Dance of the Title Thread: Resurgence in wild?

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #2250 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:40 am

Post by mastina »

In post 2249, Zaphkael wrote:There have been a couple of good title suggestions in the past few pages that didn't really get discussed further but that do have a good thought behind them, so similar to nero cain's, I'm going to bring them up again and see if there's some interest in them. I hope I'm not overstepping my boundaries here?
You're fine, this sort of thing is encouraged, though...
In post 2226, mastina wrote:Not convinced on the Kanna title; can we get more discussion there?
In post 2137, mastina wrote:
In post 2096, Kanna wrote:Actually,
Nom Isis for “Best in Class”

I think this suits her because
  • it’s a reference to her avatar, Scholarship Student Isis
  • it implies she’s “best in class,” no matter if it’s mafia, rpg class, or overall classiness
  • it’s fairly original(?)
I like this but I want more feedback from people on it.

When it comes to the MariaR proposed title of Twenty-Two Faced, on the one hand: I understand the title, like where it's coming from, get it, think it's neat and clever and all-around like it as a title, but this is a valid point:
In post 2111, Alisae wrote:I don't think Twenty Two Faced satisfies me here. Mostly because based on that title alone, if I to tell it to Beeboy and he had to guess who that was for, he would probably not guess MariaR and I wouldn't either.
Now, that might be because we know her a bit more and that because we're friends with her.
If the people onsite who're closest to MariaR don't have the same association with it, if the people who know her best don't connect the title with her, then it is probably not suited for her in spite of the merits behind the title.
These cover all but the skitter one, which to my knowledge--nobody brought up again. By and large, they remain true.

I am open to the titles, but people haven't brought forth the strong support/reasoning to back them up.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2251 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:56 am

Post by brassherald »

In post 2240, Nero Cain wrote:that doesn't even make sense. OFC I run/commish the fantasy leagues each year. 2 baseball leagues either L-1 or L-2 (and sometimes L-3) and auction so like 4-5 each year.
Yeah, I still get PMs from you ocassionally.

I have retired from fantasy sports until I can draft Thanos.
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2252 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:54 pm

Post by PJ. »

Saquon Barkley isn't thanos?
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2253 (ISO) » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:17 am

Post by brassherald »

In post 2252, PJ. wrote:Saquon Barkley isn't thanos?
No, also when I couldn't get deGrom on deGrominators I cried for a month
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2254 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:07 am

Post by talah »

In post 2247, PJ. wrote:
In post 2245, Alisae wrote:i don't know anyhting about the mish mash league scene, but the only thing I know is that nero cain is the face of the fantasy football league
I highly (but respectfully) disagree, but I am in those threads and *some* of those leagues.

Oh, before it gets lost in the shuffle, I do think its great that he has commissioned the leagues in their stead, i just dont think the body of work is title worthy, thats it.
I'm going to argue against you here. Nero has been here for a hell of a long time, and has 10 times the posts I have (something like 30K).
I think a title such as "League Comissioner" is benign compared to what you're asking it to do. You're asking that Nero's entire body of work points to them being a kind of league comptroller, else the title is undeserved, and you're additionally saying (in contradiction) that you think it's great that they've been recently and heavily involved in comissioning leagues in mish-mash.
Nero's body of work is their participation and ongoing and oft-changing role in MS. A title which Nero will accept is the least of gifts and acknowledgement we could bestow. I doubt you're arguing that Nero doesn't deserve a title in general, though.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2255 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:24 am

Post by PJ. »

I'm arguing that stepping up to do a task recently(as far as the history of that task goes) =/= being known for being the main person who does said task(especially among people whom that task relates) despite my being grateful they took on that role (and I'm not even accounting for quality of doing said task).

My argument is find a different title. Also that comptroller is a dumb fucking word.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2256 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:47 am

Post by talah »

In post 2255, PJ. wrote:I'm arguing that stepping up to do a task recently(as far as the history of that task goes) =/= being known for being the main person who does said task(especially among people whom that task relates) despite my being grateful they took on that role (and I'm not even accounting for quality of doing said task).

