Bill and Ted Face the Music

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Bill and Ted Face the Music

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:56 pm

Post by Porkens »

Ok I’m 40 years old so Bill and Ted were very important to me when I was younger. When I heard they were making a new seque I thought “ohhh that can’t be good.” But then I started to get excited when I heard about the plot.

Stop now if you don’t want to be spoiled at a trailer level.

So Bill and Ted are all grown up and still haven’t written the song that unites humanity. Great this might actually be a mind blowing real look at how the world still sucks and how life doesn’t actually get better if you don’t do something about it. This could be woke, this could be meaningful. I mean what better way to put out a socially positive message than by infusing it into a beloved franchise for my stupid man child generation.

But then I watched the trailer. And not only is it just a stupid multi dimensional time travel snooze fest, but the first person of color that you see in the trailer is in a prison. Now there is a token Black guy who I see in the phone booth on the poster but...yeah that’s not what I was hoping for.

Now you are going to tell me that I’m stupid for hoping a bill and Ted movie would be anything but a stupid remake, but I actually had a little hope. Now they are just putting out remake trash masturbatória for white 40 year old guys in this time when we need very much not that.

Dunno. I was disappointed. Not excellent, dudes.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:54 am

Post by Ythan »

And no Rufus.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:01 am

Post by shaft.ed »

its a cash grab to trigger nostalgia in a group of people that might have money and the desire to spend it
the last thing they want is for it to have a message that might reduce the number of people that might pay for it
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:35 pm

Post by AniX »

I think you are jumping the gun WAY too fast. Shaft.ed has the right concept, if imo the wrong application: Trailers these days are meant to be the most generic paint-by-numbers stuff and rarely actually ever reflect the quality of the movie within, for good or ill.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:38 pm

Post by Porkens »

I hope you are right - I hope it's the Matrix vs. Lost Boys fix the broken world and save the rainforest but I think its just the hangover 6
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:49 pm

Post by AniX »

We'll see. I guess I don't see what Keanu has to gain from making this movie if it is just a retread. He by all accounts fought pretty hard to have it made even when the studio wasn't really interested and it isn't like he needs the money or needs the popularity: In fact, he has rebranded himself so far from this sort of goofy 80's stoner persona (He is what, the star of the biggest current action movie franchise?) that I would have expected him to be RELUCTANT to do the movie.

Now, obviously his geunine passion doesn't mean the movie will be actually GOOD, but I am suspicious of the notion the reason it will be bad is because it was all phoned-in.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:50 pm

Post by Porkens »

Actually that's what I was really hoping for - the Keanu angle. I'm probably wrong but I want to believe.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:52 pm

Post by Porkens »

I do like Kristen Schaal quite a bit tho. Not a bad Rufus sub at all.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:01 pm

Post by AniX »

The movie was actually pretty racially diverse, Hollywood speaking. More diverse than the originals, that's for sure.There were 9 major white characters and 5 major PoC characters, one robot, and one grim reaper. I wouldn't say it had a message but it was a fun movie and it did its job of wrapping up the series.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:18 pm

Post by chamber »

Had some light messages, but the movies never took themselves seriously. I thought the last third dragged. Billy and Thea where excellent actress's but I think their whole story didn't work for me. A lot of the famous musicians didn't get the same kind of fun moments that the historical figures got in the first movie, and
I thought the way the ending resolved, and the whole problem, was a bit weird in the context of the older movies. I'm fine with the daughters actually being the ones to save the world, I just think it was pretty well set up that the saving of the world was through the insane positivity of the music rather than literally saving the universe somehow?
Taking a break from the site.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:41 pm

Post by AniX »

Yeah, it is definitely the sort of the situation where they intended the second movie to wrap up the series and be the "Music saved the world" conclusion, but then like all sequels that follow up on a "resolved" plot, they need a twist where it is "Ok actually that thing that seemed like the conclusion wasn't actually the conclusion"
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:42 pm

Post by AniX »

I definitely agree the first one is the best one, but especially with things like this you really can't treat it as a movie in its own right. It is a companion piece to satisfy curiosity.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:59 pm

Post by chamber »

I like the 2nd movie best. I like all 3.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:02 pm

Post by chamber »

I also didn't like the robot character. Seemed like an attempt to recreate a Death like character. I think the idea works on paper (empathetic incompetent Terminator parody) but something about the execution was way off

Return to “General Discussion”