[SETUP] The Council

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:50 pm

Post by Isis »

This is "breakable" in that you can have follow-the-cop doc onto cop and bodyguard onto tracker nights without informing the mafia who to roleblock (unless they've infiltrated the council). You would use the game thread to identify, for each player, who they should protect that night if they become a protective, making sure each person is targetted once. Then, the council grants the doctor ability to a player, then grants the cop ability to whoever that doctor pledged to target during the night.

If the mafia are in the council, they may roleblock the doctor and kill the cop or roleblock the cop and kill the doctor, but that suggests that the mafia are in the council and exposing that the mafia's most townread member may be in the council is pretty costly.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #6 (isolation #1) » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:49 pm

Post by Isis »

What if the council was given a random list of 3 cantidates or something, like "choose give Hectic doctor or give Isis bodyguard or give Kanna hider"

There's something unsatisfying to me about games where day 1 there can just be a Mafia Discussion thread-type theory discussion on how you order the power level of power roles. In practice games like this get run and since people have varying opinions it ends up interesting anyway, but, my aversion remains. I'd like for it to not be possible to play the "is cop the best role n1?" part of the setup before signups even begin.

6:3 with the council mechanic working like it does in OP is an overcorrection I would think.
Something with the same general style to this would be having a council that decides on a public copping N1 and N2, that'd probably be balanced.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #8 (isolation #2) » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:06 pm

Post by Isis »

Is each player attached to 1 protective and 1 investigative role? Also, do the roles last for just one night or the rest of the game in perpetuity?
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #10 (isolation #3) » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:38 pm

Post by Isis »

This looks playable as is but I think there's probably room to nudge it in the direction of green EV.
I can't think of an elegant way to do that right away.
"Well, I..."

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”