Dance of the Title Thread: Resurgence in wild?

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2375 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:29 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 2372, northsidegal wrote: i want to say that "LyLo and Behold" is really the only variant of the title that really works. replacing lylo with elo or another variation doesn't seem very forward thinking because there isn't really a consensus replacement term and so it just ends up not making sense if a different term than the one we use is what becomes commonplace.
ELo

Incorrect.
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #2376 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:31 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 2370, Alisae wrote:nth
elo and behold

nth
The More the MariaR
actually altneratively isn't bad and bee likes it so i don't mind it
GTKAS
| here.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2377 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:32 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 2375, Aristophanes wrote:
In post 2372, northsidegal wrote: i want to say that "LyLo and Behold" is really the only variant of the title that really works. replacing lylo with elo or another variation doesn't seem very forward thinking because there isn't really a consensus replacement term and so it just ends up not making sense if a different term than the one we use is what becomes commonplace.
ELo

Incorrect.
when i say "consensus replacement term" i mean more "commonplace" than "official"
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2378 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:33 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 2373, Ariel wrote:I think medium pharma is a lower quality title than shot count and it references a petty insult from a newly permabanned user. I guess it being a reference to Discussion-related stuff is more representative of how Equinox interacts with the site now. I would be sad to see Shot Count go but medium pharma is kinda funny at least
Despite being a medium pharma supporter, I agree that Shot Count is stronger. But I want Equinox to get to make the decision.
To be clear: quack
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #2379 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:47 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 2377, northsidegal wrote:
ELo

Incorrect.
when i say "consensus replacement term" i mean more "commonplace" than "official"
That's fine and I understand. This change only happened what, 3 days ago now?

But in order to change mindsets and if not have another term replace it, make that term less commonplace, we need to stop using it as much as possible.

We like to meme a lot about how "Tiny Text under the username" is "JUST SO IMPORTANT!!!" and I just want to remind you that it is still a large part of site culture and therefore effects people's views of this place and the acceptability of certain terms.

If we make a new title with "LyLo" in it now, we are regressing or stagnating and propagating a hateful culture, even if unintended.

This should not be considered for a title ever again, and I think mastina should go through the titles which have been given and systematically remove all titles with "Lynch" "LyLo" and any other terms that could incite hatred or imply hate speech, racism, etc.

This is our time to make a change. Don't fuck it up for some tiny text under a username.
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #2380 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:47 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 2378, SleepyKrew wrote:
In post 2373, Ariel wrote:I think medium pharma is a lower quality title than shot count and it references a petty insult from a newly permabanned user. I guess it being a reference to Discussion-related stuff is more representative of how Equinox interacts with the site now. I would be sad to see Shot Count go but medium pharma is kinda funny at least
Despite being a medium pharma supporter, I agree that Shot Count is stronger. But I want Equinox to get to make the decision.
Nth
- Jingle
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #2381 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:02 pm

Post by schadd_ »

In post 2328, Errantparabola wrote:I'm like kind of working off the mediumly strong belief that schadd will literally like the word "pukebox"
yup
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: shaft.ed

Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #2382 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:17 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 2379, Aristophanes wrote:I think mastina should go through the titles which have been given and systematically remove all titles with "Lynch" "LyLo" and any other terms that could incite hatred or imply hate speech, racism, etc.
And before anyone says I am exaggerating says "We would surely know better than to put "Lynch" in a title"

I present to you:
Someone - "Well, we gotta lynch Someone"
Nai - "Lyncher of the Dead"

And while I'm on a tear...
Frozen Atlantic - "Not a flavor whore" Can we use "whore" in a title like this still?
pickemgenius - "Jack the Tripper" Is referencing a rapist alright!?
Cyberbob - "Jrammar Nazi" I mean, I'm not a fan of Grammar Nazi as it is anymore because it somewhat minimizes the Nazis atrocities.
Charles Davis - "NON-NAZI" And this one might get a pass because it is, I can only assume, about them literally dunking on Nazism? But I don't know that. And it seems like a parody. And a parody of a non-Nazi is potentially a Nazi and I don't think I'm okay with that.

