Nahdia's Indie Game Thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:57 pm

Post by Isis »

Did you think the characters weren't well calibrated or were underdeveloped? The first time you talked about Crosscode it seemed like you were saying something was off rather than missing, your second take sounds like "something was missing".
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:14 pm

Post by Nahdia »

Can I say both? I think those weird moments at the end could have worked but... it would have been quite difficult with the way the game was set up. Gautham at least does get some development in the final dungeon before his sudden death. Though it is delivered in a somewhat hamfisted way and it makes him end up looking like a fucking lunatic, so that the game then tells you to feel bad for him and that he's a tragic villain is... odd. Sidwell on the other hand really needed more development somewhere along the line but again his final scene just... I don't see how you could make that make sense unless you add another chapter or something, I dunno.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
Tatsuya Kaname
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:44 pm

Post by Tatsuya Kaname »

New recommendation: Deemo -Reborn-
Embark the journey to life-changing fortune in Para{dice} Trinity: The Quest for Spirits' Fortune, a luck-based casual arcade Mish Mash game by Tatsuya Kaname!

Yes. Making too many hoods is moderator suicide. -Enter
I want to shoot this post in the face with a flamethrower. - zakk
Saudade
Saudade
Survivor
Saudade
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:49 am

Post by Saudade »

I remember enjoying life is strange a lot when i played it
Passion or coincidence once prompted you to say
"Pride will tear us both apart"
Well, now pride's gone out the window
Cross the rooftops, run away
Saudade
Saudade
Survivor
Saudade
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:50 am

Post by Saudade »

oooo have you played Bastion?
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:23 am

Post by Nahdia »

Yes! I love and all of Supergiant's games. Doing a replay through Pyre rn. Also Hades just had its official release and I never got it on early axes so I probably will pick that up soon.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

-Zaphkael, 2020
Saudade
Saudade
Survivor
Saudade
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:21 am

Post by Saudade »

early axes
Saudade
Saudade
Survivor
Saudade
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:21 am

Post by Saudade »

Im playing through hades right now o/
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:46 am

Post by Nahdia »

lolphone posting

-Zaphkael, 2020
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:58 pm

Post by Isis »

someone gave me a code for a 3 month free trial for game pass, if I don't actually like it and forget and cancel late it's like 4 months for the price of one and probably ok and etc.
Touhou Luna Nights looks fun and cute?
There's a lot of the kind of type of stuff that doesn't interest me anymore like shooters and RTS on here.
I told myself I'd finish optional content in Your Turn To Die next when I abandoned Underhero.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:30 pm

Post by Vi »

I've heard good things about Luna Nights, so if Castlevania is your thing, etc.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:26 pm

Post by Isis »

Yeah I usually like things marked Metroidvania
"Well, I..."
Felissan
Felissan
Goon
Felissan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:57 am

Post by Felissan »

I'll go ahead and recommend Terra Nil. It's a small freeware game expanding on a Ludum Dare entry, that I really loved and would enjoy seeing more people's thoughts on.
"Dammit Felissan, making someone lose the game is NOT NICE"
- DeathRowKitty 2016
"Also, the me in your signature just made the me in this thread lose the game and I'm not sure how to feel about this."
- DeathRowKitty 2018
"You've made me make myself lose the game so many times that I feel like it's an entirely new game I'm losing"
- DeathRowKitty 2022
Saudade
Saudade
Survivor
Saudade
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:32 pm

Post by Saudade »

Meg's voice actor is amazing
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:40 am

Post by Isis »

I beat Luna Nights
"Well, I..."
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:39 pm

Post by Nahdia »

this weekend while in exile, i played Hades and the new Highway Blossoms DLC. The latter (it's another visual novel) I have clever thoughts on I will write about at some point.

Hades I don't really think I have anything special to add to the wider conversation going on. It's an
extremely
good game, very likely a top contender for GOTY 2020. Supergiant has never made a game that isn't very good (their other works are Bastion, Transition, and Pyre), but while I loved their previous works, this is undoubtedly their crowning achievement. There are plenty of gameplay videos out there so I won't go at length to try to explain that aspect, but I will say ever if you haven't been a fan of roguelites in the past, try Hades anyway. It's one of those games that I think transcends the usually boundaries of a genre's audience by how much of a joy it is to play. Not to mention any lover of games can appreciate the incredible craftsmanship that went into this game, even moreso than Supergiant's previous titles. It's both the little details and the broad strokes that make this game so great. Also, you can pet a dog!!!

Seriously, go play Hades. I've been playng it on my Switch, but it's also on Steam!
Last edited by Nahdia on Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Zaphkael, 2020
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:53 pm

Post by Nahdia »

In post 87, Felissan wrote:I'll go ahead and recommend Terra Nil. It's a small freeware game expanding on a Ludum Dare entry, that I really loved and would enjoy seeing more people's thoughts on.
gave it a quick try. may play some more tomorrow. my initial impression though is that it's very zen...i like that they have a mode where you can just turn the score off, because i feel like it's not the game where I would really want to be worrying about the maximizing my score aspect and more just want to enjoy my greening up everything.

