New Rule: Replace the Word "Lynch" in Games

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
HoldenGolden
HoldenGolden
Mafia Scum
HoldenGolden
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (isolation #0) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:32 am

Post by HoldenGolden »

An understandable change.

Could "Guillotined" replace the previous wording be a more suitable replacement? I dont believe the word as a specific connotation with any particular groups (expect the french), and is a distinctive enough flavour to not worry about any confusion from roles.
HoldenGolden
HoldenGolden
Mafia Scum
HoldenGolden
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (isolation #1) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:32 am

Post by HoldenGolden »

To be*

I swear I know basic english
HoldenGolden
HoldenGolden
Mafia Scum
HoldenGolden
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (isolation #2) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:45 am

Post by HoldenGolden »

In post 18, T-Bone wrote:
In post 16, HoldenGolden wrote:An understandable change.

Could "Guillotined" replace the previous wording be a more suitable replacement? I dont believe the word as a specific connotation with any particular groups (expect the french), and is a distinctive enough flavour to not worry about any confusion from roles.
You can use an appropriate term to replace 'eliminate' in games you moderate. We're going to use 'eliminate' as the basic term, but if you want to use an alternate flavor term that isn't lynching (or otherwise breaks site rules), that is okay. The term you chose may also be charged depending on the country one lives in, so keep that in mind.
Ah gotcha.

That does raise a question though. Should the newbie queue enforce all games there to use the same verb, such as eliminate, to keep consistency? I would imagine seeing the same mechanic labelled differently may cause some confusion for truely new players.
HoldenGolden
HoldenGolden
Mafia Scum
HoldenGolden
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #181 (isolation #3) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:45 am

Post by HoldenGolden »

Regardless of if they are good or bad apples, they are apples nonetheless. If the tree they fall from is plagued by issues, then the fruit will reflect it. In this case, that tree is the system and culture built within the police which any new member of the force is subjected to.

I dont think anyone would disagree that cops in the US, for example, should be trained for much longer if they are going to have the capacity to use lethal force in the manner typically employed today. Or admitting there have been a number of high profile cases that cops frabicated evidence and putting stops to that. The goal should be focusing on improving and changing that system/culture which I think personally is happening today.

(Also scum rolecop is a common cop variant used on the mafia side in regards to cop named roles
HoldenGolden
HoldenGolden
Mafia Scum
HoldenGolden
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #227 (isolation #4) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:30 am

Post by HoldenGolden »

In post 226, Umlaut wrote:I have an idea

How about all the people who hate this new rule can strawman all the people who love it

And all the people who love this new rule can strawman all the people who hate it

And then we can all just take turns hurling absurd misrepresentations of the opposing view at one another for the next ten pages
Wait isnt that just playing mafia?
HoldenGolden
HoldenGolden
Mafia Scum
HoldenGolden
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #260 (isolation #5) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:45 am

Post by HoldenGolden »

In post 251, Errantparabola wrote:has anyone suggested "guillotine"
I did. See first page; (any change is fine. There has not been a site wide set replacement).

I also like "erased" thanos style.
HoldenGolden
HoldenGolden
Mafia Scum
HoldenGolden
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #282 (isolation #6) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:53 am

Post by HoldenGolden »

In post 274, Menalque wrote:I will be using the flavour “guillotined”’ in any games I may run in the future
/pre in to all future games
HoldenGolden
HoldenGolden
Mafia Scum
HoldenGolden
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #615 (isolation #7) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:53 pm

Post by HoldenGolden »

In post 610, Aristophanes wrote:
In post 609, Umlaut wrote:The only reasonable replacement here is
yeeted
yote
Okay this I might legit adopt!

Fantastic contribution!
Nthed. Though I may have to pull out the middle english to make it proper (as 'holden wast/hath been yote out of town' is better).

Return to “News”