alt aspect of that well, and while it does have something of a sinister tone that might be reminiscent of scum, I can't help but feel that it understates the "being very good at scum" trait.

To me, "Twenty Two Faced" better incorporates both elements, with two faced being a more clear indicator of lying and being good at scum, and the more literal interpretation of twenty two faces being an allusion to a great deal of alternate accounts. Also, it's the sort of unique twist on a normal phrase ("two faced") that I feel like makes up a lot of classic titles, e.g. All Work and Roleplay, Best Newcrummer, etc.

i think that unlike a lot of titles that refer to people's unique personality traits that it's both really easily understandable while still having a bit underneath. also, include a hyphen anywhere as looks best.
As well as alternatives: "In Disguise", "Ultimate Cosplaying Assassin", "Villain with a Thousand Faces", "Shapeshifter", "Veiled" and "Masked" and many more.
In post 2187, Cheetory6 wrote:
Tightrope Walker

Walking a tightrope is scary, involves handling a lot of pressure and the circus context kind of implies a degree of theatricality/performance.
Someone who does that for a living excels at managing those three things which I think ties in well with the idea of someone who is good at LyLo.

If you succeed you win/live, if you fail you lose/die, which I feel is kind of apt for the description of how LyLo can tend to play (at least when it gets down to final three).?
This was a nom for Skitter30.
In post 2220, Isis wrote:I want to nom Kanna for "Did nothing wrong."

Kanna is really strong at scum and strikes me as having a playstyle where she seems very purposeful and interested in leading questions or manipulating people into thinking about the game a certain way, but avoids seeming scummy in doing so by effectively purporting to be unaware that any such goals are antitown. She doesn't hardwrangle the gamestate so the passivity implied by the title isn't a misfit.
She self-titled herself "Innocent Child" in Entitlement which is proximal but not the perfect fit for others experience her play. In postgame I don't think of her as an Innocent Child (the way I would think of some players who hate rolling scum so much they "townside as scum" and they feel green even in postgame), I always feel like she was up to something, it just turns out it was actually murder and not a surprise birthday party.
I've only spectated her townplay but haven't read enough of it to feel it's incongruent with this title.
The title also references material from her name/avatar, which is auxiliary, but the game it comes from is basically a mafia visual novel so it feels more admissible (and it's admissible anyway as long as the reasoning is secondary).
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #2257 (isolation #8) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:06 am

Post by Zaphkael »

In post 2105, northsidegal wrote:nom MariaR for
Twenty Two Faced

When looking back through the old title threads I think there was some pretty good discussion on a title for Maria that never ended up making it through because the title fairy changed at an inopportune moment. I personally think that "I Have Many Names" was the best of the titles suggested back then but I prefer Twenty Two Faced for a few reasons.

First, to justify either of the titles, among the traits that Maria is most well known for are being very good at scum, and having a lot of alts. "I Have Many Names" certainly fits the alt aspect of that well, and while it does have something of a sinister tone that might be reminiscent of scum, I can't help but feel that it understates the "being very good at scum" trait.

To me, "Twenty Two Faced" better incorporates both elements, with two faced being a more clear indicator of lying and being good at scum, and the more literal interpretation of twenty two faces being an allusion to a great deal of alternate accounts. Also, it's the sort of unique twist on a normal phrase ("two faced") that I feel like makes up a lot of classic titles, e.g. All Work and Roleplay, Best Newcrummer, etc.

i think that unlike a lot of titles that refer to people's unique personality traits that it's both really easily understandable while still having a bit underneath. also, include a hyphen anywhere as looks best.
So I've been thinking about this for the past few days and the best I've come up with I think is
"Alternatively,"

I'm not as good at explaining this as I want to but I think it's a good way to bring across the idea of "yeah you might think I'm scum, but what about..." and in general just describes their ability to convince people easily as a scum player.
It's also, quite literally, a reference to their amount of alts (both alt-ernatively and alternative accounts), which as nsg said is something that is really characteristic for them.
Lastly, to me, it also has the meaning that MariaR is just really good at adapting to the situation at hand and the people around them, and I feel like it's a large enough part of their personality to mention it.
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #2259 (isolation #9) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:47 am

Post by Zaphkael »

I prefer "Alternatively," over "Alt-ernatively," but both are fine and I'm not opposed to just let mariaR choose which one they prefer, if the nomination goes through.
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #2293 (isolation #10) » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:58 am

Post by Zaphkael »

What about
Music Box
?
It has the box thing, it has his strong connection to music and they're these devilishly wonderful thing you never quite know how they work, but whatever they produce is always great
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #2311 (isolation #11) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:00 am

Post by Zaphkael »

In post 2309, Nahdia wrote:schadd_: a little chaotic, cool music thread, a good mod of interesting setups including his mystery box series

pandora's jukebox
?

or is that trying to push so many ideas together that it becomes a bit incoherent? hmm...
Nth
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #2322 (isolation #12) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:14 am

Post by Zaphkael »

I'm on the same page as nahdia here: it's funny and I get it, but it's also just.... pukebox? If schadd prefers it, power to him, but I think I prefer jukebox.
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #2329 (isolation #13) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:33 am

Post by Zaphkael »

In post 2323, Cheetory6 wrote:maybe like
idk get better preferences?!? have you ever considered that?!?!??
I'm trying, the anime avatar is my first step!

On a more serious note, I like pukebox and understand the arguments, I like jukebox more, I'm fine with whatever schadd prefers and if he loves the former that's awesome!
pedit: pjukebox is kind of funny
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #2343 (isolation #14) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:53 am

Post by Zaphkael »

I think shot count is absolutely amazing, but medium pharma is pretty great too.
nth

Return to “Player Titles”