-Zaphkael, 2020
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:41 pm

Post by Isis »

I didn't think this thread was going to conspire against my wallet's interests so much
"Well, I..."
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:12 am

Post by Nahdia »

Actually huh it's almost October, wow. GOTY season is coming up.

In the Conversation: (* indicates a game I haven't played)

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Crusader Kings III?
Death Stranding*
Final Fantasy 7: Remake*
Ghost of Tsushima*
Hades
Half-Life: Alyx*
The Last of Us Part II*
Ori and the Will of the Wisp* (but I plan to play it soonish)
Persona 5 Royal*
Resident Evil 3*
Spelunky 2
Valorant

haven't come out yet come out yet but the rest of the year in releases has:
the new Watchdogs game, Cyberpunk 2077, a new Assassins Creed

my own pick would be between Animal Crossing and Hades. I have hard recency bias rn so I'd have to get some distance before I confidantly choose between them, but dang is Hades good.

My guess for the most prevelent industry pick is The Last of Us Part II or maybe Cyberpunk 2077 depending on how its release goes. Some publications will also throw Animal Crossing: New Leaf in there for its cultural impact in the early days of the coronavirus pandemic.

-Zaphkael, 2020
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:41 am

Post by Isis »

There's a spelunky 2?
Its weird to hear there is a sequel since I just barely managed to beat it and am aware of tons of stretch goal stuff you can do that I def don't feel up to accomplishing
"Well, I..."
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:50 am

Post by petapan »

it just came out, was kind of a low-key release

loved the hell out of the original freeware game but don't know if i need more of it in my life

from looking at a few videos seems like there's a lot of new stuff though
free crypto
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:45 am

Post by Ythan »

Ghost of Tsushima is just Souls for scrubs.
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:53 am

Post by Nahdia »

happy christmas i'm bumping this thread today:

Murder by Numbers is half visual novel (on the slightly more interactive side of things), half picross. Both of these halves are well made and are supported by loving crafted visual and music. There's even a really impressive animated intro sequence! And yet I struggle with whether I would recommend this game to anyone. The reviews are mostly positive so maybe the issue I take with it is a
me
thing.

As I said, the individual elements of this game are good. The best way I can sum up the game is that it's all the investigation portions of an Ace Attorney game, but instead of just clicking on stuff to find it, you need to solve a picross puzzle too. Fun! And really, the writers do deserve a lot of credit here. I'm not done yet though the mysteries I've solved have been a bit simpler than an Ace Attorney game (to be fair, there's no equivalent to the trials so they really only have half the space to deliver). That said, the flow and pacing of the writing is nice. The characters are charming. And there's a great balance of humor, mystery, and tension throughout. And the picross element... well, you'd have to try to mess that up, really. It's a perfectly serviceable picross game.

Here's the problem though. These two halves really don't fit together. And that's not for lack of trying! It's not like they just slapped two separate games on top of each other. The developers clearly did put some thought into how they could make picross part of the narrative and how they could make the narrative lend itself to... well, more picross puzzles. But despite that it just doesn't work. And I hate to say it, but the problem is actually at the very base level. The very core conceit of this game is, for me at least, fundamentally an unworkable one. Combining a detailed visual novel and a puzzle game that isn't really related to that narrative (I mean, the pictures you draw are of usually of clues... but if you've ever played picross, you know the pictures tend to be a bit of a stretch) just does not work.

It would be one thing if the visual novel aspects were like, waaaaaaaay toned down. And I
visual novels. Heck, I like
this
visual novel. But constantly having to go back and forth between having to be thinking about the mystery ("okay, where am I going to look for clues now? what evidence should I present here to get my next lead?") and having to play picross is jarring no matter how much they try to mesh them together. I also like picross, but both visual novels and picross are things I have to be in the mood for. And this game demonstrates to me that it is decidedly not the same mood. I tend to like putting on a podcast or something while I play picross, but I can't do that, because as soon as I finish the puzzle I'm now straight back to reading. It's like having a pint of Ben & Jerry's and a bowl of spaghetti aglio e olio, and having to alternate between a spoonful of the ice cream and a bite of the pasta. Both are good, and it's not like you're making them gross by mixing them together in the same dish, but consuming them at the same sitting is unpleasant.

The reviews are favorable, so I guess not everyone has this problem. But it really is too bad because I can see this game was crafting with a lot of love and it is a really polished final indie product. And for a very fair price too; it's on sale on both PC and Switch right now! But as it stands... I'm not sure I'm gonna finish Murder by Numbers. Part of me wants to struggle through it to see what happens in the game since I have started to get attached to these characters. But I just find myself disengaging so rapidly.

-Zaphkael, 2020
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:42 am

Post by petapan »

imo when the puzzles aren't really connected with the story/environment in an adventure game it's just lazy design. i've been obsessed with picross the past few months but i don't want a narrative surrounding the puzzles, i just want to tap the boxes
free crypto
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:37 am

Post by Nahdia »

i'd stop short of calling it lazy because it's obvious they put a looot of work into this game. it just doesn't work despite all that work :(

-Zaphkael, 2020

Return to “The Arcade”