Aegor
Mafia Scum
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Open 89 - Assassin in the Palace (Over) before 656

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:17 am

Post by Aegor »

The warning came from a dying peasant. He fell before the steps to the royal palace, only living long enough to tell the Chief of the Guards, “The enemy is already here! He’s inside!” The Chief laughed at the peasant before sticking him with his spear. He was not so happy three days later, when he was brutally killed by the Assassin.

See, the King is a smart guy. Oh, there were rebellions, and they were crushed without mercy. But this is something different. The Assassin’s Guild is everywhere. They run the courts, the businesses. They infiltrate every sector of his kingdom. But they were never a direct threat to his power. After the Chief of the Guards was murdered, the king caught on. He was probably in a little bit of danger. He called the Royal Guard.

The Royal Guard were the elite. They were trained from birth (literally). They had no feelings. They had to kill kittens and other cute animals to prove their worth. They were like stones, only they moved and could think and could fight. No one could stop them in direct combat.

The Royal Guard came. They came with masks. So did the king. But the Guards knew who he was, because they knew his mask (he had told them beforehand). He didn’t know who any of the guards were (ooops!). They moved in unison to his Secret War Room, where a note (written by the king) explained the situation. An assassin was in their midst. As it turns out, he had snuck in with the Guard. That would explain the extra person. But he didn’t get the memo from the king, unfortunately. The solution was clear: Kill the assassin before he kills the king.

Please see the Endgame Scene (link later in post) for full results).

Still in the War Room - 1/9

wolframnhart

In the Palace Morgue - 8/9

armlx,
Guard
, has been lynched (Day 1)

Crazy,
Guard
, has been lynched (Day 2)

Korts,
Guard
, has been lynched (Day 3)

Mirth,
Guard
, has been lynched (Day 4)

KaleiÐoscøpe,
Guard
, has been lynched (Day 5)

Cephrir,
Guard
, has been lynched (Day 6)

neko2086,
Assassin
, has been lynched (Day 7)

Bulvox,
THE KING,
has been killed in a suicide attack (Endgame)

For the lazy members of the Royal Guard...

Day 1 Ends/ Day 2 Begins
Day 2 Ends/ Day 3 Begins
Day 3 Ends/ Day 4 Begins
Day 4 Ends/ Day 5 Begins
Day 5 Ends/ Day 6 Begins
Day 6 Ends/ Day 7 Begins
Day 7 Ends/ Endgame Begins
The Endgame Ends/Final scene
Last edited by Aegor on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Currently partying at the
M A S Q U E R A D E
-- a Large Normal for 21 revelers.
Aegor
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:34 am

Post by Aegor »

THE SETUP

SETUP-SPECIFIC RULES (stolen from/inspired by Rishi’s):

1)
NO FAKE OR REAL SUICIDE ATTACKS IN-THREAD
. Instant modkill, end of conversation.

2)
NO OUTRIGHT CLAIMS ABOUT THE KING
. This includes, “NameofPlayer is the king!” or “Everyone claim who they think is king.” There are still grey areas, but not as many as if there were no rule in place. Instant modkill, end of conversation. Mod discretion here, so please don’t push it. I really don’t want this to be an issue, so please don’t make the focus of the game WIFOM relating to the identity of the king.

3) Any attack by the assassin MUST be made by PM to me. If the assassin is lynched, they may still send it by PM. Remember that the assassin wins even if he kills the king after being lynched.

ROLE PMs:

This game is nightless, and there is no mafia group. Instead, there is one assassin, whose sole win condition is to kill the king using a suicide attack. There are seven guards who all know the identity of the king. And then, of course, there is the king.

Assassin:
Aegor wrote:You are the assassin. You have infiltrated the royal guard and are charged with killing the king. That is your sole win condition: Victory is yours when the king is dead. At any point during the game (including immediately after your lynch), you may PM me the name of a player whom you wish to kill in a suicide attack. This attack will kill you and end the game. You win when the king is dead, regardless of whether you are alive.

King:
Aegor wrote:You are the king. You know that everyone else is not the king. There is an assassin, however, who is trying to kill you. Your goal is not to let that happen. You win when the assassin is dead and has used his kill and you still live.

Guard:
Aegor wrote:You are a guard, charged to protect King ________. Your job would be too easy if there weren’t an assassin trying to eliminate your poor king. You don’t want that to happen, of course. You’d be out of a job. You win when the assassin is dead and has used his kill and the king is still alive.
Last edited by Aegor on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
M A S Q U E R A D E
Aegor
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:37 am

Post by Aegor »

Rules
(inspired by Vel-Rahn Koon’s)

Private Messages and Privacy

1) NO communication of ANY kind at ANY time with other players outside of the thread regarding the game.
2) You may not quote anything in a mod PM verbatim (but you can summarize, e.g. “It said I’m a townie!”), or even pretend to do so – see setup-specific rules for more.
3) I always accept PMs regarding game questions from players. Do not hesitate to PM me about any questions you have.

