Raw, Unfiltered, UPICK (14/14)

For archiving signup threads after their corresponding games are complete.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Raw, Unfiltered, UPICK (14/14)

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:15 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Backup-mod: Alisae
Reviewer: Alisae

My second UPick, and the third and potentially final game in a series of games tied loosely together by a single narrative, henceforth dubbed the Ordeals of Gamma.

Playerlist
  1. Jake The Wolfie
  2. Vaxkiller
  3. Flea the Magician
  4. Fidget
  5. Porkens
  6. Turin Turambar
  7. Marky Mark
  8. Venus Mars and Pluto (Nancy Draw 39 + Auro + Shiro)
  9. Grendel
  10. Guillotina
  11. Uncrowned
  12. chkflip
  13. Not Known 15
  14. cassowary
The Rules
  1. Follow all site rules.

2. Mod colour
    – My mod colour is
    Teal
    ; avoid using it.
  3. Behaviour
    - Don’t be a dick. This is a heated game but toxicity will not be tolerated. Attack the play not the player. If your fellow players tell you to stop, you must stop. If you do not stop, I will tell you to stop. If you still do not stop, you will be force-replaced. Asking people to stop voting you or to stop scumhunting you entirely doesn't count for this rule and you may find yourself yeeted if you try it.
  4. Don't talk about ongoing games
    - You may not talk to each other about this game outside of threads I have created for this purpose. You may not talk about other ongoing games in this thread. Saying something has to do with ongoing games and leaving it at that is fine, though excessive use of this may result in a warning.
  5. Images and GIFs
    - I have no qualms with them being posted, but if there’s sensitive content or if it’s especially large I request you put it in a spoiler= tag.
  6. Tiny text
    - is awful to read, keep it 70+ please.
  7. Provable randomness
    - is against the rules. Saying that you rolled a dice is fine, using dice tags or random.org is not.
  8. Claiming scum
    - by yourself is fine. Claiming scum with another player is against the rules.
  9. Cryptography
    - is forbidden. Breadcrumbing is okay. Shared reminiscence as breadcrumbing blurs the line, so be careful with it.
  10. Confirmation
    - You have about 48 hours to confirm your role and your alignment by PM. Game will start sooner if everyone confirms. Posting in a private topic counts as confirmation.
  11. Days
    - Day 1 will last 14 days. All day phases will last 10 days from then until <9 players are alive, at which point they will last 8 days. If a kill happens in the middle of the day, the deadline will be restored to the appropriate measure (14 days on D1, or whatever is correct for the current number of living players on following days). Extensions may be granted if there are replacements or other reasonable circumstances that necessitate an extension. Not using discussion time efficiently is not a valid reason.
  12. Activity and Replacing Out
    - You must post at least once every 48 hours or I will Prod you. You then have 24 hours to post in the game thread or I will replace you. If you come back before I find a replacement, you can stay. The activity timers run at half-speed on weekends. Players can request me to prod somebody early. This will only count as an official prod if you don't post before you would have been due for a prod. If you were prodded and haven't posted in the 24 hours before the thread is locked for night, you must reply to the night start PM or you will be replaced during the night.
    When it comes to replacing out by choice, please PM me requesting to do so. You may replace back in if I have not found a suitable replacement, but if I believe you are abusing this I may reject it. Do not constantly request to replace out and then change your mind, or you will end up blacklisted from future games I mod.
  13. Angleshooting
    - angleshooting may not be disciplined, but it is inadvised. I will attempt to police any hostile interactions based on the in-thread contents and not the contents of the Role PMs of the offenders. Please also avoid speculating about the legitimacy of IRL circumstances, especially in regards to replacing out. However, if the replace out speculation happens to involve game events, it will likely be left alone, as due to the game-bending nature of replace outs some leniency must be allowed in this regard.
  14. Trust Tells
    - If you're behaving in a way that could be perceived as trust telling I will likely try to warn you first, but beyond that I will take whatever action I deem necessary. Any communication regarding this should be handled in private; trying to drag private communications regarding this into the thread may result in harsh retribution.
  15. Vacation/Limited Access
    - If you need to be absent for longer than this, you should declare
    V/LA
    in bold in the thread like this: [
    b]
    @Mod: I will be v/la until Thursday
    [
    /b]. While you are V/LA, you will be nudged once every 72 hours. Two nudges equals one prod. If you have not posted game advancing content in 7 days, regardless of V/LA status, you will be replaced.
  16. Prodging
    - A naked "prod dodge" does not reset the prod timer. To avoid being prodded/replaced for inactivity, include some game advancing content in your prodges, such as "got prodded; xxxx is still scum."
  17. Quoting
    - You may not quote (or copy paste) any private information into the thread, including your role PM and any mod communication.
  18. Voting
    - Votes must be in bold in the format VOTE: Gamma Emerald or
    Vote: Gamma Emerald
    . Strong preference for using vote tags instead of bold tags. Unvotes are nice but not required. If I think it’s a vote, it’s a vote, no tricks. Type [
    v] Gamma Emerald[
    /v] to vote and [
    uv] Gamma Emerald[
    /uv] to unvote.
  19. Yeeting
    - Days end early when a simple majority of players (50% of living players + 1 rounded down) vote to yeet somebody. If a majority is not reached at deadline or if a majority of the players vote to no yeet/abstain, the day will end with an abstention from yeeting. At evens, 50% is sufficient for an abstain.
  20. The L-word.
    - While players are still allowed to use the L-word, in order to make it easier to interface with player posts if the need arises, please refrain from using it. I will not be enforcing this rule, it just exists to remind you. Suitable alternatives are eliminate, yeet, fade, etc. If you’re unaware of the issue in particular, review this topic.
  21. Twilight
    - Begins when a majority is reached and lasts until I lock the thread. You're still alive until I flip you so you can talk in any game threads you have access to until then, but no votes or unvotes will be counted.
  22. Night
    - Night lasts at least 48 hours. The night phase can be shortened if every living player -- even those with no night actions -- agrees to it and if I'm not busy.
  23. Action submissions
    - You may submit actions via PM or any PT where your role is meant to be known to others in it (scum PT or a personal/hydra PT). If the actions are not submitted by the deadline then you do nothing. You can change your mind as many times as you like before the deadline.
  24. Reminders
    - If I don't hear from you about your night actions, I'll PM you 24 hours before the deadline. This doesn't count as a prod. If I still don't hear from you, you will take no action.
  25. Personal/Hydra PTs
    - Let me know if you want a private thread to store your thoughts and feedback for the other players. Releasing these postgame is your prerogative, and to enable this all personal PTs will have mod rights given to the one who asked for it. You may draft posts in your notes PT but you may not talk about your notes PT in public. You definitely may not use the notes PT to demonstrate that you've had a town mindset in private all along; just put your town mindset in public to begin with and keep your notes to yourself.
    As for Hydra PTs, I will provide all hydras a PT at the start of the game. If you’d rather use discord, please use a server and add me so I can make sure no funny business occurs.
  26. Play to win
    - this particular game, not some future one, and keep it fun!
As a final note, rules here are subject to change as needed.