My argument is find a different title. Also that comptroller is a dumb fucking word.
My argument is that Nero stepping up to do it recently has no bearing on the allocation of the title. Nero has been here forever, deserves a title, and in the current meta, they deserve a title which is apt - and "League Commissioner" fits that bill.

It does not imply that they are the "comptroller of leagues" (yes I said it - but it means something). It does not imply that others do not equally well, or over time, commission more, games in the league. Rather it simply demonstrates that Nero should be recognised, and at this point in time, it's an appropriate recognition.
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #2257 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:06 am

Post by Zaphkael »

In post 2105, northsidegal wrote:nom MariaR for
Twenty Two Faced

When looking back through the old title threads I think there was some pretty good discussion on a title for Maria that never ended up making it through because the title fairy changed at an inopportune moment. I personally think that "I Have Many Names" was the best of the titles suggested back then but I prefer Twenty Two Faced for a few reasons.

First, to justify either of the titles, among the traits that Maria is most well known for are being very good at scum, and having a lot of alts. "I Have Many Names" certainly fits the alt aspect of that well, and while it does have something of a sinister tone that might be reminiscent of scum, I can't help but feel that it understates the "being very good at scum" trait.

To me, "Twenty Two Faced" better incorporates both elements, with two faced being a more clear indicator of lying and being good at scum, and the more literal interpretation of twenty two faces being an allusion to a great deal of alternate accounts. Also, it's the sort of unique twist on a normal phrase ("two faced") that I feel like makes up a lot of classic titles, e.g. All Work and Roleplay, Best Newcrummer, etc.

i think that unlike a lot of titles that refer to people's unique personality traits that it's both really easily understandable while still having a bit underneath. also, include a hyphen anywhere as looks best.
So I've been thinking about this for the past few days and the best I've come up with I think is
"Alternatively,"

I'm not as good at explaining this as I want to but I think it's a good way to bring across the idea of "yeah you might think I'm scum, but what about..." and in general just describes their ability to convince people easily as a scum player.
It's also, quite literally, a reference to their amount of alts (both alt-ernatively and alternative accounts), which as nsg said is something that is really characteristic for them.
Lastly, to me, it also has the meaning that MariaR is just really good at adapting to the situation at hand and the people around them, and I feel like it's a large enough part of their personality to mention it.
But I know, at the end...
Shoot me a message if you need a game reviewed!
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #2258 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:11 am

Post by Nahdia »

nth Alternatively

would Alt-ernatively also work? Or does that just look bad?
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
Zaphkael
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Zaphkael
Little Did They Know
Little Did They Know

Post Post #2259 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:47 am

Post by Zaphkael »

I prefer "Alternatively," over "Alt-ernatively," but both are fine and I'm not opposed to just let mariaR choose which one they prefer, if the nomination goes through.
But I know, at the end...
Shoot me a message if you need a game reviewed!
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2260 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:10 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 2256, talah wrote:
In post 2255, PJ. wrote:I'm arguing that stepping up to do a task recently(as far as the history of that task goes) =/= being known for being the main person who does said task(especially among people whom that task relates) despite my being grateful they took on that role (and I'm not even accounting for quality of doing said task).

My argument is that Nero stepping up to do it recently has no bearing on the allocation of the title. Nero has been here forever, deserves a title, and in the current meta, they deserve a title which is apt - and "League Commissioner" fits that bill.

It does not imply that they are the "comptroller of leagues" (yes I said it - but it means something). It does not imply that others do not equally well, or over time, commission more, games in the league. Rather it simply demonstrates that Nero should be recognised, and at this point in time, it's an appropriate recognition.
If they are truly deserving of a title and are a recognizable persona on the site, then surely they have a trait that is worthy of a title aside from "this guy ran a fantasy league a couple times and wasn't even particularly good it"
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #2261 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:50 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 2259, Zaphkael wrote:I prefer "Alternatively," over "Alt-ernatively," but both are fine and I'm not opposed to just let mariaR choose which one they prefer, if the nomination goes through.
+1

