Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3625 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2020 1:37 pm

Post by VP Baltar »

In post 3623, Chickadee wrote:Betrayal Legacy

And I know you already mentioned it but I really liked Pandemic Legacy 1&2 - particularly 2.
Yeah Pandemic season 2 was amazing. Very excited for the 3rd season. I enjoyed Betrayal, but it was quite unbalanced as a game. Still very fun, but you can't expect good play to win it for you haha.

I see now that Clank actually has a legacy version that came out recently, that might be where I land since I do enjoy that game.
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3626 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2020 5:12 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

Clank! has good gameplay, but it's pretty light and the legacy feels a bit of a stretch for the mechanic
Note this comes from watching playthroughs
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #3627 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2020 5:27 pm

Post by vonflare »

i didnt even know clank had a legacy mechanic

have I been playing it wrong?
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3628 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2020 5:47 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

separate game
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3629 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2020 8:42 pm

Post by chamber »

This isn't strictly a legacy game depending on how you define it (its also expensive) but I'm a huge fan or Arkham Horror LCG.

(There are 3-8 mission campaigns but nothing is permanently altered between campaigns).
Taking a break from the site.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #3630 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2020 8:52 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Guys I've been playing Root for over a year and just found out destroying buildings and tokens gives victory points

I kind of want to cry
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #3631 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2020 9:05 pm

Post by McMenno »

you didn't know???
mafiascum is on life support
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3632 (ISO) » Sun May 31, 2020 5:38 am

Post by VP Baltar »

In post 3629, chamber wrote:This isn't strictly a legacy game depending on how you define it (its also expensive) but I'm a huge fan or Arkham Horror LCG.

(There are 3-8 mission campaigns but nothing is permanently altered between campaigns).
I've heard good things. We do have one player who tends to need assistance with more complex games. When we played Gloomhaven, it was definitely alot of "you sure you want to do that?"

Is Arkham fairly complex?
YOUR AD HERE

chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3633 (ISO) » Sun May 31, 2020 5:57 am

Post by chamber »

Just the base game isn't too complex, but as the card pool expanded the player cards got more complicated, and the newer campaigns are more complicated in general than the first 3.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3634 (ISO) » Sun May 31, 2020 11:14 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 3632, VP Baltar wrote: We do have one player who tends to need assistance with more complex games. When we played Gloomhaven, it was definitely alot of "you sure you want to do that?"
You might consider Clank! actually
It's essentially like the base game, but aspects of your deck get carried through and your board gets bigger as you explore
Not the heaviest of games and as its not co-op it isnt messing up to much for other players if someone is playing suboptimally
Also has legacy mechanics where decisions will impact what becomes available on your board/deck in future games
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3635 (ISO) » Sun May 31, 2020 12:12 pm

Post by VP Baltar »

Yeah, I think that's the right move for our group. Thanks for the input!
YOUR AD HERE

BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #3636 (ISO) » Sun May 31, 2020 12:22 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 3631, McMenno wrote:you didn't know???
Legit missed that rule

I don't know how, but we did
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3637 (ISO) » Sun May 31, 2020 7:53 pm

Post by chamber »

That's a pretty big rule to miss, but we've had games we played for years that we got minor rules wrong for. One instance would be keyflower, played it for years before realizing green meeples used to bid go back to the general meeple bag rather than the green stock.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #3638 (ISO) » Sun May 31, 2020 8:57 pm

Post by implosion »

Definitely the most egregious rules misunderstanding I've done is when I was being taught Android: Netrunner. We thought whenever you broke all subroutines on a piece of ICE, that you trashed it. Kind of horrifically gamebreaking. We figured it out after not too long though I think.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3639 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:41 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 3637, chamber wrote:That's a pretty big rule to miss, but we've had games we played for years that we got minor rules wrong for. One instance would be keyflower, played it for years before realizing green meeples used to bid go back to the general meeple bag rather than the green stock.
it took me about 4 or 5 scenarios of Gloomhaven to realize there was a default Attack 2/Move 2 option for all cards. I was just tossing Lost actions a lot of times because I didn't realize I could chose not to do them.

On the other hand, I played only my second game of Gloomhaven with other people yesterday (Brother and nephew). We were getting creamed in Scenario 2, but I managed to pull a win out of our ass by Immobilizing and Stunning the Bandit Commander for 4 straight rounds using the Mindthief, a Stamina pot and help from the Tinkerer. Then after the game I realized he can't be stunned or immobilized. Don't know what to tell my party about that.
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3640 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:08 pm

Post by Chickadee »

When I was taught Burgle Bros, we'd always had 4 players. It took me years to find out you take out cards when building the guard decks if you have fewer players.
Instagram: BoneSpellArts

"Yo I'm so good at anime girls" - pj
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3641 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:40 am

Post by shaft.ed »

I've been Gloomhavening solo a lot recently
While it's fun and engaging, I think the way Personal Quests are implemented leaves a lot to be desired

Spoiler: minor spoilers
Since so many of them are 'kill X number of ys' and in a lot of cases, that monster type is far from plentiful, I find with some characters I'm making decisions based on 'is that more likely to spawn Forest Imps?'. And have even gotten to the point of checking all the scenarios for rewards to figure out which scenarios get unlcoked and chaining down three scenarios in each direction (narrator voice: there were no Forest Imps). It's gotten to the point where I'm essentially ignoring the legacy aspects of the story line because I'm tired of playing a certain class and want to unlock the next, but have no way of doing so. Maybe the forest imp one is a severe case (I've only found two scenarios with them, one I already completed and one that was locked), but have run into similar cases though not as annoying.

