Dance of the Title Thread: Resurgence in wild?

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #2750 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:15 am

Post by xofelf »

Hmmm... I am a sucker for a good speech... hmmmmmmmm
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #2751 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:29 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 2732, NorwegianboyEE wrote:Titles based on usernames are dumb. I thought there would be more thought put behind this, like referencing their personality or something actually interesting.
For the record--I am not opposed to titles referencing usernames
if
the title has appeal beyond that, referencing key aspects of the user and emphasizing positive features about them.

But a title that is primarily a username-based one where the justification for the title is forced and/or references something we don't want to title people off of, is probably not going to pass.
In post 2748, xofelf wrote:*slams hands on the table* Where's Monty's acceptance(or i guess he can refuse but i'd rather he didn't) speech?
Presumably coming as soon as I send the PM. :P
(Which I just did now.)
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2752 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:51 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 2744, brassherald wrote:Look I'm not going to say I enjoy trolling Nero but I did get him hyper eliminated in Stellaris mafia because I trolled him.
is claiming a fake guilty on me and then Enter using a stupid OP power really trolling me?
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2753 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:55 pm

Post by Pink Ball »

Yes
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #2754 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:04 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 2752, Nero Cain wrote:stupid OP power
This part right here indicates yes.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2755 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:17 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

thinking about it it's not that bad. It's no different than a day vig.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #2756 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:19 pm

Post by Jingle »

God that game was great.
This is a Parachute.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2757 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:20 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Inb4 yall get a warning for being off topic
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #2758 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:29 pm

Post by PrivateI »

Gentlefolks,

I find myself confronted with a dilemma the likes of which I've never ecountered before. To begin, let me first thank you for your earnest suggestions for new titles--I'm overwhelmed by the thoughts and positive vibes. However, you've really given me a humdinger of a choice. Two incredible titles, each with their own connotations I really need to give careful consideration to.

First, let's discuss "The Real Friend". On its surface, it appears like it's tooting my own horn a bit too much, particularly since I'm in the rare position of choosing between titles rather than having one thrust upon me. With that said, I really appreciate those who suggested and supported it. I also think it does a good job of referencing my informal catchphrase, while leaving a bit of intrigue--the reader perhaps wants to know more.

That brings me to the second proposed title: "The Real Title". People who have played my games know that I love a good meta reference. Having the title be about the title is fun and quirky, vigorously intriguing. However, there's a final point that really decided this for me.

As has been mentioned before, the two variants of my informal catchphrase are "The real x was inside us all along' and "The real x is the friends we made along the way". However, since Zoraster and I hosted the nonanonymous Large Social Game Survivor: The Real Theme Was Inside Us All Along, that first variant has been the more widely used. Thus, The Real Friend serves more of a throwback to a lesser-used phrase, to keep it front of mind for myself and others.

For those reasons, I'd like to accept the title "The Real Friend".

Much love to you all. In the end, I appreciate your thoughtfulness, and all of you individually. Perhaps the real friends we met along the way were in-site us all along.
Last edited by PrivateI on Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/They

Post Post #2759 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:37 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

What a speech. What. a. speech.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #2760 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:08 pm

Post by vonflare »

wúnderbar
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2761 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:50 am

Post by brassherald »

In post 2752, Nero Cain wrote:
In post 2744, brassherald wrote:Look I'm not going to say I enjoy trolling Nero but I did get him hyper eliminated in Stellaris mafia because I trolled him.
is claiming a fake guilty on me and then Enter using a stupid OP power really trolling me?
Absolutely
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #2762 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:39 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 2757, Aristophanes wrote:Inb4 yall get a warning for being off topic
pffft. Mastina thinks I'm too entertaining to warn about being off topic.

On the other hand:

Nom Nero for Last Centurion.

I have reticence based on the fact that it is a Doctor Who reference and Nero doesn't particularly strike me as a Doctor Who person. However, I think the title fits despite the Doctor Who reference and it's not like the storytelling concept is unique to that storyline.