Also, the harder panzer argues against Nero's title the less I care that panzer doesn't like Nero's title. Does anyone who doesn't come across as "I don't think Nero deserves a title" have an issue with it?
This is a Parachute.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #2262 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:08 am

Post by Psyche »

i tend to not like nero but i do think its a good title
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #2263 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:09 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 2262, Psyche wrote:i tend to not like nero but i do think its a good title
Nero is just misunderstood.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #2264 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:14 am

Post by Psyche »

we dont really have to get into whether he's a good guy or not; would be unfair to him given title discussion rules
just trying to contribute on the basis of the category jingle specified
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #2265 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:19 am

Post by Nahdia »

In post 2259, Zaphkael wrote:I prefer "Alternatively," over "Alt-ernatively," but both are fine and I'm not opposed to just let mariaR choose which one they prefer, if the nomination goes through.
fair. i just think it'd be nice to highlight the "Alt" part of the title, but i guess that's not really necessary. and the hyphen does make it look awkward.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

-Zaphkael, 2020
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #2266 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:22 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 2265, Nahdia wrote:
fair. i just think it'd be nice to highlight the "Alt" part of the title, but i guess that's not really necessary. and the hyphen does make it look awkward.
“ALTernatively”?
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #2267 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:32 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 2257, Zaphkael wrote:
In post 2105, northsidegal wrote:nom MariaR for
Twenty Two Faced

When looking back through the old title threads I think there was some pretty good discussion on a title for Maria that never ended up making it through because the title fairy changed at an inopportune moment. I personally think that "I Have Many Names" was the best of the titles suggested back then but I prefer Twenty Two Faced for a few reasons.

First, to justify either of the titles, among the traits that Maria is most well known for are being very good at scum, and having a lot of alts. "I Have Many Names" certainly fits the alt aspect of that well, and while it does have something of a sinister tone that might be reminiscent of scum, I can't help but feel that it understates the "being very good at scum" trait.

To me, "Twenty Two Faced" better incorporates both elements, with two faced being a more clear indicator of lying and being good at scum, and the more literal interpretation of twenty two faces being an allusion to a great deal of alternate accounts. Also, it's the sort of unique twist on a normal phrase ("two faced") that I feel like makes up a lot of classic titles, e.g. All Work and Roleplay, Best Newcrummer, etc.

i think that unlike a lot of titles that refer to people's unique personality traits that it's both really easily understandable while still having a bit underneath. also, include a hyphen anywhere as looks best.
So I've been thinking about this for the past few days and the best I've come up with I think is
"Alternatively,"

I'm not as good at explaining this as I want to but I think it's a good way to bring across the idea of "yeah you might think I'm scum, but what about..." and in general just describes their ability to convince people easily as a scum player.
It's also, quite literally, a reference to their amount of alts (both alt-ernatively and alternative accounts), which as nsg said is something that is really characteristic for them.
Lastly, to me, it also has the meaning that MariaR is just really good at adapting to the situation at hand and the people around them, and I feel like it's a large enough part of their personality to mention it.
I really really like this, can we get a bit more feedback on it? Good title, yes/no? I think it's good.
Wooper
Wooper
Unaware
Wooper
Unaware
Unaware

Post Post #2268 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:57 pm

Post by Wooper »

i was uncertain at first but i like it more each time i read 2257
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #2269 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:08 pm

Post by Alisae »

someone go get beeboy's attention im sure he would love to comment on the mariar title
GTKAS
| here.
Wooper
Wooper
Unaware
Wooper
Unaware
Unaware

Post Post #2270 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:09 pm

Post by Wooper »

BEEBOY I'M CALLING YOU OUT.
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #2271 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:19 am

Post by Enter »

nth league commissioner
is cancelled. Apologies to all who signed up.[/color]
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #2272 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:47 am

Post by Jingle »

I don't think the hyphenated or capitalized forms look great. The original is best imo.
This is a Parachute.
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #2273 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:58 am

Post by Nahdia »

Bump for the MariaR title. I like
Alternatively

-Zaphkael, 2020
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #2274 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:03 am

Post by Pine »

I prefer
Shapeshifter