Dance of the Title Thread: Resurgence in wild?

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2225 (ISO) » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:45 am

Post by brassherald »

In post 2200, Enter wrote:
In post 2197, Enter wrote:
In post 2194, northsidegal wrote:i think generally it's just supposed to fit on one line
funny coming from you
This wasn't supposed to be mean and I hope it didn't come across that way
It wasn't mean until you said it wasn't supposed to be mean.
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #2226 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:00 am

Post by mastina »

Not convinced on the Kanna title; can we get more discussion there?
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2227 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:45 am

Post by talah »

In post 2223, Hectic wrote:
nth Did nothing wrong

I don't get the reference but I hope to soon once I finally play it. I agree with the reasoning that this fits more than Innocent Child.
"Did nothing wrong" has a strong association with historical figures involved in genocide.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #2228 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:25 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 2227, talah wrote:
nth Did nothing wrong

I don't get the reference but I hope to soon once I finally play it. I agree with the reasoning that this fits more than Innocent Child.
"Did nothing wrong" has a strong association with historical figures involved in genocide.
That is not the first thing I thought of when I see that title.
GTKAS
| here.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #2229 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:44 am

Post by vonflare »

not even close
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2230 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:12 am

Post by talah »

In post 1969, Jingle wrote:Nominate Nero Cain for
League Commissioner

He's been involved with running every fantasy sports league I've seen on ms in recent memory.
In post 1970, Alisae wrote:I'll Nth that
Also
nth

I think given his longevity and site epicness, and proven mod experience, particularly in the mish-mash role, Nero deserves, nay, requires, a title of this calibre (if not a straight-up mish-mash mod spot).
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #2231 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:17 am

Post by Zaphkael »

I don't know if I know him well enough to say if this title suits him, but I do think he's been a very distinct personality on this site that definitely is deserving of a title. I'll
nth
this one for now though!
But I know, at the end...
Shoot me a message if you need a game reviewed!
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #2232 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:31 am

Post by Alisae »

wait that Nero Cain title was completely forgotten and not talked about?????????
why???????
GTKAS
| here.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2233 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:37 am

Post by Nero Cain »

:D
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #2234 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:39 am

Post by Nahdia »

but is there a pun to be had...
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2235 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:01 am

Post by talah »

In post 2232, Alisae wrote:wait that Nero Cain title was completely forgotten and not talked about?????????
why???????
I've heard quoted from the rules (and I'm paraphrasing) that at least 5 votes are needed to support ye olde Title.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #2236 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:11 am

Post by mastina »

In post 2235, talah wrote:
In post 2232, Alisae wrote:wait that Nero Cain title was completely forgotten and not talked about?????????
why???????
I've heard quoted from the rules (and I'm paraphrasing) that at least 5 votes are needed to support ye olde Title.
This, pretty much. I thought the title had potential, but it didn't seem to have the necessary momentum.

That's obviously different now. :P
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2237 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:03 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 1969, Jingle wrote:Nominate Nero Cain for
League Commissioner

He's been involved with running every fantasy sports league I've seen on ms in recent memory.
I don't support this title. He starts more threads then he actually runs the leagues(as a person that is actually in some of these leagues). At least as far as the fantasy football stuff goes it's more
poor impulse control
than being the commissioner for an extended period of time.

also would nominate zoraster as
The guy that fucked up the auction league rules
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #2238 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:05 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

I'm also of the mind that Nero's voice is the loudest in regards to the leagues in Mish Mash, but it is by no means the most important. That is a big distinction worth making.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #2239 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:24 pm

Post by Jingle »

FWIW the nom was more about league discussion outside of mush mash than actual knowledge of the leagues themselves. Iirc he had been campaigning in schat for people to join when I thought that up.
This is a Parachute.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2240 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:29 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 2237, PJ. wrote:He starts more threads then he actually runs the leagues
that doesn't even make sense. OFC I run/commish the fantasy leagues each year. 2 baseball leagues either L-1 or L-2 (and sometimes L-3) and auction so like 4-5 each year.

In post 2238, animorpherv1 wrote:I'm also of the mind that Nero's voice is the loudest in regards to the leagues in Mish Mash, but it is by no means the most important.
I don't really understand the point of this. I mean sure, I'm not saying that I'm necessarily more important than anyone else....do you even play in them?
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #2241 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:30 pm

Post by Jingle »

In post 2228, Alisae wrote:
In post 2227, talah wrote:
nth Did nothing wrong

That is not the first thing I thought of when I see that title.
Even if the association isn’t immediate for everyone I kind of feel like the fact that it exists for some people is enough to make it a bad title choice. I also feel like we should be able to find a reference that encapsulates the gist of that as “evil person who appears perfectly innocent” is a fairly common trope.

I also don’t know kanna.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #2242 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:32 pm

Post by Jingle »

why???????
I came up with it ;)

For real though I think the title thread died for like a month around then.
This is a Parachute.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #2243 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:34 pm

Post by Isis »

I was unfamiliar with that association with the phrase. Since the wording is not what is critical to the title I think it's fine to wait for something better to come to mind. It was already the second, the first one was too long.

Waiting for more people to be more familiar with her in general has merit too, it's important at least a few people know a user and can feel it fits.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2244 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:20 pm

Post by talah »

In post 2238, animorpherv1 wrote:I'm also of the mind that Nero's voice is the loudest in regards to the leagues in Mish Mash, but it is by no means the most important. That is a big distinction worth making.
Well, the title isn't "League MVP", and I'd oppose "League Loudmouth" for example, but I do think Nero deserves a title for his ongoing patronage of, and work at, MS.

