Playerlist or Setup

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nancy Drew 39
Survivor

Pronoun: She

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:02 pm

Which is more important to your enjoyment of a game?
Thing with Nancy is we just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it.

(I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~ the worst

Ircher
What A Grand Idea

Pronoun: He

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:43 pm

Both.

Playerlist is important because pretty much all of the day play revolves around it. If you are in a playerlist with a bunch of people you don't like, it's guaranteed to be an unpleasant experience, regardless of the setup.

Likewise, a setup where the odds are overwhelmingly against you is not going to be fun to play either.
Links: User Page | Player Ratings
Hosting: Level Up 2 - Active [7/4+]
Ongoing: Battle of Calculasia [Finished!]
Theorem of the Week: Fubini's Theorem: The order of integration does not matter when integrating a continuous function on a rectangular region. This theorem generalizes to higher dimensions as well.

Jake The Wolfie
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:37 pm

So basically what you're telling me is that a truly random grand idea with players you hate would be the epitome of unfun experience?

Ythan
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:09 pm

Playerlist times infinity.

Equinox
Shot Count

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:43 am

Player list. A harmonious game makes working with the setup easier. No setup can save a player list where there are multiple conflicts.
the assumption of good faith is dead

Jake The Wolfie
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:05 am

Currently: Setup.

I just don't have a blacklist of any kind.

Something_Smart
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:13 am

In terms of what makes an unfun game: either. Bad setup can make you feel like the game is stacked while it's going on, or run in circles chasing incorrect mechanical arguments, or just directly make the game not fun. Bad players can... well, that one's kinda obvious.

In terms of what makes an exceptionally fun game: neither, really, but they both contribute. A good playerlist is conducive to a game being great, but it's possible to have really meaningful experiences with people you hardly know, or even people you didn't like playing with in the past; it depends on the specifics of the game. Similarly, a good setup makes a game more likely to be great, but it still has to play out in an interesting way (even great setups sometimes have all their cool roles killed off early or their interesting interactions never happen).
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can make me think I deserved it. ~Randall Munroe

Farren
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:57 pm

I'd agree with player list. A bad player list is more likely to result in a bad experience for everyone than a bad setup. Plus it's easier to learn lessons from a bad setup and rework it to a better one than it is to fix the problems caused by a bad player list.
Splendor - Game 10 is in progress.
Fresco - coming soonish to a Mish-Mash near you ...

the worst
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:10 pm

In post 3, Ythan wrote:Playerlist times infinity.

Starbuck
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:20 pm

In post 8, the worst wrote:
<3 Kise, Reck, dram, tans, & Kats <3

Taly
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:52 am

Imo, playerlist can save a game if the setup is wack.

Setup cannot save a playerlist that is a pain in the ass.
"The human race is bad at reading Taly." ~the worst
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
"Taly wins for the most fence-sitty reads in a game ever" ~Battle Mage

Ythan
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:11 am

I'd happily play the wackest setup with the dreamiest dream team.

mastina
False Prophet

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:06 am

I prefer a playerlist that has a mixture of names I know well and names I don't know well.
I prefer setups that either appeal to me or are run by a moderator that I inherently have some trust in. (Notably, trust does not necessarily mean "I trust they will create a balanced setup", nor does it necessarily mean "I trust they will create a fun setup", but it does mean that I trust them to run a setup that will be at least one of the two and not run an unbalanced setup that is unfun for me to play.)

These days I pretty much never play without both requirements being met.

the worst
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:06 pm

In post 12, mastina wrote:I prefer a playerlist that has a mixture of names I know well and names I don't know well.

i'll actually cosign this
i think the perfect playerlist is probably a combination of cool people i enjoy playing with (ideally without actually cliquing necessarily, real friends miselim each other >:c) and newer players/people i haven't really had experiences with yet but who i have positive impressions of

sometimes newbie games end up with like, surprisingly ideal playerlists, despite that being a kind of semi-misnomer because 2/3 of them are unknown to me!

Menalque
Rising Star

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:55 pm

In post 9, Starbuck wrote:
In post 8, the worst wrote:
not joining new mafia games until 155 days, 0 hours, 17 minutes, please don't invite me to anything in the meantime
~~~
“I thought Menalque played a measured and dashing game.” ~ FakeGod
“boredom from low quality play burns the soul.” ~ ducky

Nancy Drew 39
Survivor

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:35 pm

I need both. I obviously will enjoy a game much more if I enjoy the people I’m playing with but playing in a boring, convoluted, confusing or frustrating setup that is ridiculously swingy is also really unfun.
Thing with Nancy is we just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it.

~ the worst

Menalque
Rising Star

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:08 pm

playing in bad setups is okay so long as you have no intention of taking the game seriously
not joining new mafia games until 155 days, 0 hours, 17 minutes, please don't invite me to anything in the meantime
~~~
“I thought Menalque played a measured and dashing game.” ~ FakeGod
“boredom from low quality play burns the soul.” ~ ducky

TheGoldenParadox
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:57 pm

In post 16, Menalque wrote:playing in bad setups is okay so long as you have no intention of taking the game seriously

Guillotina
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:29 pm

Setup. I don't take what happens in games personal. I adhere to the "bubble" that is characteristic of Mafia games.

Nero Cain
Game of the Year

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:31 am

theme? outside of opens you won't know the setup. I mean, you can usually guess at the distribution od alignments but that's about all. I mostly avoid everyone that I don't want to play with but even then I'm a big believer in multiple chances. So I just join games that have an interesting theme or something that I like.
Join the MS Fantasy Football League today!.

ONLY 10,501 POSTS TO GO!

Nancy Drew 39
Survivor

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:34 am

In post 19, Nero Cain wrote:theme? outside of opens you won't know the setup. I mean, you can usually guess at the distribution od alignments but that's about all. I mostly avoid everyone that I don't want to play with but even then I'm a big believer in multiple chances. So I just join games that have an interesting theme or something that I like.

This is why Nero is so awesome.

~ the worst

callforjudgement
Microprocessor

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:12 pm

A game generally sucks if the setup is bad, and it becomes clear during the game that the setup is bad. (Note that even a massively unbalanced setup can be fun to play if you don't realise it until the game is over.)

A game generally also sucks if the playerlist is bad, something which always becomes clear during the game itself (if the dayplay goes fine, it wasn't a bad playerlist).

As such, I would guess that playerlist is more important than setup, but both are somewhat important.
scum · scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn · town

the worst
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:59 pm

In post 18, Guillotina wrote:Setup. I don't take what happens in games personal. I adhere to the "bubble" that is characteristic of Mafia games.

I don't take much personally either. But boredom from low quality play burns the soul.

Gamma Emerald
Survivor

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:48 am

Playerlist
That’s like 90% of why I join most normal games
“Let it go, and move on.”

Visit my GTKAS pages here or here!
Current status: controlling number of mafia games until further notice.

[ + ]

Return to Mafia Discussion