The Setup
  1. This is a UPick. As such, when you /in you are expected to provide at least 1 flavor pick for me to design a role from. I’d like at least 3 from each slot, but I’ll take up to 5, replacing old submissions with new ones as they come in.
  2. Faction numbers are variable dependent on final game size. Expect the mafia team to comprise about 1/4 of the total players. There may be at least one third party, possibly two if the game is large enough (19+ is when I'll start considering that).
  3. While this game does involve non-random role distribution via the UPick aspect, don't expect anything crazy-bastard, like alignments changes (outside of a potential cult), or full on mod lies. This is meant to be a fun game and jerking players around isn't fun.
Last edited by Gamma Emerald on Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 23 times in total.
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:24 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Jsyk, while the exact date and time at which it happens may vary, I intend to close off sign-ups on December 20th assuming enough players are in by then. The actual game will not start until December 27th at the earliest, which gives me reasonable time to work on setup design and also averts the Christmas-time issue of lack of player activity I believe.
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (isolation #2) » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:03 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

picks should be submitted privately, but I'll take them in public if you want. But the general trend is to submit them via PM to the mod.
<Embrace The Void>

Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (isolation #3) » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:08 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

very unlikely, if you're openly gaming the system. I can't guarantee gaming the system in secret will fare better, but I'm more likely to actively give you a role to mess with you if you try to aim for something in particular. It's easier to subvert the expectations of someone who makes their expectations known.
<Embrace The Void>

Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (isolation #4) » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:41 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

You can pick from the same source or different sources, anything works.
<Embrace The Void>

Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #26 (isolation #5) » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:33 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I have removed That Slime Collective from the playerlist under the assumption that is the same person as The Slime Collective. If that player wants to play and is not that person I will accept them back if they disclose their true identity.
<Embrace The Void>

Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (isolation #6) » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:10 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 27, Guillotina wrote:I'd love to in but im confused about this:

This is a UPick. As such, when you /in you are expected to provide at least 1 flavor pick for me to design a role from. I’d like at least 3 from each slot, but I’ll take up to 5,

What exactly are we picking from? What theme? Or character or what?
You can select favorite characters from books or tv shows, historical figures you find interesting, or even random concepts and ideas. That should give a good base of what's possible (which is in effect anything you can think of, keeping within site rules of course).
<Embrace The Void>

Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #32 (isolation #7) » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:20 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

that's 10 people, meaning we crossed into mini size player count. 4 more to be a valid large!
<Embrace The Void>

Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #34 (isolation #8) » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:41 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Another person lost to the banhammer. Yikes.
<Embrace The Void>

Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #36 (isolation #9) » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:49 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

If we end up waiting that long I’ll send them a reminder PM, but until then they’re off the list to make room for other players (though at this rate there’s no way this hits the hard cap of 24)
<Embrace The Void>

Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (isolation #10) » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:43 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Subject: Ban/Restriction Announcements
Isis wrote:
Blatant Scum, his alt The Slime Collective, and all other alts have been banned from mafia for one week for intentionally misgendering another user. As the recent update to community guidelines makes clear, those who make mafiascum an unwelcoming place to play for a segment of our users are themselves unwelcome here.

As a reminder, do not discuss ongoing games.
Subject: Ban/Restriction Announcements
Untrod Tripod wrote:
shellyc has been banned from all mafia games for 14 days for quoting a Role PM in a game thread. She will need to be replaced in any games she is currently in.
<Embrace The Void>

Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #45 (isolation #11) » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:20 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Quick note on how sign-ups closing will be handled. Once we hit enough players to start, I will set the topic to auto-lock at 11:59 PM EST that day. Until then the opportunity still exists to join, so if you’re on the fence time will remain.
By the way, please remember to submit picks, preferably via PM, but discord DMs also work if you’d prefer. For the most part people have been good about submitting close to when they joined but I’m still waiting on a few. Once the playerlist is locked in I will PM reminders to anyone still needing to provide picks.
<Embrace The Void>

Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #47 (isolation #12) » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:05 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Auto-lock didn’t do its job so I have to do this manually
<Embrace The Void>

Return to “Completed Signups”