Worcestershire
Goon
Worcestershire
Goon
Goon

Post Post #450 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:15 am

Post by Worcestershire »

In post 448, Deimos27 wrote:
In post 445, Worcestershire wrote:I didn't understand the line about cognitive load.
Having a larger cognitive load is a characteristic of scum that can become exceptionally apparent in less experienced players, whose posting habits end up suffering from brevity and scarcity.
Seems to me a characteristic associated more with the playstyle than necessarily with apathy because of pressure scenarios.

Is there any statistical margin for this statement ?
votato
votato
Mafia Scum
votato
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #451 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:17 am

Post by votato »

In post 450, Worcestershire wrote:
In post 445, Worcestershire wrote:I didn't understand the line about cognitive load.
Having a larger cognitive load is a characteristic of scum that can become exceptionally apparent in less experienced players, whose posting habits end up suffering from brevity and scarcity.
Seems to me a characteristic associated more with the playstyle than necessarily with apathy because of pressure scenarios.

its not simply that lurky people are scum, but that scum have a hard time faking being genuine, and there is additional cognitive load associated with lying and sustaining a lie. this causes scum to be more likely not to get jokes, to not pick up on cues, etc.
"It is not our ignorance that will kill us, but our arrogance"
"I expect that 90% of what you say to me is one form of trickery or another" - a friend irl
superbowl9
superbowl9
Mafia Scum
superbowl9
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #452 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:21 am

Post by superbowl9 »

In post 442, Deimos27 wrote:I'm pretty convinced Battle Mage is town at this point.
Why?
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #453 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:24 am

Post by Battle Mage »

In post 452, superbowl9 wrote:
In post 442, Deimos27 wrote:I'm pretty convinced Battle Mage is town at this point.
Why?
It's most likely he graduated from the BM school of scumhunting - and is well qualified to judge both town and scum. No explanation needed methinks... ;)

Or alternatively, he's scum and he knows I'm town. :giggle:
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
superbowl9
superbowl9
Mafia Scum
superbowl9
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #454 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:25 am

Post by superbowl9 »

In post 451, votato wrote:
In post 450, Worcestershire wrote:

its not simply that lurky people are scum, but that scum have a hard time faking being genuine, and there is additional cognitive load associated with lying and sustaining a lie. this causes scum to be more likely not to get jokes, to not pick up on cues, etc.
Actually I believe cognitive load can (and more often does) work the other way - scum become hypersensitive to every small interaction, joke, etc. because they don't want to "slip up". This leads to inactivity from an overthinking or fear that they will put out something scummy into the game.
superbowl9
superbowl9
Mafia Scum
superbowl9
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #455 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:26 am

Post by superbowl9 »

In post 453, Battle Mage wrote:
In post 452, superbowl9 wrote:
Why?
It's most likely he graduated from the BM school of scumhunting - and is well qualified to judge both town and scum. No explanation needed methinks... ;)

Or alternatively, he's scum and he knows I'm town. :giggle:
Oh, gotcha :cop: can't wait till I get my degree! How much was that student loan debt again?
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #456 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:37 am

Post by Battle Mage »

an idea:

if we can make it through Day 1 without outting the hider, would it be sensible for everyone to claim a name they would target if they were the hider? this way if the hider dies without their target dying, we will likely have 1 confirmed scum? probably most helpful if we try and get a reasonable diverse spread of names too.
Show

Nightkilled - 10

superbowl9
superbowl9
Mafia Scum
superbowl9
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #457 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:52 am

Post by superbowl9 »

This sounds good to me
superbowl9
superbowl9
Mafia Scum
superbowl9
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #458 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:54 am

Post by superbowl9 »

Unless a lot of people choose the same person to hide behind, that's the only downside I can see
superbowl9
superbowl9
Mafia Scum
superbowl9
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #459 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:54 am

Post by superbowl9 »

My last two rhymed, let's make it three
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #460 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:56 am

Post by Battle Mage »

yes, we'd have to ensure some diversity
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Deimos27
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #461 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:56 am

Post by Deimos27 »

Battle Mage gives me like 16 tonnes of resonance every time he posts. He's active and engaged, he's scumhunting, he's tonally squeaky clean.
I don't have substantial logical reason for why he is town, but this is one of the stronger gutreads I've had in my mafia career.
Deimos27
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Deimos27
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #462 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:03 pm

Post by Deimos27 »

I don't immediately see any problems with hypoclaiming hider targets. They will become slowly outed by PoE due to not dying after visiting scum or the NK target, but I don't know how long we'd need the hider's identity to remain secret anyway.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #463 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:06 pm

Post by Battle Mage »

Scumpool:
piisirattional
Marashu
Midari Ikishima
ceejayvinoya

Townpool:
Deimos27
word321
superbowl9
Worcestershire

To be confirmed:
Tuxedo Mask
votato
Doctor Drew
brassherald
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #464 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:09 pm

Post by Battle Mage »

In post 462, Deimos27 wrote:I don't immediately see any problems with hypoclaiming hider targets. They will become slowly outed by PoE due to not dying after visiting scum or the NK target, but I don't know how long we'd need the hider's identity to remain secret anyway.
that's definitely true - it's basically a conservative strategy which reduces top-end opportunity (hider actually going on a miracle run and winning town the game) but reduces bottom-end risk by making sure hider doesnt die night 1 or 2 and give us no info.
Show

Nightkilled - 10

ceejayvinoya
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #465 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:40 pm

Post by ceejayvinoya »

In post 395, Tuxedo Mask wrote:@CJ do you prefer playing town or scum?

