Song Contest 151 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:20 pm

Post by Natirasha »

Back in the day it was done randomly yeah.
Current Avatar: Dr. Contessa(OC, art by @pastelpuffin)
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:58 pm

Post by Cyril »

shoutout to the 7 people cut in favor of waluigi
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:21 pm

Post by vizIIsto »

In post 51, Cyril wrote:shoutout to the 7 people cut in favor of waluigi
I was just about to say I now kinda feel ashamed for making the cut while memeing.
Currently away from site for indeterminate time (except for Song Contest)
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:07 pm

Post by Davsto »

Nah first come first served risks being unfair to people w different timezones to host and also discourages spending a little extra time considering what to submit. RNG's chill and the guaranteed entry into next contest you enter makes up for getting cut.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:07 pm

Post by Cyril »

i genuinely don't understand the point of meme entries in these contests
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:10 pm

Post by Davsto »

beans
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:17 pm

Post by PranaDevil »

It has to be randomized. That's the only fair way of doing it.
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:16 am

Post by Tammy »

Oops I forgot to submit. Oh well. I was having a hard time deciding what to submit.

It’s nice to see so many participating that we’re having cuts again though!

Random is the fairest way to do it; it just doesn’t feel that way when the rng gods don’t shine their light on you that day. It’s nice that you’re guaranteed in the next contest.
I am in the top 90% of scumhunters onsite!
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:37 am

Post by T-Bone »

Xtoxm our music love affair will have to wait until SC152
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:15 am

Post by Song Contest »

In post 43, Knightmare491 wrote:So, how is "everyone else" decided after the below mentioned 3 criteria?
I put all the entries that aren't "protected" into a spreadsheet and then run the random number generator on random.org, matching up the number it spits out with the row that the entry sits in on the spreadsheet. I do that as many times as I need to to get down to 26.
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:32 am

Post by Hiraki »

Oh no I might have to wait a few weeks rather than listen to them now in the very prestigious mafiascum song contest
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:41 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

In case anyone wants to use this, I made a playlist of all the songs. I couldn't find the waluigi one on spotify unfortunately so that one you'll have to just listen to that one on youtube: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1pw5L ... 2pSauTl68w
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:46 pm

Post by Nahdia »

i wouldnt necessarily call that unfortunate.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:38 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 61, VashtaNeurotic wrote:In case anyone wants to use this, I made a playlist of all the songs. I couldn't find the waluigi one on spotify unfortunately so that one you'll have to just listen to that one on youtube: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1pw5L ... 2pSauTl68w
might actually spur me to vote despite being a non-participant ty
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:14 pm

Post by PJ. »

The old voting rules should be applied to contests with cuts due to us changing this rules due to low participation.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Dr Easy Bake
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:36 am

Post by Dr Easy Bake »

Macau takes the cake.
ceejayvinoya
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:17 pm

Post by ceejayvinoya »

Ego to remind myself to vote
Ceejay is only gonna get better but his logic can be on the wrong side of lazy logic sometimes. ~the worst
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:43 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 64, PJ. wrote:The old voting rules should be applied to contests with cuts due to us changing the rules due to low participation.
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:07 pm

Post by vizIIsto »

Here's my comments on some of the songs again:

Australia
- If I was Japanese, I'd probably listen to this at least once a week because this is so my style. Oh, and his last name is awesome. Just like how I find it amusing that the new president of Nintendo of America is called Doug Bowser. :lol:
Macau
- I suddenly realised that out-of-tune and autotune sound very similar, as those two words perfectly sum up this song.
Belarus
- This is what happens when Shakespeare and Cardi B had a baby.
China
- I'm surprised this has ONLY 7 VIEWS, although they probably wouldn't come from me.
New Zealand
- Conclusion: Elon Musk can't sing.
Costa Rica
- I really like this genre of music and it always scores at least 6/10 from me. Sadly, I couldn't score it any higher because the song didn't fit well, and therefore this surprisingly dropped out of points.
Djibouti
- First time I gave a song a honest serious 1/10. Shit.
Poland
- I remember always giving Poland a lot of points in the past. This time it was still good but a bit disappointing from what I was used to expecting from Poland.
Canada
- One word: pure.
Armenia
- She really sounds like some other well-known female vocalist, but I can't figure out who I'm thinking of...
Vietnam
- Everybody be talkin' 'bout how I'm memeing this contest with Waluigi while some other jokemaster submitted Kermit singing the goddang alphabet.
Zambia
- GoTtA gO fAsT!

Mushroom Kingdom (my entry) - Yeah so I'm memeing this contest. It's a parody of a song, and it's still a song, so it counts, right? Anyways, this is just to cheer you up a bit cuz most of the entries are garbage anyways (being sarcastic). Hopefully it puts a smile to your face. Not expecting to gain any points from this.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:05 pm

Post by Vi »

I've finished my first pass. This contest happened but I'm not enthusiastic about it.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:17 am

Post by Scigatt »

Spoiler: This is another beta test of the Cryptic Rating System Ver. 3.0
The Principality of PranaDevil's Flat - C/B
Zambia - B/C
Mushroom Kingdom - D
South Korea - C/B
Vietnam - C

Armenia - C
Canada - B/C
Venezuela - C/B
Poland - B/C
Hungary - B/C

Brazil - B
Cuba - C/B+
USA - B/C
Djibouti - C/D
Costa Rica - C/B
New Zealand - B/C

Germany - C/B
Denmark - B/C+
Finland - B/C
Ireland - C/B+
China - C/B+

Belarus - B/C
Macau - C/D
Central African Republic - B/C-
Australia - B/C
Cote d'Ivoire - B/C
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:12 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 67, PJ. wrote:
In post 64, PJ. wrote:The old voting rules should be applied to contests with cuts due to us changing the rules due to low participation.
I think doing this would create inconsistency as we go back and forth on the rules depending on participation.