Lynching and Deadlines

1) A majority of votes is required to lynch. Once the majority is reached, the lynch occurs and no further (un/)votes will be considered.
2) Once you are dead, you are dead. The end. Corpses can’t talk, or even say “Bah!” so you can’t either. After someone is lynched, the game enters “twilight” until I post the lynch scene. All players may talk except the unfortunate person who was lynched.
3) The vote format is:
Vote: NameofPlayer
. Votes not in this format will not be counted. You may abbreviate players’ names appropriately. Unvoting follows a similar format:
Unvote: NameofPlayer
(the name is optional, but preferred). You must unvote before voting, or the vote won’t count.
4) The players can decide not to lynch during the day. To do this, a majority of players need to
Vote: No Lynch
. You cannot be voting for No Lynch and a player at the same time.
5) If discussion begins to lag significantly, I will impose a deadline. I will give you plenty of notice, and prolong it as necessary if replacements come in. These will probably be negotiable. If a lynch (requiring the normal number of votes) has not occurred at the deadline, half of the votes normally required to lynch (rounded up) will be enough to lynch someone at deadline.

Prodding and Replacement

1) This game is obviously a commitment.
If you will be unavailable for over two days, please let me and the other players know in-thread.

2) If a player doesn’t post for more than two days, they will get prodded. I can’t always keep track of everyone, so do not hesitate to request a prod on someone. Please do not try to handle them yourselves, ask me to prod the inactive player.
3) A prodded player must post within the day after the prod otherwise I will replace him (for a total of three days without posting). I really never want to do this, so please be considerate and let everyone know if/when you will be gone. If you have to be prodded three times, you don’t get any more chances. The next time one is necessary you get replaced.
4) If there is a serious infraction of these rules, of the site rules, or of the integrity and spirit of the game, I reserve the right to replace someone. Again, I would rather never do this.

Other

1) Please right in black font
ONLY
. You may bold, italicize, underline, increase size, etc., but all text should be black (read: NOT invisible either).
2) I will not edit posts as a general rule. However, if tags need to be fixed and the player requests that I fix them (I will take “Oh, crap! The tags!” as a request,) I will (with a note of it. I will NOT edit posts to answer questions or to include vote counts; these will come in separate posts.
3) Please
bold
everything to which you want me to pay special attention. I will probably be reading the entire game, but for good measure bold mod requests or questions.
4) I will answer any questions concerning game mechanics in-thread, although if sent by PM the author will remain anonymous. The MafiaWiki is very good for answering questions about different roles, but do not hesitate to ask me either.

AND, most importantly

This game is supposed to be FUN! Please respect other players, the game, and myself. Sarcasm is passable, outright insulting and excessive ridicule is not. Please treat players as you would people in real life. You probably wouldn’t scream insults at your friends or your teachers, so don’t do it here. We all make mistakes, so forgive them.
Last edited by Aegor on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M A S Q U E R A D E
Aegor
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:38 am

Post by Aegor »

The game will start when all players have confirmed. There is NO discussion at all until then.

Also, please remember to let me know if you will be gone for more than two days. It affects deadlines (I hope it doesn't matter though) and obviously prods/replacement. If you're gone for three days, no problem. But you have to let me know.

Also, PLEASE PLEASE read setup-specific rules, they are crucial to this game. PM me if you have any questions, so I can address those before the game begins.
M A S Q U E R A D E
Aegor
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:10 am

Post by Aegor »

I'm giving dalt54321 until end of Tuesday (i.e., when I wake up on Monday). I'm really anxious to get the game rolling (as I hope you are), but it was the weekend when I sent out PMs. I think Saturday, Sunday, and over two weekdays is a reasonable time.
M A S Q U E R A D E
Aegor
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:59 pm

Post by Aegor »

All players have confirmed, and
dalt54321
has been replaced by
Bulvox
. Thank you very much for replacing, as the game can now start.

Please remember the rules about prods/replacement. I hope that activity isn't an issue, but be aware that there is some standard for this game.

Everyone understand the setup-specific rules? Good! Let us begin...

Day 1 has begun. There are 9 players, and 5 votes make a lynch.
M A S Q U E R A D E
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:21 pm

Post by Korts »

vote: Crazy

You'd have to be Crazy to try and kill the king.
scumchat never die
neko2086
neko2086
Mafia Scum
neko2086
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:35 am

Post by neko2086 »

woohoo!

vote: Korts
First post obvscum!

Hate to do this right away, but I'll be v/la for a few days. I will be back Sunday, and I should be able to post a couple times between now and then, but just wanted to let y'all know.
In Tartiflette We Trust
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:48 am

Post by armlx »

Vote Wolf

Just so everyone knows how this works:

No discussion is optimal. Discussion strongly favors the uninformed group in a game, in this case the assassin.

If someone votes the king, do not vote that player automatically in response. Doing so is the best way to lose the game.

If at any point someone has more then 1 vote, they are to be policy lynched as they more or less can NOT be the king.