In this regard, the only retirement goal I've gotten that felt organic was the 'obtain 15 checks'. I know this is boring from a flavor aspect, but its the only time I didn't feel like I had to hunt around away from the actual lore with player motivations in a bad way. Better yet, it's essentially unavoidable unless you want to gimp your character. I wish (hope) there were more simple Quests like this (ie. spend X gold, drink X potions, enhance X cards, win X scenarios). They're great because you really feel the clock ticking down towards retirement. All of the kill x number of y ones can be annoying gamed to speed up or slow down progress at the expense of the legacy storyline
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3642 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:02 am

Post by VP Baltar »

In post 3641, shaft.ed wrote:I've been Gloomhavening solo a lot recently
While it's fun and engaging, I think the way Personal Quests are implemented leaves a lot to be desired

Spoiler: minor spoilers
Since so many of them are 'kill X number of ys' and in a lot of cases, that monster type is far from plentiful, I find with some characters I'm making decisions based on 'is that more likely to spawn Forest Imps?'. And have even gotten to the point of checking all the scenarios for rewards to figure out which scenarios get unlcoked and chaining down three scenarios in each direction (narrator voice: there were no Forest Imps). It's gotten to the point where I'm essentially ignoring the legacy aspects of the story line because I'm tired of playing a certain class and want to unlock the next, but have no way of doing so. Maybe the forest imp one is a severe case (I've only found two scenarios with them, one I already completed and one that was locked), but have run into similar cases though not as annoying.

In this regard, the only retirement goal I've gotten that felt organic was the 'obtain 15 checks'. I know this is boring from a flavor aspect, but its the only time I didn't feel like I had to hunt around away from the actual lore with player motivations in a bad way. Better yet, it's essentially unavoidable unless you want to gimp your character. I wish (hope) there were more simple Quests like this (ie. spend X gold, drink X potions, enhance X cards, win X scenarios). They're great because you really feel the clock ticking down towards retirement. All of the kill x number of y ones can be annoying gamed to speed up or slow down progress at the expense of the legacy storyline
Getting a bad retirement goal is the worst!

It of course never fails that would happen to me when I would chose a character who seemed cool at first, but inevitably did not fit my playstyle. You can only throw out so many heals for your team as the tinkerer before you start getting jealous of that Brute broadsword swipe.

Does playing solo really limit the number of characters who are viable to play with? I have to imagine some of the support characters are kind of useless
YOUR AD HERE

shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3643 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:20 am

Post by shaft.ed »

you can play the solo game with as many slots as you like
I'm playing with two, which I think is most common so that you can have interactions, but not needless complication
The only difference is when you retire a character and gain the extra perk for your next one, it is tracked per slot and not per player

Spoiler:
I started with Brute + Scoundrel, and they fed off eachother great. Retired the Brute for an Elementalist, which was horrible. Fortunately the Scoundrel soon retired into a Sunkeeper, which worked well. And after I got bored of the Elementalist is when I started running into the retirement problem. He had the side quests retirement plan, and I just didn't get enough of them, which got tedious. Retired the Elementalist into the Moon guy yesterday. Sunkeeper is the one cursed with Imps and no end in sight.

Another big problem with the retirement goals, is if you haven't played before you just have no idea what its going to take. Which is really cool at first, until you're like "do Forest Imps even exist?".

And yes, the Tinkerer very much feels misadvertised. The name screams some cool inventor type character. But aside from burn cards, you're mostly just doing support.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3644 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:50 am

Post by chamber »

Spoiler:
I think I could tell you more scenarios with forest imps if you want
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3645 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:07 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

it took me FOREVER to do that exact same quest you have, shaft.ed

if it helps, the class you unlock from it is a fucking blast.
green shirt thursdays
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #3646 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:41 am

Post by Errantparabola »

that's the one i have in our campaign. one of us has already retired. i have made: 0 progress.
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3647 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:46 am

Post by chamber »

I think there is actually more than one that has the requirement he talked about, and one is shit imo.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3648 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:13 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 3645, xRECKONERx wrote:it took me FOREVER to do that exact same quest you have, shaft.ed

if it helps, the class you unlock from it is a fucking blast.
i dont think i have the class version
it's one of the lettered envelopes

intrigue
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3649 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:16 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 3644, chamber wrote:
Spoiler:
I think I could tell you more scenarios with forest imps if you want
I've read once I get to 4 prosperity the Town Records book will unlock a quest with Imps
I'm about 2 ticks from hitting that
so for now just focusing on having some fun with the new Moon character

I have to say, I am enjoying pumping the monster deck full of curses while simultaneously blessing the crap out of my decks. It's a fulfilling combo when it pays off

Return to “The Arcade”