Logo Design Competition/Collaboration (Survey, last page)

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Logo Design Competition/Collaboration (Survey, last page)

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:45 am

Post by mith »

Now that we have settled on not changing the site name, I think it's an appropriate time to open up a call for new designs for the logo.

Initially, let's use this thread for discussion and brainstorming. This might include descriptions, or might be rough drafts to be improved on. After some time, we'll move on to selecting a few ideas for refinement.

Logo rules:
  • Main logo (front page) should include mafiascum or mafiascum.net. Separation between mafia and scum is encouraged (whether spatially or by color). Capitalization is optional; not usually my preference, but not a deal breaker either.
  • We will additionally need smaller versions for the forum header (previous was 263px by 89px; width is more flexible, but height should not be substantially taller, nor too short), social media (sometimes using square logos), and favicon. The forum header should include the site name, preferably in the same format as the main logo; smaller logos should also include the site name, but may be split up over multiple lines (and options for additional logos which do not include the site name are welcome).
  • The primary logo should fit with the black background of the main page, and mafBlack theme on the forums. We will additionally need versions for the other forum themes (which could just be recolored variants).
  • By submitting a final logo, you are granting mafiascum.net permission to use the logo on this website and on social media indefinitely. (That doesn't mean I won't listen if you change your mind in the future; just a reminder that it is being designed for the purpose of serving as a logo for the site, and we may continue to use it as such even if the designer is banned or otherwise no longer wants to be associated with the site.) If we do any merchandise (t-shirts, cards) in the future, I will work out permissions separately with the designer(s).
  • Fonts used should be open source or otherwise not subject to a license fee; artwork should be original.
  • I'll update this list if I think of anything else, or if some reasonable restriction is mentioned in this thread. Otherwise, have fun with it!
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #343 (isolation #1) » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:22 pm

Post by mith »

I haven't forgotten about this - just got busy/sick. I'll review the options soon.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #350 (isolation #2) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:13 am

Post by mith »

In post 347, shaft.ed wrote:
In post 343, mith wrote:just got busy/sick.
hope this isn't serious
Not really; we got colds, wife was tested for covid and (eventually) got a negative result. Doing ok now (apart from the usual allergies).
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #351 (isolation #3) » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:23 am

Post by mith »

I will try to find time to focus on this by the end of the week.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #353 (isolation #4) » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:38 pm

Post by mith »

Ok, thoughts.

The two standout designs seem to be the typewriter font and magnifying glass ones. (I think the silent movie one is pretty fantastic, and think it would be funny to put on mafSepia or something, but not as a main logo.)

Magnifying glass:
I like this one the best overall. I do think there are potential legibility issues with the same color text/magnifying glass, would have to see it at logo size to see if it's actually a problem though.

Typewriter:
I like the font here best; the blood... eh, I could take it or leave it. I prefer differentiating Mafia and Scum by color rather than capitalization, but a single color does have its merits.

Some combination of the simplicity of this with nsg's font, perhaps. The red looks too... thick or something in this one.

I'll think about it a bit more, but probably will put up a poll for which idea people prefer, and then we can tweak once that is finalized. (I think I'm pretty much decided against including the slogan.)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #368 (isolation #5) » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:23 am

Post by mith »

Alright, I keep getting distracted, but I want to get moving on this before no logo becomes our official logo...

The two main ideas being considered are the "magnifying glass" logo and the "typewriter font" style. Please refer to this post above.

At this stage I'd like to get feedback from the site as a whole:

1. Which of the two ideas do you prefer? (Just the broad strokes ideas, not the specific details.)
2. If you dislike both, is there an idea that has been suggested that you prefer? (Or would you like to add a suggestion?)
3. For your preferred idea, what details are important to you? (For example, you may have an opinion on the color of the magnifying glass, if you like that idea better.)
4. For the other idea, are there details that might make it better? (For example, you may not prefer the magnifying glass, but like a certain style of magnifying glass better than the one in the example image.)

Please PM your responses and I will review them in about a week. Locking and stickying the thread until then.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #369 (isolation #6) » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:59 am

Post by mith »

Support for the magnifying glass is nearly unanimous, so we'll move forward with that. I'll put together details people mentioned wanting to keep/change and get in touch with our designers about making "final" images to vote on.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #370 (isolation #7) » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:09 pm

Post by mith »

Sorry I'm moving so slowly on this. It's been a weird month so far. I'll try to get back on it by the end of the week.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #371 (isolation #8) » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:08 am

Post by mith »

Sent compiled feedback to chamber (who originally posted the idea), northsidegal, and caledfwitch. I'm hoping to get a few variations to put to a final vote.

If you have experience in design and what to have a go at it as well, please let me know!
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #372 (isolation #9) » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:07 pm

Post by mith »

Ok, sorry again about the delays. I think we are basically at a point where the major design choices are decided, and we are just looking at picking the right font. Here are the ones that caught my eye in our PM discussion:

(specifically 1 - which is the font used in the logo previously voted on - and 2, though if you have a strong preference for one of the others please feel free to let me know that)

(we would go with a little more contrast on the magnifying glass for this, just an example of the distinct font choice)

Please PM me if you have an opinion, and I'll hopefully make a final decision in time for a logo Christmas present.

Return to “News”