pls help

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him, she/her

pls help

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:34 am

Post by Taly »

i want all the fun attached to playing mafia but none of the stress or time consumption associated

waht brain tricks do i implement for this to be possible ?
"Taly is going to be a hot mess all game and I am entertained" ~ Gammagooey
"The human race is bad at reading Taly." ~the worst
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
"Taly wins for the most fence-sitty reads in a game ever" ~Battle Mage
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (isolation #1) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:14 am

Post by Taly »

In post 1, Isis wrote:I think most people's go-to for this is "join a hydra with the understanding I might flake and leave you solo"
lol what im trying to avoid

also are you
pops
?
In post 2, Errantparabola wrote:among us, presumably
pReSuMaBlY
In post 3, Something_Smart wrote:I would imagine the answer here is not as simple as "stop taking the game so seriously", though that is the end goal.

If you just sat down to a game and told yourself "I'm not going to wallpost, I'm not going to ISO dive, I'm not going to obsess over getting people to listen to me, and I'm not going to care if I lose as long as I had a good time", what would happen? I assume that would fail, since you can't just edit your desires on a whim. But do you know exactly what would go wrong?
i like this suggestion

no wallposts
no ISO dives
not giving a shit if people listen

good 3-part rule
In post 5, Aristophanes wrote:Play games for fun not for srs :)

Works for me!
VOTE: Aristophanes
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (isolation #2) » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:54 am

Post by Taly »

In post 10, mastina wrote:On this site, there will always always always be time commitments past a certain point and in bad rng situations, always inevitably situations where due to the unique combination of players and game mechanics, stress comes up.

But in general, to minimize them: play more casually, and not super-tryhard. You lose competency as both town/scum because if you play the game super-seriously as either scum or town you will in general perform much better than you would otherwise, but playing more casually is a lifesaver. Play in one or two games at most; play in games where there's simple mechanics that're easy to understand, but ideally also unique mechanics assuming it's a theme game. Games that have something that gives a neat spin, but doesn't consume the entirety of the game.

Don't take effort to make big walls, or be too afraid of not reading everything. Skim, skip if needed, pages, and engage only in what interests you. Don't engage in every possible subject; engage only in the ones that you most want to. Said subjects need not be game-related; banter can help as well.

Do all of these, and you'll be a significantly less competent player, but you'll have more fun and be far less stressed overall.

Also, in general: play with a mixture of players who you know well and enjoy playing with, and players you don't know. (Playing exclusively with players you don't know is generally not that fun; playing exclusively with players you know well and enjoy playing with usually doesn't pan out in practice no matter what the theory may be, so combine the two.) Obviously, avoid playing with players you know you don't enjoy playing with. (Not necessarily a hard-blacklist, but soft-blacklist of sorts.)

Having variety, but in a controlled amount, is a great way to continue to have fun in the game and avoid getting stressed. Time commitments are a bit of an issue regardless, tho.
really enjoying this reply, especially the variety aspect keeping the game fresh

but i will say, as a wallposter, as someone who usually reads and rereads so much, i dont think my competency will be hurt if i stopped taking the game as seriously.

im a logical player but an emotional person... frustration and burnout greatly impact my ability to think clearly. so i might have more fun AND be more competent

i think your assessment is true in most cases though, and may still apply to me
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (isolation #3) » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:54 am

Post by Taly »

In post 16, Ramcius wrote:I agree that wallposts are bad - personally I tend to ignore them, I forget what person was talking about, when I'm halfway through it :lol: another issue with wallposts is that there a lot of accusations in it and as a scum you don't need to defend yourself against all of them, it's mindblowing, I know, but people would trust you, if you prove some accusations wrong and just leave alone accusations you can't explain, therefore less is more.

ISO diving is fine, but in moderation, trying to bring stuff from long time ago is often pointless as people don't want to reinvestigate things they already discussed

But if you don't care, if people listen to you, then why do you play mafia at all? You can just read game and try to solve it without participating in it, would be same effect
I meant, I'm not going to become frustrated when people don't listen, as that has been my experience as someone who walls often. (Perhaps that will change upon a communication style overhaul.)

Also, I don't think I'm a charismatic player. My tonal range is jarringly broad.
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #26 (isolation #4) » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:28 am

Post by Taly »

maybe i should try playing drunk some time, haha

Return to “Mafia Discussion”