stop fakeclaiming as town!: the case for lynch all liars

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Shoshin
Shoshin
Jack of All Trades
Shoshin
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #170 (isolation #0) » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:34 pm

Post by Shoshin »

Lies that benefit town are almost always a strong indication that the liar is town. Lies that hurt town are usually scum indicative, though not always. Every game is different, and I don't think strict rules about how to play are helpful or fun. You're going to make mistakes as town, lynching your own teammates happens, and sometimes you might even get yourself lynched.

In my view, fakeclaiming is a rhetorical technique, not much different from, say, writing up an extensive case with all sorts of logical & emotional appeals. I don't think cases are helpful 99% of the time, just as I don't think fakeclaiming is helpful most of the time. In general, both tend to entrench reads that maybe you need to reevaluate. But every now & then, casing or fakeclaiming helps lynch scum or protect townies. So I support the limited use of both, on rare occasions.

That said, I've always thought that you shouldn't trust investigative results over behaviors -- and I've actively ignored alleged guiltiest to positive effect before. If people followed that philosophy more, there'd be a lot less fakeclaiming because it wouldn't have any rhetorical power.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”