New Rule: Replace the Word "Lynch" in Games

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #675 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:38 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 669, Dunnstral wrote:
In post 663, Fredrick A Campbell wrote:
In post 304, AniX wrote:The amount of people actually, legitimately bent out of shape and to some degree UPSET AND ANGRY about having to use a different word in a forum game because a different word is hurtful to some people is...pathetic to say the absolute least. You'd think half these people were the ones who wrote the standard definition of lynch in the dictionary, the way they are taking something extremely easy, simple, and inconsequential for them to follow so personally.
Definition of lynch according to Google
Definition of lynch according to Merriam-Webster
Definition of lynch according to Cambridge English Dictionary
Definition of lynch according to Dictionary.com

Hence, I am utterly confused by how this word is even supposed to offend anyone.
Good post.
I hardly think you're qualified to judge post quality.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #676 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:38 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 652, Dunnstral wrote:
In post 648, DeathNote wrote:Yes it is. The opinion is that Lynching has nothing to do with race which is racist as Lynching has everything to do with race.
Do not confuse the United States with the entire world.
maybe don't claim there is literally no history of the word being racially charged when it obviously is?

Like seriously, your claim is incorrect, you have been shown it is incorrect. Yet you continue to argue it.

I guess you can fuck off too.
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #677 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:39 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

In post 674, DeathNote wrote:Because lots of black people died by racists white people.
Nobody here is arguing against saying 'died' though.
Fredrick A Campbell
Fredrick A Campbell
Fre/He/She/It/They/伊
Mafia Scum
Fredrick A Campbell
Fre/He/She/It/They/伊
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: Fre/He/She/It/They/伊

Post Post #678 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:40 pm

Post by Fredrick A Campbell »

In post 664, AniX wrote:
In post 658, Nero Cain wrote:you guys do know that lynchings happened long before the trans-Atlantic slave trade. I mean, yes, the word lynch does carry so many racist undertones b/c of how the KKK used lynches for black ppl but I just wanted to point out that it is has been a punishment for ONLY blacks is absolutely false.
Nobody has suggested that ONLY black people have ever been lynched. They are saying that the term lynching has been so irreversibly linked to the systematic murder of black people in the United States that it has overtaken in priority any mundane usage of the term.

There are mundane uses of the Swastika and they extend back far further than the Nazi regime, but you'll have a tough argument in suggesting we should allow swastika avatar even if they aren't the Nazi kind.
Heard of the Red Swastika Society? There is one where I live.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #679 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:40 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 677, Dunnstral wrote:
In post 674, DeathNote wrote:Because lots of black people died by racists white people.
What.
A.
Fucking.
Dumb.
Take.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #680 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:40 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 658, Nero Cain wrote:you guys do know that lynchings happened long before the trans-Atlantic slave trade. I mean, yes, the word lynch does carry so many racist undertones b/c of how the KKK used lynches for black ppl but I just wanted to point out that it is has been a punishment for ONLY blacks is absolutely false.
I don't believe this is the claim being made here.

The term has racist undertones and therefore should not be used.

Easy.
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #681 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:41 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

yes, we're arguing against saying "lynched" which, in the context of recent history, has a very specific connotation against black people

green shirt thursdays
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #682 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:41 pm

Post by AniX »

Right, because died has never been a term in any country that was used specifically to refer to a type of systematic murder of minority populations. It never lost its generality. In the United States, lynching has.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #683 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:41 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 678, Fredrick A Campbell wrote:
In post 664, AniX wrote:
Nobody has suggested that ONLY black people have ever been lynched. They are saying that the term lynching has been so irreversibly linked to the systematic murder of black people in the United States that it has overtaken in priority any mundane usage of the term.

There are mundane uses of the Swastika and they extend back far further than the Nazi regime, but you'll have a tough argument in suggesting we should allow swastika avatar even if they aren't the Nazi kind.
Relevance?
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #684 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:42 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 664, AniX wrote:

So do you believe that if someone wished to put their logo up as their avatar, that should be permitted?
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Fredrick A Campbell
Fredrick A Campbell
Fre/He/She/It/They/伊
Mafia Scum
Fredrick A Campbell
Fre/He/She/It/They/伊
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #685 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:43 pm

In post 674, DeathNote wrote:
In post 304, AniX wrote:The amount of people actually, legitimately bent out of shape and to some degree UPSET AND ANGRY about having to use a different word in a forum game because a different word is hurtful to some people is...pathetic to say the absolute least. You'd think half these people were the ones who wrote the standard definition of lynch in the dictionary, the way they are taking something extremely easy, simple, and inconsequential for them to follow so personally.

Hence, I am utterly confused by how this word is even supposed to offend anyone.
Because lots of black people died by racists white people.

