Tracking Karma (manually as of now)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:07 am

Post by RedCoyote »

In general, I think replace outs should count regardless of circumstances. That's why the word karma is so fitting because, you know, life happens and sometimes you drop from a game. You're letting down your Mod and your team, so it should necessarily be stigmatized and frowned upon, hence bad karma. The way you redeem yourself? Replace into games. There's always need, so there's no excuse not to. You didn't fulfill your end of the bargin with one game, but at least you can help another game. That evens it out. That brings balance. You make people happy. Good karma. It's something to strive for.

What if you replace out but are able to find a replacement for yourself so the Mod doesn't have to and there's no "downtime" with the slot? It doesn't happen very often (I think I've only see it happen once or twice in games I've been in), but I think that would be the only way I'd excuse otherwise bad karma.
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:41 am

Post by DeasVail »

It's always going to be difficult to make something like this a perfect representation of reliability, but maybe just having a general idea is good enough without adding all the fancy clauses (obviously force replacements for reasons not to do with the player in question should be excluded though).

Anyway,

Non-Newbie In: 20 (24 if you incl. alts, but yeah idk)
Newbie In: 6
Newbie Out: 0
Non-Newbie Out: 2

3.66 (4.00 with alts)

Those replace-outs are killing me!
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:32 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I think you could probably halve/discount the penalty if it's something like a forced-replacement because of somebody else's error (PlayerY PMs you something game-breaking, you have to replace out, that's in no way your fault) or a situation where you find your own replacement, though that gets awfully subjective awfully fast.
Retired as of October 2014.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:05 pm

Post by talah »

*sigh*

Last thing Imma say about this, it just seems like needless obfuscation to me anyway. Maybe I'm oversensitive 'cause I've needed to replace out of a few games.

The formula to me, seems arbitrary. Why are replace-ins treated with a square-root? Is there any validity to that choice, or any association with reality?

Why are newbie games treated with a doubling? Is that realistic, or arbitrary?

The closest I've seen to reasonable is Pless' suggestion that replace-in replace-out stats are *just there on the page* without even needing some kind of strange index which is more like a hedge-fund calculation than any honest indicator which might let mods or players know who's likely to replace out in future.

Like geez guys. Why don't you just expand scummies to include significant contributors each year?
Rather than naming and shaming based on a formula which doesn't even have a basis in reality.

Since I'm not posting again in this thread:
*every single game I've replaced out of, the circumstances I would defend to the hilt and I feel bad for letting my fellow players and mods down - and I personally PMed each mod at the time regarding the circumstances and apologised about it*
*the mathematics proposed are arbitrary and have nothing to do with how joins, replace-ins and replace-outs actually affect the enjoyability of MafiaScum. They ignore games joined from scratch and completed, and the quality of the gameplay*
*the formula makes it almost impossible for folks who have previously been flakers, to turn over a new leaf. The formula is Dr. Phil on steroids.*
*the formula is designed by an OP who is obviously proud of his own record and therefore is not affected by the strange squared negative scale of the subtraction component of the formula.*

Sorry Cabd but I really sense an unfairness to people who want to change, and/or have been doing their best, and I really despise the idea of a floating red mark on any players. That's what site-bans are about. Karma is NOT anything to do with what your calc would brand on people.
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:13 pm

Post by pieguyn »

I've only replaced out on D1 and I try to do it as early as possible
does that count for anything
ObsessedWithCats
ObsessedWithCats
Goon
ObsessedWithCats
Goon
Goon

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:28 am

Post by ObsessedWithCats »

Hows about a two number score of ins in the past year and outs in the past year? It'd still flag serial flakers (especially those who flake from several games at once), but it wont stain someone's record long term if they have to legitimately replace out a couple of times. It'd encourage people to replace in occasionally to maintain the in score and distinguish the two main reasons for having an overall neutral score. Everyone gets a pair of positive integer numbers, nice and neat.

Mine would be: i3o0

The biggest problem I see with that is keeping it current for players who've been around more than a year, but you'd still have to update it every time you replace in or out so you could just check if any passed the one year mark while you're at it.
kanyeknowsbest
kanyeknowsbest
mafi ascum
kanyeknowsbest
mafi ascum
mafi ascum

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:54 am

Post by kanyeknowsbest »

cabbo can you liost my karma as69 ty
add me on snapchat and vine and twitter and instagram : ]
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:53 pm

Post by talah »

In post 80, ObsessedWithCats wrote:Hows about a two number score of ins in the past year and outs in the past year? It'd still flag serial flakers (especially those who flake from several games at once), but it wont stain someone's record long term if they have to legitimately replace out a couple of times. It'd encourage people to replace in occasionally to maintain the in score and distinguish the two main reasons for having an overall neutral score. Everyone gets a pair of positive integer numbers, nice and neat.
This is not a bad idea if some kind of index is wanted.

You could *shock* even include ongoing games in this kind of non-specific stat, and it's simple. Put a weighting of 1.4 or 1.8 or something more significant on the karma value of Newbie games and track it like so:

Ins: 28
Outs: 5

You could have high-tier karma-gods get awards at scummies time and have bad performance fall off after a refresh period.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:33 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

In post 72, mykonian wrote:newbie in (5): 660, 665, 708, 1282, 1310
newbie out ():
in (15): mini 701, 707, 757, 815, 826, 1055, 1069, 1338, 1525 open 93, 228, 260, large 89, HP/philostone, song contest.
out (3): purified mafia, mini 1526, 1537

4.69. happy.
Nope, that's a 2 via the awkward scoring system. SQRT(15 + (2*5)) - 3 = 2.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:33 am

Post by mykonian »

oooh, the games you go out are outside the sqrt. That makes more sense.

