Win/Loss Ratio Calculations

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Win/Loss Ratio Calculations

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:59 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

I'm working on my personal Wiki and I'm kind of at an impasse with regards to when a game should and should not count towards a Win/Loss Ratio.

Thus far I have omitted only games which were abandoned (obviously, though I am still counting them as played for Wiki purposes) and 1 game where I replaced in and was killed during the same night phase. Since I had no effect on that game I did not count it, much like a replace-out during pregame would not be counted by me.

But where is the line drawn? If I replaced out D1, should it count? Does it depend on game length, play length, personal impact?
I hate the subjectivity of this because while there are some games I replaced out of very early on in, I don't want to skew my numbers in either direction by omitting games selectively.

Does game type matter? Are Blitz Trials and Marathons to be counted?

Or as a final thought on this, perhaps it all kind of comes out in the wash after a certain number of games.
It's a work in progress but I'm up to 133 games on-site from 2015-2017, so perhaps this really won't be an issue in the end because of sheer numbers.
I'm curious from a theory standpoint regardless.
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #2 (isolation #1) » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:24 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Interesting. So you go by personal completion rather than appearance therewithin. Not a bad way to do it. I definitely am most uneasy about including games I replaced out of, not into because. Replacing out is due to personal reasons and leaves the game out of your hands, replacing in gives you the power to take the slot and mould it to your liking even if it is an uphill battle sometimes.

Thanks Ircher, that helps a lot! I don't think the issue of knowing when a game ends is applicable to me here as I do as much due diligence as I can to track games when I have contributed to them, even slightly. I do see your point there though.

Re: Edit1
Not counting Marathons but counting Blitzes was somewhat where I would probably draw that line as well, though I have thus far counted them in the ratio. I think attitude towards them is a larger factor than game speed here however.

Re: Edit2
See, while I appreciate this kind of overall dedication to keeping it "clean" I suppose, I think it skews what I would consider reasonable for myself. I play a lot of funky, bastard, or mechanics-heavy games and enjoy the swing many Themed games present. To not include them would be to omit a good portion of my games and I think that would be a lot falser in outcome than I would be comfortable with. I think you are correct that it makes sense from a certain mindset though, and I'll likely be checking out your page soon because I love seeing how it is done by various people.

And good thing MS is friendly, because as it stands my winrate is utter shite! Perhaps when I consider these changes and implement some it will get better. Could get worse though in all honesty!
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #6 (isolation #2) » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:47 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 5, Isis wrote:Don't. Track. Stats.
Lol
This is good advice tbqh. Alas.
- Jingle
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #7 (isolation #3) » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:51 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

I also included my Hydra games in the stats, but not my Alt games (mostly to keep them semi-anonymous despite my obviousness when playing them).

I think that's reasonable.
Also I'm going to take this advice and count games I completed not ones I replaced out of (not that there are a huge number of the latter. I try to mostly replace in, not out.)

Probably not going to go as deep as splitting the types of games, though that is intriguing as a concept and might be something for a future data-analysis page!

Edit - I just removed all games I replaced out of from 2013-2017. There were 9 of them. I was town in every one. Town lost in every one.
- Jingle

Return to “Mafia Discussion”