Also I'm utterly confused as to why you care? Either the word is racist or it isn't, why does it matter to you if it stays or go?
It actually doesn't. I just wanted to understand how a word that doesn't refer to a group of people was racist.
Fredrick A Campbell
Fredrick A Campbell
Fre/He/She/It/They/伊
Mafia Scum
Fredrick A Campbell
Fre/He/She/It/They/伊
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #686 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:43 pm

In post 684, AniX wrote:
In post 664, AniX wrote:

So do you believe that if someone wished to put their logo up as their avatar, that should be permitted?
I make no judgement on the matter.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #687 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:44 pm

Post by xyzzy »

I have a serious and simple suggestion for a replacement verb: "mobbed". it's one syllable and the word "mob" is already a small part of site culture with "a mob has formed". it doesn't have went overlap with other terminology and it clearly suggests the idea of a large group ganging up on one person.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #688 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:44 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 685, Fredrick A Campbell wrote:It actually doesn't. I just wanted to understand how a word that doesn't refer to a group of people was racist.
I'm sure there's a lot you want to understand. Good luck climbing that hill some day.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #689 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:45 pm

Post by Ythan »

Yeah this Fred guy is just another low effort idiot troll.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #690 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:46 pm

Post by Porkens »

In post 687, xyzzy wrote:I have a serious and simple suggestion for a replacement verb: "mobbed". it's one syllable and the word "mob" is already a small part of site culture with "a mob has formed". it doesn't have went overlap with other terminology and it clearly suggests the idea of a large group ganging up on one person.
Oh I like it. Lemme try it out..

Flashmobbed lol

Lolmob!

Yeah nice balance, swings good
Fredrick A Campbell
Fredrick A Campbell
Fre/He/She/It/They/伊
Mafia Scum
Fredrick A Campbell
Fre/He/She/It/They/伊
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #691 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:46 pm

In post 689, Ythan wrote:Yeah this Fred guy is just another low effort idiot troll.
This is considered trolling?
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #692 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:47 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 685, Fredrick A Campbell wrote:

Also I'm utterly confused as to why you care? Either the word is racist or it isn't, why does it matter to you if it stays or go?
It actually doesn't. I just wanted to understand how a word that doesn't refer to a group of people was racist.
Because it refers, in the United States, specifically to a type of systematic murder of people of a certain race. A dictionary doesn't intend to capture sociopolitical circumstances so it doesn't include that context, but that doesn't mean the context isn't there.

There are plenty of things that don't specifically refer to a group of people but nevertheless carries racial animus with it because of how it was used over years and years.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #693 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:47 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 691, Fredrick A Campbell wrote:
In post 689, Ythan wrote:Yeah this Fred guy is just another low effort idiot troll.
Nobody cares moron.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #694 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:48 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

I mean, it seems like you're going out of your way to not understand. What do you think?

Ninja'd
Ya that works too
- Jingle
Fredrick A Campbell
Fredrick A Campbell
Fre/He/She/It/They/伊
Mafia Scum
Fredrick A Campbell
Fre/He/She/It/They/伊
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #695 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:48 pm

In post 692, AniX wrote:
In post 685, Fredrick A Campbell wrote:

Because it refers, in the United States, specifically to a type of systematic murder of people of a certain race. A dictionary doesn't intend to capture sociopolitical circumstances so it doesn't include that context, but that doesn't mean the context isn't there.

There are plenty of things that don't specifically refer to a group of people but nevertheless carries racial animus with it because of how it was used over years and years.
Thanks.
Fredrick A Campbell
Fredrick A Campbell
Fre/He/She/It/They/伊
Mafia Scum
Fredrick A Campbell
Fre/He/She/It/They/伊
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #696 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:49 pm

In post 694, Aristophanes wrote:
I mean, it seems like you're going out of your way to not understand. What do you think?

Ninja'd
Ya that works too
I wasn't. I've understood.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #697 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:49 pm

Post by DeathNote »

You're so right. In fact, why don't we still just keep calling Germans Nazi. Words are meaningless anyways right?
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #698 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:50 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 696, Fredrick A Campbell wrote:

Ninja'd
Ya that works too
In that case, my apologies, and thanks for your openness! I didn't mean to prejudge your posting.
- Jingle
Fredrick A Campbell
Fredrick A Campbell
Fre/He/She/It/They/伊
Mafia Scum
Fredrick A Campbell
Fre/He/She/It/They/伊
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #699 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:51 pm

In post 698, Aristophanes wrote:
In post 696, Fredrick A Campbell wrote:

Ninja'd
Ya that works too
In that case, my apologies, and thanks for your openness! I didn't mean to prejudge your posting.
It's ok.

Return to “News”