Gender and mafia

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (isolation #0) » Tue May 26, 2020 10:39 am

Post by Blair »

“There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation! A human being [...] cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away.” -Hercule Poirot
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (isolation #1) » Tue May 26, 2020 10:56 am

Post by Blair »

I would loosely speculate that men, on average, exhibit a lower confidence in their ability to read the opposite sex than women (this need not correlate with actual ability).

As such, men may be more willing to give women the "benefit of the doubt" when they begin to suspect them in early-game. For the same reason, by mid- to late-game men may be more prone to paranoia about women they were not initially suspicious of.

In short: When a man doesn't understand another man's motives, he assumes this indicates a scum motive. When a man doesn't understand a woman's motives, he will occasionally (key word) tack it up to "Women are mysterious enigmas." Men are also slightly more paranoid of being deceived by women.

All of that is based on anecdotal evidence, and is not scientifically rigorous.
“There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation! A human being [...] cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away.” -Hercule Poirot
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (isolation #2) » Tue May 26, 2020 11:07 am

Post by Blair »

In post 7, NoPowerOverMe wrote:What about the perceived notion of male on female "violence"?
I'm not sure what you are asking.

Are you asking if men are more inclined to defend female players when they are accused?
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (isolation #3) » Tue May 26, 2020 11:14 am

Post by Blair »

Well, it has definitely not been my experience to be defended! :lol:

As for men voting for female players, I observe fewer "pressure" votes on female players, but more late-game "paranoia" votes.
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (isolation #4) » Tue May 26, 2020 11:19 am

Post by Blair »

(Again, it's all anecdotal based on my personal experience and observations - you could explain away my observation about pressure voting by rightly pointing out that I don't really respond to pressure votes)
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (isolation #5) » Tue May 26, 2020 11:22 am

Post by Blair »

There may be more reactive, timid female players who benefit from male "white knighting," I suppose.

I have not experienced this benefit. :lol:
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (isolation #6) » Tue May 26, 2020 11:24 am

Post by Blair »

I'd be interested in observations of male reactions to female/female altercations.

It has been my experience that, when I am pushing a case on a less, erm, "intense" female player, lots of defenders appear. :roll:

Return to “Mafia Discussion”