Still. Happy.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:48 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

Would cube rooting games joined and completed from the start make this less negative based, and still helping the community by allowing modes to mod their games?
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Elscouta
Elscouta
Goon
Elscouta
Goon
Goon

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:09 am

Post by Elscouta »

I think the sqrt(Replace-In) should be T*sqrt(Replace-In / T) in order to normalize the karma with number of games played where T is related to the number of games played (i suggest "0.04 * number_games_played", possibly "1 + 0.04*number_games_played" if you don't want very high karmas for low number of games played / high replace-ins). Because with the current system, if i played 20 games, 5 replace-in, 2 replace-out, i have positive karma. If i do the same thing again and go to 40 games, 10 replace-in, 4 replace-out, i get negative karma.

This doesn't sound very right.
I'm town. Please lynch someone else.
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:13 am

Post by yessiree »

Also don't see the point of a single score here. This system also doesn't take into consideration the number of games completed successfully, which is quite a significant quality of about a player. If the goal of this is to introduce a karma system, then completed games should be positive.

Consider the scenario: (for the sake of simplicity, newbie games are omitted)
-user A has 50 games completed successfully, 15 replace-ins, and 7 replace-outs
-user B has 5 games completed successfully, 3 replace-ins, and 1 replace-outs

Under this system:
-user A has a score of -3.13
-user B has a score of 0.73

Just by looking at this single number, user B is the preferred choice if they are fighting for a spot in a game. But that doesn't necessarily mean user B has a less chance to replace-out than user A, given the number of games both players have completed successfully.

While I agree to the idea that replacing out games without significant circumstance should have a permanent effect on players involved, I just don't see the point of having a single score and the exclusion of games completed.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:20 am

Post by BROseidon »

Mod kills and situations that you can't control (i.e., your slot getting modkilled or forced replace b/c of the actions of another player) should count differently, and the whole thing should probably be treated as a ratio with overall games completed or games completed where you played from the start.
Aegor
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:42 am

Post by Aegor »

I still do not see why the ratio is relevant to a mod who does not want players replacing out at all.
Currently partying at the
M A S Q U E R A D E
-- a Large Normal for 21 revelers.
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:34 am

Post by yessiree »

because completing a game from start to finish is an indication that you are less likely to replace out?

come on, make the connections

edit: let me re-word that: having a large number of games completed from start to finish is an indication you are less likely to replace out, and showing the number of games that you have completed will be an indicator of that
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:30 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

In post 88, BROseidon wrote:Mod kills and situations that you can't control (i.e., your slot getting modkilled or forced replace b/c of the actions of another player) should count differently, and the whole thing should probably be treated as a ratio with overall games completed or games completed where you played from the start.
I wouldn't consider these voluntary replacements though. The whole point is to determine how likely a player is to voluntarily replace out. Of course things like breaking the rules resulting in a modkill or mistreating others resulting in a force replacement should be taken into consideration, but that's something different in my opinion.
Art is cool.
Aegor
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:40 pm

Post by Aegor »

In post 90, yessiree wrote:come on, make the connections
Myself, of course wrote:I still do not see why the ratio is relevant to a mod who does not want players replacing out
at all
Showing the number of completed games is certainly helpful, but I would not want the raw score normalized.
Currently partying at the
M A S Q U E R A D E
-- a Large Normal for 21 revelers.
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:00 pm

Post by yessiree »

I do not see why you do not see it is not relevant

if a player has completed 90 out of 100 games successfully, it is a strong indication and has significant relevance to a mod that the player in particular will not replace
at all

but if you really don't wanna display the total numbers (for good reasons), then maybe just show the status of a player's last 5 games
RichardGHP
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
Parama's Alt

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:22 pm

Post by RichardGHP »

In post 75, RedCoyote wrote:That's why the word karma is so fitting because, you know, life happens and sometimes you drop from a game. You're letting down your Mod and your team, so it should necessarily be stigmatized and frowned upon, hence bad karma.
Could just be me, but these two sentences seem to be in conflict with each other.
Guyett
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Hammering Hammered

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:49 pm

Post by Guyett »

Since I signed up I've replaced into 8 newbie games and 6 none newbie games. I haven't replaced out of any.

Guyett 6 8 0 0 4.69
I think a lot about meteors. The purity of them. Boom! The end. Start again. The world made clean for the new man to rebuild.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:02 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 0, Cabd wrote:Your karma score is calculated by a simple formula:

SQRT{(replace ins)+(2*Replace ins newbie games)} - {Replace outs + (2* (Replace outs newbie games))}
"Simple"
(Actually, it is once you realize sqrt is square root)

AristophanesIns: 45
Ins (Newbie): 3
Outs: 10
Outs (Newbie): 0
Karma Score: 6.7

I think I'm doing alright ;)

Ftr I've had this bookmarked for like 3 years now but I never had the stats to plug in.
Now that my games history is up to date on my Wiki I can finally calculate it! =D
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:01 pm

Post by Ircher »

Wow, this is kind of cool. Maybe I can track this to an extent with my Player Ratings. I already keep track of the necessary info. (Ofc, if I did, it comes with the sane caveat as the ratings: I only track games I was in or modded.)
Last edited by Ircher on Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:28 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 97, Ircher wrote:Wow, this is kind of cool. Maybe I can track this to an extent with my Player Ratings. I already keep track of the necessary info. (Ofc, if I did, it comes with the sane caveat as the ratings: I only track games I was in or modded.)
That link brought me to a blank page...

But yeah, I used my Wiki info to do this in mere minutes! Highly recommended if you have the info available :)
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:37 pm

Post by Ircher »

That's because I wrote the link incorrectly. It should work now.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]

Return to “Mafia Discussion”