I also didn't see the rule change as being solely due to low participation. The ban system was counterproductive, and 20 points was also a little too harsh in my opinion. Ultimately the idea is to reward good songs. If you set the point penalty too high it can obscure how much people liked a song just because the person entering it didn't fully participate because they failed to vote.

Did you prefer the old voting rules?
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:32 am

Post by toolenduso »

Spoiler: There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination
Denmark - Plini - Electric Sunrise: O shit, this turned into something I was not expecting. I was under the impression that this was a chill atmospheric band. I like a lot of what they're doing, and the pairing of melodic guitar with chugga chugga guitar makes for a cool, unique sound. I think I'm gonna have to check out more from this band. This is my current favorite. GOOD.
Cote d'Ivoire - Death - Politicians In My Eyes: Well that was a fuckin cool intro. And....man, what an interesting song. Really quick, almost frantic drums and bass. Kinda punk-sounding vocals. Yeah, there's a lot of cool rhythm stuff going on here. GOOD.
The Principality of PranaDevil's Flat - Sheena Ringo - Open Secret: Well oh-fucking-kay, then, this is wild and fun. You got a hybrid funk-ska-pop vibe going on in the music and a kind of baffling mish-mash of oddities happening in the video. This is nice to listen to, and is fun and weird though I have the suspicion I would grow tired of it if I checked out more from the artist. Anyway, it'll definitely get points from me. DECENT.
Ireland - Vampire Weekend - Sympathy: Fun and very dynamic. Catchy. I like the weird vocal samples that get clipped before a whole word gets through. Production is quite good, actually. Yeah this'll get points. DECENT.
Armenia - Lianne La Havas - Lost & Found: Good piano and singing. Loving the production right now, it's very full-sounding. Yeah this was kinda cool, I can dig it. High up in this tier. DECENT.
Canada - Cody Fry - Underground: This is kinda cool. I like the sound, and the buildup, and the guitar work. One of my favorites of this tier. DECENT.
Finland - The Weeknd - Belong to the World: Hey look it's that one guy from Uncut Gems! The track is interesting, it actually complements his vocal vibrato really well. That said I'm not a huge fan of what they're doing to his voice in the editing booth. It was ok. DECENT.
Djibouti - The Machinist - Empire State of Emergency: I, um, I....it's cool that this is like, a pro-BLM metal song or whatever, but.....is it just me or does this video make it look like the problem is that black people aren't protesting against their own suffering enough? The vocalist is screaming at a black guy on the couch. Like, don't get it twisted, my people, white people are the problem. Anyway, musically the song's decent. I like the breakdown-y bit. The chorus is fairly bland. DECENT.
Hungary - Shea Diamond - Don't Shoot: This is ok. The singing is fairly good, anyway. It's got that "towering cathedral wall" sound that's hard to actually make sound good, and it doesn't strike right for me. DECENT.
USA - Audiostrobelight - A Fifth of Feelgood: Ya know, I was just wondering what ever happened to Yellowcard. Glad I found out. Actually the sound reminds me a lot of this local Reno band I'm gonna enter into the contest at some point. Rhythm tricks are cool. Violin is fun (really though, I wish rock bands would give violinists more room to run a la early DMB). It was ok. DECENT.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:44 am

Post by vizIIsto »

In post 70, Scigatt wrote:Mushroom Kingdom - D
Missed the chance to vote me
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:16 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 71, toolenduso wrote:
In post 67, PJ. wrote:
I think doing this would create inconsistency as we go back and forth on the rules depending on participation.

I also didn't see the rule change as being solely due to low participation. The ban system was counterproductive, and 20 points was also a little too harsh in my opinion. Ultimately the idea is to reward good songs. If you set the point penalty too high it can obscure how much people liked a song just because the person entering it didn't fully participate because they failed to vote.

Did you prefer the old voting rules?
I think banning is the important part and not the point deduction. I think it is inherently unfair for non-voters to participate while someone like EP, who is both a long time participatant and a consistent voter, has to sit out while a non-voter gets in. At the very least, since you are worried about consistency(and it would probably be a pain to track)could we amend the rules on cut order? Something like:

"1. First-time entrants

2. Last winner (whomever)

3. Current Song Contest Team (toolenduso and JurgenVW)

4. Any entrant who was cut in the period of the last 3 contests (except those cut for not voting) and has not used their guaranteed bid.
3 Contests remaining: Nobody!
2 Contests remaining: Nobody!
1 Contest remaining: Nobody!

5. Everyone that doesn't fit in the above categories or category 6

6. People who didn't vote in the last contest(or last 2 contest)"

Return to “General Discussion”