And if I'm being really pedantic,
Luna - "Goth Limey Chick" "limey" is derogatory. Whether they chose to don this title or not.

Like, we uphold Avatars and Signatures to a higher standard. This is, to my understanding, partially because they are main profile areas and prevalent in all posts a user makes. Should we not hold Titles to the same standard, as they penetrate the site as equally and are User Voted?

I get it, I'm being over the top and some of these are users who haven't posted in years. But I think it is time we made proper changes and disallowed this type of language from our titles.
- Jingle
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2383 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:35 pm

Post by Blair »

In post 2377, northsidegal wrote:
ELo

Incorrect.
Yeah, there definitely hasn't been a community consensus yet (my crusade to make "Cancel" our new vernacular marches ever on).

I still like
ELo and Behold
though because A.) it fits the "official" vernacular, and B.) ELO is already a thing independent of all this.
“There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation! A human being [...] cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away.” -Hercule Poirot
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #2384 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:57 pm

Post by vonflare »

In post 2382, Aristophanes wrote:
In post 2379, Aristophanes wrote:I think mastina should go through the titles which have been given and systematically remove all titles with "Lynch" "LyLo" and any other terms that could incite hatred or imply hate speech, racism, etc.
And before anyone says I am exaggerating says "We would surely know better than to put "Lynch" in a title"

I present to you:
Someone - "Well, we gotta lynch Someone"
Nai - "Lyncher of the Dead"

And while I'm on a tear...
Frozen Atlantic - "Not a flavor whore" Can we use "whore" in a title like this still?
pickemgenius - "Jack the Tripper" Is referencing a rapist alright!?
Cyberbob - "Jrammar Nazi" I mean, I'm not a fan of Grammar Nazi as it is anymore because it somewhat minimizes the Nazis atrocities.
Charles Davis - "NON-NAZI" And this one might get a pass because it is, I can only assume, about them literally dunking on Nazism? But I don't know that. And it seems like a parody. And a parody of a non-Nazi is potentially a Nazi and I don't think I'm okay with that.

And if I'm being really pedantic,
Luna - "Goth Limey Chick" "limey" is derogatory. Whether they chose to don this title or not.

Like, we uphold Avatars and Signatures to a higher standard. This is, to my understanding, partially because they are main profile areas and prevalent in all posts a user makes. Should we not hold Titles to the same standard, as they penetrate the site as equally and are User Voted?

I get it, I'm being over the top and some of these are users who haven't posted in years. But I think it is time we made proper changes and disallowed this type of language from our titles.
I can't tell if this is a joke post or not. who would think the term 'grammar nazi' or a reference to jack the ripper in a title in a game where serial killer is the name of a role is 'problematic'
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #2385 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:00 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 2384, vonflare wrote:I can't tell if this is a joke post or not. who would think the term 'grammar nazi' or a reference to jack the ripper in a title in a game where serial killer is the name of a role is 'problematic'
It's not a joke post.

Would you like to discuss them? Because I am happy to engage.
- Jingle
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #2386 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:30 pm

Post by vonflare »

idc man i just think it's unnecessary

plus it would be difficult to obtain the account owner's consent to change their title seeing as most of the people you listed have left the site, and I think just blanking their title does a disservice to whatever they did while onsite to earn it
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #2387 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:39 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

No worries, I respect your choice to disengage.

I think leaving the titles up does a worse disservice to the site though, and that they should be PM'd about the change in policy which led to their title being stripped.

Like, if they were to return one day, I would not want the titles flashed around. They do not jive with the site's image, nor are they acceptable any longer.

