Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #3725 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:11 am

Post by Something_Smart »

Dominion is my favorite board game of all time, so I feel obligated to say something at least.

That said, (a) it's strategically deep but also has a lot of randomness, which is definitely not for everyone, (b) it only gets really great when you play with expansions, which is a lot of investment for something you might not like anyway, and (c) when you do play with expansions, there are a LOT of cards you have to memorize before you stop feeling lost every game.

The first edition of the base set especially did not do the game as a whole justice. And I guess it's reasonable to consider the first published edition to be the whole game and the expansions to be unnecessary things you can add if you really feel like it, but it still makes me sad to hear people dismiss it out of hand.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3726 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:04 am

Post by dramonic »

In post 3725, Something_Smart wrote:(a) it's strategically deep.
:neutral:
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #3727 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:44 am

It is.

Again, all of this stuff is improved by expansions, but even the base game has a ton of nuance and complexity to it.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about it?
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3728 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:49 am

Post by VP Baltar »

Strategically varied may be a better term than deep perhaps. The cards chosen tend to direct toward a clear winning strategy each game. Though my experience is limited to the base game (just put it on the table again last week actually!)

On a related note, what are the most fun expansions? I do enjoy that Dominion isn't a gigantic time sink if we just want to play something quick after dinner.
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #3729 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:00 am

In post 3728, VP Baltar wrote:The cards chosen tend to direct toward a clear winning strategy each game.
This is sometimes true, but even in games where the cards you want are pretty clear, there are a lot of things you have to figure out like what order to get them in, how many of each to get, which ones to play if you happen to not be able to play everything in your hand, and when to start buying victory cards. However this kind of stuff is pretty hard to figure out on your own; almost everything I know about Dominion strategy I learned from the online community (primarily the Discord). But the depth is definitely there.

In terms of expansions, the traditional answer for the first expansion you should get is Seaside; it adds one major new mechanic (duration cards that have an effect on your next turn) and is otherwise pretty simple. Renaissance is also a good one-- it's much more recent so the cards are more balanced, but it only adds a couple of new mechanics. Intrigue was an older one but it was updated to remove some of the really weak cards, so that's also a good pick.

On the other end of the spectrum, if you you're looking for ways to make the gameplay more complex, Dark Ages, Adventures, and Nocturne are the ones to look at, but they are a good bit more complicated.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3730 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:09 am

Post by chamber »

In post 3718, dramonic wrote:Oh wait I'm thinking of dominion
I've played a fair number of deckbuilders. I don't think any come close to being as good as dominion is.
Taking a break from the site.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3731 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:18 am

Post by brassherald »

Oh, I forgot to mention I played a D&D adventure board game, Temple of Elemental Evil, and I guess if you want to do D&D and do not have a DM available, its an okay alternative.
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3732 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:37 am

Post by dramonic »

In post 3730, chamber wrote:
I've played a fair number of deckbuilders. I don't think any come close to being as good as dominion is.
I find that very hard to believe
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #3733 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:06 am

Post by Vi »

In post 3728, VP Baltar wrote:The cards chosen tend to direct toward a clear winning strategy each game.
basically this
70% of the gameplay is in setup, so if nothing else it's a good game to
think about
playing
(the other 30% is player order and whoever gets the first good draw)
dramonic wrote:
In post 3730, chamber wrote:
I find that very hard to believe
I don't; I may not like the genre but I'll acknowledge that it does its best to accommodate its target audience of reasonably serious strategists.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3734 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:30 pm

Post by zoraster »

I think Dominion was good, but it has some serious flaws. First and foremost, it pretends to be a 2-4 player game when it is only good as a 2 player game. The game just takes too long as a 3+ player game, but also the things that you do with dominion are okay in 2 player (e.g. cantrip-based engines) but are just boring to watch in a 3+ player game.

Second, what it had in replayable deckbuilding was the right balance of simplicity and complexity. But after an expansion or two (and it kind of doesn't matter which expansion) it gets to be unwieldy with the interactions between cards.

Because it was a great game as a filler game or if you wanted to be flexible with how much time to spend or whatever, but once you add more than one or two expansions it stops being that for anyone but the most experienced players of it. Not to mention fishing out cards from like 5-6 different expansions takes forever.

