Non-Fantasy Tabletop Roleplaying Games

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #7 (isolation #0) » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:41 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Ten Candles is an annual play for us
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #9 (isolation #1) » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:49 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

i mean basically all of powered by the apocalypse can probably fit that mold, and it has like a million hacks/spinoff systems
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #13 (isolation #2) » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:34 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 10, Akarin wrote:
In post 7, xRECKONERx wrote:Ten Candles is an annual play for us
I have this in pdf but never had a chance to play it. The physical prop thing for horror really works well though. Have you played Dread too, or just Ten Candles?
i've played dread as well
ten candles has produced some of the most emotional RPG sessions for me

i've had interviews and talks with the designer of it, he's fantastic, but designing a system so... powerful is just... i don't know how he did it.
i can tell you exactly what has happened every single session of this game ive ever played. it has been emotional and transformative for people ive played it with. almost like some kind of therapy

it does get extremely dark and fucked up sometimes and id probably put it as like, the largest trigger warning ive ever put on a RPG just bc of the dark places it can go

but it's so so extremely creative and fitting for the scenario.

you all know you're doomed. you cannot "win". the question is, how do you want your final moments to go?
it's macabre and just ugh so good
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #16 (isolation #3) » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:52 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 14, brassherald wrote:I am looking into running a Space themed one, likely Star Wars, any suggestions for systems?

Star Wars is preferable because it is the one series that everyone has knowledge of.
I did Edge of the Empire for a group and it was a blast. Granted, you have to dip into the FFG pool of custom dice to do it, but they added to the experience IMO.

It crosses over with Force and Destiny and Age of Rebellion for more classes/customization options... like Edge of the Empire is very specifically a "rogue/scoundrel on the Outer Rims" type thing, while Force and Destiny is much more focused on force sensitive users surviving during Imperial times. Age of Rebellion is more centered around, well, the Rebellion -- and you tend to take on more combat/military-style roles. But all the rules and mechanics can be used interchangeably.

The main downside with FFG's Star Wars systems is there aren't a ton of pre-genned adventures for the systems. There are a handful here and there, but you're gonna have to really know the system to write your own shit, or dive into the side of the homebrewed universe.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #18 (isolation #4) » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:44 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Oh it's way more streamlined than that now. If you did the 3.5 Star Wars system you'll be fine with FFG's.
green shirt thursdays

Return to “The Arcade”