They should remain in the thread where they were granted. Much like confederate statues in museum lockers. They are no longer okay to have displayed and we hopefully make the choice to remove them.
It's a crude comparison, but rather apt I think. We take down statues of Columbus, Robert E Lee, etc because they are no longer acceptable despite it "disrespecting their memory and our heritage."
No, these users did nothing wrong in donning these titles at the time, but they are no longer okay and need to be removed. Simple as that.
- Jingle
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #2388 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:46 pm

Post by Cheetory6 »

could just change them to eliminate
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #2389 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:49 pm

Post by vonflare »

Jack The Eliminator
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #2390 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:50 pm

Post by Cheetory6 »

specifically in the case of lynch usage but okay
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #2391 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:54 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 2388, Cheetory6 wrote:could just change them to eliminate
That is also an option and I may have gone too deep in pulling up the rest. I think the conversation needs to happen around them too though.

Replacing with "eliminate" is definitely a viable solution for the first two.
- Jingle
MariaR
MariaR
Alternatively,
MariaR
Alternatively,
Alternatively,

Post Post #2392 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:19 pm

Post by MariaR »

I'll happily accept the Alternatively tittle! I feel like that fits me super well.
I bet Maria is scum this game
~Firebringer
Na Maria isn't towny enough to be scum this game~
Charloux

MariaR goes for the uwu owo tsundere-dere look but you never know if she has a knife behind her back.~
Bitmap
MariaR
MariaR
Alternatively,
MariaR
Alternatively,
Alternatively,

Post Post #2393 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:21 pm

Post by MariaR »

I should make a new alt to celebrate...just kidding!

Maybe
I bet Maria is scum this game
~Firebringer
Na Maria isn't towny enough to be scum this game~
Charloux

MariaR goes for the uwu owo tsundere-dere look but you never know if she has a knife behind her back.~
Bitmap
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2394 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:42 pm

Post by Pink Ball »

Make an alt called Alternatively and I'll nom "MariaR" as a title for it
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #2395 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:06 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 2387, Aristophanes wrote:No worries, I respect your choice to disengage.

I think leaving the titles up does a worse disservice to the site though, and that they should be PM'd about the change in policy which led to their title being stripped.

Like, if they were to return one day, I would not want the titles flashed around. They do not jive with the site's image, nor are they acceptable any longer.

They should remain in the thread where they were granted. Much like confederate statues in museum lockers. They are no longer okay to have displayed and we hopefully make the choice to remove them.
It's a crude comparison, but rather apt I think. We take down statues of Columbus, Robert E Lee, etc because they are no longer acceptable despite it "disrespecting their memory and our heritage."
No, these users did nothing wrong in donning these titles at the time, but they are no longer okay and need to be removed. Simple as that.
nth
. If the site is committed to being politically correct, then I don’t really see how it isn’t hypocritical to ban “lynch” but not change these titles. @vonflare if they’re no longer active, then your “disservice” argument doesn’t even make sense where Ari’s does because it isn’t those posters who will be reading them.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2396 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:49 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 2386, vonflare wrote:idc man i just think it's unnecessary

plus it would be difficult to obtain the account owner's consent to change their title seeing as most of the people you listed have left the site, and I think just blanking their title does a disservice to whatever they did while onsite to earn it
This is silly. I'm not going to choose which old titles are problematic now, but for the ones that are, blanking them isn't doing a disservice to anyone or anything.
Taking a break from the site.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2397 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:10 pm

Post by PJ. »

All 9f those besides peg and nai seem okay to get rid of w/o worry, tbh. Peg we can just give a new title.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2398 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:14 pm

Post by Nexus »

In post 2397, PJ. wrote:All 9f those besides peg and nai seem okay to get rid of w/o worry, tbh. Peg we can just give a new title.
FACE? Or some other reference as that’s all peg comes on to post about
Trans rights are human rights.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #2399 (ISO) » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:44 pm

Post by Isis »

I hear skitter is mainly good in F3's if you want the name of something that's not in flux? I know you have to figure out a rhyme or whatever
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"

Return to “Player Titles”