It's a nod to both sides of his username (Nero being a Roman emperor and Cain being the first murderer, cursed to wander the earth, protected from being murdered and functionally immortal in some popular mythologies (Cain implies he actually was a Roman Centurion at some point in the movie He Never Died, for example.). It also references his longevity and the fact that he's been pretty constant throughout ms's history while still remaining the same NC we've known for years. While others have come and gone, Nero has been here, playing mafia and watching the site change around him, a remnant of a forgotten age.

Also, it's less potentially insulting than While Rome Burned as it doesn't imply Nero was passive in the face of the collapse of MS.
This is a Parachute.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2763 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:11 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

that does not speak to me at ALL re nero
green shirt thursdays
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #2764 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:24 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

In post 2758, PrivateI wrote:Zoraster and I hosted the nonanonymous Large Social Game Survivor: The Real Theme Was Inside Us All Along
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2765 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:07 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 2762, Jingle wrote:Nom Nero for Last Centurion.
I love this!

Nth
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #2766 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:25 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 2765, Aristophanes wrote:
I love this!

Nth
Nth
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #2767 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:55 pm

Post by PrivateI »

In post 2764, D3f3nd3r wrote:
In post 2758, PrivateI wrote:Zoraster and I hosted the nonanonymous Large Social Game Survivor: The Real Theme Was Inside Us All Along
Oh no! Too many nonanonymous games in one year for me...been awhile since we've been able to say that.
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #2768 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:57 pm

Post by xofelf »

I wonder if we can fix that, Monty?
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #2769 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:57 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 2762, Jingle wrote:
In post 2757, Aristophanes wrote:Inb4 yall get a warning for being off topic
pffft. Mastina thinks I'm too entertaining to warn about being off topic.
(Actually it more stems from the fact that I know that some titles that're really damn good have originated from off-topic discussions, so a few off-topic posts I won't mind on occasion, but if you're gonna post pages upon pages of it and/or do it constantly, then we're gonna have issues.)
In post 2765, Aristophanes wrote:
I love this!
Nth
For the record, while I feel like Jingle's explanation of the title was a little bit forced, some parts of his nomination do resonate with me in that Nero does genuinely give off the vibe quite frequently of being, so to speak, 'the old man whose ways have largely died out'. While he's far from the only geriatric player onsite, and while the title is partially a username reference, this particular title feels like it's unique to him and not generically applicable to everyone and is more than just a cheap username pun, in that it feels like it might work specifically because of being not one of those traits but a combination of both.

So, I feel like this has potential, but I do want some rather extensive further discussion on it.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2770 (ISO) » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:49 am

Post by Nero Cain »

back in my days a cell phone was just a phone!

Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #2771 (ISO) » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:27 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 2764, D3f3nd3r wrote:
I thought it meant that we were both zor Alts. (Which then means he cheated)
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #2772 (ISO) » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:16 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 2769, mastina wrote:For the record, while I feel like Jingle's explanation of the title was a little bit forced, some parts of his nomination do resonate with me in that Nero does genuinely give off the vibe quite frequently of being, so to speak, 'the old man whose ways have largely died out'. While he's far from the only geriatric player onsite, and while the title is partially a username reference, this particular title feels like it's unique to him and not generically applicable to everyone and is more than just a cheap username pun, in that it feels like it might work specifically because of being not one of those traits but a combination of both.
This is pretty much what I wanted to get across.

With that said, I agree with reck that it’s not a perfect fit, and would welcome any attempts to build on it to make a better title.
This is a Parachute.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #2773 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:09 am

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

Maybe the real snub
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #2774 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:35 am

Post by Isis »

I'm going to set forth
Gandalf
(or
the Grey
, perhaps, because it implies that). Gandalf is a character that was around a very long time, appearing in the prequels and outliving lots of characters, so he was a bringer of oldschool. He also played a sort of supportive role and Nero Cain likes to backup mod and do volunteer VCs in games.
I think it would be a good bit more accessible than "Last Centurion" because it seems like I have to read Jingle's post to understand the title.
I don't know if Jingle's title makes more sense if I had viewed Dr. Who, but there's a larger total number of people who have viewed the LOTR films compared to Dr. Who afaik. (and like if someone wants to one-up me with a Star Wars title or whatever that they think fits I would call that valid!)
One of NC's alts/hydras is Smeagol so he's probably viewed the LOTR films.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"

Return to “Player Titles”