If no one has more then 1 vote, vote anyone you want, and I mean anyone. That includes the king.

Also, don't be an idiot. Remember the following rule.
2) NO OUTRIGHT CLAIMS ABOUT THE KING. This includes, “NameofPlayer is the king!” or “Everyone claim who they think is king.” There are still grey areas, but not as many as if there were no rule in place. Instant modkill, end of conversation. Mod discretion here, so please don’t push it. I really don’t want this to be an issue, so please don’t make the focus of the game WIFOM relating to the identity of the king.
Away Wednesday the 24th through the 31st
wolframnhart
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:25 am

Post by wolframnhart »

vote armlx
cuz I am sick of seeing him in my games :P
They tell you never hit a man with a closed fist, but it is on occasion hilarious. - Malcolm Reynolds

Wolf, I fucking hate your face, but still <3 you as a whole. - Starbuck
KaleiÐoscøpe
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
=====[]

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:48 am

Post by KaleiÐoscøpe »

Countervote hm?

Vote: Wolf
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:23 am

Post by Cephrir »

armlx wrote:If at any point someone has more then 1 vote, they are to be policy lynched as they more or less can NOT be the king.
Eh, I don't see why the king can't ever have
two
votes.

Vote: Mirth
because I can.
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Mirth
Mirth
Congratulations! You are ...
Mirth

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:10 am

Post by Mirth »

vote:Cephrir
because you're not in 617 anymore and I'm still suffering.

(Real reason for this vote, ignoring armlx's rule, which does sound reasonable. Would like to hear more on that Ceph.)
Bulvox
Bulvox
Goon
Bulvox
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:57 am

Post by Bulvox »

Vote: KaleiDoscope
so he won't feel left out.
Know what's awesome? When you get out of high school, you're free to say "You're an idiot" and [b]never see that person again.[/b]
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:01 am

Post by armlx »

Eh, I don't see why the king can't ever have two votes.
You make a point. 3 is a better cut off to allow townspeople to vote the king without real fear of having to back out of a policy lynch.
Crazy
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:48 am

Post by Crazy »

Pff, let's not tell the assassin how we're going to WIFOM them.

Vote: armlx
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:50 am

Post by armlx »

Crazy wrote:Pff, let's not tell the assassin how we're going to WIFOM them.

Vote: armlx
By admitting that we could WIFOM them, it makes them much more paranoid then if we didn't admit it.
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:51 am

Post by armlx »

EBWODP: Just to clarify, theory questions/discussion are ok as long as it does not cross into discussion of anyone in the game.
Aegor
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:56 am

Post by Aegor »

Yes, discussion of theory (as in your previous post) is allowed. Please do not discuss specific players in a manner that breaks the setup-specific rules. Again, there are gray areas that I would rather not have to make judgment calls about. But theory is fine.
M A S Q U E R A D E
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:59 am

Post by armlx »

I actually just mean in context of optimal play, not rules, but that is true as well.
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:09 am

Post by Korts »

armlx wrote:EBWODP: Just to clarify, theory questions/discussion are ok as long as it does not cross into discussion of anyone in the game.
This confuses me. How are we to find the assassin if, according to optimal play, all we do is talk theory?
scumchat never die
Aegor
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:14 am

Post by Aegor »

Armlx, you can discuss anything you want about the game as long as you're not discussing specific players in a manner that breaks one of the rules. In other words, you can discuss optimal play, or whatever you want as long as the rules are not broken (this is true of ANY discussion). Did that answer your question? If not, please explain so I can try to clarify.
M A S Q U E R A D E
Crazy
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:16 am

Post by Crazy »

Now, if you look at the last AITP game, and it's reset, it shows that random speedlynching is
not
the optimal strategy here. It is good that we don't want to give the assassin any information, but the more guards we kill before we hit the assassin, the greater chance the assassin has of killing the king on his vengeful kill.

In the last AITP game, the town did not lose because they gave out too much information. They lost because they managed to lynch everybody except the assassin and the king.

In the reset of it, the town nailed the assassin Day 2, because they noticed the scum-tells he dropped, not because he was a random candidate for a lynch.

Policy lynching is bad in this game, because it tells the assassin exactly what we're doing.
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:31 am

Post by armlx »

Crazy, look at the large AITP game for the counter example. People were idiots and lost the game. If we start talking, someone is going to be an idiot.

What your are asking is to give the uninformed group more info, which is bad. Rolling the dice is a much more favored way to win, though there is not mathematic way to prove that scum hunting is less helpful then people being dumb is detrimental.
Crazy
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:48 am

Post by Crazy »

Armlx, making a no discussion policy won't make idiots stop being idiots. In the game you mentioned, the town was still able to spill out who the Kings were even though JDodge had that strict lynch-lynch-lynch policy set in place.

The problem we need to avoid is explaining our votes. We have to trust our own judgment, and the rest of the town to see what we see. If we tell the scum what he did wrong, then that'll help him very much in identifying the king. That's how the scum won the large game.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”