Online it could redeem itself somewhat, but then it becomes one of those games where people have to play just a ton of it to be any good, just like collectible card games. That's okay, but then it's in a very different category.
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3735 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:26 pm

Post by Chickadee »

Dominion was my introduction to deck building games and it made me not want to play any deck building games ever again.

I was happy someone talked me into Aeons End though.

But man you've really lost me if you start to describe a game and say deck building.
Instagram: BoneSpellArts

"Yo I'm so good at anime girls" - pj
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3736 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:36 pm

Post by brassherald »

I'm looking into getting the Marvel Champions deck building game any opinions? Keep in mind that I am not allowed to buy any more games until after my birthday this year so no big rush
Tatsuya Kaname
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3737 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:47 pm

Post by Tatsuya Kaname »

I mean, eh... I'm neutral on Dominion since most of the time it's just play to play to buy and get cluttered up with useless point cards. /s

But to be honest, Dominion is still a good introduction to deckbuilding games without any extra mechanics. That said, once I moved on to games like Clank! or Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle (and knew almost nothing about the movie/novel lore), I stuck with those.
Embark the journey to life-changing fortune in Para{dice} Trinity: The Quest for Spirits' Fortune, a luck-based casual arcade Mish Mash game by Tatsuya Kaname!

Yes. Making too many hoods is moderator suicide. -Enter
I want to shoot this post in the face with a flamethrower. - zakk
Tatsuya Kaname
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3738 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:51 pm

Post by Tatsuya Kaname »

New topic. I'm still waiting for my local board game cafe's Dice Throne: Adventures copy to arrive. So excited for this.

I mean Dice Throne is a really fun game (especially Season 2 with the revamped art). I know, some of the character balances are give-or-take but it's still fun rolling dice while pretending to play some kind of Trading Card Games like Yu-Gi-Oh or Cardfight Vanguard at the same time.

Also I'm into story-driven campaign games, so I'm gonna love this expansion.
Embark the journey to life-changing fortune in Para{dice} Trinity: The Quest for Spirits' Fortune, a luck-based casual arcade Mish Mash game by Tatsuya Kaname!

Yes. Making too many hoods is moderator suicide. -Enter
I want to shoot this post in the face with a flamethrower. - zakk
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3739 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:50 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

played Flamme Rogue for the first time today
It's a strange experience, the middle is really intriguing, the ending is very exciting. But the ending is also completely unfulfilling because you essentially have no decisions to make.
it's weird because while I'm playing the middle bits I really like it. I'm really excited at the end, but I don't like it because there is no agency since you already pretty much determined the end based on your past actions and a bit of luck.

my take away was this really weird mix of 'that was lots of fun' and 'meh'
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #3740 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:53 pm

Post by Cabd »

In post 3735, Chickadee wrote:Dominion was my introduction to deck building games and it made me not want to play any deck building games ever again.

I was happy someone talked me into Aeons End though.

But man you've really lost me if you start to describe a game and say deck building.
This is my exact opinion and feelings about deckbuilders.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3741 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:26 pm

Post by chamber »

Oh, yeah dominion is a 2 player online game. It is way too slow in person or with 3+. If that is the experience most people have past an initial introduction I can understand disliking it.
Taking a break from the site.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #3742 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:44 pm

Post by Ythan »

I am once again Baron of All thee Railes.
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3743 (ISO) » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:57 pm

Post by VP Baltar »

Pandemic Season 0 is shipping shortly wheeeee
YOUR AD HERE

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3744 (ISO) » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:03 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

sameeee
green shirt thursdays
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3745 (ISO) » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:17 pm

Post by VP Baltar »

So much hype! Although, we need new partners for this season i think :(
YOUR AD HERE

implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #3746 (ISO) » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:45 pm

Post by implosion »

I did 1 and 2 with the same group and don't think there's any way I'll be able to do 0 with them. Tis sad.
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3747 (ISO) » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:24 am

Post by VP Baltar »

Same. Our friends moved like 40 mins away, and that feels like a very long drive to make that many times. But at the same time, I feel weird finishing the trilogy without them. I also don't know how challenging it would be with just two players.
YOUR AD HERE

brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3748 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:54 am

Post by brassherald »

Hey, got Ticket to Ride: Europe and Gloomhaven for my birthday like 2 weeks back. Good games, both, so far.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3749 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:14 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

We did the intro game + the January month for S0

It seems fucking impossible to get both objectives completed. There's just not enough time before you're hitting too many incidents.
green shirt thursdays

Return to “The Arcade”