It's also not like "Commisioner" is necessarily meant in the sense of "Commisioner Gordon". Someone commissioning many leagues could be similarly referred to without the need to see the reference as a "big boss of an entity", if that's what the objection is based on. I can see that it may have connotation, but many titles have connotations or references which aren't related to why the title was conferred in the first place.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #2245 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:37 pm

Post by Alisae »

i don't know anyhting about the mish mash league scene, but the only thing I know is that nero cain is the face of the fantasy football league
GTKAS
| here.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2246 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:48 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 2240, Nero Cain wrote:that doesn't even make sense. OFC I run/commish the fantasy leagues each year. 2 baseball leagues either L-1 or L-2 (and sometimes L-3) and auction so like 4-5 each year.
Mith commissioned l1/l2 and auction for years(like 7), zoraster commissioned league 1/2 and auction for years. I feel you took over within the last 2/3 years and only because mith had kids and commissioning fantasy football leagues is the only thing that zor is bad at. Secondly, who cares about baseball.

One thing you do is start the fantasy football thread in like....may. and send many many annoying PMs about it.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2247 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:57 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 2245, Alisae wrote:i don't know anyhting about the mish mash league scene, but the only thing I know is that nero cain is the face of the fantasy football league
I highly (but respectfully) disagree, but I am in those threads and *some* of those leagues.

Oh, before it gets lost in the shuffle, I do think its great that he has commissioned the leagues in their stead, i just dont think the body of work is title worthy, thats it.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2248 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:39 am

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 2246, PJ. wrote:Secondly, who cares about baseball.
its America's pastime!

Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #2249 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:08 am

Post by Zaphkael »

There have been a couple of good title suggestions in the past few pages that didn't really get discussed further but that do have a good thought behind them, so similar to nero cain's, I'm going to bring them up again and see if there's some interest in them. I hope I'm not overstepping my boundaries here?
In post 2089, Knightmare491 wrote:
nominate Isis for "Fairy Godmother"

She's one of the most helpful people on the forum when it comes to setup related doubts etc. I've PMed her several doubts I've had while running a game on this other site and I've always got useful and crisp answers.
In post 2096, Kanna wrote:Actually,
Nom Isis for “Best in Class”

I think this suits her because
  • it’s a reference to her avatar, Scholarship Student Isis
  • it implies she’s “best in class,” no matter if it’s mafia, rpg class, or overall classiness
  • it’s fairly original(?)
In post 2105, northsidegal wrote:nom MariaR for
Twenty Two Faced

When looking back through the old title threads I think there was some pretty good discussion on a title for Maria that never ended up making it through because the title fairy changed at an inopportune moment. I personally think that "I Have Many Names" was the best of the titles suggested back then but I prefer Twenty Two Faced for a few reasons.

First, to justify either of the titles, among the traits that Maria is most well known for are being very good at scum, and having a lot of alts. "I Have Many Names" certainly fits the alt aspect of that well, and while it does have something of a sinister tone that might be reminiscent of scum, I can't help but feel that it understates the "being very good at scum" trait.

To me, "Twenty Two Faced" better incorporates both elements, with two faced being a more clear indicator of lying and being good at scum, and the more literal interpretation of twenty two faces being an allusion to a great deal of alternate accounts. Also, it's the sort of unique twist on a normal phrase ("two faced") that I feel like makes up a lot of classic titles, e.g. All Work and Roleplay, Best Newcrummer, etc.

i think that unlike a lot of titles that refer to people's unique personality traits that it's both really easily understandable while still having a bit underneath. also, include a hyphen anywhere as looks best.
As well as alternatives: "In Disguise", "Ultimate Cosplaying Assassin", "Villain with a Thousand Faces", "Shapeshifter", "Veiled" and "Masked" and many more.
In post 2187, Cheetory6 wrote:
Tightrope Walker

Walking a tightrope is scary, involves handling a lot of pressure and the circus context kind of implies a degree of theatricality/performance.
Someone who does that for a living excels at managing those three things which I think ties in well with the idea of someone who is good at LyLo.

If you succeed you win/live, if you fail you lose/die, which I feel is kind of apt for the description of how LyLo can tend to play (at least when it gets down to final three).?
This was a nom for Skitter30.
In post 2220, Isis wrote:I want to nom Kanna for "Did nothing wrong."

Kanna is really strong at scum and strikes me as having a playstyle where she seems very purposeful and interested in leading questions or manipulating people into thinking about the game a certain way, but avoids seeming scummy in doing so by effectively purporting to be unaware that any such goals are antitown. She doesn't hardwrangle the gamestate so the passivity implied by the title isn't a misfit.
She self-titled herself "Innocent Child" in Entitlement which is proximal but not the perfect fit for others experience her play. In postgame I don't think of her as an Innocent Child (the way I would think of some players who hate rolling scum so much they "townside as scum" and they feel green even in postgame), I always feel like she was up to something, it just turns out it was actually murder and not a surprise birthday party.
I've only spectated her townplay but haven't read enough of it to feel it's incongruent with this title.
The title also references material from her name/avatar, which is auxiliary, but the game it comes from is basically a mafia visual novel so it feels more admissible (and it's admissible anyway as long as the reasoning is secondary).
But I know, at the end...
Shoot me a message if you need a game reviewed!

Return to “Player Titles”