@Worcestershire what made that case more appealing over the cases on me, Midari, Pi, or BM?
I prefer playing town as it's easier.
Ceejay is only gonna get better but his logic can be on the wrong side of lazy logic sometimes. ~the worst
ceejayvinoya
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #466 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:41 pm

Post by ceejayvinoya »

In post 402, Midari Ikishima wrote:
In post 396, word321 wrote:L-1
I didn't see the hidden vote from Worchest

Honestly how long are you going to waffle and not put any thoughts down.

VOTE: Worch
It's getting to a point where you are just coasting thru it feels.
What happened to your self explanatory marashu case???
Ceejay is only gonna get better but his logic can be on the wrong side of lazy logic sometimes. ~the worst
ceejayvinoya
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #467 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:48 pm

Post by ceejayvinoya »

In post 411, Battle Mage wrote:Definitely bad feels about how the Marashu wagon got to -1, and then fell away.

I'm not sure about this progression, Mr Ikishima:
In post 386, Midari Ikishima wrote:
In post 385, Nash wrote:Image
What's up?

I'd appreciate it if someone can give me an unbiased tl;dr
People be lurking.

People be V/LA

People town read Demios and Votato I think.
Marashu is scum.

VOTE: Marashu

It's self explanatory
In post 402, Midari Ikishima wrote:
In post 396, word321 wrote:L-1
I didn't see the hidden vote from Worchest

Honestly how long are you going to waffle and not put any thoughts down.

VOTE: Worch
It's getting to a point where you are just coasting thru it feels.
Hear.

Everyone's saying BM is supposed to be weird and unreadable but I'm feeling better about him being likely town.
superbowl9
superbowl9
Mafia Scum
superbowl9
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #468 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:56 pm

Post by superbowl9 »

In post 461, Deimos27 wrote:Battle Mage gives me like 16 tonnes of resonance every time he posts. He's active and engaged, he's scumhunting, he's tonally squeaky clean.
I don't have substantial logical reason for why he is town, but this is one of the stronger gutreads I've had in my mafia career.
Got it, but be careful not to ride gutreads too far! They can be your best friend and worst enemy
votato
votato
Mafia Scum
votato
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #469 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:31 pm

Post by votato »

In post 468, superbowl9 wrote:
In post 461, Deimos27 wrote:Battle Mage gives me like 16 tonnes of resonance every time he posts. He's active and engaged, he's scumhunting, he's tonally squeaky clean.
Got it, but be careful not to ride gutreads too far! They can be your best friend and worst enemy
lets be honest, everything is a gutread. sometimes we just pretend we have better reasoning.
"I expect that 90% of what you say to me is one form of trickery or another" - a friend irl
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #470 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:47 pm

Post by Doctor Drew »

I do tend to agree.

I also agree with his hider plan.

Let me catch up with the rest of today's happenings as well.
'dREW DID IT BETTER' - T-Bone
'actually ya drew is useless' - Snivy
'I love playing with him, he's got an amazing presence to him that just feels like the game is lacking something when he's not there' - JacksonVirgo
superbowl9
superbowl9
Mafia Scum
superbowl9
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #471 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:07 pm

Post by superbowl9 »

In post 469, votato wrote:
lets be honest, everything is a gutread. sometimes we just pretend we have better reasoning.
This is true, which is why aside from townblocing people for shorter amounts of time, it's good to be able to change your reads. Hence deimos should not ride this very strong townread the rest of the game without examination
votato
votato
Mafia Scum
votato
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #472 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:12 pm

Post by votato »

In post 471, superbowl9 wrote:
In post 469, votato wrote:
This is true, which is why aside from townblocing people for shorter amounts of time, it's good to be able to change your reads. Hence deimos should not ride this very strong townread the rest of the game without examination
do you think deimos was doing that? what are you trying to get at here?
Midari Ikishima
Midari Ikishima
Goon
Midari Ikishima
Goon
Goon

Post Post #473 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:49 pm

Post by Midari Ikishima »

In post 436, Worcestershire wrote:Regarding my participation in the game, I have nothing relevant to share and I do not intend to invent anything to create the false impression of activity.
So you have no thoughts on the game.
Awesome. Great job. Happy with this thus far.

The fact that we can't look past a little slip of not seeing something and me moving because "heat" I find a bit disturbing as I'm not sure how many games you have been apart of where "oh that was a hammer" has happened in games you have been in. I've been around long enough to have it happen more times then I want to admit. Call it what you want. It's mildly infuriating.

I don't understand what superbowl9 is getting at roughly with the town block and what have you and what not l. Maybe I'm a bit delusional but I would expect everyone's reads to change at some point in this game otherwise this is going to get ugly quickly.
Midari Ikishima
Midari Ikishima
Goon
Midari Ikishima
Goon
Goon

Post Post #474 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:52 pm

Post by Midari Ikishima »

In post 431, votato wrote:whoops. If im not invested im probably town
I hate how people can use this as a tell.
It's like oh I'm not scum I'm just going to fuck off for a bit. Ironically you can manipulate this and flip it so you just fly under the radar.
In post 422, votato wrote:well my case rests primarily on midari being scum. but if that isnt enough reason for you to vote someone (FoS on you again), midari's tone/style doesnt match town!midari. more to come.
How many games have you seen me in from the start in? Most times I've replaced into games where I have to figure out the motivation from the slot before me. It's quite aggravating sometimes just for how people can muck up a slot.

Return to “Completed Open Games”