Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:42 pm

Post by Isis »

I like the second one better. The setup conceit seems fine.

One concern I'd have from a design perspective is the mafia making an assumption that that cop is only gated by the enabler, an assumption that would have been virtually correct in your first draft and is pretty defensible for that reason. That could lead to them shooting based on PR spec rather than read quality more often, which isn't the worst thing ever but might be the kind of thing scumteams complain about not enjoying (the setup had red herrings etc). They'll actually do pretty fine in V2 if they shoot obvtown townies and hope they flip miller but if they think they only have one roleblock and there's an ungated sane cop that could seem more important than anything else in the game.

You could either give the mafia more information, or bring the assumption back to essentially correct by going with a N2N3 cop. Or maybe just ignore it because it's not a bulletproof vengeful level setup criticism or anything.

pedit: yeah I could understand the concept on reading it.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #6 (isolation #1) » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:26 pm

Post by Isis »

I think N2N4N6 cop is actually higher swing than N2N3 cop.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #7 (isolation #2) » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:28 pm

Post by Isis »

I'm implicitly conceding the other points in stating that one.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #13 (isolation #3) » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:15 pm

Post by Isis »

A cop that has survived to report on their N4 shot is necessarily in an extremely good position for town, but is unlikely and unexpected to get there. The N4 investigation is more likely to be also alive and was also targeted with a more mature understanding of the gamestate.
The potential to possibly investigate 3 times is very high swing because most of the time that possibility was enabled it will be because the jailkeeper connected, which is itself a townswing.
Zero investigation scenarios also happen slightly more on the even cop, with the N2 investigation getting roleblocked N2 or investigating the NK N2 and the macho dying N3, N2N3 cop gets a medium performance with one investigation when that happens, even cop gets nothing..
I haven't been reviewing long so maybe I understand swing backwards but those seem like the lower probability events with higher advantaged states for one side.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #14 (isolation #4) » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:16 pm

Post by Isis »

oh yeah, it is a good point that it feels bad for there to come a later point when macho hunting is 100% pointless.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #15 (isolation #5) » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:17 pm

Post by Isis »

i'd probably pass the setup as-is if I was primary
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #18 (isolation #6) » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:24 pm

Post by Isis »

In post 16, JacksonVirgo wrote:Would Odd-Night Cop be a better fit and make the JKer Novice so they get at least one check? Mafia is very unlikely to hit a Cop check.
It dents the conceit of the setup a lot since claiming miller day1 is punished less. But it seems fine.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #20 (isolation #7) » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:34 pm

Post by Isis »

If I understand enabler properly, a D1 miller claim means the miller is NKed night one but the cop gets one investigation that occurs the same night. With even night, there's no investigations at all.

It's fine though.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #27 (isolation #8) » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:29 am

Post by Isis »

I think you're missing that JacksonVirgo made it a compulsive novice 2 shot cop because we told them a N2N3 cop would be good, and a Compulsive Novice 2-shot cop is almost equivalent. It's not equivalent though, there's a subtle distinction that a night specific power role can decline to act, in spite of having fewer opportunities to act. Night Specific specifying a range of nights is normal and is what I think is the best fit here. The pitfall with novice compulsive is that it implies the town tracker is perhaps scum tracker, and the mod designing the setup wanted to ensure scum were able to get rewarded for locating the cop early. The pitfall with novice 2-shot is that if the cop makes an accurate assessment they are very likely to survive through night 4, they could holster Night 3 but then get punished when the Miller Enabler they knew nothing about gets killed. It's a very risky and unlikely call to make anyway that would be pretty rarely seen, so novice 2 shot is definitely better than novice 2 shot compulsive, but I like the straight night specific best.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #28 (isolation #9) » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:31 am

Post by Isis »

The mafia role PMs let you confirm for the game without learning your partners, which is in the family of banned Quagmire stratz
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #29 (isolation #10) » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:33 am

Post by Isis »

Actually maybe you should think about designing that into your tool? Like the membership of the scumteam is a piece of information you could set one time, then the mafia role PMs could automatically print the list, excluding the member receiving the PM. It's something to automate.
"Well, I..."

Return to “Completed Game Reviews”